• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| May 2017 - Every Empire Falls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megatron

Been loading up on the rebirth trades thanks to Barnes and noble's buy 2 get 1 free sale. It's interesting that it works with some pre orders but not all. The really soon ones like Supergirl and Green Lantern vol 2 qualify. Nightwing volume 2 comes out on June 20th and doesn't qualify, but Teen Titans comes out the same day and does. Any other pre orders people have noticed that qualify?

TheFlow

Banned
Been loading up on the rebirth trades thanks to Barnes and noble's buy 2 get 1 free sale. It's interesting that it works with some pre orders but not all. The really soon ones like Supergirl and Green Lantern vol 2 qualify. Nightwing volume 2 comes out on June 20th and doesn't qualify, but Teen Titans comes out the same day and does. Any other pre orders people have noticed that qualify?

that is weird.

and yea I am going to read the the Button before the event in November. I don't read the Flash.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Dat feel when you finish your backlog and now feel empty.

Apropos of nothing but what's with Scott Snyder starting so many Bat issue like this, "my father used to talk to me about this random thing that has never been brought up in another Batbooks but I will now tell you in detail, and this thing will thematically circle around with whatever this issue is about. Gotham's lore is so rich and I just made it richer!".

ElNarez

Banned
Dat feel when you finish your backlog and now feel empty.

Apropos of nothing but what's with Scott Snyder starting so many Bat issue like this, "my father used to talk to me about this random thing that has never been brought up in another Batbooks but I will now tell you in detail, and this thing will thematically circle around with whatever this issue is about. Gotham's lore is so rich and I just made it richer!".

it's Snyder's thing, and I'm gonna pull a David Brothers piece from 2011 to show that fact

error4041

Rocket #1 was pretty good. the Space/heist tone the book has is great. it quickly sets itself apart from Rosenberg's Rocket Raccoon series. a very strong beginning for a book that will
sadly only last 'till Christmas.

Royals #3: I think Maximus and Black Bolt's parents could hold their own in a shitty parent's contest. also, if Ewing keeps this up, Maximus may end up being one of my favorite Marvel characters by the end of the series, he managed to
hijack a space mission manned by the almost the entire Royal family when he should be stuck in some magic prison in outer space

Secret Empire #2 While it was a fun read, I think I'm going to drop the event until the Hardcover is cheap, this seems to be something that would be much better if it could be read all at once.

What is it with Swamp Thing and Batman writers. Is there any Swamp Thing writer that hasn't worked on Batman?

I suppose Soule didn't do much of anything with Batman? But he jumped ship before he could have. Not to take away from your point btw, that one just came to mind quick is all.

Speaking of greats who worked on bats and swampy

Swamp_Thing_0022.jpg

I don't' recall him doing that in years.

I actually like Snyder a ton, more than some of the folks in the thread, but it's hard to argue against him having quite a specific narrative style & structure. Even if he's learned to come at it from different angles than the parent figure, he loves the payoff of a personal anecdote about a memory or a fact that comes around later and pays off the intended theme and/or character beat.

I can't help but crack up when I see them now because I know how much it winds some peeps up haha

ElNarez

Banned
Really, again, it's not really bad. Everyone has trademarks, it's a style thing more than anything else. Snyder has the dad anecdote thing, Hickman has graphs, and Fraction has this thing, y'know? the one where characters, like, cut themselves off -- they have asides -- and there's a caption about how stupid they're being at the moment.

The last issue of The Button was okay, to be honest not a great deal seemed to happen in it again. Most of it was just a repeat of earlier events from a different viewpoint, or given away from the cover.

I can understand why people think it should have only been a couple of issues rather than 4, but in my opinion its just the pacing was wrong. The events they squashed into issue 3 of
being back in Flashpoint, Bruce meeting his father again, his father telling him to rethink his life were for me the crux of the story and thats what should have covered most of the issues. Instead we got the first of issue of good themes/setup but not much happening, second issue was just Bruce/Barry going into the timestream with some cool easter eggs in the background, third issue everything squashed in and fourth issue not much except for the rushed return of Jay and reverse flash dying again. Which kind of loses impact when you have a big advert page for the next Flash arc starring................Reverse Flash.....wait what? ha

On another note I'm guessing either Jay was taken prisoner as well as the others or he needs a different person to pull him back from the speed force rather than Barry, other JSA members maybe?

skybald

The Flash Vol 2 can be preordered. Put in my order two days ago 😊

Also, there is a 15% off code. Use 'MoreIsMore'

B&N helping me buy my first nonFlintstones DC!

Secret Empire 2

I wasn't really feeling this issue too much. I think I'm not interested too much in the what if aspect when the heroes are concerned. This honestly just feels a lot like the Secret Wars Civil War series. I liked the parts of the last issue of seeing what Cap was doing with the regular society and seeing the rebels aspect of it. Not sure I care about the big overall downfall of it. Think I'll stick with one more issue and see how I feel.

Ninjak

Good set up, but seems a little back to basics after the last couple arcs.

Royal City 3

After not really liking the second issue as it focused on mostly one family member with not a lot really happening, I like this issue a lot more. This book works a lot better as it jumps around and shows the different ways this family is all hurting.

The last issue of The Button was okay, to be honest not a great deal seemed to happen in it again. Most of it was just a repeat of earlier events from a different viewpoint, or given away from the cover.

I can understand why people think it should have only been a couple of issues rather than 4, but in my opinion its just the pacing was wrong. The events they squashed into issue 3 of
being back in Flashpoint, Bruce meeting his father again, his father telling him to rethink his life were for me the crux of the story and thats what should have covered most of the issues. Instead we got the first of issue of good themes/setup but not much happening, second issue was just Bruce/Barry going into the timestream with some cool easter eggs in the background, third issue everything squashed in and fourth issue not much except for the rushed return of Jay and reverse flash dying again. Which kind of loses impact when you have a big advert page for the next Flash arc starring................Reverse Flash.....wait what? ha

On another note I'm guessing either Jay was taken prisoner as well as the others or he needs a different person to pull him back from the speed force rather than Barry, other JSA members maybe?

I think most would say it had the same issues, I just think it's different views on how to handle it. I feel like if this was actually written by Johns and was more of a Rebirth #2 it would have been an amazing over sized single issue. Only thing that wouldn't have worked well is that first issue, other than that the next three issues would have been a nice single issue by Johns with how he does that minimal style of story telling(minimal might not be the best word...direct?).

I think most would say it had the same issues, I just think it's different views on how to handle it. I feel like if this was actually written by Johns and was more of a Rebirth #2 it would have been an amazing over sized single issue. Only thing that wouldn't have worked well is that first issue, other than that the next three issues would have been a nice single issue by Johns with how he does that minimal style of story telling(minimal might not be the best word...direct?).

Yeah I can see what you mean. I think it could have definitely been done that way. I think maybe I just wish they would have taken some of the parts they did with the minimal/direct storytelling and fleshed them out a bit. I would have loved the more on what happened in
the flashpoint world in the time manhattan was keeping it alive and more interaction betwen Thomas and Bruce to really make you feel the pay off moment at the end for Thomas.

If they kept the story as it was then the best option would have either been an oversized issue or a 2 part story. If they would have fleshed out the important parts of the story and changed the pacing a bit I think it would have worked a lot better as a 4 part story. Like you say different options.

Yeah I can see what you mean. I think it could have definitely been done that way. I think maybe I just wish they would have taken some of the parts they did with the minimal/direct storytelling and fleshed them out a bit. I would have loved the more on what happened in
the flashpoint world in the time manhattan was keeping it alive and more interaction betwen Thomas and Bruce to really make you feel the pay off moment at the end for Thomas.

If they kept the story as it was then the best option would have either been an oversized issue or a 2 part story. If they would have fleshed out the important parts of the story and changed the pacing a bit I think it would have worked a lot better as a 4 part story. Like you say different options.

I have a theory
that it wasn't actually the Flashpoint world. If it could be "kept alive" why couldn't it just be made up and fabricated? What's with the timing of it being just as Thomas is getting attacked? Almost seems like it was there on purpose and the attack was so they couldn't spend too much time in there, and it just happens to start falling apart at that exact time? I feel like it might have been just made and changed a bit just to deliver that message to Bats. The timing of everything and the fact that Thomas was basically dead or dying at the end of Flashpoint makes me think it's not just Flashpoint being kept alive.

Jumped back into my Hellboy backlog. Got halfway through The Crooked Man before I had to put it down so I could try to sleep without nightmares.
That horse reveal...
.The art is such a perfect fit. And dare I say it might actually have worked better with this story than Mignola's style may have.

I haven't read any of Corben's work before. What else has he worked on?

Jumped back into my Hellboy backlog. Got halfway through The Crooked Man before I had to put it down so I could try to sleep without nightmares.
That horse reveal...
.The art is such a perfect fit. And dare I say it might actually have worked better with this story than Mignola's style may have.

I haven't read any of Corben's work before. What else has he worked on?

Corben is amazing, he has a bunch of stuff out through Dark Horse, lots of black and white adaptations of poe and lovecraft stuff. I need to pick some up of it myself. The Crooked Man is super creepy lol has the guy himself shown up yet? Jeez. Imo Corben and Fegredo rival Mignola himself on HB. Lots of other good takes but those guys are on equal footing in their own ways.

Corben is amazing, he has a bunch of stuff out through Dark Horse, lots of black and white adaptations of poe and lovecraft stuff. I need to pick some up of it myself. The Crooked Man is super creepy lol has the guy himself shown up yet? Jeez. Imo Corben and Fegredo rival Mignola himself on HB. Lots of other good takes but those guys are on equal footing in their own ways.

Yeah, I had to stop reading after the second time he showed up...

I will read the rest today evening when it is light out.

Yeah, I had to stop reading after the second time he showed up...

I will read the rest today evening when it is light out.

Thats awesome lol I don't think I've ever reacted that way! He draws up some really creepy stuff in the Mexico stories too, although nothing quite rivals the crooked man.

Malyse

Only picked up Luke Cage and Royals

Good start to Cage, I wanted this Cage since PM/IF, weird that Jessica will be out of the picture

Royals, man, Ewing went deep like always.

Is Nick Fury any good or do I wait til the trade which will likely be the only thing we get from it?

I dropped it because I didn't like it, but if you like one issue James Bond hot takes then I can see an appeal.

Secret Empire 2

I wasn't really feeling this issue too much. I think I'm not interested too much in the what if aspect when the heroes are concerned. This honestly just feels a lot like the Secret Wars Civil War series. I liked the parts of the last issue of seeing what Cap was doing with the regular society and seeing the rebels aspect of it. Not sure I care about the big overall downfall of it. Think I'll stick with one more issue and see how I feel.

Ninjak

Good set up, but seems a little back to basics after the last couple arcs.

Royal City 3

After not really liking the second issue as it focused on mostly one family member with not a lot really happening, I like this issue a lot more. This book works a lot better as it jumps around and shows the different ways this family is all hurting.

Yeah, the Ninjak was supposed to be a one-shot and only sorta setting up Ninja-k. It was also by a new writer. I think he did a good job.

Yeah, the Ninjak was supposed to be a one-shot and only sorta setting up Ninja-k. It was also by a new writer. I think he did a good job.

Yeah, I thought it was perfectly fine. Is the new writer on it going forward or what's going on with it? I don't really pay attention to Valiant news and they usually confuse me with all the minis and changes they do.

Which Batman series should I be catching up on? All-Star or mainline?

Mainline, but it's been pretty divisive itself.

Aizo

Banned
I've gotten this thick manga magazine every month for like a year and a half. I haven't finished the first one even. I'll never catch up. What am I doing?

Received this months' in the mail tonight.

Yeah, I thought it was perfectly fine. Is the new writer on it going forward or what's going on with it? I don't really pay attention to Valiant news and they usually confuse me with all the minis and changes they do.

Mainline, but it's been pretty divisive itself.

Ninjak ended with this issue, but his story will continue in Rapture (out next week), then Ninja-K in the fall.

Ninjak ended with this issue, but his story will continue in Rapture (out next week), then Ninja-K in the fall.

Ugh...biggest annoyance with Valiant is the constant title changes and the ongoing Mini's. I think I said it before, but I ended up completely losing track of Bloodshot and Divinity due to them changing to a different title and I just didn't realize it because I don't usually pay attention to their news and stuff.

I know It's my own fault not paying attention, but it's still a pointless change that only confuses.

Which Batman series should I be catching up on? All-Star or mainline?

To be fair unless your a really big fan of one of the included artists I wouldn't bother with All Star, the stories have really not been so great and it doesn't really have much to do with ongoing continiuty covered in the other books.

Like others have said, go for TEC or the main series.

It’s like Garth Ennis and Ireland or (expletive)(facial feature), Brian K Vaughan and stupid trivia, Chris Claremont and BDSM, Brian Bendis and his style of dialogue, Greg Rucka and characters like Sasha Bordeaux/Rene Montoya/Tara Chace/Dex Parios/what’s her name, the lady cop from Adventures of Superman/Elektra/maybe the newlywed widow from Punisher I dunno/the marshal from Wolverine/etc, Mark Millar and really specific numbers and/or really out of place diminutives, Frank Miller and hardboiled/Dirty Harry-style heroes, Warren Ellis and his hard-drinking British dude or lady who takes no guff off anyone and comes up with clever insults while moblogging all the way up and down the Web 2.0, Alan Moore and rape, Nick Spencer and writing terrible comics

Emphasis mine.

Brothers knew.

Edit: just noticed Nick Spencer replied to David B's post

His reply:

PMR4TZp.jpg

Ugh...biggest annoyance with Valiant is the constant title changes and the ongoing Mini's. I think I said it before, but I ended up completely losing track of Bloodshot and Divinity due to them changing to a different title and I just didn't realize it because I don't usually pay attention to their news and stuff.

I know It's my own fault not paying attention, but it's still a pointless change that only confuses.

It's not just you. If I stop paying attention, I'm liable to get lost too. I very often miss when things are planned as miniseries and then I'm shocked when it ends. Getting on their twitter feed helps a lot, as you know about books way ahead of time. Conversely, you can just ask me in the future lol

The reason they do it like this is so new readers can jump into the events by just picking up the miniseries. So, in Ninjak's case, it's a crossover with Shadowman. As a continuing reader, you jump into Rapture with full context, but new readers can jump into it just as well and they don't have to read 27 issues of Ninjak. So, it kind of makes sense from that angle, but it leads to confusion if you're not up to the minute on what's going on, so I sympathize.

For Bloodshot Reborn, that led to Bloodshot USA, Bloodshot Reborn #0, and then Bloodshot Salvation in the fall.

For Divinity, it just went Divinity II then Divinity III + one-shots. That one is pretty straightforward.

I have a theory
that it wasn't actually the Flashpoint world. If it could be "kept alive" why couldn't it just be made up and fabricated? What's with the timing of it being just as Thomas is getting attacked? Almost seems like it was there on purpose and the attack was so they couldn't spend too much time in there, and it just happens to start falling apart at that exact time? I feel like it might have been just made and changed a bit just to deliver that message to Bats. The timing of everything and the fact that Thomas was basically dead or dying at the end of Flashpoint makes me think it's not just Flashpoint being kept alive.

Yeah I can definitely see that happening.
It makes sense and would make that one scene between Bruce and Thomas the most important thing to take from the cross over. Also would make sense for someone to try and take Batman of the board, especially when hes investigating the forementioned Button and the mystery that goes with it.

It's not just you. If I stop paying attention, I'm liable to get lost too. I very often miss when things are planned as miniseries and then I'm shocked when it ends. Getting on their twitter feed helps a lot, as you know about books way ahead of time. Conversely, you can just ask me in the future lol

The reason they do it like this is so new readers can jump into the events by just picking up the miniseries. So, in Ninjak's case, it's a crossover with Shadowman. As a continuing reader, you jump into Rapture with full context, but new readers can jump into it just as well and they don't have to read 27 issues of Ninjak. So, it kind of makes sense from that angle, but it leads to confusion if you're not up to the minute on what's going on, so I sympathize.

For Bloodshot Reborn, that led to Bloodshot USA, Bloodshot Reborn #0, and then Bloodshot Salvation in the fall.

For Divinity, it just went Divinity II then Divinity III + one-shots. That one is pretty straightforward.

With Bloodshot Reborn, I think I missed one of the last issues and then I was confused and didn't know Bloodshot USA was followup to it. Then with Divinity didn't it run into Stalin Verse? I think I just didn't realize that and thought the Stalin thing was its own thing and just skipped it as I thought it was a what if and not a direct follow up to Divinity.

With Bloodshot Reborn, I think I missed one of the last issues and then I was confused and didn't know Bloodshot USA was followup to it. Then with Divinity didn't it run into Stalin Verse? I think I just didn't realize that and thought the Stalin thing was its own thing and just skipped it as I thought it was a what if and not a direct follow up to Divinity.

Oh, for Bloodshot Reborn, yeah I think you would've gotten a "Continued next month in Bloodshot USA" at the end, maybe that's why you missed it.

The Stalinverse subtitle was added because of the draw in the name. Divinity III is indeed a continuation, and it is really very very good. It was also treated as a pseudo-event, because it also included a number of Valiant heroes in the story along with 4 one-shot tie-ins for a handful of the characters.

Also, Eternity is going to be a sequel to Divinity III and is going to be somewhat inspired by Jack Kirby's New Gods.

That Batman #23 ending was really powerful.

I feel like I'm the only one I've seen that thinks Batman comes off stupid in this issue.
Gordon says on the first couple pages that the guy was killed by a pointless two shots to the head, then later finds the guy and is like "Oh yeah, this is his calling card. I've been looking for him..." Then he's blinded by empathy and takes Swamp Thing to the killer and just stands by and screams as he kills the guy. Batman didn't have anything to do but act like a mother scolding their child while they ignore him? He just did nothing.

I feel like I'm the only one I've seen that thinks Batman comes off stupid in this issue.
Gordon says on the first couple pages that the guy was killed by a pointless two shots to the head, then later finds the guy and is like "Oh yeah, this is his calling card. I've been looking for him..." Then he's blinded by empathy and takes Swamp Thing to the killer and just stands by and screams as he kills the guy. Batman didn't have anything to do but act like a mother scolding their child while they ignore him? He just did nothing.

I think this was one of these rare moments where
Bruce was thrown into shock, because he was following Alec's lead, hoping that this would mean something to him and that he would be able to get more wisdom from him. When Alec started killing the dude, Bruce's worldview was shaken up and he didn't know how to react; but I also don't think attacking the thing that can do the same to you would have been a smart idea. lol As for the detective thing, I'm sure he had his suspicions before examining the crime scene or he had probably figured that much out, but it's probably still a good idea to investigate those things. It was also implied the killer hadn't been active for some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom