• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2016. Let's Do It. Let's Fall in Love.

Hi everyone. I've been interested in manga for quite a long time but never got into western comics and I finally want to start.

Have to admit it's intimidating, there seems to be so much out there, but I suppose it always feels like that at the beginning.

So what's some good stuff that you guys have been reading? (Bonus question: what are some good comics with female leads/heroes?)

Thanks for the help in advance, hope you guys don't mind me asking a lot of questions!
Hey, welcome! I was kind of in your position last year, finally getting into comics. The folks here helped a lot.

As for good comics with heroines, some I'm enjoying right now are Lazarus, Rachel Rising, and We Can Never Go Home

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Hi everyone. I've been interested in manga for quite a long time but never got into western comics and I finally want to start.

Have to admit it's intimidating, there seems to be so much out there, but I suppose it always feels like that at the beginning.

So what's some good stuff that you guys have been reading? (Bonus question: what are some good comics with female leads/heroes?)

Thanks for the help in advance, hope you guys don't mind me asking a lot of questions!

Good books with female leads...

Lazarus
Shutter
Revival
Saga
Monstress
Wayward
Copperhead
Black Magick
Cry Havoc
Paper Girls
The Wicked + The Divine
I Hate Fairyland

All of these are non-super hero books from Image comics.

Also a good place to look up new titles suggested to you is comixology.com even if you aren't going to be buying digitally. They have an easy to use search feature to find what you are looking for. There you'll get synopsis and 3 page previews so you can see the art for yourself.

shingi70

Banned

Welcome friend.

The Faith mini series from Valaint just ended and there's an ongoing series starting this July.

ElNarez

Banned
I think because the DC movies suck people think the comics suck.

but also: they wicked don't

like, most of the stuff people say about MoS and BvS is kinda dumb nonsense bullshit that has nothing to do with what's actually in those movies? I've read a lot of people saying a whole bunch of stuff about Zack Snyder without paying attention to context.

I'm not saying they're making up all the bad parts in those movies, just, they're deliberately ignoring the good, and then twisting the bad parts so they look worse

TheFlow

Banned
but also: they wicked don't

like, most of the stuff people say about MoS and BvS is kinda dumb nonsense bullshit that has nothing to do with what's actually in those movies? I've read a lot of people saying a whole bunch of stuff about Zack Snyder without paying attention to context.

I'm not saying they're making up all the bad parts in those movies, just, they're deliberately ignoring the good, and then twisting the bad parts so they look worse
Nah BvsS was bad not from just a comic standpoint but as a movie too.

That is all I will say on that
Edit: I know some of you guys liked it. So don't flame me

shingi70

Banned
I think because the DC movies suck people think the comics suck.

Hey I like Man of Steel and Think BvS is just okay.

But yeah it seems that ever since the movies haven't been what people wanted that any thread with DC Comics in it just gets shit on.

Like the dude saying that there isn't anything interesting in rebirth outside of the trinity items.

ElNarez

Banned
Nah, it's console wars bullshit, it's tribalism applied to late-stage capitalism. It's Sega v. Nintendo, it's Coke v. Pepsi, it's Sony v. Microsoft. You like one, you swear the other is literal garbage from the pits of hell.

Even grown-ups can get it, hence, Devin Faraci's entire career.

I'm guessing it's due to said people having had an issue with DC at one point

This plus

Nah, it's console wars bullshit, it's tribalism applied to late-stage capitalism. It's Sega v. Nintendo, it's Coke v. Pepsi, it's Sony v. Microsoft. You like one, you swear the other is literal garbage from the pits of hell.

Even grown-ups can get it, hence, Devin Faraci's entire career.

This. There's a surprising number of people still salty AF over New 52, plus the traditional age-old rivalry battle to the death stupidity, leading to some impressive dumbness.

Oh yeah, when is Prez coming back? I need more.

Some time this fall, I think.

edit: October!

Messi

WAT? Since when do you not like Ms. Marvel? Who are you?

Oh yeah, when is Prez coming back? I need more.

Its coming back in the winter

I have always been iffy on Ms Marvel. Sometimes its good sometimes I really don't like it. It is wildly inconsistent for me.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Still going through Valiant on Scribd, and, yep, Archer and Armstrong is my favorite.

PUe6c2K.jpg

Ctn6g1o.jpg

It's like Hercules and Amadeus Cho all over again.

ElNarez

Banned
Oh brother, it's only a matter of time before I see a "disney bought critics" post in here.

Nah, they didn't have to. They just made movies good enough to have a dedicated audience, and said dedicated audience includes the people who are paid to watch all these movies and write about them in the press. That, along with the rise of the "fan-turned-movie-critic" phenomenon (think Ain't It Cool News and all its derivatives), means there is at least some unconscious bias. The question is just how honest a given reviewer is with that bias.

Welcome!

For new readers, I always suggest Marvel Unlimited. Get a month's subscription and try the first few issues of as many books as you can. It'l' give you an idea of what kind of superhero comics you might enjoy.

My starting recommendations would be the links I've put below. Fairly self-contained and you won't need too much knowledge of the rest of the Marvel comics.

http://marvel.com/comics/series/18468/ms_marvel_2014_-_2015

http://marvel.com/comics/series/18472/she-hulk_2014_-_present

http://marvel.com/comics/series/16309/hawkeye_2012_-_present

http://marvel.com/comics/series/12916/daredevil_2011_-_2014

Still going through Valiant on Scribd, and, yep, Archer and Armstrong is my favorite.

It's like Hercules and Amadeus Cho all over again.

Yeah, that global warming panel might be my favourite from that run.

Top Bottom