• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2015. The much-anticipated sequel to October's OT.

Tizoc

Will Legend of Wonder Woman a read.

Man, so much cognitive dissonance going on with the latest issue of Sensation Comics.

EDIT: To clarify: there are two stories in the latest issue of Sensation. In the first, Diana assists the monstrous Echidna by rescuing her children from slavers operating in Gotham City. Along the way she runs into Professor Pyg, Harley Quinn, Batgirl, and finally Batman after saving the day. Diana punches and kicks, she threatens, she intimidates not unlike Gotham's usual defenders, but she doesn't come across as needlessly violent even in this dark setting, at least no more violent than Lynda Carter did in the old TV show. In the second story, after stopping an alien invasion Superman is invited to follow Wonder Woman around for a day to write an article about her. Diana thwarts an unjust military occupation, officiates at a lesbian wedding, and destroys an illegal dam to stop a drought. The closest we see her come to taking up arms against another is when she uses her bracelet to deflect a bullet toward an enemy general, a calculated ricochet to make her point as they pummel her with machine guns and missiles. She even goes so far as to say her philosophy is not "might makes right" but "right guides might."

So what's the cover look like for this issue, in which Wonder Woman saves lives and defuses conflict with only modest amounts of violence? Diana, gore-slick sword slung over her shoulder, splattered with the blood of her fallen foes as one claws at her thigh, gazing off into the distance where no doubt her next bloody battle awaits. Yeahp.

Well you just sold me on the latest issue. This isn't the first time DC had misleading covers for their comics. Remember New World of Krypton covers?

Tess is definitely the weakest artist of the three. Her style is ripped straight from a 2nd Ed AD&D manual (the interiors, not the painted covers). That kind of fits the book, but it's the style I'd expect from a licensed Dungeons & Dragons or Pathfinder book (it's actually pretty similar to the Forgotten Realms series DC put out in the 80s), not an irreverent parody of that type of book like Rat Queens is.

Even the Legend of Baldur's Gate artist would be better right now:

I'm still hoping we'll get a print of the cover to #14, with the Queens playing D&D:

I'd pay a lot of money for one. I'm playing in a campaign soon and my Magus is kinda like a cross between Hannah and Athena from Borderlands.
Speaking of Baldur's Gate, any good Minsc comics among them?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Just heard on a month old podcast that Doom was in Invincible Ironman #1, so he's back then. And we still dont know what happened at the end of SW lol

Alright, for my reads:

Extraordinary X-Men #2: A bit dark, but I'm enjoying it thus far. Old Logan is...eh. Dunno how I feel about him. We'll see, though.

The New Avengers #3: This book keeps the action and the plot going. Just a lot of fun.

The Uncanny Inhumans #2: Well damn, this is accelerating fast. Props to Beast for
having anti-time change technology.
Also, I still don't like Gorgon being in a wheelchair. It feels wrong.
And this is a weird arc with Ahura, but that's what Black Bolt gets for dealing with Kang.
BECAUSE IT'S ALWAYS A GOOD IDEA.

Ms. Marvel #1: Still Ms. Marvel. Fun and funny. The whole "Psychotic Frog" bits were too good.

Huck #1: How delightful.
Aside from those douches at the end.
BOY JUST WANTS TO DO GOOD DEEDS. LET HIM BE.

Sam Wilson Captain America #3: Just a load of fun books this week, this being no exception.

Really enjoying Tokyo Ghost so far. Third issue was great and the art is gorgeous.

Also happy to see my local comic shop in the back of the third issue! One of the girls who works there loves Tokyo Ghost so I bet they're happy.

VanWinkle

The internet is down at my house, and normally I'd be really bummed, but now that I'm into comics I don't mind much at all. That will just give me an hour or two to focus on reading before I go to bed.

Thanks, comics.

besada

Banned
QTG5JqG.jpg

Favorite panel of the week.

Tizoc

Star Wars comics were good this week, I actually read Vader Down first lol.

Also can we please get rid of the murder hungry droids? They've become trite and I'm getting sick of them. THey make C-3PO tolerable and I couldn't care less about him.

Star Wars comics were good this week, I actually read Vader Down first lol.

Also can we please get rid of the murder hungry droids? They've become trite and I'm getting sick of them. THey make C-3PO tolerable and I couldn't care less about him.

The murdery droids are the best part of the book.

Tizoc

The murdery droids are the best part of the book.

They're boring and trite, every scene that features them just has them say something grim and morbid.
You like killing and torturing, we get it, but we see enough of that throughout the book already that them talking about it becomes meaningless.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
I waited for this since it came to CMX. This is the first marvel max title I've seen on sale

Punisher MAX was on sale about a year ago, but this is only the second MAX title on sale that I have seen. I am hoping Fury MAX goes on sale some time in the future.

Owzers

Mine too. What an absolute clusterfuck

In. Looks awesome. I love her costume.

dcbs got back to me, they can't remove statues from orders yet but are trying to get better ones.

What if i'm living in a world that doesn't have better statues for me?

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Yo. I don't know how good this is going to be, but based off the creative team alone I had to get it.

IMAG0134_600x808.jpg
It's super anime. But in the good way. Alsox Dustin's art on it is his excellent painting style stuff, so the book is beautiful.

Finished up Hellblazer Vol. 1: Original Sins last night:

Interesting seeing where episodes and storylines of Constantine were adapted from (recquiescat in pace). Really enjoyed the book. While it's extremely text heavy, the paneling and art is still interesting enough that it doesn't feel like older, silver-age books, where text was extremely heavy and the imagery was quite bland.

It also surprised me how vibrant and almost cartoon-like the art was. I imagined the book would have a far more drab color scheme with a more realistic art style, but the vibrance actually works. Also, the Swamp Thing storyline was...I mean, I've seen weird things in fiction over the years, but I'll put that in my top 5 for weirdness easily.

Fucking cosmic/supernatural pregnancies...they will never not be weird.

Finished up Hellblazer Vol. 1: Original Sins last night:

Interesting seeing where episodes and storylines of Constantine were adapted from (recquiescat in pace). Really enjoyed the book. While it's extremely text heavy, the paneling and art is still interesting enough that it doesn't feel like older, silver-age books, where text was extremely heavy and the imagery was quite bland.

It also surprised me how vibrant and almost cartoon-like the art was. I imagined the book would have a far more drab color scheme with a more realistic art style, but the vibrance actually works. Also, the Swamp Thing storyline was...I mean, I've seen weird things in fiction over the years, but I'll put that in my top 5 for weirdness easily.

Fucking cosmic/supernatural pregnancies...they will never not be weird.
I'm just about to read this as well. Are you me?

Top Bottom