• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2015. The much-anticipated sequel to October's OT.

I'm just about to read this as well. Are you me?

c2h4f.gif

It's super anime. But in the good way. Alsox Dustin's art on it is his excellent painting style stuff, so the book is beautiful.

How's the story? I'm a big Lemire fan because of Sweet Tooth, but the last creator-owned thing I read of his was Trillium, which I thought was just ok.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt

If this can maintain the quality from the SHIELD one shot, I am really looking forward to this series. A bit bummed as well about the change in artist, but the cover seems fine (giraffe neck or not).

I read the new Spider-Woman. Thankfully it wasn't nearly as cringe worthy or terrible as I expected based off the announcement. I guess who is the father is supposed to be the mystery, but honestly I don't really care, so really more just interested in seeing where they go with it.

Ms. Marvel was fantastic as usual. Nothing really to add that hasn't already been said.

Thor was also fantastic. The first few pages in particular I thought were amazing. I thought it was sort of goofy when we found out Jane was Thor, but they have made it work. I have seen some people complain about Odin being evil again, but I haven't read enough older Thor comics to be that familiar with this as a theme if it is being recycled.

I think I am dropping New Avengers after the 3rd issue. I was never a fan of the art and the story isn't really doing anything for me either. I am tempted to keep reading because it is Ewing and I want to give him the benefit of the doubt, but at this point I can wait for a sale unless impressions get a lot better over the next few issues.

Astonishing Ant-Man was better the second issue. My real big complaint is that Spencer has gone a bit overboard in making Scott miserable. I am fine with him being a fuck up in work, but I don't like the whole avoiding his daughter storyline. I hope that gets wrapped up soon and they move on. I did like that they brought back Darla from Fraction's Future Foundation run.

Spencer has been knocking Captain America out of the park. I liked Remender's run on it, but this is really at the next level.

Anyone reading Twilight Children? I enjoyed the second issue more than the first. It's quite a lovely little mystery. I'm amused by the ways in which the townspeople are so insular. How they distrust and basically roll their eyes at outsiders (mostly good-naturedly). It's interesting how Nikolas is fine with
Tito sleeping with Anton but the scientist threatens him
. Anyone have guesses about the
orbs and Elsa and the disappearances,
etc? The only guess I have is that Elsa
is one of Bundo's daughters grown up.

Anyway, I have absolutely fallen in love with Darwyn Cooke. I was excited to read this second issue for the art alone, and that never happens to me. But he's, like, my ideal artist. Simple, cartoony, and he focuses on the body language and expression characters. Anyone have suggestions for essential Darwyn Cooke reading?

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
How's the story? I'm a big Lemire fan because of Sweet Tooth, but the last creator-owned thing I read of his was Trillium, which I thought was just ok.

I was a big Lemire fan when Trillium came out and I couldn't even get past issue 3. Just a horribly boring and unmemorable series.

But Descender is really solid Lemire. I keep saying it's anime because a lot of the storyline beats are super familiar and there are certain tropes/cliches he's hitting, but it's all done really well, and it's just a fun ass read. Top that off with the best version of Dustin Nguyen, and it's a series definitely worth picking up.

Vague Lemire: Did anybody read Plutonia? I saw the first two issues at my shop but didn't grab them because nobody has spoken about it at all.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Really enjoying Tokyo Ghost so far. Third issue was great and the art is gorgeous.

Also happy to see my local comic shop in the back of the third issue! One of the girls who works there loves Tokyo Ghost so I bet they're happy.

Yeah it's gotten even better now that
Teddy
has joined the conersation.

Owzers

I'm impressed, announcement-wise, with how Marvel is filling out their line. There's a lot of books i want to give a try like Patsy Walker, Power Man and Iron Fist, Black Panther, and Starbrand and Nightmask, I haven't read any of them yet though so there's still time to dislike things.

I'm impressed, announcement-wise, with how Marvel is filling out their line. There's a lot of books i want to give a try like Patsy Walker, Power Man and Iron Fist, Black Panther, and Starbrand and Nightmask, I haven't read any of them yet though so there's still time to dislike things.

It was almost a positive post. Almost.

I started reading through the first Grayson trade and was just wondering who the yellow woman with the red hair is in the intro? It says something about foreign relations.

Thanks for the Darwyn Cooke recs, guys. Noted them all.

Some books I've read recently:

Clean Room #2 For some reason it didn't do nearly as much for me as the first issue. Could have been my mood and high expectations. I'll still pick up the next issue. I like the protagonist.

The Godammed #1. Not sure what I thought of this, actually. I guess.. It's good? Interesting, well developed world. Neat depiction of or take on biblical events (I don't know enough about this to know how close it is or not to the bible). Too dark for me, though. Bloody. Tons of cursing.

Black Magick #1 It's difficult for me to see this book objectively. I'm already reading the best book about witches ever (Rachel Rising) so it's hard not to compare them. And cops and robbers stuff typically bores me (unless it's Gotham Central). Art is cool. I want to give it a re-read because I love Rucka, but I don't see myself following this, surprisingly.

Watched two episodes of Jessica Jones. It takes a lot for me to enjoy anything superhero-related but I effing love this series so far. I'm amazed by how terrifying David Tennent is before you've even seen his face.

Tomita

Anyone got experience with dreamlandcomics.com? I really want Black Widow: Name Of The Rose, but they seem to be the only place selling it. I noticed some negative reviews about them not updating their in/out of stock status, but the reviews were pretty old. Didn't know this trade stopped being available ):

Not sure I'll have much time to check out the new Netflix show until Sunday. Can't waaaaait.

Top Bottom