• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2015. Those things your favorite movie/show/game/etc. was based on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zennyzz

tumblr_nnvmsaAOO31qetjcco1_540.jpg

punching yo buns

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
There is no mention of Axis in these Avengers/New Avengers issues post 8 month time skip, but according to MU they came out during Axis. Also Tony is missing but seems to have the Superior armor (indicating this would be after axis), Thor has the metal arm and axe now and several other changes.

Did these issues come out after Axis and MU just has them with the wrong dates or what's going on?

Fintan

There is no mention of Axis in these Avengers/New Avengers issues post 8 month time skip, but according to MU they came out during Axis. Also Tony is missing but seems to have the Superior armor (indicating this would be after axis), Thor has the metal arm and axe now and several other changes.

Did these issues come out after Axis and MU just has them with the wrong dates or what's going on?
The 8 month skip is after AXIS, they just don't talk about it much. As you say though, they do acknowledge it with unworthy Thor and Superior Iron Man.

Mudcrab

They came out around the same time. The 8 month time jump conveniently includes Axis.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
That must have been super confusing when it was coming out then

Rhaknar

And done with Mighty Avengers. Weird book, doesn't feel like a Avengers title at all, not only is it much more street level, but more mystical also. Should have been called Defenders or something. Anyway it was ok, nothing special but not awful or anything, just...bland. Not something I would have bought but that's the magic of MU I guess.

Aparently it continues in Captain America & the Mighty Avengers which #1 just came out this week, maybe the Falcon Cap version is better

keiichi

How's this initial IST shopping list look:

IMMORTAL IRON FIST COMPLETE COLLECTION TP VOL 01
FADE OUT TP VOL 01 (MR)
SAGA TP VOL 01
DEADLY CLASS TP VOL 02 KIDS OF THE BLACK HOLE (MR)
DEADLY CLASS TP VOL 01 REAGAN YOUTH (MR)
SOUTHERN BASTARDS TP VOL 02 GRIDIRON (MR)
SOUTHERN BASTARDS TP VOL 01 HERE WAS A MAN (MR)

Thinking I need some Hickman.

Messi

How's this initial IST shopping list look:

IMMORTAL IRON FIST COMPLETE COLLECTION TP VOL 01
FADE OUT TP VOL 01 (MR)
SAGA TP VOL 01
DEADLY CLASS TP VOL 02 KIDS OF THE BLACK HOLE (MR)
DEADLY CLASS TP VOL 01 REAGAN YOUTH (MR)
SOUTHERN BASTARDS TP VOL 02 GRIDIRON (MR)
SOUTHERN BASTARDS TP VOL 01 HERE WAS A MAN (MR)

Thinking I need some Hickman.

Great order that needs some Sunstone.

spiderman and the x-men is really too fun for its own good.

It really is. Sad to see it go.

Rhaknar

I remember all of you shitting on spiderman and the xmen #1 months ago, glad it got better.

It's especially weird for me now because the Wolverine and the xmen volumes that preceded it were awful.

That first 40 odd issue long WATXM volume 1 tho, my god it's good

Sandfox

I remember all of you shitting on spiderman and the xmen #1 months ago, glad it got better.

It's especially weird for me now because the Wolverine and the xmen volumes that preceded it were awful.

The things that people didn't like about the book had only really disappeared in the last issue.

Messi

I really should buy that omnibus. I think I would really love the series. Is Kitty in much of it?

#1 did give us Spidey in this sweet blazer.

Also. Mr Spider-Man. Lol.

styl3s

So do you guys buy a lot from your LCS or do you do a lot of online shopping?
I mostly buy hardcover trades and omnibus type stuff and since my LCS charges cover price on most of those things and i don't have a money tree in my back yard about 95% of my non single issues are bought online.

Rhaknar

I really should buy that omnibus. I think I would really love the series. Is Kitty in much of it?

WATXM Volume 1? Yes she's a huge part. Last time I checked I had read around 600 issues or whatever it was since subbing to MU back in December. I'm probably at around... let's say 700-800 now, and that run is still easily one of the beat things I read

The only thing, ONLY thing, that bothered me about Spider-Man and the X-Men was how the school faculty (Storm, Beast, Madeline) treat Spidey like absolute garbage. Despite the fact that they've fought together in the past, and I'm pretty sure Spidey has helped the X-Men out on numerous occasions. They really have no reason to do it. Although, there has been a giant period of time in which I didn't read comics, so unless something happened...

Owzers

no lcs for me, a combo of digital sales, MU subscriptions sometimes, DCBS pre-ordering for about 2 trades and 15 flops a month, and then the occasional IST order to clean-up.

Bii

50/50.

For floppies that I don't have on my pull list, if my LCS does not have it, I make an order through Midtown Comics. This is almost always the case for variant covers. For trades, it's always online (IST, Amazon, B&N).

Rhaknar

So... do the symbiotes just kinda crawl on the floor and walls back from wherever they come from? They are just goop really

Yes that's the kind of shit I think about randomly. Well that and is The Thing's "thing" also made of rock but we all thought about that one time or another

Messi

So... do the symbiotes just kinda crawl on the floor and walls back from wherever they come from? They are just goop really

Yes that's the kind of shit I think about randomly. Well that and is The Thing's "thing" also made of rock but we all thought about that one time or another

Do we though?

Zombine

Banned
50/50.

For floppies that I don't have on my pull list, if my LCS does not have it, I make an order through Midtown Comics. This is almost always the case for variant covers. For trades, it's always online (IST, Amazon, B&N).

I love Midtown, but their pricing on variants is Lulworthy. Our rent is already inflated, why the fuck you gotta inflate the cost of some variants just because?

Rhaknar

And it's the nightly MU brain fart, right on schedule. Damn it, get better hamsters for the server wheels Marvel

Bii

I love Midtown, but their pricing on variants is Lulworthy. Our rent is already inflated, why the fuck you gotta inflate the cost of some variants just because?

"Retailer incentive".

My LCS price their variants at or close to cover costs. Only problem I run into is they never have what I want. I've been lucky to grab a few but I've resorted to Midtown (and to a lesser extent, eBay) on variants.

Owzers

judging by my dcbs order for July i'm not sure if i read comics anymore.

Bitch Planet vol 1
They're Not Like Us vol 1

black science - might drop and hope for OHCs to kill the industry
east of west - might drop and buy the OHCs to further kill the industry
Invincible, Walking Dead, Saga

Bucky - might drop, or buy issue 10 and then stop if it keeps going
Daredevil
Howard the Duck
Secret Wars
Siege #1 and 2 - might wait for MU, i dislike new books coming out twice in the first month, makes me feel like they are trying to get me to load up on a series before i find out it's mediocre.

maybes that didn't make it yet: Annihlators hc, east of west ohc if i switch, Ant-Man Annual ( i don't like annuals, always seem iffy and pricey), Wolf #1 probably trade waiting, We Stand on Guard bkv mini probably trade waiting.

Weird month.

Zombine

Banned
"Retailer incentive".

My LCS price their variants at or close to cover costs. Only problem I run into is they never have what I want. I've been lucky to grab a few but I've resorted to Midtown (and to a lesser extent, eBay) on variants.

The best was that one Harley/Power Girl variant that I have. My shop charged $9, I think Midtown was selling that shit for $30. When I call them the GameStop of Comics it's not a term of endearment.

do you guys think American comics are too focused on superheroes

i heard this argument once...

European comics and Manga seem to be much more diverse in genres..while American comics seem to focus on superheroes

is this a good thing or bad thing? is this much of a problem?

Hey guys,

I'm trying to get back into reading Marvel/DC comics. I think the last thing I read for Marvel was Siege, and for DC, it was a bit after Final Crisis.

I kind of want to catch up reading the good stuff. I don't mind reading a lot if the stories are good and I was going to try and catch-up on the bigger stuff. Are there any must-reads or recommendations that I should definitely go for? Or maybe things I should skip?

Thanks for any advice in advance!

Rhaknar

We were discussing Valeria's age yesterday and whoever said she was 4 was quite closer than me saying she was 8. I'm reading the F4 annual for the current volume (from october) and Sue says she's 3 so there you go.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I feel bad buying stuff online, but it's SO easy to get what I need, plus I save money. Its...A weird issue. I want to support the LCS and the "hobby", but money and things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom