• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2015. Those things your favorite movie/show/game/etc. was based on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zombine

Banned
image.php

I don't own that

Joker did something to her suit which made her hallucinate and see weird visions or somethin I think. I don't remember.

This is correct. Also her death of the family issues were OK. Probably the best she wrote the entire run. But they are only OK. The rest is awful. John Layman wrote a great issue in the middle though.
I see.
It's a trick. Forever Evil isn't terrible and i don't think i regret buying it, but it only delivers as a transition to Johns' next chapter of Justice League, as a story in itself it's a disappointment. A couple cool moments wrapped up in a dud of a story.
"Geoff Johns Justice League" is not a thing I want, though. I read it. It was bad.

I still don't understand to this day how it was decided that Black Canary's outfit should be burlesque meets biker.

Never.

Literally-anything-but-comics-OT:

I'm rewatching Farscape now, and it's soooooo good. On the Looney Toons episode and by god that's the stuff.

I abandoned Farscape on Netflix after two episodes, always meant to go back to it but it's impossible with all the movies i go to instead. How does one pass up Zombeaver?

Also, Warriors got this, sorry Team Messi :/

Go back and watch Farscape. It is one of those shows where the sum is greater than the parts.

And remember, crackers don't matter.
Crackers1.jpg

Dalek

This is going to be a complex answer but I need help with DC books. I've been reading Multiversity along with this in depth guide that breaks down each issue and explains everything ( pretty genius). That being said there's obviously a lot of connection to PAST DC universe stuff like the Monitors, etc and a lot of references to Final Crisis.

I've read Morrisons Batman run, most of the big Batman stories, Geoff Johns Green Lantern run, Final Crisis and basically everything from Flashpoint to now. Also All Star Superman, Kingdom Come, Red Son.

The multiverse stuff and Morrison stories are what I want to crack but it's so dense. I tried reading the original Crisis but either its dated or its impenetrable but I couldn't make too much sense of it as an isolated work from the first few issues.
It seems I need to read that, countdown, Infinite Crisis, 52 and then finally Final Crisis to make sense of everything?

Vibranium

Banned
mid way through the avengers run they put a #1 one the cover and I picked it up as the start of a new arc and I was like.

58112031.jpg

Bii also gave me infinity codes and I had no idea what the hell was happening.

Yeah, it's confusing as hell. The next Avengers runs will hopefully be easier to pick up after Hickman's done.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Got back from seeing Tomorrowland a little bit ago. I rather liked it. Sure, it might be a little naive, but I think
having hope and trying to make a difference
is a good message to give to people, especially kids, who the movie is aimed at.

But I will never look for conversations about it on the internet because I'm sure the majority of it will be more Anti-Damon Lindelof circle jerkery. Even when they have a point, it's just exhausting.

Tizoc

This is going to be a complex answer but I need help with DC books. I've been reading Multiversity along with this in depth guide that breaks down each issue and explains everything ( pretty genius). That being said there's obviously a lot of connection to PAST DC universe stuff like the Monitors, etc and a lot of references to Final Crisis.

I've read Morrisons Batman run, most of the big Batman stories, Geoff Johns Green Lantern run, Final Crisis and basically everything from Flashpoint to now. Also All Star Superman, Kingdom Come, Red Son.

The multiverse stuff and Morrison stories are what I want to crack but it's so dense. I tried reading the original Crisis but either its dated or its impenetrable but I couldn't make too much sense of it as an isolated work from the first few issues.
It seems I need to read that, countdown, Infinite Crisis, 52 and then finally Final Crisis to make sense of everything?

IMHO, just Morrison's Batman and Final Crisis would be enough.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
"If you wanted me to leave, you shouldn't a' slit my damn tires. Fuckin' dumbshits"

Yeah, think I love Southern Bastards. Vol. 2 coming in, I need more of this

What are the Monitors exactly? Are these DCs Watchers? And what is the Anti-Monitor then?

They are similar but not exactly the same. There have also been a few incarnations but more or less they are supposed to be the Guardians of their universe and supposed to keep the various universes from intermingling in such a way as to cause multiversal problems. They are capable of more direct interaction than the Watchers typically are. The original Monitor, for example, worked to recruit people to fight off the Anti-Monitor.

The Anti-Monitor is the Monitor from the Anti-Matter Universe. He is the opposite of the Monitor, thus evil.

What are the Monitors exactly? Are these DCs Watchers? And what is the Anti-Monitor then?

The Monitors are an analogue of sorts. IIrc, originally there was just one Monitor who recruited heroes and villains to help fight the Anti Monitor, his counterpart from the anti-matter universe.

Then, I think post Infinite Crisis, the Monitor concept was brought back but the Monitors became a race that occupied the Orrery of Worlds, from which they observed the 52 universes of the DC multiverse with a single monitor assigned to each world. Let's ignore Countdown to Final Crisis. Sort of. Nix Utoan was the monitor of Earth-51 but was expelled from the Orrerry of Worlds at the start of Final Crisis because he'd been snoozing on the job. Essentially.

Dax Novu was the first monitor, although it's unclear as to whether he's a reincarnation of the original Monitor or just the first created after that point. After venturing across the Bleed (the space between universes in the DCU) he became corrupted and terrified of the Monitor's ultimate foe and built a robot in the shape of Superman, the greatest hero, that operated on pure thought to help combat the foe. Dax Novu sealed himself inside the tomb that the foe would emerge from with a doomsday clock counting down to when the foe would rise and the Thought Robot would become active. TLDR: Dax Novu was part of a self fulfilling prophecy as his corruption and insanity due to the Bleed led him to become Mandrakk, a multiversal vampire.

At the end of Final Crisis Nix Utoan, having proven himself to be pretty good and of more use than the rest of the Monitors, assembled an army of Supermen from across the Multiverse and used their solar-based powers to vaporize Mandrakk. The Monitors then cut themselves off from the Multiverse, realizing their very interference with matter was getting in the way of stories being told and Nix Utoan was left as the Super Judge, the Last Monitor.

At this point Anti Monitor was sort of still alive but had been used in Sinestro Corps War and as the BLack Lantern Battery in Blackest Night so...yeah.

In DCYou (yeah....) Nix Utoan seems to be the only Monitor and Anti Monitor is still his analogue, somewhat, in that the Anti Monitor still consumes universes and moves on to the next one...but much like how the Monitors have a name it seems the Anti Monitor's name was Mobius, owned of the Mobius Chair occupied by Metron, and he may well be an Old God.

Woo

tim1138

For Multiversity all you really need are Seven Soldiers of Victory (in particular the Mr Miracle story), and Final Crisis. Starting on post 241 or so of this month's thread ElNarez and I broke down Multiversity and it's themes, give those posts a glance, they may help out as well.

Zombine

Banned
For Multiversity all you really need are Seven Soldiers of Victory (in particular the Mr Miracle story), and Final Crisis. Starting on post 241 or so of this month's thread ElNarez and I broke down Multiversity and it's themes, give those posts a glance, they may help out as well.

I have been so tempted to read the two Seven Soldiers trades. I'm sure I know the answer already, but how good are they?

tim1138

I have been so tempted to read the two Seven Soldiers trades. I'm sure I know the answer already, but how good are they?

So very good. Structurally it's a proto Multiversity, it has the bookend issues and then seven smaller stories that stand alone but end up all interconnected. It's probably his most underrated DC work, it feels like nobody has read it.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So do people really not like Cullen Bunn's Moon Knight? 'Cause I've been enjoying it and think it's pretty fantastic. I love seeing Moon Knight getting involved with supernatural stuff again.

Zombine

Banned
I mean I understand it's Japan and Comics, but, lol... That's not how the human body works. She's like 70% leg.

She is definitely "all leg" but at the very least her waist is admirably achievable by a human being. So good on them for that at least.

So do people really not like Cullen Bunn's Moon Knight? 'Cause I've been enjoying it and think it's pretty fantastic. I love seeing Moon Knight getting involved with supernatural stuff again.

No, it's not that. It's the fact that we went from Ellis to Brian "Boring as Shit" Wood. Any momentum that was building with Ellis screeched to a stop with Wood's take on Ellis, and now Bunn is picking up the pieces.

tim1138

Isn't Witch a gendered term. Shouldn't it be Klarion the Warlock Boy.

Let's refer to his first appearance! (Please excuse the crappy image, I'm too lazy to take a picture of my copy)

Demon_Vol_1_7.jpg

Clear as day on the cover, Witchboy.

Lord knows I'm not going to question the King, so why are you?

Look I'm not doubting that is his name. I get that. I'm just saying it's unusual. Looks like Klarion was breaking down gender barriers decades ago.

I hope the next page was Etrigan laughing at him cuz no one does that to my homeboy.

Ask specific questions about the multiverse though and I'll try to answer though darkseid did a nice write up.

Also don't read countdown.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
The Monitors are an analogue of sorts. IIrc, originally there was just one Monitor who recruited heroes and villains to help fight the Anti Monitor, his counterpart from the anti-matter universe.

Then, I think post Infinite Crisis, the Monitor concept was brought back but the Monitors became a race that occupied the Orrery of Worlds, from which they observed the 52 universes of the DC multiverse with a single monitor assigned to each world. Let's ignore Countdown to Final Crisis. Sort of. Nix Utoan was the monitor of Earth-51 but was expelled from the Orrerry of Worlds at the start of Final Crisis because he'd been snoozing on the job. Essentially.

Dax Novu was the first monitor, although it's unclear as to whether he's a reincarnation of the original Monitor or just the first created after that point. After venturing across the Bleed (the space between universes in the DCU) he became corrupted and terrified of the Monitor's ultimate foe and built a robot in the shape of Superman, the greatest hero, that operated on pure thought to help combat the foe. Dax Novu sealed himself inside the tomb that the foe would emerge from with a doomsday clock counting down to when the foe would rise and the Thought Robot would become active. TLDR: Dax Novu was part of a self fulfilling prophecy as his corruption and insanity due to the Bleed led him to become Mandrakk, a multiversal vampire.

At the end of Final Crisis Nix Utoan, having proven himself to be pretty good and of more use than the rest of the Monitors, assembled an army of Supermen from across the Multiverse and used their solar-based powers to vaporize Mandrakk. The Monitors then cut themselves off from the Multiverse, realizing their very interference with matter was getting in the way of stories being told and Nix Utoan was left as the Super Judge, the Last Monitor.

At this point Anti Monitor was sort of still alive but had been used in Sinestro Corps War and as the BLack Lantern Battery in Blackest Night so...yeah.

In DCYou (yeah....) Nix Utoan seems to be the only Monitor and Anti Monitor is still his analogue, somewhat, in that the Anti Monitor still consumes universes and moves on to the next one...but much like how the Monitors have a name it seems the Anti Monitor's name was Mobius, owned of the Mobius Chair occupied by Metron, and he may well be an Old God.

Woo

They are similar but not exactly the same. There have also been a few incarnations but more or less they are supposed to be the Guardians of their universe and supposed to keep the various universes from intermingling in such a way as to cause multiversal problems. They are capable of more direct interaction than the Watchers typically are. The original Monitor, for example, worked to recruit people to fight off the Anti-Monitor.

The Anti-Monitor is the Monitor from the Anti-Matter Universe. He is the opposite of the Monitor, thus evil.

I really need to get more into DC :D thanks for the answers.

Just for m curiosity - Is there a beeing similar to Galactus?

tim1138

I hope the next page was Etrigan laughing at him cuz no one does that to my homeboy.

Ask specific questions about the multiverse though and I'll try to answer though darkseid did a nice write up.

Also don't read countdown.

The cover is misleading, in Klarion's first appearance he and Etrigan don't fight at all, they team up to fight the Elders from Klarion's village. Later appearances are a bit more antagonistic.

First two volumes of Avengers and volume one of New Avengers down.

Yeah, reading this in trade is far, far easier. I tried to follow along when it started and the gap between issues was TOO LONG dammit. It's much better this way. I haven't really been following the reading order too closely but I can follow along fine.

Epting's work on New Avengers is just beautiful. Ditto Opena's opening arc on Avengers. Those issues of building Hickman's ORIGINAL CHARACTERS DO NOT TOUCH were extremely rough but otherwise, really good so far.

First two volumes of Avengers and volume one of New Avengers down.

Yeah, reading this in trade is far, far easier. I tried to follow along when it started and the gap between issues was TOO LONG dammit. It's much better this way. I haven't really been following the reading order too closely but I can follow along fine.

Epting's work on New Avengers is just beautiful. Ditto Opena's opening arc on Avengers. Those issues of building Hickman's ORIGINAL CHARACTERS DO NOT TOUCH were extremely rough but otherwise, really good so far.

I don't know man if you ain't got space in your heart for a charac whose origin story is the "moo" page from New X-Men I mean

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Yo, are we talking about Seven Soliders? 'Cause it's fucking excellent.

Also, the Klarion issues were my favorite as well, but I also liked the Manhattan Guardian stuff a whole lot.

Seven Soldiers seems like one of those things I need to read but I just haven't yet. I'm sure I'd love it.

Gonna try to read at least an issue of something every day so I can start clearing out my backlog for realsies. Animal Man has been waiting for too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom