• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2014. I for one welcome our new Amazon overlords.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I forgot about my recent IST goodies. I got Fear Agent vol 2 library, Batman & Superman HC and Joe the Barbarian ,, Joe the Barbarian is great. Sean Murphy is one of my favs, damn art is so good.

Happy to see some Velvet love. Much deserved.

Edit: I recently broke up with apple, well iPhone anyways, not the iPad I'm using right now. Lol. . I use Comic Shopper App for Andriod. It's really good. Comic Day is good for apple. I think that's the name

Yeah Academy season 2 got a bunch of editorial mandated changes(X-23, White Tiger, removing Speedball/Justice and adding Hawkeye(threw off the chemistry completely), and bad art to boot.

But the Final arc is great. Should of how it went after FI. Did the Final Exam then do the football game/unveiling of the truth.

Messi

Oh Brian K Vaughan... You asshole.

God I love Saga, that was over way too quick. It was funny, adorable and sad all rolled into one issue.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I need to read something else by Brian K Vaughan sometime soon. Y: The Last Man basically got me into comics but I haven't read anything by him since.

I'll probably grab that big Runaways TPB coming out in July. People really like BKV's Runaways, right?

Also, what's the general consensus on Ex Machina? The premise interests me, but I haven't seen it get much praise.

And then of course I'll almost definitely get that deluxe hardcover of Saga later this year.

Boogiepop

I need to read something else by Brian K Vaughan sometime soon. Y: The Last Man basically got me into comics but I haven't read anything by him since.

I'll probably grab that big Runaways TPB coming out in July. People really like BKV's Runaways, right?

Also, what's the general consensus on Ex Machina? The premise interests me, but I haven't seen it get much praise.

And then of course I'll almost definitely get that deluxe hardcover of Saga later this year.

I can definitely see people liking it, and there were definitely some parts I could enjoy, but the politics stuff (especially when it went full on straw man) really killed it for me. Of course I've only read the first few volumes before I stopped, so I can't offer a fair opinion on the complete run.

Edit: Also people can feel free to disagree since it's been a while, but I distinctly remember large chunks of art for the book being kind of crap. At the very least I remember some very poor scenes with the people in the office.

BKV's Runaways and Ex Machina? Both earn my seal of approval.

Dave_6

My shitty attempts to take pictures of my Annihilation Omnibus.

IMG_0931.jpg

IMG_0932.jpg

IMG_0934.jpg

IMG_0933.jpg

Sorry about the quality.

Edit: Okay, I have no idea what I did wrong here.

Edit 2: Got it.

I took some comparison pictures.

Thanks to you both!

Mr.Towel

Runaways is really good. He also has an ongoing online comic right now at http://panelsyndicate.com with Marcos Martin. Every issue is pay-what-you-want.

He also did a graphic novel from Vertigo called Pride of Baghdad that I really enjoyed

Well GAF, here are my pickups for today. I bought a membership at the local shop so I get 20% off all new and recent releases. It paid for itself and some already!

Hdf39Y9.jpg

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I can definitely see people liking it, and there were definitely some parts I could enjoy, but the politics stuff (especially when it went full on straw man) really killed it for me. Of course I've only read the first few volumes before I stopped, so I can't offer a fair opinion on the complete run.

Edit: Also people can feel free to disagree since it's been a while, but I distinctly remember large chunks of art for the book being kind of crap. At the very least I remember some very poor scenes with the people in the office.

I'm actually most interested in it because of the political aspect of it. Do you think I'd like it then? Or was it that the political stuff was done poorly?

BKV's Runaways and Ex Machina? Both earn my seal of approval.

Cool cool!

Runaways is really good. He also has an ongoing online comic right now at http://panelsyndicate.com with Marcos Martin. Every issue is pay-what-you-want.

He also did a graphic novel from Vertigo called Pride of Baghdad that I really enjoyed

Oh! I totally forgot about Private Eye! I ought to get around to reading that soon.
And thanks for the recommendation. I always forget about that one, too. I think I usually get it mixed up with We3 in my head or something.

Messi

Harley wasn't the best this month. Glad this section of the arc is over with to be honest. Don't like Cyborg all that much. Last page or so was kind of cute and nice of Harley and the tease at the end leaves me excited.

Harley wasn't the best this month. Glad this section of the arc is over with to be honest. Don't like Cyborg all that much. Last page or so was kind of cute and nice of Harley and the tease at the end leaves me excited.

Yeah, I wasn't a fan either. The earlier issues were good, though. Hopefully the next arc will be better.

tm24

can i just say that Jason Aaron's use of the guy in Original Sin #2 is my favorite thing in comics in a while. It's just so random and hilarious and makes some sort of twisted comic logic sense

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
can i just say that Jason Aaron's use of the guy in Original Sin #2 is my favorite thing in comics in a while. It's just so random and hilarious and makes some sort of twisted comic logic sense

I loved the caption on the last page.

ElNarez

Banned

It's his thing, much in the same way anecdotes from dads are Snyder's thing, dismemberment is Johns' thing or rape is Alan Moore's thing.

Batman Eternal was pretty cool this week. Building up that Selina and Bruce chemistry only to tear it down later. The impending doom continues.

I feel like I missed a lot of the story of Forever Evil just reading the main series.
Cyborg out of nowhere and Superwoman playing everybody.
Was JL and JLA pretty essential kind of like how Avengers and NA were needed for Infinity?

I feel like I missed a lot of the story of Forever Evil just reading the main series.
Cyborg out of nowhere and Superwoman playing everybody.
Was JL and JLA pretty essential kind of like how Avengers and NA were needed for Infinity?

Only
Cyborg really. He was in Justice League. Fought and defeated Grid. Superwoman really wasn't in much besides FE.

JLA is more fluff on the Firestorm Matrix Prison.

Vyer

I can't really tell if Invincible is actually good or not, even 100+ issues in. all the over the top crazy shit and explosive nature of the book kinda makes you forget about anything else. It's like watching Bay's Transformers if you just edited all the action set pieces together with some John Turturro scenes sprinkled in.

Lol@the opening of Saga.

Man I love the art of East of West.

Only
Cyborg really. He was in Justice League. Fought and defeated Grid. Superwoman really wasn't in much besides FE.

JLA is more fluff on the Firestorm Matrix Prison.

I read it again
and they do explain Cyborg showing up briefly in one panel.

Was Owlman wanting to be a team again with Dick explained in another issue or was he spouting some nonsense? Could Dick be from the Syndicate's Earth?

I'm continuously surprised that a comic such as Zero exists and delivers each and every issue.

Velvet was one of the best issues yet. It's such a gorgeous book.

Doomed continues to be a fun crossover.

Boogiepop

I'm actually most interested in it because of the political aspect of it. Do you think I'd like it then? Or was it that the political stuff was done poorly?

At the very least it just didn't come across well to me, personally. It felt very much like the main character was always "right" and it felt like he was kind of an author's mouthpiece to me. And there were definitely some strawman characters popping up that rubbed me the wrong way. Like, even when I agreed with the sentiments I didn't like the way things were playing out. But again, only read the first few volumes so any number of these things could've gotten better/been addressed. And of course politics are very much a ymmv sort of thing, so it may well just be me. At the very least I'm not trying to say it's on the level of Fox News or something, it just didn't feel right for me.

If you're interested maybe give the first volume a try and see how you like it? At the very least I can say that'd probably be a good sampling of the series and how it feels/works (again haven't read the whole run though).

oh man, Lady Bullseye isn't having a good month.
First Coulson hits her with a car in Secret Avengers, then she gets stabbed by Elektra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom