• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| May 2017 - Every Empire Falls

Status
Not open for further replies.

CazTGG

I'm still confused about what actually lead up to Secret Empire, but I don't read Cap.

From what I understand, it involves, chronologically, Sam Wilson Captain America, Standoff, Captain America: Steve Rogers and Civil War II via a tie-in called The Oath and potentially the main event given that the Champions (which includes Miles Morales) are supposedly fighting against Cap in Secret Empire in the main book.

Well, there goes that wonderful image from my head. Maybe Sam Wilson or the Punisher will be the one to literally knock some sense into Captain America?
What happened to the "Miles is going to kill him" thing? I stopped reading Civil War 2 halfway through.

error4041

What happened to the "Miles is going to kill him" thing? I stopped reading Civil War 2 halfway through.
I think that is suppoesed to be addressed in issue #7 in July. The cover suggest that at least

Secret-Empire-7.jpg

Sandfox

I'm still confused about what actually lead up to Secret Empire, but I don't read Cap.

Basically:
-The Red Skull's old cosmic cube manefesting as a little girl named Kobik
-He told her children style fairy tales of Hydra as a force of good
-Maria Hill uses Kobik to brainwash a ton of villains into new identities and put them in a prison
-Zemo leads a breakout and the three Caps lead the charge to settle everyone down
-She deaged Steve and implanted her view of Hydra in him
- Steve is now Hydra, but he's planning on killing the Red Skull because the Skull's Hydra goes again his "force of good" Hydra
-We get flashbacks to Steve's new backstory where the new Madame Hydra became a second mother to him when he was child and he was sent to a Hydra school where he became best friends with Zemo
-Steve goes around manipulating the heroes to set up what happens in Secret Empire #0
- It turns out that almost everything that happened in CW2 was a ploy by Steve to divide the heroes and make them look bad to the public.
- Maria Hill is fired for her prison plot prompting Steve uses the fallout of CW2 to become director of SHIELD and gain complete control of the US
-Steve has been working to break Sam's spirit so he can willingly give up the Shield and that in combination with all the other crap Sam has been going through, he finally gives it up
-Over the course of all these stories Bucky and the Thunderbolts have been in possession Kobik. She send Bucky back to the past so that he can get a second chance and become Hydra. Zemo sends a new group of Masters of Evil after the Thunderbolts, Bucky returns, gets strapped to a rocket by Zemo and gets blown up similarly to how he did in the past
-Kobik is shattered into fragments and now Steve's job is to find them all on the order of Madame Hydra.
-This new Madam Hydra is seemingly some sort of literal monster. It revealed that she was against Hydra getting in bed with the Nazis and that the Red Skull was holding Zemo hostage during WW2 to get Steve to work for him so both of them absolutely hate him
-After the Red Skull loses Xavier's brain Steve kills him and forms his council as he becomes the new Leader

I'm probably missing some stuff.

CazTGG

I imagine they'll call back to it in Secret Empire with Steve being beaten by Miles and Miles seeming like he'll end Steve as Civil War II predicted, only for Miles to stop and say something along the lines of "i'm a hero, I don't kill my enemies, i'm better than that. You used to be the same", thus prompting Steve to remember himself and begin his "redemption" arc.

I imagine they'll call back to it in Secret Empire with Steve being beaten by Miles and Miles seeming like he'll end Steve as Civil War II predicted, only for Miles to stop and say something along the lines of "i'm a hero, I don't kill my enemies, i'm better than that. You used to be the same", thus prompting Steve to remember himself and begin his "redemption" arc.

Nah, I think this whole event is going to get erased by Cosmic Cube hijinx. Hopefully in a way that makes all of us forget we even read it. :3

Nah, I think this whole event is going to get erased by Cosmic Cube hijinx. Hopefully in a way that makes all of us forget we even read it. :3
Spencer implied that's not the case. Which doesn't mean he won't do it (both because he wasn't explicit and because people lie), but he did make a comment that made it seem like he won't.

And I think most of the people who want to forget they read it didn't read it in the first place.

They
belong together. Their scenes in the comic feel a lot more natural than Rick+Andrea.

I loved Michonne when she came on the scene. But pretty quickly, I felt that Kirkman lost her voice. Now I just feel like he uses her character however is convenient.

Andrea and Dale are OTP. Rick should be forever alone
because he sucks.

There's no shortage of amazing first issues showing off potential that ultimately went unrealized. Way too early to be calling it the next Vision.

error4041

Star Wars sale on Comixology for May the 4th. If anyone is interested in Marvel's Star Wars books now is the time.

I strongly recamend:
Lando
Darth Vader
and the main Star Wars book

Han Solo was also just Eisner nominated, so there's that too.

jurgen

Black Bolt feels like the next Vision.

It's a good book but not close to the level of Vision yet.

I was revisiting my trades of that last week when discussing it with my gf. I forgot how great the first issue was and how many poetic little moments there were.

Just finished The Spire. Did this end up winning an Eisner? It should have. Fantastic comic, and I ended up liking it more than Six Gun Gorilla. If only Kipp was around to read it!

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
"The Button" is starting to lose me. I mean, 3/4 in so I'll see it through but it's not what I expected at all. Not much has really advanced. My reaction to the newest issue was "Oh, that's nice..."

I'm guessing you mean Liam Sharp's Diana? Sometimes she looks great but then in the very next panel she can look like she has no rib cage. He's a nice artist, but I think I'd prefer to see him on something like Swamp Thing or a Justice League Dark reboot where he could draw monsters and such.

OH yea, Sharp sorry, not Scott. I 100% agree, the stuff in the jungle etc in that first volume is absolutely fantastic but it's like Diana, sometimes I turn the page and let out a short scream when I see her in a new panel for the first time. Maybe I'm embellishing it it a little but he has some really rough moments with her haha. I would just love a new Swamp Thing or Justice League Dark btw that was one of my favourite aspects of the enw 52. IT didn't work all the time, but I loved that commitment to having the horror family, the scifi family etc.

It got nominated unfortunately Fade out was released the same year

Sad times. I really enjoyed The Fade Out, but legitimately loved The Spire. It's genuinely a success and yea Ty, I would put it above Six Gun too. Six Gun is great but it feels like The Spire is the cumulation of that relationship and work together. You couldn't really get to one without the other, but damn. The Spire is just so well conceived. And a genuine rollercoaster ride, I was guessing til the end how things would shake out.

I was more hyped for C/D after that trailer than fucking Iron Fist.

That was actually a pretty great trailer lol I liked how character centric it was. I really don't know odds from ends when it comes to C&D but it looked good at least. Remember when people wanted a C&D book by Nick Spencer & Emma Rios?

arkon

I think I prefer Six-Gun Gorilla. It might be down to expectations or how I read the two series because The Spire is a blend of some of my favourite genres in fiction so should have an advantage in theory. Six-Gun was the second thing I read by Spurrier and I picked it up purely because of how much I liked X-men Legacy. I also read it almost all in one go once the last issue had released. I didn't expect the story to play out in the way it did. I expected a straightforward western (not sure why) and the messages and themes hit home for me.

The Spire I read piecemeal every 3 or 4 months until I blasted through the final few issues in a day. At this point I was more familiar with Spurrier's work and obviously had heightened expectations from the previous collaboration between Spurrier and Stokely. I kept waiting for that moment that I had with Six-Gun where everything clicked but it never came. It read like a more straightforward murder mystery to me. Still good, maybe even great but yeah....

I'll be interested to see if things change on a re-read. Maybe there's an element of rose-tinted specs with Six-Gun too.

I think I prefer Six-Gun Gorilla. It might be down to expectations or how I read the two series because The Spire is a blend of some of my favourite genres in fiction so should have an advantage in theory. Six-Gun was the second thing I read by Spurrier and I picked it up purely because of how much I liked X-men Legacy. I also read it almost all in one go once the last issue had released. I didn't expect the story to play out in the way it did. I expected a straightforward western (not sure why) and the messages and themes hit home for me.

The Spire I read piecemeal every 3 or 4 months until I blasted through the final few issues in a day. At this point I was more familiar with Spurrier's work and obviously had heightened expectations from the previous collaboration between Spurrier and Stokely. I kept waiting for that moment that I had with Six-Gun where everything clicked but it never came. It read like a more straightforward murder mystery to me. Still good, maybe even great but yeah....

I'll be interested to see if things change on a re-read. Maybe there's an element of rose-tinted specs with Six-Gun too.

I need to head out, but I'm definitely going to come back and respond properly later haha I think that's an interesting take though, and I wonder to what degree how we came at it made the difference (The Spire was my first Spurrier thing, and I read both in trade, each over a long evening).

I don't think it's rose tinted to say Six Gun is an incredible book though. It's incredibly strong thematically and has some really nice things to say. I love how focused Spurrier is as a writer on closure and endings, its really satisfying.

Aizo

Banned
Oh, shit. The Spire is Spurrier? :( Now my interest in it is dampened. The only book by him that I've read was Cry Havoc. That was probably the worst thing I read last year.

Holla,

Finally managed to fit a few comics in after bank holiday and then work catch up after bank holiday

Batman 22 - This was pretty good I thought, found it funny though how last time I was talking about it I was saying how even though I was enjoying it not much happened story wise in the first two issues. This issue was almost the opposite though. Too much was in one issue, I was they would have taken some of the story beats and let them breath across a few issues. I mean it covered
Flashpoint being saved from destruction by Dr Manhattan, what happened in the flashpoint world and the war in that time the world continued in? Bruce meeting up and fighting side by side with his father, Thomas Waynes final words to his son to give up being Batman, I'm guessing Dr Manhattan giving up his grip on the world and it dying again (did he do it because he knew Barry and Bruce were there or was it just after Thomas Wayne had given his message its purpose was done?)
. A lot to cover in just one issue.

I'm suprised a lot of you are saying you wished King would have written all 4 issues. I can get that if your a fan of King works hes done previously, but to be honest in the first button issue he wrote in terms of layout/style it was good but not much really happened for story at all.

Bane 1 - This on the other hand was not so good. I'm willing to give it more of a chance because of Dixon, but first issue didn't work for me. The art was pretty slack, the story was a little dull (maybe its building up) and Banes character seemed a bit all over the place.

Guardians

I really liked this, but it kept pulling my attention out of the book when it was so blatantly similar to the movies. It was only a few moments, but it took away from the book more than anything.

Black Bolt

I don't know a lot about Inhumans, but I liked this enough to check out a few more issues. I didn't think it was great, but it was interesting.

X-Men Gold

If Marvel Double shipping means they will not stick to the trade format of storytelling, I'm all in. The 'reveal' was pretty obvious, but I like the quick results to move on to whatever this leads to.

Secret Empire

I really liked the first half with it focusing on everything that has changed and focusing on the ancillary people, but it lost me a bit when it shifted to more of Cap and what he's up to. I know it's his event and all, but I feel like the more interesting story is in what has changed and not so much of what Cap is doing bad.

So just on the spire, oppose to comparing the spire and six gun because both are awesome, I was kind of wondering what you thought about the end. I just find the whole
plot twist with Sha having started out a man who became a woman, and someone who was so unhappy within themselves that she had to wipe her past away entirely so incredibly powerful. When she says at the end "I think I must have been a very unhappy person back then", it's just hnnnnng.
I'll agree the actual murder mystery part is fairly straight forward but it's really the ideas that Spurrier explores with it, and the way in which he reveals it that's just obliterating. Tapping back into the ideas Spurrier looks at with Six Gun too; the need for closure for things to have meaning, & for that something to mean that it's over but there was good and happiness there no matter how it ended, taps right into how The Spire resolves itself.
In the same breath as Sha reaching that zenith and understanding of her life now compared to the life before and accepting both,there's that implication that she might start the cycle anew.
It's far more bittersweet as that last page of Six Gun but it's that same idea from another angle. The other characters have to face that final curtain too for all their actions and inactions, good and bad, and it's just captivating stuff.

Over the course of writing that, I think I realised for me, Six Gun & The Spire are much more intertwined than I had thought about it so far. It becomes much less of a question of what's better and more that they are parts of a whole, the full notion of what Spurrier thinks about this stuff, but with different lights shone through it and from different sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom