• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2016. Let's Do It. Let's Fall in Love.

mreddie

BODIED

https://twitter.com/ThatDispenser/status/736019884879052801

CjbeL1LWgAEM_FX.jpg

After reading two Star Wars novels (no pictures) in the last 2 weeks, I'm realizing that I'm doing comics all wrong. I'm not really taking the time to discect the art. I'm reading the words and glancing at the art. For instance in Rebirth #1,
when Batman finds the Comedians pin in the bat cave, I just kind of accepted it was just there. My brain didn't really question why or how it got there. It was only later by reading a thread about it, did I learn that pin flew out of the speed force when Wally appeared.
. It was my job to examine that and I didn't. In a prose novel, it would have all been written out for me to draw my own picture in my head.

yeah, golden age superhero stuff has a reputation for not being that good but I think a lot of it is people going back to the first Batman/Superman appearances which, frankly, are not great comics. Some of the stuff like Cole's Plastic Man and early Captain Marvel hold up pretty well though (and outside of superheroes, a lot of the classic comic strips are from before the 1950's anyways)

True. When I first tried a few Golden Age stuff, I went for what is well known now.(Batman, Sandman, Doom Patrol, etc). Will look into Captain Marvel Archives now too.

After reading two Star Wars novels (no pictures) in the last 2 weeks, I'm realizing that I'm doing comics all wrong. I'm not really taking the time to discect the art. I'm reading the words and glancing at the art. For instance in Rebirth #1,
when Batman finds the Comedians pin in the bat cave, I just kind of accepted it was just there. My brain didn't really question why or how it got there. It was only later by reading a thread about it, did I learn that pin flew out of the speed force when Wally appeared.
. It was my job to examine that and I didn't. In a prose novel, it would have all been written out for me to draw my own picture in my head.

I have to say I had a little trouble finding it even when I went back to look for it specifically...

TheFlow

Banned
I really, really dig Clean Room. Wonderfully drawn and written. Also pretty damn twisted as well. Trying to think that it is like, and I am having a hard time. it is pretty unique. Horror with humor is the best way to describe it, but the humor is dark.

And actually I should have added Unfollow to my list of current favorites. Awesome premise and brilliantly executed. Also Sherrif Of Babylon. Between those two and Jacked, Vertigo is really killing it right now.

It was already pointed out that I do, but I think this should also answer the question!
BpRb.jpg

I thought these were great since they are tributes to great movies. In particular Fargo, Dog Day Afternoon and Snatch. Also it is hard to see it but the red cover on the top left is a variant cover for some comic book store called Larry's Comics. I HAD to have that one.

I go slightly crazy with the Black Mask variant covers. Especially We Can Never Go Home. I also grew up listening to Hardcore/Punk music, as did the writer for it, so all the variant covers for WCNGH are punk rock related. Like they were made for me specifically. I have 11 total just for issue #1. It is bad. LOL Here are 4 of my favorites...
KpRb.jpg

Also I forgot to mention another current favorite. BEK by Aftershock comics. or Black Eyed Kids. It is only 2 issues in but I really am digging it so far.

Another favorite title that was only a 4 issue was Last Sons Of America by BOOM! Great little series there, loved the art style, and more of a politically based premise, but awesome.

Finally I am so upset I forgot this one, Tokyo Ghost is easily one of my current favorite titles as well.

As I said, I am kind of all over the place, but I like it like that. My tastes are eclectic and more towards the "indy" type comics, if you can even call them that.
Woah nice single issues

mreddie

Comics! lOTl June 2016. More swerves than a episode of Days of Our Lives.
Comics! lOTl June 2016. Overwatch thread is on the Gaming Section
Comics! lOTl June 2016. Made in Manhattan.
Comics! lOTl June 2016. Hail Hydro Man.

Of course, I doubt no one will top Manhattan Project.

DirtyLarry

4 Kids walk into a bank and We can never go home seem kinda artsy. I think both would be better if Harley Quinn were involved.

side note: If these have a cmx sale i'll probably buy them.
4 Kids is pretty artsy I suppose as it has a decent amount of conversation that is "witty," but We Can Never Go Home is a pretty straight approach to newfound powers stories. I think that is why it is one of the more popular Black Mask titles tbh, as it is the least artsy out of all of them. It is easily one of my favorite titles of last year.

the WCNGH variants are dope. I have this one:

apparently it was a ECCC variant. Rosenberg told me that like no one bought it there but sold out quickly when they brought them to Wondercon in SoCal, which makes a lot of sense to me
Nice. Literally one of the only ones I do not have!!! Jealous!!

Do you have the London Calling variant for the WCNGH trade? My wife snagged m3 a signed copy for Christmas this past year.
NICE!! I Do not have that one either. I have the LCSD one, NEC one, Hypno Comics one, and Jesse James one. 2 (or 3) of the 4 are hardcovers which are nice. Since that one you have was from the UK was always pretty pricey to pick up. I see one one eBay now, also signed, going for $99. Way out of my price range.

I actually just purchased my first ever CGC graded comic book! A 9.8 of WCNGH LCSD Variant #1. Literally the very first comic I have ever purchased that is graded.
ZpRb.jpg

tim1138

The Manhattan project for June ot is the best

I might leave the thread of it's not this

NICE!! I Do not have that one either. I have the LCSD one, NEC one, Hypno Comics one, and Jesse James one. 2 (or 3) of the 4 are hardcovers which are nice. Since that one you have was from the UK was always pretty pricey to pick up. I see one one eBay now, also signed, going for $99. Way out of my price range.

I also have the LCSD hardcover, that's such a nice book. She got the London Calling variant straight from Forbidden Planet as soon as it available.

shingi70

Banned
Cmx sales are like steam sales where O get all the interesting medium changing books for cheap, and then pay full price for DC, be marvel and Star Wars.

Makes me feel bad.

Rebirth was fun. Had to look up a few side characters and stories I wasn't familiar with, but really enjoyed it overall. Looking forward to trying out a few more DC books over the next few weeks.

Mifune

Mehmber
I read the first issue of DC: The New Frontier. Gorgeous art. And what a powerful ending. I got choked up.

R.I.P. Darwyn.

Owzers

Cmx sales are like steam sales where O get all the interesting medium changing books for cheap, and then pay full price for DC, be marvel and Star Wars.

Makes me feel bad.

That's why you subscribe to MU so you can say " at least i'm spending money on the good books"

Saw that on Twitter, thought it might be yours. Beautiful page. Love Virginia, don't want bad things to happen to her.
I'm not hopeful.

Yeah that's uh not gonna end well, I fear

I'm kind of amazed Marvel is letting King tell this story

Unfollow sounds like And There There Were None on a global scale.

Unfollow is a terrific book that will probably be canceled before it can deliver on its premise

Speculation time!! How will The Vision end??

My guess:
Vision realizes his "family experiment" was flawed from the start and is forced to kill his entire Vision family

So I'm on kind of iffy on Paper Girls. On one hand, the art and characterization was excellent. Vaughan really established the four girls well, and made them characters you want to root for. And the premise is great. But on the other, the set-up isnt as...alien/otherworldly as I had hoped, and also I wished the mystery and weirdness was revealed at a more subtle, gradual pace. I'm defintelly looking forward to the next arc though; the cliffhanger was great and opened the doors for a lot of interesting possibilities

Has anyone read Ufology? That's supposed to be another Spielbergian "young friends stumble onto some weird happenings" series

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Speculation time!! How will The Vision end??

My guess:
Vision realizes his "family experiment" was flawed from the start and is forced to kill his entire Vision family

That's sort of my guess, but I think
that one of the kids gets away, probably Viv. Hopefully the dog, too.

Twas my tweet

I was only a little bit jealous that yours got the CIA officially approved retweet. Just a little bit, I swear.

Sadist

Welp, bought a few more paperbacks. Got the Captain America Winter Soldier Ultimate Collection because of the nice price. Also I just couldn't resist X-Men Days of Future Past for € 10. I remember reading it a few years ago and I was surprised that I really liked it. Same goes for God Loves, Man Kills. Need that one too down the line. Normally I find it really hard to read "older" comics, but those two clicked with me.

I also have Essential Spider-Man vol.2 somewhere and tried reading through it but I just can't. Oh well. Has the issue where Mary-Jane appears for the first time ever. That's cool though.

Messi

That's sort of my guess, but I think
that one of the kids gets away, probably Viv. Hopefully the dog, too.

I was only a little bit jealous that yours got the CIA officially approved retweet. Just a little bit, I swear.

Does this mean I am vetted?

One of the likes was Mikel Janim

Top Bottom