• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| May 2017 - Every Empire Falls

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of quick questions if anyone can please help, asked on a post a few pages back but think they got lost through a new page and Button talk kicking off,

Is Ultimates 2 (Ewing) as good as series 1 so far, really enjoyed first series but seem to remember a few comments on here about second series not being as good?

Also whats the best Supergirl series at the moment? The ongoing or the mini series? My gf wants to start reading Supergirl from pretty much no knowledge of the character at all so was just wondering which of the two to get for her

The designs they previewed for these at the announcement were sublime.

Yeah, it looks quite good. I love how they're taking each of the Divinity titles and doing something wildly different with it. The first is more introducing him and how the Valiant universe reacts. The second is a battle of gods. The third is alternate universe shenanigans. Eternity is going to be something in line with New Gods though I'm not 100% on the direction yet.

Aizo

Banned
Emphasis mine.

Brothers knew.

Edit: just noticed Nick Spencer replied to David B's post

His reply:

PMR4TZp.jpg
What is Spencer so hated for besides his twitter?

TheFlow

Banned
A couple of quick questions if anyone can please help, asked on a post a few pages back but think they got lost through a new page and Button talk kicking off,

Is Ultimates 2 (Ewing) as good as series 1 so far, really enjoyed first series but seem to remember a few comments on here about second series not being as good?

Also whats the best Supergirl series at the moment? The ongoing or the mini series? My gf wants to start reading Supergirl from pretty much no knowledge of the character at all so was just wondering which of the two to get for her
The art is weaker but writing is still on point. They were basically giving away #1 not to long ago.

The new supergirl rebirth series picks up from a previous run so you will be kinda lost. I don't recommend it for people new to her. Sorry

I don't read either dude but as far as I can tell ultimates is still great but with some spottier art. Supergirl, I think folks like both and both are accessible but particularly the mini getting a big thumbs up currently.

Yeah, it looks quite good. I love how they're taking each of the Divinity titles and doing something wildly different with it. The first is more introducing him and how the Valiant universe reacts. The second is a battle of gods. The third is alternate universe shenanigans. Eternity is going to be something in line with New Gods though I'm not 100% on the direction yet.

Yea, that's one I'll definitely be picking up, looks really fun and exciting and kind of left field for the universe, which is cool

TheFlow

Banned
Go for the mini. That first super girl rebirth arc had me like :/.

Get her into superman instead. That family dynamic will melt her heart. Plus she can go straight into super sons from it. Then teen Titans. Soon she will be a comic geek like us

Ok, I know I defend it last week, but Lazarus Contract is a trainwreck.
They have Dick doing some shady, Batman type moves... without any of the actual intelligence or realism attached to it. "oh guys I made a deal with Deathstroke. wait, what do you mean he kidnapped the Wallys." I have no idea where they pulled this out of their asses.

Also, Nightwing #21 was hard to finish.
I know it's a different writer, but he basically boiled the two characters down into stereotypes and dumbed them down. A lot of the things they did didn't make sense, like actually confronting the guy who could stop time instead of disarming him with stealth so he couldn't react? I feel like this is superheroing 101 for someone with superspeed and another one trained by Batman.

#23 is a standalone story? Maybe I'll pick it up.

Indeed it is.

smisk

Is Nick Fury any good or do I wait til the trade which will likely be the only thing we get from it?

Only read the first issue but the art/coloring is insane. Really psychadelic and 70's looking. Story is nothing special but I'm gonna pick up #2 for the art alone.

Sanjuro

To be fair unless your a really big fan of one of the included artists I wouldn't bother with All Star, the stories have really not been so great and it doesn't really have much to do with ongoing continiuty covered in the other books.

Like others have said, go for TEC or the main series.

I read the first issue way back. I've been stop and go with comics and had no idea who the new Yellow Batfamily guy was (Batman INC?).

Go for the mini. That first super girl rebirth arc had me like :/.

Get her into superman instead. That family dynamic will melt her heart. Plus she can go straight into super sons from it. Then teen Titans. Soon she will be a comic geek like us

Thanks for the help Flow and Donnie.

I'll stick with Ultimates then, I really enjoyed the story and cosmic weirdness, sad to hear the arts not as strong but Marvel gonna Marvel and change artist I guess. Interesting to see the guy who did the guest issues on the first series is now drawing the Black Bolt series so I'll have to keep an eye on that for a trade later.

Sounds like the mini is the best way to go for Supergirl. From comments in the past people seemed like to be enjoying it more. Just didn't know if Rebirth would make more sense for a new reader.

I wish I could get her into more stuff, but really difficult to get her to read anything really. I tried her on Fables and Y the last man but she still hasnt made it through first trades of either. Only thing she does read is Lumberjanes issues monthly, I'm trying to get her onto Giant Days but its just getting her to actually sit down and read some of it ha.

TheFlow

Banned

I'll stick with Ultimates then, I really enjoyed the story and cosmic weirdness, sad to hear the arts not as strong but Marvel gonna Marvel and change artist I guess. Interesting to see the guy who did the guest issues on the first series is now drawing the Black Bolt series so I'll have to keep an eye on that for a trade later.

Sounds like the mini is the best way to go for Supergirl. From comments in the past people seemed like to be enjoying it more. Just didn't know if Rebirth would make more sense for a new reader.

I wish I could get her into more stuff, but really difficult to get her to read anything really. I tried her on Fables and Y the last man but she still hasnt made it through first trades of either. Only thing she does read is Lumberjanes issues monthly, I'm trying to get her onto Giant Days but its just getting her to actually sit down and read some of it ha.
All good.

Slam and paper girls are also great series featuring a female cast

I'll stress I was only really piping in because no-one had responded before. If Flow has read the books, his opinion is probably going to be more accurate than mine! I know the feeling, on getting the other half in though, it can be tough. Fables was the original book I hooked her on, and she really loved Azzarello's WW run but honestly she doesn't fuss with comics much, it didn't go much further. She likes Dick Grayson but hates almost every book I try her on with him in it lol, she only liked the black mirror.

I read the first issue way back. I've been stop and go with comics and had no idea who the new Yellow Batfamily guy was (Batman INC?).

I'm guessing by new yellow batfamily guy you mean Duke? There are Duke story back ups in all issues but from the ones I read ( I read the first 7 issues or and gave up after that) but there only a couple of pages each and don't really forward story along that much.

If you want more Duke, I know he was introduced in snyders new 52 run and then his story carried on in the we are robin series (though I haven't read that myself)

Ok, I know I defend it last week, but Lazarus Contract is a trainwreck.
They have Dick doing some shady, Batman type moves... without any of the actual intelligence or realism attached to it. "oh guys I made a deal with Deathstroke. wait, what do you mean he kidnapped the Wallys." I have no idea where they pulled this out of their asses.

I took that stuff as Memory/Rebirth fuckery.
Same way Slade suddenly remembers the events. I took it as Dick is suddenly having memory flashes and he's not really sure how to take it.

I actually liked this issue more than the first other than the stuff near the end with the time force stuff.

I'm guessing by new yellow batfamily guy you mean Duke? There are Duke story back ups in all issues but from the ones I read ( I read the first 7 issues or and gave up after that) but there only a couple of pages each and don't really forward story along that much.

If you want more Duke, I know he was introduced in snyders new 52 run and then his story carried on in the we are robin series (though I haven't read that myself)

I always feel like I've missed something with Duke. I've read all of Snyder's run but I skipped the Eternal books and we are robin, and I feel like I have almost no grasp on who he is haha. I always guess he's in those more?

I'll stress I was only really piping in because no-one had responded before. If Flow has read the books, his opinion is probably going to be more accurate than mine! I know the feeling, on getting the other half in though, it can be tough. Fables was the original book I hooked her on, and she really loved Azzarello's WW run but honestly she doesn't fuss with comics much, it didn't go much further. She likes Dick Grayson but hates almost every book I try her on with him in it lol, she only liked the black mirror.

Yeah I don't think its even finding stuff she likes, I know I've got series she'd enjoy, its her actually sitting down and reading, she's just not much of a reader I guess. Also she prefers single issues rather than trades as I think she finds them more readable in the short issue format.

I've given her the Bad Machinery FCBD issue after I read it in the hope she'll get into John Allison and I can giver her a Giant Days trade to try ha

I always feel like I've missed something with Duke. I've read all of Snyder's run but I skipped the Eternal books and we are robin, and I feel like I have almost no grasp on who he is haha. I always guess he's in those more?

Yeah I feel the same, I remember him from being a bit part in some of the new 52 batman stories (zero year, endgame, mr bloom) but didn't feel like you get to know him that much in those. Plus same as you I haven't read we are robin or really felt like you found out much about him in the all star back ups.

Yeah I feel the same, I remember him from being a bit part in some of the new 52 batman stories (zero year, endgame, mr bloom) but didn't feel like you get to know him that much in those. Plus same as you I haven't read we are robin or really felt like you found out much about him in the all star back ups.

Right. I mean he's vaguely there and there's kind of a thing about his parents but it all feels kind of detached and a story for elsewhere all the time, which is fine but not for so long. If he's in the book, make him a proper part of the book. I've yet to read ASB though, got that sitting up. It reminds me of Harper. I mean i bought the whole run and it felt like she was teased but it just never came through. Again, I assume that got told elsewhere.

Sanjuro

I've seen him in a few other issues, but never got the sense he was a main character or they took the time to significantly flesh him out. It just made following along more confusing.

I'm tapped out of Marvel events since I gave up on Civil War II part way through, but the mainstream/outside of fandom coverage of Secret Empire is really interesting.

Vox: Marvel’s Secret Empire just changed the game with a shocker of an issue

Slate: Captain America’s Now a Fascist in the Comics. Here’s Why the Story’s a Lot More Complex Than It Seems.

Nick's online antics have cooled me on his books (and burning out on Spencer's hamster wheel plotting on Morning Glories), but feel like I'll check out Secret Empire after it's all done.

Mindwipe

Amazon Prime Reading launched today in the UK - there's a bunch of Marvel volume 1s and a few bits from other publishers on there for nothing if you already have Prime.

I'm tapped out of Marvel events since I gave up on Civil War II part way through, but the mainstream/outside of fandom coverage of Secret Empire is really interesting.

Vox: Marvel’s Secret Empire just changed the game with a shocker of an issue

Slate: Captain America’s Now a Fascist in the Comics. Here’s Why the Story’s a Lot More Complex Than It Seems.

Nick's online antics have cooled me on his books (and burning out on Spencer's hamster wheel plotting on Morning Glories), but feel like I'll check out Secret Empire after it's all done.
That Vox article reads like a piece written by Marvel's PR team. 'Best issue in the series yet! (part 3 of a 11 part series)'

If SE reads anything like the rest of his fascist Cap series, get ready to read a lot of middling comics with *shocking turns of events* that have no weight behind them because the writer doesn't understand the impact of actions.

Skimming the Slate article, it seems like the writer thinks Sam Wilson Cap is good enough to make the other series palatable. I'm sure a comic in which Sam Wilson fights SJWs makes up for the bargain bin writing on Steve Rogers Cap but I haven't read it.

I really like the mini so far. Its more like something I want I guess.

You can read the regular series without knowing anything. They've pretty much ignored the New52 comics. Theres a Batgirl annual with a story with Kara in it I liked too.

Sandfox

Marvel is asking via twitter which characters and titles people want to see next in Ressurxion and people are all over the place.

dh4niel

Just bought a couple of massive X-Men omnibus hardcovers for more than I'd like to admit. I used to be all digital but I miss reading from trades.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom