• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| May 2017 - Every Empire Falls

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackdoe

Just read the spoilers for Secret Empire 1 on io9. What happened would actually be insane if this all wasn't going to be wiped away with a cosmic cube after. This story doesn't even sound fun like Superior Spidey or Iron-Man.
It took years for Tony Stark to recover from the shit he pulled in Civil War, and that was tame compared to what Hydra Cap is doing (and even then they magically wiped it away by the end too). They have to magically wipe it away or else it will take close to a decade for everyone in-universe to forgive him.

Gonna put this here (because I have nowhere else) but the last Cucumber Quest update was the best! Honestly I find the dynamic between Cordelia and Peridot fantastic, and I love seeing more layers to the Nightmare Knight get peeled away...

Finished reading volume 2 of Invisible Republic. This book is fine. I came out of volume 1 anticipating the heat really turning up but instead it remained steady in it's tone and pacing of the plot and that's alright. I don't think there's any cast members that I would be cut up about if they died and I'm not sure anything meaningful will stay with me but it's a nice looking, competently written book with a solid story that knows what it wants to do and is doing it. Sometimes it strikes me as comic written for potential adaptation and it could dream bigger than that, I don't mind a book that swings big and misses sometimes for the peaks it scores in return, but I'll probably truck along one more volume. It's taking a break after that and maybe I'll drop off at that point but I'm not really trying to say anything particularly negative with that. It's just a perfectly alright book.

Sandfox

Just read the spoilers for Secret Empire 1 on io9. What happened would actually be insane if this all wasn't going to be wiped away with a cosmic cube after. This story doesn't even sound fun like Superior Spidey or Iron-Man.
The more "fun" stuff in Secret Empire is tied to the resistance.
Oh please, I hate him at least that much, and will continue to do so until the Madame Hydra thing is confirmed bullshit, at which point I'll think he's just a regular hack.
What Madame Hydra thing?

tim1138

Who dat?
I'm guessing it's someone Morrison created.

Link to wiki and other info in tags

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchester_Black

He was created for a Superman story called "What's So Funny About Truth, Justice, and the American Way" by Joe Kelly and Doug Mahnke that featured Superman going up against a group called the Elite. It was basically a reaction to the Authority and that style of comic.

Aw, that gambling issue of Silver Surfer is so good (it hit MU this week). Every issue is. I love Dawn. I love the book. I'm so glad it didn't get sucked up into CW2.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Manchester Black

Well that certainly sounds like someone he would have created.

Link to wiki and other info in tags

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchester_Black

He was created for a Superman story called "What's So Funny About Truth, Justice, and the American Way" by Joe Kelly and Doug Mahnke that featured Superman going up against a group called the Elite. It was basically a reaction to the Authority and that style of comic.

Oh, ok.
I've seen the DVD cover.

Aw, that gambling issue of Silver Surfer is so good (it hit MU this week). Every issue is. I love Dawn. I love the book. I'm so glad it didn't get sucked up into CW2.

It's better at being Doctor Who than Doctor Who has been for a while now.

ElNarez

Banned
Who dat?
I'm guessing it's someone Morrison created.

Nope, it's
Manchester Black
, from
"What's so funny about Truth, Justice and the American Way?", a.k.a. "Superman vs. The Elite"
, his deal is that,
he's a composite of pretty much every Warren Ellis character from Wildstorm ever, leading The Elite, who are basically just fake The Authority.
He was last seen in the
Pfeifer/Rocafort Teen Titans run, as a high-ranking S.T.A.R. Labs executive who did some shady shit with the Titans, but who the fuck knows if that's sticking.

Anyways,
Rocafort's design for him was pretty fucking sick and that's what I'm gonna miss the most.

Walking Dead 167:
Holy crap Kirkman actually did it. I thought it was a fake out. Now Rick is free to get with Michonne aww yeah.

What Madame Hydra thing?

The "Allies originally lost WWII and retconned it with a Cosmic Cube" thing. I did a whole bit on it before so I'm not gonna type it up again, but the long and short of it is that it says a few fairly sickening things about Spencer and his views on Cap and superheroes, heroism, and politics in general.

TWD 167
my fav, you guys. I dreaded this day. Andrea was the very best. I'm glad that she had a good death. She was a hero. And she got to say goodbye to her loved ones. But ouch. I'll miss seeing her kick ass. I wish she had made it to the end.

The more people compare Silver Surfer to Doctor Who the more certain I am that I ought to read it. I love the old Surfer cartoons, too.

Sandfox

TWD 167
my fav, you guys. I dreaded this day. Andrea was the very best. I'm glad that she had a good death. She was a hero. And she got to say goodbye to her loved ones. But ouch. I'll miss seeing her kick ass. I wish she had made it to the end.

The more people compare Silver Surfer to Doctor Who the more certain I am that I ought to read it. I love the old Surfer cartoons, too.
The current Silver Surfer run is inspired by Doctor Who, which Slott is a big fan of.
The "Allies originally lost WWII and retconned it with a Cosmic Cube" thing. I did a whole bit on it before so I'm not gonna type it up again, but the long and short of it is that it says a few fairly sickening things about Spencer and his views on Cap and superheroes, heroism, and politics in general.
That's what Steve believes, but based on what we know I would be surprised if it ended up being the truth. I have no way to know though, so we'll see.

geomon

Holy shit. I don't even think cosmic cube fuckery will fix this with the hardcore fans.

Not sure how many/any folks have read it, but I really love what Loughridge does with his colours on Southern Cross. Rereading first vol right now and he does some really clever colour coding on the various decks and sections of the ship to help build a geographical awareness of where the characters are at a glance, and to compliment Belanger's work. Panels going from being drenched in one hue to another really backs up the psychedelic space sickness stuff as it creeps into the panels and the plot too. Cool stuff.

Messi

Not sure how many/any folks have read it, but I really love what Loughridge does with his colours on Southern Cross. Rereading first vol right now and he does some really clever colour coding on the various decks and sections of the ship to help build a geographical awareness of where the characters are at a glance, and to compliment Belanger's work. Panels going from being drenched in one hue to another really backs up the psychedelic space sickness stuff as it creeps into the panels and the plot too. Cool stuff.

I really like this book. The art is unique and the coloring is great.

Youngblood #1 was a lot of fun.
Diehard is the president!

Most important question is, did Chapel still commit suicide to become Lord Chapel of hell, in order to raise an unholy army against Spawn and Youngblood (and Team Youngblood!) in revenge for being injected with a top secret strain of HIV by the shadow govt organisation that he and Al Simmons were mercenaries for? A simple yes or no will suffice.

Most important question is, did Chapel still commit suicide to become Lord Chapel of hell, in order to raise an unholy army against Spawn and Youngblood (and Team Youngblood!) in revenge for being injected with a top secret strain of HIV by the shadow govt organisation that he and Al Simmons were mercenaries for? A simple yes or no will suffice.

Uhhh... well... it doesn't NOT say that it still happened

did this actually happen lmao

Uhhh... well... it doesn't NOT say that it still happened

did this actually happen lmao

It totally did, in the Extreme Sacrifice crossover, although I've probably just gave a more coherent account of it than any of the actual books did, and falsely represented it as a masterpiece. I believe the crossover ends with Rob and Todd falling out and Todd writing anything to do with Chapel out of the Spawn mythos, which really makes the whole thing awkward.

On a more serious note lol, is it a reboot then, or is all the old stuff supposed to have happened? It feels so weird to be a normal superhero comic after everything Brandon Graham did with Prophet, Diehard in that is awesome!

Aquaman 22:
shut up Mera the hell he was supposed to do? big ole dummy. Abnett's setting up that Dolphin romance isn't he?

Deathstroke 22:
Damn, I truly thought Slade was going to kill Jericho and act like there were no fucks given afterwards. But he straight gave up. And when he teared up in that flashback it actually gave me feels. The hell happened to his other kid though?

I had thought when Jericho attempted to kill Isherwood that was going to be his descent into villainy but then he became a superhero. So I am very intrigued with where Priest is going with Hulkwood.

Was pretty funny to see Rose threaten Adeline. Such a dysfunctional family.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I have a question. How the fuck does Marvel keep getting me to buy these shitty event books? Do I have an innate need to punish myself? Do I need to keep up with the current story no matter how bad it is? Do I just hate money?

Please stop hurting yourself. We love you.

Duress

Reading Green Arrow Rebirth! I don't know why we bother with beardless Ollie and Arthur. They look like garbage.

18274756_1826739407645741_3449079826527172697_n.jpg

Suddenly not sure I wanted this.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
It looks fine, I'm wondering if they'll address Karolina's sexuality though

I bet they do. Lots of LGBT stuff in teen shows, now.

If they do it well, that's a whole other thing. But I'm sure that they'll do it.

Xavin is less likely.

I mean more just the reality of it makes it scary if it's a blunder. I really don't know anything about Hulu! We don't have it here at all, so I haven't saw any of their stuff.

That's fair.

All I know is that The Handmaid's Tale is just amazing.

mreddie

I mean more just the reality of it makes it scary if it's a blunder. I really don't know anything about Hulu! We don't have it here at all, so I haven't saw any of their stuff.

Same, I'm dreading getting Hulu but I fucking loved Runaways back in high school.

I bet they do. Lots of LGBT stuff in teen shows, now.

If they do it well, that's a whole other thing. But I'm sure that they'll do it.

Xavin is less likely.

Fuck man, I still hated how they did her dirty during the Moore run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom