• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2016. Let's Do It. Let's Fall in Love.

Messi

Terry Moore tweeted me back. Black Edition of Rachel Rising is July, Hardcover omnibus in August and softcover in October. The man is nuts. Lol

Star Wars: Vader Down

So, I've really been enjoying Vader. It's the only SW book I've been reading, and so since Vader Down was next up as a crossover between Vader and SW, I was a bit worried. Crossovers and all that. However, I really liked it. It's a pretty short trade and there's not much to tell because of it.

Essentially, Vader is continuing on his search for Luke since an encounter they had in Star Wars. He is attempting to beat Karbin -- one of several new warriors the Emperor has been engineering to replace Vader, and who is formally tasked with finding Luke. Vader accidentally ends up in the middle of a Rebel training exercise, which Luke happens to be at. Vader murders a bunch of Rebels before Luke takes him down. The Rebels send out a distress call to Leia, who sets out with reinforcements that include Han, Chewie, and 3PO. Aphra also intercepts the message, and flies to the planet to assist Vader, along with 000 and BT. She also calls in backup that arrives later.

Vader kills a shitload of Rebels, Aphra tries to capture Luke, Leia tries to kill Vader, Han tries to rescue Luke, and Luke is just trying to get the fuck out of there. Aphra, 000, and BT duel Han and Chewie for Luke. Leia calls in an airstrike. Krrsantan (a wookie bounty hunter that hates Han and Chewie) stops Han, which causes even more of a clusterfuck. Then Karbin shows up, Vader and him duel. Vader kills him with Aphra's help, Aphra almost manages to capture Luke, but gets knocked out by Leia, who escapes during Vader's duel, and Krrsantan gets his ass knocked out like momma told someone. The remaining Rebels escape, as well as Vader's group. Oh, also the planet they were on had a Jedi Temple, where Obi-Wan's ghost told both Vader and Luke about some impending event. Obi-Wan took to informing Luke that he shouldn't have gone to the temple, and Vader that another is coming to balance the force since he failed.

It's a pretty simplistic story. Not much to say in the way of character analysis or depth, and I suppose there's some minor world-building here. There's certainly a lot of plot advancement on the Vader side of things, but since I'm not reading the core SW book, I have no idea how it plays on that side. Larroca and Deodato deliver beautiful art and glorious action in spades, though I feel Deodato is the stronger of the two. Of course, Gillen and Aaron are just both good writers. I love the action, seeing all the strategies just go to shit amongst the chaos. Oh, and the fight between Solo's crew and Aphra's crew is awesome. This was a really fun story to read, if a bit short.

Coming off of this, I must ask how the core Star Wars book is. I'm officially curious now.
I like Marquez. He has been severely missed on Invincible Iron Man.

Deodato's a really good replacement for him, though.

Well I finally completed my first Pokemon game. It's a series I never really tried even though I've been around it for 20 years. Just finished my playthrough of Pokemon Yellow. Pretty basic, VERY Grindy but it had its charms.

Sandfox

I still need to check out the Star Wars books.

Well I finally completed my first Pokemon game. It's a series I never really tried even though I've been around it for 20 years. Just finished my playthrough of Pokemon Yellow. Pretty basic, VERY Grindy but it had its charms.

I can't go back to the older games.

I can't go back to the older games.
Yea. They clearly have some UI age to them. I've never seen a game where they don't bother to explain items, moves, or really anything in the menus, stores, etc. also the limited inventory of items and in the computer but they never tell you what that amount is. You just run into it. I'm told the manuals back in the day explained things but I got it on 3ds with the release. Thankfully I used the Internet to find things out.

Now to find my next stream/TV watching game. Oh and this makes 26 completed games so far this year! Woot

Has anyone read Arcadia? Just learned about while looking for interesting sci-fi series. Got some SOMA vibes from the premise
When 99% of humankind is wiped out by a pandemic, four billion people are “saved” by being digitized at the brink of death and uploaded into Arcadia, a utopian simulation in the cloud. But when Arcadia begins to rapidly deplete the energy resources upon which the handful of survivors in the real world (aka “The Meat”) depends, how long will The Meat be able—and willing—to help?
DIG057811_2._SX640_QL80_TTD_.jpg

Loved the
Boomerang
cameo in the new Squirrel Girl.

Also started volume 2 of Brubaker's Catwoman just now. First issue was a nice little on-off issue. I've never been a huge Catwoman fan but this book is really changing that. Very great series. I really like how even though the artists do change, they manage to keep a pretty unified art direction so far.

VanWinkle

Ten issues into my Planetary re-read, and I just can't get over how good it is. I mean, I joined this comic GAF group when I FIRST started reading comics. Maybe a week into it. And when I mean first started, I mean literally. I had never read a comic book before last year. In a weird way, I didn't know HOW to read one. In my naivety, I thought if you have a comic book volume, that book is one linear story, one and done. If you have a single issue, that is one single story. I thought of them in such a straightforward, understated, and ignorant way. A few months into reading, I still didn't know much REALLY, and that's when I first read Planetary (my first omnibus, and my first book that contained more than one "volume" in it).

I remember being really confused a lot of the time. I remember perfectly making posts on here about how I was confused and not sure what was happening and having a hard time following. I knew it was good, I could tell the quality of the writing and the art was really good, but I just didn't appreciate it. It was in part because I couldn't understand any of the references and homages that were made, of course, but also because I didn't understand the format. I didn't understand the flow.

Reading it now, again, having read so so so many comics in the last year, it just clicks, and its brilliance shows itself immediately. It's a story, but in a lot of ways, it's a bunch of little stories making up a bigger one. The overarching plot is told in increments and not in a purely linear fashion. Now I'm not saying that Planetary uses some innovative storytelling or that it's never been done before. I'm just trying to convey that, more than anything else I've read, it begs for someone who is well-familiar with the medium. And I'm just happy that I can be now, and I can see for real what so many others have been able to.

Owzers

I bet someone's finger nails get bitten in Colder. Seems like that kinda book.

I read the first issue of the Vader Down miniseries, they are giving Vader the Roman Reigns treatment, such strength.

Also switched to Mei in a defend anubis map and was productive. I might even play as her more. I also ran into some terrrrrible matches. I need more ps4 overwatch friends and might have to add random people in the overwatch thread spreadsheet. People who don't use mics but can aim to make up for my lack of aim.

ElNarez

Banned
TOMORROW!

THE JUNE THREAD!

IT'S A HOT COLLABO BETWEEN TYRANT AND YA BOI ELNAREZ!

SOME OF THESE GOOFS I WROTE BEFORE CAP WAS A NAZI OR WHATEVER, BUT, THEY STILL WORK.

please get hype

Someone recommend me some good X-Men runs with Jubilee when she still had her mutant powers.

I loved the first few years of Generation X but it's been awhile since I read it, not sure the writing holds up. It's a Bachalo book though so I'm sure it's still gorgeous. First book that really brought me to appreciate him in fact.

Mindwipe

I loved the first few years of Generation X but it's been awhile since I read it, not sure the writing holds up. It's a Bachalo book though so I'm sure it's still gorgeous. First book that really brought me to appreciate him in fact.

Depressingly little 90s stuff holds up tbh.

Mindwipe

I need to actually read Paper Girls, it's still in the queue.

Using my MU the last few days to read return to the Age of Apocalypse. It's not very good.

X-Men '92.

Or anything pre-M Day, since she lost her powers on M Day. I've never really read any of the 90's era.

Read X-Men 92. Liked it, but not enough to follow the Post Secret Wars one unless it's really good.

I've decided to start with the Blue and Gold X-Men era because they look cool (love the 90s era costumes tbh, especially Storm and Jean's) and they also go into the Phalanx Covenant arc which is apparently the origin of Generation X?

I'm already at #91 of Exiles so I'm looking forward to a new X-book to read....

... Though I am still in the midst of reading Xtreme X-Men. I like it more now that the whole Kahn arc is over, but this murder mystery debacle is meh.

---

DC wise, I've started reading Geoff Johns' Hawkman run because I didn't realise Hawkgirl was so prominent in it.

Regarding his JSA run though, is it fine if I just start here or do/should I read everything beforehand first?

Anything with quality Hawkgirl is my jam.

Oh, and I've decided to buy the George Perez WW Omnibus. I was gonna wait until July when the first part of Greg Rucka's WW run gets released and buy both but I want the former now lmao.

Zombine

Banned
Paper Girl's story is legit delivered to you on a silver platter. It was the easiest
time travel
story I think I've ever read.

Adult from the future is harvesting children in one of the alternate 80s universes caused by meddling. There's a good chance that the leader is someone from the 80s who is stuck living in the past.

The story is just an observation on all the 30-somethings who can't get over 80s media. It's all about not dwelling on the past and trying to make a positive future, all taped together in a nice 80s summer movie blockbuster package.

It's not Grant Morrison.

El Topo

I mean, it is fairly clear in the issues I've read, but
the alternate time lines and/or logistics of the whole thing
threw me off a bit. And in all fairness, the author keeps things open/ambiguous enough.

squadr0n

Is there a Trade or something collecting their run on Gen X? It isnt on MU yet and I could only find 2 vol. on Amazon that only collects up to issue 11.

Is Rage of Ultron worth a read? Probably gonna order a bunch of tpbs etc later and been interested in it. Kinda pricy for 100 odd pages though...

Zombine

Banned
The art and characters were great, but I wish the sci-fi mystery was revealed a bit more gradually and I felt the actual sci-fi shenanigans were as weird or alien as I had hoped

For a BKV joint it does feel like he's playing all his cards right at the beginning unlike Y or Private Eye or any of his other books. I genuinely believe that this is his equivalent of a summer movie and I don't expect it to have too many arcs. I doubt the book has a premise strong enough to be anything other than comic book Goonies (which also has a premature ending IMO.)

They're going to meet up with alternate future versions of themselves, they'll team up to "defeat" the old dude or whatever, and then they'll go back to their own timeline.
I don't know if it offers much more than that.

I mean, Paper Girls isn't really about the mystery, is it?
It's clearly in the mold of that Spielberg-ian 80s kid adventure, and I feel those movies kind of dole out their weirdness a bit slower. Just thought a bit more restraint in the early issues before diving in the craziness would have been cool

Top Bottom