• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2016. Let's Do It. Let's Fall in Love.

DirtyLarry

Damn. I do not really venture into Off Topic that much so keep forgetting this thread exists. Not sure where I can even begin.
Here is my modest physical collection. Not all of my collection is in that. The smaller indy stuff and indy variant covers are not in it as they are for some reason not in the database or take months to get in.
Black Mask is my favorite studio right now. I like all of the stuff they have recently put out. Their first titles are meh but all the new stuff they do is great to me. Space Riders, We Can Never Go Home, Transference, Young Terrorists. All on the top of my list right now.
Image a very close second.
Also like some Dark Horse Titles, BOOM, list goes on.
Only really read Marvel (although I did pick up DC Rebirth for some reason and just read it last night, had zero clue what was going on but was into it) and I only just started getting back to Marvel. They are who I grew up on but I took a hiatus from comics for almost 15 years there. Hiatus started when I went to college, which should have been the time I was reading them most, but for some reason I just stopped. Money probably the biggest reason and digitial did not exist yet.

I have a serious problem with collecting right now. I am 41, have a good job, so I pick up way more comics than I should. Storage is a big problem right now (not kidding), as I refuse to put them in my basement for various reasons. Biggest one being I lost half my childhood collection in Hurricane Sandy in NJ as they were in my parents basement and it got flooded. That sucked. I had some definite classics in there.

My current favorite titles in no particular order are
Clean Room
Jacked
Harrows County
Citizen Jack
Outcast
Black Science
Saga
Sex Criminals
Second Sight
Wolf

I just have a pretty varied taste which does not help things.

My digital collection is over 16 times the size of my physical.
So just thought I would pop in and say hello to my fellow comic readers.

Comics are for sure my crack. I read about 75-100 titles a month across all studios. I currently use an online subscription service where they deliver my comics at the end of the month. My average haul each month is 95 comics. It really is a problem and I am trying to cut that down dramatically.

Also slowly working on my own, which I am sure so many others are as well. I hope one day you will all get to check out Official Artificial.

Enjoy fellow readers.

If you have not done so yet check out 4 Kids Walk Into A Bank. My favorite first premiere title in quite some time.

Hey DirtyLarry! Welcome

Always like new voices with new tastes. I'm also one that struggled with comic storage after a decade or two of comics. Have gone almost all digital now with the occasional trades

Favorite ongoing Is either Saga or Low

Boogiepop

Okay, so with Rebirth, quick question actually:
What were the specific implications of the Comedian's pin being there, exactly? Didn't read Flashpoint ever (and to be fair it's been a hell of a long time since I read Watchmen), so maybe that's why I'm missing something. Like, it works as an "oh damn!" moment for the audience, but what exactly does the pin being in the batcave actually end up meaning? Like, I feel like I get Dr. Manhattan's role here, but in thinking on that one a little deeper I feel like I don't 100% "get it", outside of the obvious of using the most iconic image to signal to readers that "this is Watchmen, in case you missed it".

tim1138

What were the specific implications of the Comedian's pin being there, exactly? Didn't read Flashpoint ever (and to be fair it's been a hell of a long time since I read Watchmen), so maybe that's why I'm missing something. Like, it works as an "oh damn!" moment for the audience, but what exactly does the pin being in the batcave actually end up meaning? Like, I feel like I get Dr. Manhattan's role here, but in thinking on that one a little deeper I feel like I don't 100% "get it", outside of the obvious of using the most iconic image to signal to readers that "this is Watchmen, in case you missed it".

Other than it popping out of the speed force when Wally was in the cave, we really don't know within the context of the story

This I got from the interviews and not just from the book.

It looks like Dr. Manhattan created the DC Universe and has also been experimenting (without either malice or good intent - because that's what he is) with various events/characters. This lead to forgotten legacies and characters not acting like themselves and other characters being sidelined. This is the meta-commentary/explanation of the New 52 and a way to explain other happenings that fans have disliked or considered mistakes since Flashpoint. Rebirth is the experimentees realising that and fighting back. That's how I interpret Johns' statement that Dr. Manhattan is not a villain but an antagonist.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
This I got from the interviews and not just from the book.

It looks like Dr. Manhattan created the DC Universe and has also been experimenting (without either malice or good intent - because that's what he is) with various events/characters. This lead to forgotten legacies and characters not acting like themselves and other characters being sidelined. This is the meta-commentary/explanation of the New 52 and a way to explain other happenings that fans have disliked or considered mistakes since Flashpoint. Rebirth is the experimentees realising that and fighting back. That's how I interpret Johns' statement that Dr. Manhattan is not a villain but an antagonist.

Interesting, so you're suggesting that that DC have
taken Dr. Manhattan's "I think I'll create some [life]" comment (Image link) at the end of Watchmen and retroactively used it as the creation story for the whole DC Universe
. Ballsy move if so, but I think I appreciate the seperation that it creates between the DC universe and
Watchmen's

DirtyLarry

Hey DirtyLarry! Welcome

Always like new voices with new tastes. I'm also one that struggled with comic storage after a decade or two of comics. Have gone almost all digital now with the occasional trades

Favorite ongoing Is either Saga or Low
Thank you!!
Yeah Saga is definitely up there with my personal favorites. Just flawless. Really is.
I really, really love Black Science as well.
Truth is I got back into comics again because of The Walking Dead. Really dug the show and started reading the comics. I only read it for like a year and I was like hmmm, this Image Comics puts out TWD, I have to think their other titles might be good, and that was all she wrote.

Yeah storage truly is the biggest problem for me right now. My wife is not happy. I am looking to possibly build some custom drawers or something along those lines. Have to do it soon though as right now I have them scattered everywhere. I just love holding an actual book in my hands so not sure I can ever fully give it up.

I also forgot to mention perhaps my best personal related comic book item... not sure how many people are familiar with Hip Hop Family Tree by Ed Piskor released by Fantagraphics, but I did an illustration of De La Soul that is going to be in Volume 4. I am officially published in a comic book (technically a trade paperback I suppose) which was always a big dream. Releases pretty soon I believe.

keiichi

Welcome DirtyLarry, you've got great taste in books, I'm all aboard the Black Mask train, can't wait for Young Terrorists #2.

How's Clean Room? I've heard good things... Thinking about picking that and Unfollow up.

Owzers

I'm having a hard time going back to Hearthstone after starting Overwatch and MU comics after reading 20+ issues of Rachel Rising in a row.

tim1138

Damn. I do not really venture into Off Topic that much so keep forgetting this thread exists. Not sure where I can even begin.
Here is my modest physical collection. Not all of my collection is in that. The smaller indy stuff and indy variant covers are not in it as they are for some reason not in the database or take months to get in.
Black Mask is my favorite studio right now. I like all of the stuff they have recently put out. Their first titles are meh but all the new stuff they do is great to me. Space Riders, We Can Never Go Home, Transference, Young Terrorists. All on the top of my list right now.
Image a very close second.
Also like some Dark Horse Titles, BOOM, list goes on.
Only really read Marvel (although I did pick up DC Rebirth for some reason and just read it last night, had zero clue what was going on but was into it) and I only just started getting back to Marvel. They are who I grew up on but I took a hiatus from comics for almost 15 years there. Hiatus started when I went to college, which should have been the time I was reading them most, but for some reason I just stopped. Money probably the biggest reason and digitial did not exist yet.

I have a serious problem with collecting right now. I am 41, have a good job, so I pick up way more comics than I should. Storage is a big problem right now (not kidding), as I refuse to put them in my basement for various reasons. Biggest one being I lost half my childhood collection in Hurricane Sandy in NJ as they were in my parents basement and it got flooded. That sucked. I had some definite classics in there.

My current favorite titles in no particular order are
Clean Room
Jacked
Harrows County
Citizen Jack
Outcast
Black Science
Saga
Sex Criminals
Second Sight
Wolf

I just have a pretty varied taste which does not help things.

My digital collection is over 16 times the size of my physical.
So just thought I would pop in and say hello to my fellow comic readers.

Comics are for sure my crack. I read about 75-100 titles a month across all studios. I currently use an online subscription service where they deliver my comics at the end of the month. My average haul each month is 95 comics. It really is a problem and I am trying to cut that down dramatically.

Also slowly working on my own, which I am sure so many others are as well. I hope one day you will all get to check out Official Artificial.

Enjoy fellow readers.

If you have not done so yet check out 4 Kids Walk Into A Bank. My favorite first premiere title in quite some time.

Welcome to the thread!
It's nice to have another Black Mask Studios fanot here, there's only a few of us.

Mindwipe

taken Dr. Manhattan's "I think I'll create some [life]" comment (Image link) at the end of Watchmen and retroactively used it as the creation story for the whole DC Universe
. Ballsy move if so, but I think I appreciate the seperation that it creates between the DC universe and
Watchmen's

Rebirth spoilers

It is convenient that the beginning of the DC multiverse was traditionally presented as a big blue hand...

Zombine

Banned
If Black Panther is a step forward for minorities in comics, Nighthawk reads like a book that misses the mark and takes an "us vs them" approach and I'm not sure it's a message that works. This story needs to exist, but I'm not sure that this team is telling it in a way that isn't super bitter and counter productive.

It's pretty dull so far.

Edit: Page 16 is changing my mind.

Zombine

Banned
Finished Nighthawk. It's a complex book. It's pretty dark and it's coming from a place of frustration and I get that. My hope is that the creative team is able to get past whatever they feel personally and are able to make Nighthawk more than a white dude killer and have him represent good and make him morally superior to those he's fighting.

Also, one of the central conflicts of the issue is basically trapped in the 80s/90s.
Those rich white people are gonna take our public housing away from us for condos!
A more realistic conflict would be that the
rich white people aren't taking care of their properties and the minorities are being forced to live in squalor. The landlords don't give a shit, because they're just collecting their government checks from Hydra.
I wish Nighthawk was a lawyer.

IGN 8/10

Watchmen's

More Rebirth spoilers.

I don't know how much of a separation it is. If Mr. Oz == Ozymandias, it would imply that DC are going for something more substantial. Is Ozymandias looking for the answer to "Did I do the right thing" inside Manhattan's universe?

wetflame

Pizza Dog
More Rebirth spoilers.

I don't know how much of a separation it is. If Mr. Oz == Ozymandias, it would imply that DC are going for something more substantial. Is Ozymandias looking for the answer to "Did I do the right thing" inside Manhattan's universe?

Oh, I hadn't made that connection personally (i'm a casual DC fan), but even so
I'd prefer that the events of Watchmen did not occur as part of the DC universe's timeline
, which is what I meant in my previous comments.

mreddie

542207.gif

DirtyLarry

Welcome DirtyLarry, you've got great taste in books, I'm all aboard the Black Mask train, can't wait for Young Terrorists #2.

How's Clean Room? I've heard good things... Thinking about picking that and Unfollow up.
I really, really dig Clean Room. Wonderfully drawn and written. Also pretty damn twisted as well. Trying to think that it is like, and I am having a hard time. it is pretty unique. Horror with humor is the best way to describe it, but the humor is dark.

And actually I should have added Unfollow to my list of current favorites. Awesome premise and brilliantly executed. Also Sherrif Of Babylon. Between those two and Jacked, Vertigo is really killing it right now.

But DirtyLarry, did you read 4 Kids Walk Into a Bank?
It was already pointed out that I do, but I think this should also answer the question!
BpRb.jpg

I thought these were great since they are tributes to great movies. In particular Fargo, Dog Day Afternoon and Snatch. Also it is hard to see it but the red cover on the top left is a variant cover for some comic book store called Larry's Comics. I HAD to have that one.

I go slightly crazy with the Black Mask variant covers. Especially We Can Never Go Home. I also grew up listening to Hardcore/Punk music, as did the writer for it, so all the variant covers for WCNGH are punk rock related. Like they were made for me specifically. I have 11 total just for issue #1. It is bad. LOL Here are 4 of my favorites...
KpRb.jpg

Also I forgot to mention another current favorite. BEK by Aftershock comics. or Black Eyed Kids. It is only 2 issues in but I really am digging it so far.

Another favorite title that was only a 4 issue was Last Sons Of America by BOOM! Great little series there, loved the art style, and more of a politically based premise, but awesome.

Finally I am so upset I forgot this one, Tokyo Ghost is easily one of my current favorite titles as well.

As I said, I am kind of all over the place, but I like it like that. My tastes are eclectic and more towards the "indy" type comics, if you can even call them that.

Mindwipe

More Rebirth spoilers.

I think that's a red herring myself. Or at least Mr Oz will be a manifestation of Dr Manhattan rather than the literal Ozymandias. It doesn't make much sense if Dr Manhattan created the universe and then went and brought his mates over.

I think that's a red herring myself. Or at least Mr Oz will be a manifestation of Dr Manhattan rather than the literal Ozymandias. It doesn't make much sense if Dr Manhattan created the universe and then went and brought his mates over.

Unless he didn't do it intentionally. Which then begs the question of how they managed to do it.

Zombine

Banned
So I'm wondering if
Veidt summoning the octopus monster somehow plays into all this?
Did that create some sort of rift?

El Topo

I bought Grant Morrison's Wonder Woman Earth One. Finally I understand the appeal of the character. Great comic. Never read a Wonder Woman comic before, any others I should check out?

Li Kao

Read some more comics yesterday, all in all a pretty shitty reading session.

Aftershock Comics

aDsvhaV.jpg
18QxvWt.jpg

Black-Eyed Kids #1-2
Not too bad but failed to catch my interest. Some very dark scenes that feel like they are there just for the shock factor, confusing artwork face-wise, characterization is minimal... On one hand the plot seems to move fast in just two issues, on the other hand the same plot is quite generic.
5/10

Super Zero #1-2
It looked like a mediocre Conner/Palmiotti offering, and it is a mediocre Conner/Palmiotti offering indeed. For the time being the title seems to be build around one attempt at getting super power per issue and some meta comic book small talks.
Art is quite hideous.
Some nice characters but overall not nearly good enough.
3/10

Marvel Comics

0VpXCdj.jpg
DoXtvVl.jpg

I also quasi-finished my Spider-Verse reading...
Amazing Spider-Man #12-14
Scarlet Spiders #3
Spider-Man 2099 #7-8
Spider-Woman #2-4

Funny how I always miss super hero comics and how they often are so unremarkable. So yeah, event. Long, uninteresting, launching new series with an event arc (lol), making the tie-ins important to the whole story, Spider-Totems...
It was not unreadable, but I really have to wonder what the fuck is wrong with me to put up with such small time readings.
6/10

The Unbeattable Squirrel-Girl (2015) #7
Now that was a good comic book. Less funny than 6 but still damn enjoyable.
8/10

Owzers

4 Kids walk into a bank and We can never go home seem kinda artsy. I think both would be better if Harley Quinn were involved.

side note: If these have a cmx sale i'll probably buy them.

the WCNGH variants are dope. I have this one:

apparently it was a ECCC variant. Rosenberg told me that like no one bought it there but sold out quickly when they brought them to Wondercon in SoCal, which makes a lot of sense to me

So, The Omega Men #12 was... astonishing. That's how you end a damn series. It just... perfectly encapsulated, reframed, and crystalized all the themes the book had been playing with the whole time. And it did so with STYLE. With elegance. And with a literal reframing as well as a metaphorical one.

Incredible. You guys all need to read this.

So, The Omega Men #12 was... astonishing. That's how you end a damn series. It just... perfectly encapsulated, reframed, and crystalized all the themes the book had been playing with the whole time. And it did so with STYLE. With elegance. And with a literal reframing as well as a metaphorical one.

Plan to read all 12 today and tomorrow.

Will read in September.

frye

Finished with Plastic Man archives v2 and this just keeps getting better. Great comics and I don't have to include a "for its time" caveat. Plastic Man in hollywood was hilarious. The comic is here if you are ok with non-restored scans. Just 15 pages.

http://digitalcomicmuseum.com/preview/index.php?did=446

yeah, golden age superhero stuff has a reputation for not being that good but I think a lot of it is people going back to the first Batman/Superman appearances which, frankly, are not great comics. Some of the stuff like Cole's Plastic Man and early Captain Marvel hold up pretty well though (and outside of superheroes, a lot of the classic comic strips are from before the 1950's anyways)

tim1138

I really, really dig Clean Room. Wonderfully drawn and written. Also pretty damn twisted as well. Trying to think that it is like, and I am having a hard time. it is pretty unique. Horror with humor is the best way to describe it, but the humor is dark.

And actually I should have added Unfollow to my list of current favorites. Awesome premise and brilliantly executed. Also Sherrif Of Babylon. Between those two and Jacked, Vertigo is really killing it right now.

It was already pointed out that I do, but I think this should also answer the question!
BpRb.jpg

I thought these were great since they are tributes to great movies. In particular Fargo, Dog Day Afternoon and Snatch. Also it is hard to see it but the red cover on the top left is a variant cover for some comic book store called Larry's Comics. I HAD to have that one.

I go slightly crazy with the Black Mask variant covers. Especially We Can Never Go Home. I also grew up listening to Hardcore/Punk music, as did the writer for it, so all the variant covers for WCNGH are punk rock related. Like they were made for me specifically. I have 11 total just for issue #1. It is bad. LOL Here are 4 of my favorites...
KpRb.jpg

Also I forgot to mention another current favorite. BEK by Aftershock comics. or Black Eyed Kids. It is only 2 issues in but I really am digging it so far.

Another favorite title that was only a 4 issue was Last Sons Of America by BOOM! Great little series there, loved the art style, and more of a politically based premise, but awesome.

Finally I am so upset I forgot this one, Tokyo Ghost is easily one of my current favorite titles as well.

As I said, I am kind of all over the place, but I like it like that. My tastes are eclectic and more towards the "indy" type comics, if you can even call them that.

Do you have the London Calling variant for the WCNGH trade? My wife snagged m3 a signed copy for Christmas this past year.

Top Bottom