• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2015. Those things your favorite movie/show/game/etc. was based on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't wait for spoilers tonight then

Its just Secret Wars #1 or some of the other crazy books are out too?

I'd say I could tag or pm spoilers if people wanted but tbh I'm wayyy less familiar with Marvel than I am DC so I suppose I'd miss a lot of background details and characters.

PsychBat!

Banned
tapping the phones like yeah
shredding the files like yeah
I memorized all the enemy spies I gotta neutralize today
yeeeeeeaaaaaaaah it's a party in the CIA
yeeeeeeaaaaaaaah it's a party in the CIA

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Messi :D

1430851156-announce-tron.png

Just read ANAD Avengers book. Loved both the stories there. New Avengers team seems like it'll be a lot of fun. Haven't kept up with the Inhumans, but I liked what was there. Might have to check it out.

Also Spider-Gwen #4 later. Good day.

If anybody is interested, Divergence #1 is now available digitally.
I hope Marvel does the same and their FCBD books get up on comixology today. Particularly if SW #0 is a primer for people who didn't follow Hickman's Avengers.

zennyzz

Just read ANAD Avengers book. Loved both the stories there. New Avengers team seems like it'll be a lot of fun. Haven't kept up with the Inhumans, but I liked what was there. Might have to check it out.

Also Spider-Gwen #4 later. Good day.

All you really need is medusa doing things and you got yourself a good book.

Anybody read dan slott's silver surfer? Is it good?

ElNarez

Banned
THREE PANELS INTO THE PREVIEW and Midnighter has a reference to gay sex. I love it. I love how into the whole idea of making a comic about a gay superhero that team seems to be. I'm dead serious.

ElNarez

Banned
OKAY HERE'S A PSA

DC has put their FCBD book and ALL PREVIEWS OF THE JUNE TITLES THAT ARE IN CONVERGENCE TIE-INS FOR FREE on Comixology.

GET IN ON THAT.

So I hear that AoA Kitty is being paired off with Star Lord during Secret Wars does anyone know what is happening with 616 Kitty during the time?

any convergence side series worth picking? so far i've seen nothing that interest me, only Convergence: The Question looks like something I might pick up (Renee Montoya!).

They vary a lot in quality IMHO. Booster Gold was fantastic and definitely worth checking out. Other wise I'd say look at the ones for time periods you liked. Did you love Pre-Crisis Supergirl, give that issue a read, did you love the guys like Question, Captain Atom, and Blue Beetle before they became DC properties, read that issue.

Its hard to suggestion one of the convergence tie ins with out knowing what past time periods or comics people liked.

ElNarez

Banned
I'll say this about the Prez preview: it's WAY MORE 2000 A.D. than I was expecting. I think I dig it, but it's a way stranger thing than I expected.

Zombine

Banned
It's time to bring Kitty Pryde back to basics after Secret Wars. We know what motivates her, but she's had a few too many character assassinations over the past 30 years. I just want her to be a strong leader motivated to protect her students.

It's time to bring Kitty Pryde back to basics after Secret Wars. We know what motivates her, but she's had a few too many character assassinations over the past 30 years. I just want her to be a strong leader motivated to protect her students.

What, what was wrong with her joining Cyclops, the guy who murdered Professor X because of out of left field reasons?

They vary a lot in quality IMHO. Booster Gold was fantastic and definitely worth checking out. Other wise I'd say look at the ones for time periods you liked. Did you love Pre-Crisis Supergirl, give that issue a read, did you love the guys like Question, Captain Atom, and Blue Beetle before they became DC properties, read that issue.

The Question issues are Renee Montoya, though. They're very post-DC buyout.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
All you really need is medusa doing things and you got yourself a good book.

Anybody read dan slott's silver surfer? Is it good?

It's not good.

It's fucking great! Seriously, the most charming and adventure-y comic I've read in a while. Allred's art is perfectly rad, and Slott is consistently putting out awesome monthly stories where Dawn feels more and more like one of the most genuinely well-crafted characters in big-two comics.

I'm wondering if they aren't gonna replace her with AoA Kitty after it's all over. Hence paring that Kitty with Star Lord instead of the 616 one he just proposed to, that's why I was curious if anyone had heard anything about 616 Kitty. She seems completely unaccounted for in any of the announced books.

The Question issues are Renee Montoya, though. They're very post-DC buyout.

There's also an issue with the pre-DC Buyout version of The Question and his world characters. CONVERGENCE: BLUE BEETLE #1 is the one I'm talking about. Blue Beetle might be his pre-crisis on infinite earth's DC version and maybe not pre-buyout one, but to me it felt closer to the pre-DC Buyout of the other characters.

I have to say based on what I'm reading about Secret Wars I have to give Marvel credit for basically doing a universe re-tooling similar to the DC Crisis or Flashpoint/New 52 stuff but without actually rebooting anything. It seems to me that everything that has happened will have happened up to and and including destruction. I mean they are killing off the mutliverse as we know it (which I wish they weren't but such is life), but they aren't rebooting anything, it stays all in one continuity.

At least that's how I see it.

Messi

Oh wow this is pretty amazing. Is there a particular place where artists put up pages? I can think of a few books that I'd love to have specific pages from.

They are all repped by different companies and some sell through their own websites. I got this page from felixcomicart.com.

I have to say based on what I'm reading about Secret Wars I have to give Marvel credit for basically doing a universe re-tooling similar to the DC Crisis or Flashpoint/New 52 stuff but without actually rebooting anything. It seems to me that everything that has happened will have happened up to and and including destruction. I mean they are killing off the mutliverse as we know it (which I wish they weren't but such is life), but they aren't rebooting anything, it stays all in one continuity.

At least that's how I see it.

Not at all. By the logic of what you just said nothing DC has ever done is a reboot because everything that led up to the "Crisis" has to have happened to cause the Crisis that leads to the new universe. It's one long chain going back to the beginnings of the DCU.

Old Universe -> Crisis -> New Universe

Is no different than

Marvel Universe -> Secret Wars -> Post Secret Wars Marvel Universe.

Secret Wars is absolutely a reboot and I wont be surprised if certain characters don't remember what happened before. The new adventures of 616 Miles Morales won't include him being upset about the loss of his world. I'd put money on it.

Marvel is just doing what DC did around flashpoint. Reboot has such a stigma to it that you have to straight up lie and say it's not a reboot even when it clearly is.

So last night I was thinking about who was the last comic book main character from DC or Marvel that was a straight white male. In no way am I advocating for more, there's a ton already and I'm all for more diversity. This is more a pondering thing. So I thought maybe Coulson. But that doesn't seem to count since it's based on a movie person.

Is it Alpha?

Not at all. By the logic of what you just said nothing DC has ever done is a reboot because everything that led up to the "Crisis" has to have happened to cause the Crisis that leads to the new universe. It's one long chain going back to the beginnings of the DCU.

Old Universe -> Crisis -> New Universe

Is no different than

Marvel Universe -> Secret Wars -> Post Secret Wars Marvel Universe.

Secret Wars is absolutely a reboot and I wont be surprised if certain characters don't remember what happened before. The new adventures of 616 Miles Morales won't include him being upset about the loss of his world. I'd put money on it.

Marvel is just doing what DC did around flashpoint. Reboot has such a stigma to it that you have to straight up lie and say it's not a reboot even when it clearly is.

If everyone remembers everything not a reboot. If origins don't change en mass.

If they do what COIE and Flashpoint and retcon like everything did then yes reboot, though there is zero indication that that is the current plan.

Secret Wars #1 was the most jawdropping and perfectly constructed superhero comic I have ever read. Esad Ribic has completely reinvented the medium. I cannot even.

ElNarez

Banned
Secret Wars #1 was the most jawdropping and perfectly constructed superhero comic I have ever read. Esad Ribic has completely reinvented the medium. I cannot even.

It's quite literally The Biggest Story Ever. And then the final page hits you with the realization of how big it was.

It's quite something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom