• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2016. Let's Do It. Let's Fall in Love.

shingi70

Banned
It's probably a side effect of going digital. I see no point in collecting as some do but the ones that catch my fancy would be framed and walled up.

I have the Harley Quinn Adam Hughes variant that is worth $$$

I love it.

Pretty cover. The issue with a lot of variants is that they're retailer incentive covers and comic shops get them just to jack up the price. It's not often cost-effective to the customer to buy them.

Messi

Pretty cover. The issue with a lot of variants is that they're retailer incentive covers and comic shops get them just to jack up the price. It's not often cost-effective to the customer to buy them.

I paid cover for that BTW :p it was 1:25 and has seriously shot up in price

Velvet
Ed Brubaker has written a lot of great books about criminals, spies, espionage, etc. and they are pretty much all fantastic. I consider Criminal to be one of the greatest comics ever made. That said, Velvet could end up topping it. It's about an ex-spy who gets exposed and has to go on the run while trying to pin down who set her up, and that's all I'm gonna tell you about it.
I'm not gonna post a page for this one, nope. CLASSIFIED.

Also I'm sure everyone is going to sell you on Saga so I'm not going to bother. It's more of an ensemble book than a female-lead book but there are some terrific female characters there.
Good sir, you convinced me to pick up Velvet. Excited to check it out

Owzers

Sometimes I get Sillymonkey and Psychbat confused and I think Psychbats posts are Sillymonkeys.

What if there's only one member of comics-gaf and they just imagine talking to other people.

Identity-1.jpg

Zombine

Banned
New favorite book. Sorry The Fix.

I am seriously freaking out. Tomorrow is Future Quest #1. God damn what a time to be alive.

marvel vs. dc discussions always operate under Worthington's Law

can't fight it, can't use facts to dispute it, more money = better than, that's it, end of discussion
That's just because no one wants to admit that Valiant best pub

Yea. Shit is about to get real. I love the Panther but he is surrounded by omega level heroes. He best cool it

Any other writer, i'd say he has no reason to worry. Ewing, tho, yeah, dude gon get a reality check.

It really is the best, love Armstrong perpectual fuck ups while Gilad is trying to keep the Geomancer's alive.

Really intrestsed in the new stuff they announced today.

More like "love armstrongs perpetual fuckups while gilad's perpetually fucking up"
seriously, those two. gods.
Inhumans 1998 #1 question:

If I understand correctly it says that Attilan was moved to Atlantis, which in turn had risen from the sea. Is Namor and co (never anything of him) from Atlantis? Is there more than one Atlantis? Some retcon?

No no, attilan was moved FROM atlantis. Or something. All i recall is that it burst from the ground in some icy region and namor was all salty cuz he considered it part of his domain. They kinda explain it. Just go with the flow (and try to survive the lettering).

Good sir, you convinced me to pick up Velvet. Excited to check it out

Given the interests you've displayed so far, here's a short comic book guide tailor-made for you:
Is brubaker or rucka writing it? Pick it up.

ESPECIALLY queen and country. Arts kinda ruff, but the writing... hnnng

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Yooooooo Mighty Thor #1 holy shit

Aaron the goat continues to work his magic. Art is fantastic aswell. Man what a run he's having with this character (well these, furst Odinson and now Jane). Its going to hurt when he leaves the book.

Due to some random reccommendation, reading Deadpool: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Now, i'm familiar with Dugan's writing, so i can only guess that most of the the text is coming from Posehn here, because dear gods is it on point. Logan acting like a trained bastard, cap not being a huge asshole, and wade as a considerably tragic figure? Damn son, that's some holy trifecta of greatness.Seriously good stuff.

Would there be any particular reason why I should get the Omnibus instead of the 3 trades for Brightest Day? As far as I can see, it doesnt collect anything outside of the standard issues collected in the trades.

http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/DC/BRIGHTEST-DAY-OMNIBUS-HC/APR140272

Trades;

http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/DC/BRIGHTEST-DAY-TP-VOL-01/SEP110177
http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/DC/BRIGHTEST-DAY-TP-VOL-02/FEB120255
http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/DC/BRIGHTEST-DAY-TP-VOL-03/JUN120244

Finished Zenith Phase II. This is really fun stuff. I like how fast-paced it is, you get through a lot of stuff really quickly while still getting all the details. Steve Yeowell's art is really good here too with the intense shadows to create suspense. My favorite part was how
Zenith stopped a guy from launching nukes by talking about how ruling the world sounds pretty annoying at the end of the day.
Love Morrison's sense of humor lol

It also features a multiverse and those make everything better.

Would there be any particular reason why I should get the Omnibus instead of the 3 trades for Brightest Day? As far as I can see, it doesnt collect anything outside of the standard issues collected in the trades.

http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/DC/BRIGHTEST-DAY-OMNIBUS-HC/APR140272

Trades;

http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/DC/BRIGHTEST-DAY-TP-VOL-01/SEP110177
http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/DC/BRIGHTEST-DAY-TP-VOL-02/FEB120255
http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/DC/BRIGHTEST-DAY-TP-VOL-03/JUN120244

Supposedly the omni is prone to falling apart. So avoid it. I bought the hardcovers as they came out. So just get the individual volumes.

frye

Finished Zenith Phase II. This is really fun stuff. I like how fast-paced it is, you get through a lot of stuff really quickly while still getting all the details. Steve Yeowell's art is really good here too with the intense shadows to create suspense. My favorite part was how
Zenith stopped a guy from launching nukes by talking about how ruling the world sounds pretty annoying at the end of the day.
Love Morrison's sense of humor lol

It also features a multiverse and those make everything better.

I liked 1 and 2 when I read them but I think 3 (which is the Crisis riff) blows them outta the water, I really really dug that one a lot

I liked 1 and 2 when I read them but I think 3 (which is the Crisis riff) blows them outta the water, I really really dug that one a lot

I remember you saying that so I'm looking forward to it! So far the story has been pretty tame but with the stuff that happened at the end of Phase 2 along with the interlude at the end, I'm sure it'll get a lot crazier.

ironmang

Got my free month of marvel unlimited and my tablet arriving tomorrow. Couldn't wait and started reading some comics on my iphone with smart panel lol. I can tell I'm going to be hooked when I have a nice big screen to hold in my hands.

Does comixology or any other digital stores have sales on runs from time to time? I could see myself going digital on series that I'm not collecting if it's reasonably cheaper than paper.

Inhumans 1998 #1 question:

If I understand correctly it says that Attilan was moved to Atlantis, which in turn had risen from the sea. Is Namor and co (never anything of him) from Atlantis? Is there more than one Atlantis? Some retcon?
Basically, Morgan Lefay showed up and rose Atlantis from the see, because it's apparently the true Avalon a.k.a. Camelot's Magic Paradise. This did fuck over Namor, who at the time was trying to stop it. The Inhumans tried to claim Atlantis, because it's apparently their ancestral home.

If you want to know the details, read Fantastic Four/Inhumans: Atlantis Rising.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Got my free month of marvel unlimited and my tablet arriving tomorrow. Couldn't wait and started reading some comics on my iphone with smart panel lol. I can tell I'm going to be hooked when I have a nice big screen to hold in my hands.

Does comixology or any other digital stores have sales on runs from time to time? I could see myself going digital on series that I'm not collecting if it's reasonably cheaper than paper.

Comixology never stops having sales. Can't beat 99 cent issues.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Super late to the party as the UK are just waking up, but that weird serif on the C in the DC logo bugs the hell out of me. The logo itself is uninspired (not that Marvel have a particularly inventive logo) but adding that weird tilted serif to the top of the C is just odd. Why at the top and not the bottom? Makes me think it's a G for some reason now when I look at it.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Do they do that on recent issues? Not like ones that just released or anything but say if some ongoing monthly is on issue 30, could they have the first half or so on sale?

Yeah I think for Marvel and DC pretty much anything over a year or year and half old is fair game for a sale. For instance when the Deadpool movie came out CMX had a sale on the entire run of the Deadpool series that ended last year.

When Image stuff is on sale they pretty much only exclude the last issue to come out. All Image books also drop a dollar after they have been out a month. Which is pretty sweet for an Image fanboy like me.

Hagi

Civil War 2 #0 was pretty good, my interest is certainly piqued. I think it should be She-Hulk on the opposing side to Carol though, she certainly has a better case to be against her than whatever Tony is going to moan about.

Civil War 2 #0 was pretty good, my interest is certainly piqued. I think it should be She-Hulk on the opposing side to Carol though, she certainly has a better case to be against her than whatever Tony is going to moan about.

Yeah they set up her philosophy really nicely. But if you read the FCBD book
all this Rhodey stuff is some real Live-4-Ever shit

Hagi

Yeah they set up her philosophy really nicely. But if you read the FCBD book
all this Rhodey stuff is some real Live-4-Ever shit

I'm waiting for that to pop up on comixology but I read some spoilers for it so yeah
the Rhodey stuff is a bit funny now I know that after he gets offered the job of a lifetime he's fridged by a machine gun wielding Thanos.

Coipel draws a really nice Carol, liked the little touch of having her collar unbuttoned.

arkon

Do they do that on recent issues? Not like ones that just released or anything but say if some ongoing monthly is on issue 30, could they have the first half or so on sale?

They do. Sometimes timed to coincide with releases in other media like tv and film.

Top Bottom