• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2015. The much-anticipated sequel to October's OT.

Big Godzilla Stan here, even liked the movie last year. You're selling me so hard.
The climax starts by evoking scenes from certain Godzilla movies, then takes it in a totally unexpected direction, then takes it further and further until you're leaping from your chair in disbelief and fisting the air because it's impossible but it's Godzilla so of course it's happening.

VanWinkle

Just ordered Secret Six vol. 2 and Justice League N52 vol. 2, as well as a couple more books for my wife.

I don't know why it's taken my so insanely long to buy the second JL volume. But hopefully this will kickstart me to buy the rest.

Light_Speed.gif
W0aCKav.gif

Anyone else buy Huck? I'mma read it a bit later.

Yeah, going to read it tomorrow
Samsies
Just ordered Secret Six vol. 2 and Justice League N52 vol. 2, as well as a couple more books for my wife.

I don't know why it's taken my so insanely long to buy the second JL volume. But hopefully this will kickstart me to buy the rest.

Probably because JL is pretty mediocre early on.

The climax starts by evoking scenes from certain Godzilla movies, then takes it in a totally unexpected direction, then takes it further and further until you're leaping from your chair in disbelief and fisting the air because it's impossible but it's Godzilla so of course it's happening.
About to grab every single issue next time I go to the store

VanWinkle

Probably because JL is pretty mediocre early on.

I didn't love volume one, but it was pretty good. Can't be too exciting when they spend the whole volume as an origin. I know it gets great, though, so I'm likely to buy at a faster rate once I read the second volume.

Edit: WOW, just looked at the preview pages for Batman Europa #1, and dat art. Jim Lee mixing it up with some watercolor-type coloring. Looks fantastic.

Tomita

Well...all I bought today was Huck because Captain America was sold out. ):

The art's so great. I loved Huck's expressions so much in it. That ending tho...
I knew it was going to happen but I wasn't expecting it in issue one.

Also I was so fucking tired when I got to the shop that I grabbed both variants and thought they were issue one and two. Only caught the mistake when the shop owner was like "lol you're buying both??" Also the dick still needs to order Black Canary 1 and 2 for me. I feel bad nagging him though. ):

I didn't love volume one, but it was pretty good. Can't be too exciting when they spend the whole volume as an origin. I know it gets great, though, so I'm likely to buy at a faster rate once I read the second volume.

Origins had solid action, but everyone was unlikable and Darkseid is the grandest jobber ever. Also, the Supes/Bats bromance hits early.

The Villain's Journey is cool in concept, but again, everyone's an unlikable douchebag.

Throne of Atlantis, which is a good arc, but again, all unlikable (save for Aquaman). Plus there's a random Cheetah arc in there, too.

The Grid is garbage and ties into Trinity War.

I have yet to read beyond that, though with Darkseid War getting praised, perhaps it's time to pick it back up again.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Im reading Spider-Verse and I'm confused, it all starts when Superior Spiderman is missing for 24hours in a older Superior issue, so how does that cross over with current Amazing and whatnot?

Whut? :eek:

Owzers

Im reading Spider-Verse and I'm confused, it all starts when Superior Spiderman is missing for 24hours in a older Superior issue, so how does that cross over with current Amazing and whatnot?

Whut? :eek:

I think Superior guy ended up in the future....and then it's all just universe jumping from there. Picture two pizzas, all topped with different spider-men, colliding.

PsychBat!

Banned
rIftGfL.png

Jughead narrowly beat out Vader Down but if you ask me, this week was sooooo dull in comparison to last week's batch (except this week's Top 5). New Avengers took a dive in quality but I'll stick to it for a couple of issues. Black Knight was better than Hercules but the dialogue gets a little repetitive. Extraordinary X-Men #2 is better than #1 but it felt like a short issue. Ant-Man and Spider-Woman were good but for Ant-Man... I feel like Nick Spencer just likes putting Ant-Man down no matter what, it's not what I call having a good time. As for Spider-Woman, the mystery to who the father is probably gonna drag on for a while to keep the plot moving.

Is it me, or are the team books really lackluster so far? I mean, I know they're just starting out but I hope they pick up really soon.

The reason I compared Black Knight and Hercules was because they both have mythological origins.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
You just have to think four-dimensional. Its not that hard.

How does Otto not remember this happening when he goes back to his book then, aparently this happens sometime between issue 19 and 20!

rIftGfL.png

Jughead narrowly beat out Vader Down but if you ask me, this week was sooooo dull in comparison to last week's batch (except this week's Top 5). New Avengers took a dive in quality but I'll stick to it for a couple of issues. Black Knight was better than Hercules but the dialogue gets a little repetitive. Extraordinary X-Men #2 is better than #1 but it felt like a short issue. Ant-Man and Spider-Woman were good but for Ant-Man... I feel like Nick Spencer just likes putting Ant-Man down no matter what, it's not what I call having a good time. As for Spider-Woman, the mystery to who the father is probably gonna drag on for a while to keep the plot moving.

Is it me, or are the team books really lackluster so far? I mean, I know they're just starting out but I hope they pick up really soon.

The reason I compared Black Knight and Hercules was because they both have mythological origins.

I agree with giving Thor a high ranking. After reading the angsty, all-the-bad-things Extrordinary X-Men, I needed cheering up. So I read the comic about the dying cancer patient. And it totally did cheer me up! I LOVE Jane Thor. As someone relatively unacquainted with Thor lore, I enjoyed following Jane around and meeting all the players. Lots going on.

I also read more Rachel Rising and now I'm only three issues behind! I wasn't sure how the book would fare after the initial, sprawling 25 issue arc, but I love it just as much, if not more, since that arc ended.

Had so much fun reading comics today and I think tomorrow will be even better. Tomorrow is the Godddamned #1, Slash and Burn #1, and most importantly, Clean Room #2!

Tizoc

So...
Comic book of the year....
my short list currently consists offfffffffffff

Transformers MTMTE
Megaman
Daredevil
Darth Vader
Star Wars
Klaus

Off the top of my head.

Tizoc

Gang, I'm not even kidding when I say Godzilla in Hell #5 has one of the most jaw-droppingly insane sequences ever printed in comics. Heads should be exploding from all this f*ck.

Looking forward to it :D

Also why a lizza gotta wait so long for Kaijumax Vol. 2? This is some redking bs...

Hey guys, I'm getting back into regularly reading comics after a few years of only picking up the occasional trade. Making my way through some backlog and just have a few questions hopefully someone here can answer.

Do I need to read anything bridging Hickman's FF run with all his Avengers stuff?

Is Spider-verse worth bothering with? About to start reading Superior Spiderman and kinda hoping it isn't going to end on a big cliffhanger for Spider-verse.

Who's this new Ms.Marvel? heard nothing about the quality of the book, just people happy with a minority hero.

Anything particularly noteworthy in the Nu52? JL, GL and Flash are pretty much all I'm going to be picking up so far but I'm open to try anything that has a pretty strong consensus about it. Same for ANAD Marvel books although it's probably too early with a lot of them.

Also a finally request thats a bit random. Any idea where I can get my hands on mark Waid's mid 90s run on Flash? Trades are difficult to find and my LCS can#t order new ones because they're all out of prints.

Thanks guys.

Edit: WOW, just looked at the preview pages for Batman Europa #1, and dat art. Jim Lee mixing it up with some watercolor-type coloring. Looks fantastic.

JL picks up with Throne of Atlantis onwards, some people say Forever Evil onward.

Regardless you should pick Shazam vol. 1, they were the backup stories going on in justice league and he becomes part of the team pretty soon, in addition to being one of the best origin stories.

I know some people say that Lee ghost wrote for Johns during early JL, because he was handling a few other things at the time and they probably wanted their biggest writer's name on their launch book. I haven't seen any evidence that this is true, other than the writing quality gets way better after the first two volumes. Still, it was probably designed with a new audience in mind, and this is suppose to be all of the league members as rookies (basically why Hal is a dumbass, WW is introducing herself to the president, Superman is stand offish, etc).

Cade

wait it's 2015 are you guys still reading comics

Are the X-Files Season 10 comics actually good or is it just desperate 90s people reading them keeping them alive? I was gonna buy at least the lowest tier of the bundle but I wasn't sure if they were legit good (and I've yet to even finish seasons 8 and 9 of X-Files...)

Hey guys, I'm getting back into regularly reading comics after a few years of only picking up the occasional trade. Making my way through some backlog and just have a few questions hopefully someone here can answer.

Do I need to read anything bridging Hickman's FF run with all his Avengers stuff?

Is Spider-verse worth bothering with? About to start reading Superior Spiderman and kinda hoping it isn't going to end on a big cliffhanger for Spider-verse.

Who's this new Ms.Marvel? heard nothing about the quality of the book, just people happy with a minority hero.

Anything particularly noteworthy in the Nu52? JL, GL and Flash are pretty much all I'm going to be picking up so far but I'm open to try anything that has a pretty strong consensus about it. Same for ANAD Marvel books although it's probably too early with a lot of them.

Also a finally request thats a bit random. Any idea where I can get my hands on mark Waid's mid 90s run on Flash? Trades are difficult to find and my LCS can#t order new ones because they're all out of prints.

Thanks guys.

Welcome, friend!

I'll go one by one.

There's nothing necessary to read between the two Hickman runs.

Spider-Verse is a mixed bag. Read it if you're interested, or just the parts you're interested in. Superior reads well on its own and it doesn't directly lead into Spider-Verse, anyway (as I recall).

The new Ms Marvel series is actually quite good. The plot isn't always great, but fantastic art and character moments really elevate it. I highly recommend it.

In the Nu52, I always recommend people check out Batwoman. It's absolutely amazing for the first 24 issues. Like, mind-blowing. There are some other fantastic series too, like Batman, Lemire's Green Arrow (#17-39?), Omega Men, Grayson, Gotham Academy.. I'm sure someone else can chime in. GL is good, but you'll get the most out of it if you've read the rest of Johns' run pre-Nu52; current GL is trash. Flash is mediocre, and trash at the moment. JL is kind of boring to start, but the recent mini-event has been great from what I've heard.

For ANAD, there are tons of great books, but my highest recommendation is Vision. Such a strange and unsettling book. Mighty Thor, Amazing Spider-man, Invincible Iron Man, Cap Sam have all been very impressive. Picking up any of the #1's is a great starting point.

It looks like Waid's Flash stuff is on Comixology. If you're looking for print, it'll be really hard to find.

Laatly, not something you asked, but there are some pretty great creator-owned and independent publishers like Image, Valiant, and Dark Horse that also put out spectacular books. It's a little overwhelming with just the big two already, I know, but if you're looking to pick up a new and strange series, I highly recommend Wrath of the Eternal Warrior #1. It's about an established character in the Valiant universe, but it's such an exceptional read on its own.

kmfdmpig

Ms. Marvel is a fun book in the vein of early SpiderMan/Invincible with a teen focus.
With Nu52 I'd steer clear of Flash as it's boring and slow (the older Flash runs you talked about are much more interesting). Batman, B+R, Demon Knights, Starfire, Justice League 3000, Grayson, Aquaman, and Lemire's run on Green Arrow are ones I'd recommend. I haven't read Omega Men, but many on this forum like it.
Haven't checked out ANAD yet, but many seemed to like Vision + Dr. Strange (both of which I'm interested in as well).

Thanks guys.

Ms. Marvel is actually legit good. Definitely worth checking out.

Nu52, I would steer clear of GL and Flash. Flash's early run is very pretty, but only really has one well-written arc to its name. GL is solid (until Johns leaves it at which point it falls off a cliff), but there's a TON of pre-reading to do. DC wise, I would recommend:

-Batman
-Geoff Johns' Aquaman
-Grayson
-Batman & Robin
-Martian Manhunter
-Gotham Academy
-Action Comics (by Grant Morrison, Geoff Johns, and Greg Pak only. This is a book you should be checking the authorship of before you buy an issue/volume).
-Midnighter
-The Omega Men

To start with, at least.

I'll also take this opportunity to recommend a few good, free comics you can read online!
-Atomic Robo
-Gunnerkrigg Court
-Girl Genius (Art in the second arc is super shaky because of the coloring, but it improves after that)

Enjoy!

Thanks guys.
hello and welcome!

i dont remember anything that you need to read in between ff and avengers

off the top of my head Hickman's work goes
Secret Warriors
Ultimates
FF
SHIELD
Avengers

Spider-verse is pretty alright. its like a B or 7/10 event. if you havent read it I suggest reading Spider Island instead.

Ms Marvel is probably the most widely critically acclaimed book Marvel has had in ages. it gets a lot of love not just from yhe comics industry but the book industry. its the closest thing we have to a modern Spider-Man in spirit imo

for new 52 Snyder's run on Batman is considered to be excellent all around. i dont hear good things about Flash and GL tbh

im sure others will be able to hell you with DC more
wait it's 2015 are you guys still reading comics

Are the X-Files Season 10 comics actually good or is it just desperate 90s people reading them keeping them alive? I was gonna buy at least the lowest tier of the bundle but I wasn't sure if they were legit good (and I've yet to even finish seasons 8 and 9 of X-Files...)
x files comics

in 2015

;)

while im not familiar with Joe Harris work, he has a new image title and does tv work so hes not likely to be producing hack level writing.

matthew dow smith and michael walsh do a lot of art for the book and theyre both pretty solid artists.

and if course Jordie Bellaire does the colors. my personal rule is: if Bellaire is doing the colors its probably worth checking out. just look at what shes working on at any time. she picks great projects.

tim1138

I think i'd rather get the 3 TPBs for $30ish in this case.
'sides I don't care how big an omnibus is, I just want it for cheap :V

Speaking of which, GAF should I get this?
http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/DC/BATMAN-THE-GOLDEN-AGE-OMNIBUS-HC-VOL-01/JUL150308

And for anyone who has this Batman HC, how big is it? For comparison use Solo Hardcover

Are you interested in 75 year old stories about a Batman who used guns and killed lots of bad guys? If so, that's the book for you!

I would very strongly recommend grabbing a couple of issues from comixology and seeing how you like it, Golden Age comics are very different than what's being published now and are a bit of an acquired taste.

Tizoc

Are you interested in 75 year old stories about a Batman who used guns and killed lots of bad guys? If so, that's the book for you!

I would very strongly recommend grabbing a couple of issues from comixology and seeing how you like it, Golden Age comics are very different than what's being published now and are a bit of an acquired taste.

That's why I wanna get it!

Owzers

is anyone hyped for Spiderman and Deadpool by Kelly/McGuinness until he leaves? Still on the fence for pre-ordering vs waiting on MU. On a scale of Sixers to Warriors what is your level of enthusiasm?

Top Bottom