• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2016. Let's Do It. Let's Fall in Love.

I wouldn't but already heard some grumbling about the fact that this is really going to cut into folks royalties and that matters a lot for smaller books since they're probably not getting paid that high of a page rate.

This might really cripple smaller publishers in the sense that people aren't going to by Valiant books D&D because they can just wait for the book to show up on the unlimited platform.

For a healthy comic industry we gotta make sure that smaller publishers survive and creators are able to be compensated so they can continue to create.

This is really good for consumers but not sure what the financial picture is for creators/publishers.

Having the highest visibility in the digital market and Amazon backing you means you can push your weight when negotiating contracts.

Just things to keep in mind.

I did bring it up in the other thread.

Having Marvel and/or DC would definitely have suppressed the views/visibility/payout for Image/Dark Horse and other pubs.

Similarly, a larger fraction of the the money now is going to go to Image/Dark Horse and it is going to hurt other smaller pubs.

And with publishers like Fantagraphcis where a lot of the books are OGNs or complete collections, I wonder how they can afford it.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I would think this Regular Show graphic novel should be right up GAF's alley tomorrow:
http://www.comicbookresources.com/c...-show-clash-of-consoles-ogn-boom-studios-2016
tumblr_o74zfr7FIf1ttss4uo1_540.jpg

tumblr_o74zfr7FIf1ttss4uo3_540.jpg

tumblr_o74zfr7FIf1ttss4uo4_540.jpg

J Allard pun may even make it topic worthy for the other side.

VanWinkle

YES. Daredevil by Waid is awesome. I love the tone. It is just well-suited to a street level character, IMO.

Only thing I am not so positive about is the art. I actually think the drawing is great, but the coloring throws me off. This is not the first time I've seen this, but if you have a flat coloring style, NEVER go with this airbrush-style of shading. It just looks odd. You have to commit to the flat style. Of course, I don't like airbrush-style shading at all period, but it just looks even more off here.

Mindwipe

I wouldn't but already heard some grumbling about the fact that this is really going to cut into folks royalties and that matters a lot for smaller books since they're probably not getting paid that high of a page rate.

Oh well, totally. I think a lot will depend on if those readers convert to buying later volumes. But I don't know if CMX will refresh content enough to keep subscribers that way to be honest. It looks a great deal now, but after six months I can see people being heavily burnt out of library unless they're rotating out a lot of books with newer volumes, and then people won't buy and the model for creators goes to shit.

EDIT: Also, lol at the thread in OT for 7 year old suitable comics. Some people.

Hagi

I want to apologize for disrespecting COMIC GAF's waifu, D.Va. She is a valuable asset to the game and is charming as all hell.

MEI CAN STILL FUCK OFF.

Mei's the best though, so much fun to play.

Started reading Criminal yesterday and bloody hell is it good.

TheFlow

Banned
Harbinger Vol 1
OMG So fucking good! First Valiant title and I love it. The Protagonist kicks ass but is also a danger to others. The battle/fight scenes were so good. interested to see how that plays out. Added to my wishlist and will pick up the rest of the series when I do another one of my famous binges.

61n8gyvOkXL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

5/5

One thing I noticed no one is asking is how is this going to affect creator royalties.

It was asked! And the CEO basically said "We're not free to discuss that."

That being said, obviously books read through this service will provide much less in terms of royalties and other compensation. The model only works if it gets people to read stuff they wouldn't otherwise read without it and/or gets people to buy issues they wouldn't otherwise buy. That's the hope and I wish them luck with it.

http://comicbook.com/2016/05/24/geoff-johns-issues-personal-money-back-guarantee-on-dc-universe-/

Geoff Johns said:
"It’s $2.99 for 80 pages. It’s not a lot," Johns told Comicbook.com in an interview in New York. "If anyone wants to check out comics, wants to check out DC Universe Rebirth #1 and doesn’t like it, they can mail [the comicbook] to Warner Bros., to me, and I will send them a check, I literally will, for both postage and for the book. I will buy all these books back because I believe in this issue a lot. I think it’ll do very well. I hope it does well. But I seriously will, I’ll buy back this book."

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
I am about to make you happy man. I just started Harbinger and then I will read a couple from there.

I will post my full impressions later today. so look forward to that.

this looks great
4277168-04.jpg

Just read that this morning, it was really cool. I wish Kevin Wada had done all the covers, though. So pretty.

woah I didn't know there was hc for these Valiant titles.

does the first 2 volumes collect the whole story? if so I will buy them physically

Just started
X-O Manowar Vol. 1: By the Sword

I am excited to read this because I always see it being talked about on comicvine.

Almost entirely. They collect the entire run of Harbinger, including a closing mini and a related one-shot, but they don't include the Harbinger Wars event mini that the last few issues of the first OHC tie into. Should still be entirely readable although I don't remember off the top of my head what stuff was in Harbinger, what in Harbinger Wars, and what in Bloodshot for that event.

Almost entirely. They collect the entire run of Harbinger, including a closing mini and a related one-shot, but they don't include the Harbinger Wars event mini that the last few issues of the first OHC tie into. Should still be entirely readable although I don't remember off the top of my head what stuff was in Harbinger, what in Harbinger Wars, and what in Bloodshot for that event.
They have a separate book that collects all the Harbinger Wars issues which sucks.

Duress

Oh my! Comixology has an Unlimited subscription, like a Kindle library for 6 bucks a month. I wonder what titles are included.

bleh I'm late to the party. The titles seem kind of weak right now.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Angela Queen of Hel #2 and Vader Down #1 (!) Added to the weekly MU update

Oh my! Comixology has an Unlimited subscription, like a Kindle library for 6 bucks a month. I wonder what titles are included.

I think the titles are GREAT, I just wish there was more than 1-3 volumes for them

TheFlow

Banned

lol the titles are actually among the best in the medium. how many volumes seem be the problem.

arkon

I was excited by the prospect when there was rumblings of it but based on the comixology unlimited announcement and the talk about their mission statement for the service it's not something I'm going to be a regular subscriber of. Maybe for a month every once in a while.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
I think the titles are GREAT, I just wish there was more than 1-3 volumes for them

I get why there aren't, but what I'm interested in seeing is how the library changes going forward.

Do they get full series or just more series' first volume(s)? The later seems more likely, because there's no way for the company to make up lost sales if they give the whole thing away soon after release. It's why I think Scribd is such an odd deal. I'm getting (what seems like) all of Valiant and I haven't actually paid any money yet. How are they making money on that?

I will accept your apology as our best D.Va player.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Harbinger Vol 1
OMG So fucking good! First Valiant title and I love it. The Protagonist kicks ass but is also a danger to others. The battle/fight scenes were so good. interested to see how that plays out. Added to my wishlist and will pick up the rest of the series when I do another one of my famous binges.

61n8gyvOkXL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

5/5

woah I didn't know there was hc for these Valiant titles.

does the first 2 volumes collect the whole story? if so I will buy them physically

Just started
X-O Manowar Vol. 1: By the Sword

I am excited to read this because I always see it being talked about on comicvine.

Glad you liked it.

You'll have to get Harbinger Wars via TPB or the overpriced OHC (well, not overpriced, but it collects issues from other collections and is redundant).

They have a separate book that collects all the Harbinger Wars issues which sucks.

Yep. That's one of two of the Valiant OHCs I don't own (The other being the third X-O one because the Armor Hunters OHC literally had every one of those issues plus a bunch more) because I just couldn't justify a OHC where basically 2/3rds of the content was in other OHCs I already owned. As a result, I only have the TPB which is just the 4 issues of Harbinger Wars mini.

TheFlow

Banned
X-O Manowar #1-8
Solid series, and I loved the interactions with Ninjak but it was hard to be invested when he was curbstomping everything in site. I hope he faces tougher foes in the later issues. I am on board with this title.
16123326.jpg

4/5

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
X-O Manowar #1-8
Solid series, and I loved the interactions with Ninjak but it was hard to be invested when he was curbstomping everything in site. I hope he faces tougher foes in the later issues. I am on board with this title.
16123326.jpg

4/5

He does, there's a whole crossover about it.

TheFlow

Banned
I am making an list of the stuff I am reading due to CMX unlimited and will post next month when my trial ends.

already read 13 issues so far

Cth

someone said that DC rebirth was a warmup compared to what Marvel just did with Captain. Now I gotta find out what happened

I don't mind the DC thing.. There's actually some potential.. The Cap thing makes no sense at all though IMO. Even then, there no chance it stays or isn't revealed as a swerve.

Of course, this is comics no one should expect straying too far from the status quo. Rich is just drumming up hits as per usual.

TheFlow

Banned
Oh almost forgot that that the first 6 pages of Rebirth are up as a preview.

off to a good start..

edit: the marvel comic was from an article I read but I am sure they are talking about the shock value I guess.

Top Bottom