• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2016. Let's Do It. Let's Fall in Love.

I'm wondering if it's worth getting some of my Image #1's CGC graded. I've got the first 30 issues of Saga, all first printings, and like, the first five issues of Peter Panzerfaust, also first printings.

Do you have TWD #1 first printing? I have that in a box somewhere (sleeved), I bet it's worth something these days

Do you have TWD #1 first printing? I have that in a box somewhere (sleeved), I bet it's worth something these days

Nah, I got into Walking Dead way late. I think they had seven or eight TPB volumes out when I started reading. That's still getting in pretty early compared to where they are now, though. Early issues of TWD are worth bank.

Zombine

Banned
Snot Girl is our book bros. You have to be insane if you don't buy it physically.

You missed the rush, Echo. A 9.0+ could have gotten you like $10k at the right time. I'd buy it from you for a grand or so.

Messi

Snot Girl is our book bros. You have to be insane if you don't buy it physically.

You missed the rush, Echo. A 9.0+ could have gotten you like $10k at the right time. I'd buy it from you for a grand or so.

Don't think I'm gonna pick it up

Zombine

Banned
And here I thought I finally had a plan to pay for my daughter's college education

I would get out while the getting is good. When the show blasted the fuck off out of nowhere it would sell at auction for 5-10k. Now it is just a constant state of being like Madden or Call of Duty. The fandom is there but the influx of hype is over. The only Walking Dead thing that is rising in price is the Michonne statue, because that actually was a limited run. Rick statue struggled a bit so it's going to stay pretty much at the $300 range (even though he is way cooler than the Negan one) and Negan had a slight burst of popularity because of the artificial cap, but scalpers bought damn near every one of them and they all threw their figures on eBay at the same time so the price is soaring right back down toward $300.

The next big comic price explosion is Saga. All it needs is a show or film and that #1 will easily hit that $5k+ mark for a moment.

Rainy

Banned
Hi everyone. I've been interested in manga for quite a long time but never got into western comics and I finally want to start.

Have to admit it's intimidating, there seems to be so much out there, but I suppose it always feels like that at the beginning.

So what's some good stuff that you guys have been reading? (Bonus question: what are some good comics with female leads/heroes?)

Thanks for the help in advance, hope you guys don't mind me asking a lot of questions!

Hi everyone. I've been interested in manga for quite a long time but never got into western comics and I finally want to start.

Have to admit it's intimidating, there seems to be so much out there, but I suppose it always feels like that at the beginning.

So what's some good stuff that you guys have been reading? (Bonus question: what are some good comics with female leads/heroes?)

Thanks for the help in advance, hope you guys don't mind me asking a lot of questions!

Welcome aboard the good ship comicgaf :D Never fear, we'll take good care of you and your money

Are you interested in cape comics or non-cape comics?

If capes, do you want to dig into Marvel characters, DC, both or neither?

Are you more interested in completed stories you can pick up and read from beginning to end or current stuff that you can get a monthly dose of?

For good female leads, Ms Marvel is the best ongoing I've read. Waid and Samnee's Black Widow is shaping up to be something special too. As for overall best books, Vision's my favourite of the books hitting the stands at the moment. I'd also recommend Darth Vader if you have any interest in Star Wars.

Zombine

Banned

Hey! Welcome to comics! It can look intimidating at first, but realize that everyone starts somewhere, and all it takes is one book. Luckily, you already have an idea of what you are interested in so you're already on the right track!

If you're looking for comics with female leads, and you already have a predisposition to manga, why not try Wayward:

wayward-1-brjpg-6e4d60_1280w.jpg

It's a book about a Half Japanese/Half Irish girl dealing with all sorts of shenanigans, and the art is glorious. You can check out book 1 right now which collects the first X amount of issues and is relatively cheap!

Wayward Deluxe Book 1 https://www.amazon.com/dp/1632154730/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Rainy

Banned
Welcome aboard the good ship comicgaf :D Never fear, we'll take good care of you and your money

Are you interested in cape comics or non-cape comics?

If capes, do you want to dig into Marvel characters, DC, both or neither?

Are you more interested in completed stories you can pick up and read from beginning to end or current stuff that you can get a monthly dose of?

I'd say cape, both Marvel and DC, and I'm honestly okay with either current stuff or completed.

Hey! Welcome to comics! It can look intimidating at first, but realize that everyone starts somewhere, and all it takes is one book. Luckily, you already have an idea of what you are interested in so you're already on the right track!

If you're looking for comics with female leads, and you already have a predisposition to manga, why not try Wayward:

wayward-1-brjpg-6e4d60_1280w.jpg

It's a book about a Half Japanese/Half Irish girl dealing with all sorts of shenanigans, and the art is glorious. You can check out book 1 right now which collects the first X amount of issues and is relatively cheap!

Wayward Deluxe Book 1 https://www.amazon.com/dp/1632154730/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Oh wow thanks, I'll definitely check this out.

For good female leads, Ms Marvel is the best ongoing I've read. Waid and Samnee's Black Widow is shaping up to be something special too. As for overall best books, Vision's my favourite of the books hitting the stands at the moment. I'd also recommend Darth Vader if you have any interest in Star Wars.

Thanks so much for the recs!

Zombine

Banned
I'd say cape, both Marvel and DC, and I'm honestly okay with either current stuff or completed.

If you're interested in Cape, Marvel has quite a few wonderful female-centric books on the market like Miss Marvel, A-Force (which is relatively overwhelming for a new reader), Moon Girl & Devil Dinosaur, Spider-Gwen, Gwenpool, And Squirrel Girl.

DC also released a cute book called Prez which I think you would really enjoy! It was pretty funny.

Got it! I will be more help with Marvel stuff but there are some DC peeps who should be along shortly to help you check out their books. I'll be along with a long post as soon as I can throw it all together...

TheFlow

Banned
Wow thanks everyone for the help, I feel very welcome. I'll be sure to delve into suggestions ASAP!
DC-wait for rebirth

Marvel- spend 10 dollars on marvel unlimited so you can try all the books for free then buy the ones you liked.

Image: pick anything and you will like it

check out Archie, saga, and sex criminals

Welcome! I can do some DC recs for you :D Gonna try and keep things more recent, let me know if you're willing to try their older stuff.

For female leads, I'd look at Starfire, Batgirl, and Black Canary. Black Canary and Starfire are both pretty short, so you can just start at #1 for those, but Batgirl changes pretty dramatically part way through. If you want the light, hipster-ish Batgirl, you'll want the Cam Stewart/Babs Tarr issues, and if you want something darker, the Simone era is for you.

Past that, into the more general subject of "crazy good books," Grayson, The Omega Men, Batman, Midnighter, and Martian Manhunter are all surpassingly excellent.

Top Bottom