• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2016. Let's Do It. Let's Fall in Love.

Sadist

So reading through the Days of Future Past pb, I really like Claremont's style of writing. For something written in the eighties it holds up. Also, Nightcrawler is a chicken and Wolverine gives no fucks. Best Wolverine.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Yesterday I finished up all of the Valiant comics that Scribd had to offer, and I'll say that I'm officially a convert. I don't think I'll be buying everything that they offer, but there's a lot of characters that I really like, and they have a pretty good stable of writing and drawing talent, particularly Fred Van Lente. I also like the way that they do events, which is a lot less tie in focused than the big two. There are some books that I actively disliked but for the most part, it's all good stuff. Here's some tier rankings:

Great
-Archer and Armstrong
-Ivar, Timewalker
-Faith
-Harbinger
-Shadowman Vol 1 and 2
-Bloodshot w/ Lemire
-The Valiant
-Eternal Warrior, Vol 2
-Doctor Mirage

Good
-X-O Manowar
-Ninjak
- Shadowman Vol 3
-Unity
-Bloodshot Pre-Lemire
-Imperium
-Rai
-Harbinger Wars
-Armor Hunters
-Divinity

Eh
-Eternal Warrior Vol 1
-Book of Death, Wasn't quite what I was hoping for
-The Delinquents
-Dead Drop
-Punk Mambo (Great Character design, boring one shot)

Insufferable
-Quantum and Woody

Wow, I read a shit load of comics in two weeks.

El Topo

It's clearly in the mold of that Spielberg-ian 80s kid adventure, and I feel those movies kind of dole out their weirdness a bit slower. Just thought a bit more restraint in the early issues before diving in the craziness would have been cool

Oh, yeah, I guess that's right. We'll see where the series goes next.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Elektra Lives Again is growing on me but I can only read one Issue per day. Its a hard read, but you can definitly see from the way how the story is told that its from the same guy who wrote TDKR.
Not sure if ELA was before or after it, but he already did his TV screens thingy here.

Ponn

Banned
Am I a bad person if I buy that Mcfarlane Spider-Man omnibus? I know he gets alot of shit now (well, not as much as Liefield) but for better or worse he was a big part of 90's comic era. I had a couple of the Spider-Man #1 variants, shit I even had a subscription to that comic (remember when they were doing that?!).

Might be a good idea to create a thread for it so people who're thinking about jumping in with Rebirth get a chance to read stuff like Snyder's Batman.

TheFlow

Banned
Yesterday I finished up all of the Valiant comics that Scribd had to offer, and I'll say that I'm officially a convert. I don't think I'll be buying everything that they offer, but there's a lot of characters that I really like, and they have a pretty good stable of writing and drawing talent, particularly Fred Van Lente. I also like the way that they do events, which is a lot less tie in focused than the big two. There are some books that I actively disliked but for the most part, it's all good stuff. Here's some tier rankings:

Great
-Archer and Armstrong
-Ivar, Timewalker
-Faith
-Harbinger
-Shadowman Vol 1 and 2
-Bloodshot w/ Lemire
-The Valiant
-Eternal Warrior, Vol 2
-Doctor Mirage

Good
-X-O Manowar
-Ninjak
- Shadowman Vol 3
-Unity
-Bloodshot Pre-Lemire
-Imperium
-Rai
-Harbinger Wars
-Armor Hunters
-Divinity

Eh
-Eternal Warrior Vol 1
-Book of Death, Wasn't quite what I was hoping for
-The Delinquents
-Dead Drop
-Punk Mambo (Great Character design, boring one shot)

Insufferable
-Quantum and Woody

Wow, I read a shit load of comics in two weeks.
does scrib have all the issue to read for harbinger?

edit: just checked they have all the issue. might use a free trial to read all of harbinger and manowar

tim1138

A guy who had the gall to say that maybe some fans should stop writing death threats and hateful messages to creators, and maybe find another avenue to ask for representation in your preferred entertainment mediums, because the people who make them dont owe you a goddamn thing.

This is a top tier post.
That was a good article and shouldn't be dismissed off hand.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Am I a bad person if I buy that Mcfarlane Spider-Man omnibus? I know he gets alot of shit now (well, not as much as Liefield) but for better or worse he was a big part of 90's comic era. I had a couple of the Spider-Man #1 variants, shit I even had a subscription to that comic (remember when they were doing that?!).
Not worse then me.
Just buy it for the art ;)

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
does scrib have all the issue to read for harbinger?

edit: just checked they have all the issue. might use a free trial to read all of harbinger and manowar

They do. Based on the most recent books, they're basically 3 or 4 months behind the current releases, and it doesn't seem like there's all that much that's missing.

Elektra Lives Again is growing on me but I can only read one Issue per day. Its a hard read, but you can definitly see from the way how the story is told that its from the same guy who wrote TDKR.
Not sure if ELA was before or after it, but he already did his TV screens thingy here.
Do you mean Elektra: Assassin? Yeah it's harder than Miller's other Marvel/DC work. It's fantastic though. That + Lives Again + Daredevil = best Marvel run

Owzers

with this cmx sale i can finally read more Snyder Batman issues after dropping it with Endgame's conclusion.

Orrrrrrrr i can continue not reading Snyder's batman and think about how much i spent on that cover girls zatanna statue...

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Do you mean Elektra: Assassin? Yeah it's harder than Miller's other Marvel/DC work. It's fantastic though. That + Lives Again + Daredevil = best Marvel run
Yeah, Assasin. Lives Again was a One Shot he did afterwards.
I think I will read his Wolverine story afterwards. Its with Born Again my favorite Miller Book.

Does this apply to marvel and DC books?

I am going to to see what all they have in the comics section
Scribd doesn't have DC. Their Marvel selection is okay but it's certainly no Unlimited. They offer some good stuff like Busiek's Avengers though.

They also have IDW making it the cheapest and easiest way to read TMNT and Transformers. They've got a few other pubs too. It's a nice service that doesn't get brought up a lot. I subbed for several months last year.

TheFlow

Banned
Scribd doesn't have DC. Their Marvel selection is okay but it's certainly no Unlimited. They offer some good stuff like Busiek's Avengers though.

They also have IDW making it the cheapest and easiest way to read TMNT and Transformers. They've got a few other pubs too. It's a nice service that doesn't get brought up a lot. I subbed for several months last year.
Hm valiant and idw might do. Especially if we don't get this fucking Tmnt sale this Friday

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Shame on you.

I mostly agree

I love the concept of the overly serious veteran and his goofy brother getting super powers, but found the actual book to be incredibly frustrating to read. There's a line between bumbling and annoying and I feel like James Asmus and I disagree with where that line is.

Does this apply to marvel and DC books?

I am going to to see what all they have in the comics section

I didn't really look to closely at them (just Marvel, no DC on Scribd), but I don't think their catalog is that large on there, I could be wrong though.

Cjzvo3pUkAAYDIL.jpg

Devin Faraci is completely fucking right. That article was depressing.

It seems inevitable to me now that "fan" is strictly gonna be an insult before you know it, like "nice guy," and that makes me sad.

I got my first two Goon Library editions today. Gorgeous books, except for these filthy fucking dust jackets. I thought we cleansed all of those from the world.

A guy who had the gall to say that maybe some fans should stop writing death threats and hateful messages to creators, and maybe find another avenue to ask for representation in your preferred entertainment mediums, because the people who make them dont owe you a goddamn thing.

also can we talk about this post

Oh i see what that looks like now..sorry

Top Bottom