• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2016. Wilde for comics, 2 Hickman books this month.

PsychBat!

Banned
Conflating cash and respect is what dumb assholes like Tom Brevoort do to explain why they cancel books like Nighthawk and Mockingbird.

55d8inP.gif

Zombine

Banned
I don't read the TWD, but lately it seems like the discussions about it have been more negative.

Huh? I've been praising it? Whisperer Wars is amazing.

I'm a gigantic fan of the franchise, but I'm also able to identify where and when the ball has been dropped. That character is one of them. Not sure where you got that narrative from.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Count me in as someone who is very high on TWD at the moment. There was just one specific issue that annoyed me but overall it's been great lately.

Sandfox

I'm a gigantic fan of the franchise, but I'm also able to identify where and when the ball has been dropped. That character is one of them. Not sure where you got that narrative from.
I'm saying this as someone from the outside looking in so it's probably me lol.

PsychBat!

Banned
Here, but I might just be missing comments since I don't read the series lol.

You got fans on both mediums. Comic readers that read TWD say it's good and then we get fanatics of the show going ----

o1dFNfD.gif

EDIT: Not really saying fans of the show are like this, I just wanted to post this gif cuz Freeza likes it.

What would you guys say are your top 5 Rebirth books? It's been a few months so I'm curious to see how everyone ranks them now.

I'm behind on most of my weeklies but Wonder Woman is my favorite for sure. I like the way Rucka writes Diana a lot.

I think Batman is quite good as well. This arc has been great so far, I loved this week's issue.

Superman and Tec are both also good. Supergirl's solid too, but I'm not crazy about the art in it.

Sandfox

I'm behind on most of my weeklies but Wonder Woman is my favorite for sure. I like the way Rucka writes Diana a lot.

I think Batman is quite good as well. This arc has been great so far, I loved this week's issue.

Superman and Tec are both also good. Supergirl's solid too, but I'm not crazy about the art in it.
I read Supergirl, but the book doesn't really excite me. The eyes are drawn weird, but I kinda like them for the uniqueness.

TheFlow

Banned
Nooooo :(

RIP Superman best book of Rebirth #1-11
Superman will be fine the same way green arrow is still fine with 3 rotating artist. It's all the about the story.

Give the guy credit for going up to 11 before getting ready for super sons.

Edit: DC has a ton of great artist/colorist I think they can find a decent replacement for an arc

Ross61

Superman will be fine the same way green arrow is still fine with 3 rotating artist. It's all the about the story.

Edit: DC has a ton of great artist/colorist I think they can find a decent replacement for an arc
Gleasons drawn most of the issues I think, with Manhke falling second having done Rebirth issue and a fill in and that two issue, and then Jiminez. After issue #11 we got the annual with Jimenez, then Manhke will be doing most of the work with Ivan Reis doing an issue.

Messi

I am reading this because it is Tomasi and Gleasons book. Without Gleasons art it loses over half the interest for me. Likely gonna drop to trade.

VanWinkle

Gleasons drawn most of the issues I think, with Manhke falling second having done Rebirth issue and a fill in and that two issue, and then Jiminez. After issue #11 we got the annual with Jimenez, then Manhke will be doing most of the work with Ivan Reis doing an issue.

Jimenez, Manhke, and Reis are all gold.

What would you guys say are your top 5 Rebirth books? It's been a few months so I'm curious to see how everyone ranks them now.
Detective Comics
Titans
Superman
Green Arrow
Nightwing

These are the ones I get excited to read. Even if Nightwing irks me to no end

JDHarbs

As someone who was always a casual fan of Superman, but has never dove deeply into the comics, what would be the must-reads?

mreddie

Doctor Strange is great, MCU ranking is getting fucked up again.

Doesn't crack top 5 fav comic films though

But fuck, that last act just shits all over Squad's last act.

Would say more but I'm gonna sneak into Inferno.

VanWinkle

As someone who was always a casual fan of Superman, but has never dove deeply into the comics, what would be the must-reads?

Oh man, I was never a fan of Superman and now I really like him.

Superman For All Seasons
Superman Red Son
Superman Birthright
Superman American Alien
Superman Secret Identity
All-Star Superman

jurgen

After issue 11 of Superman Gleason doesn't draw another issue until #18 :(.

I'm cool with Mahnke. We're also getting Ivan Reis for a couple issues too.

Superman - This book makes me grin ear to ear every other week. Super-Dad is the most endearing thing in comics right now.

Batman - Tom King is writing a very accessible Batman but it is also subtly deep. Definitely slowly building to something crazy.

Detective Comics - A Batman team book written like it's X-Men. It's a ton of fun.

Deathstroke - Priest is playing in his own little world and making Slade a fully fleshed out character. Great dark humor too.

Green Arrow - Definitely the book that's benefited the most from Rebirth. Percy can write the hell out of Ollie and Dinah.

JTripper

Well fuck me, Nightwing #25 - "The Boys", from the Dixon run is perfect. Shit, was not expecting something like that to end the vol. 3 trade I've been meaning to finish for the longest time.

Such great characterization and chemistry between Dick and Tim, and even Batman in an indirect way. I love this issue.

Now I'll go on record to say All Star Superman is one of, if not my all time favourite comic.. but if you're not familiar with the character at all.. it could be a bit overwhelming. I'd suggest you read some other stories first so you can really appreciate All Star.

Birthright & Red Son are two really great options. Although Red Son is an alternate version.. it still shows his character showing through no matter what his upbringing is... plus it has one of the coolest versions of Batman you'll see.

Also, the first trade for the current Superman run is out in January, and it is awesome.
https://www.amazon.com/Superman-Vol-Son-Rebirth/dp/1401267769

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Inspired by the WW trailer with what looks to be
the Duke of Deception and Dr. Poison
:

Aside from the ones in the spoiler, Circe, Cheetah and Ares, what WW villains do you like/want to see somewhere again?

It was nice of them to name a character after my puppy.

I think the current volume of Superman is a perfectly fine starting point with the character. Like, it's weird that he comes from a dead universe where most of DC continuity happened, and he brought his family along, and he's Superman again because THIS universe's Superman died but there are still two Loises (Superwoman #1 spoiler)
except not really because this universe's Lois absorbed some of the dead Superman's powers and then legit died herself in the very first issue of what was supposedly her comic
, but this is comics! You might as well get used to stuff like that. It's just a terrific book that I would recommend to anyone.

I agree that All-Star is not a great introduction to Superman comics. This is a pretty good rule of thumb with super hero books written by Grant Morrison because he likes to both challenge the well-established fundamentals of the character (or team) in ways a new reader might not fully appreciate, and draw from obscure lore details and history that only an established fan would understand. This is also why his stuff is great and you should read it once you feel more situated with Superman comics. I'm not saying it can't be done but I don't think you get quite as much out of it when you don't know the characters he's playing with that well.

It was nice of them to name a character after my puppy.

Are you sure you adopted a puppy, and not an ageless witch disguised as a dog who compelled you to name it Circe

A better question about Superman would be what are some good runs on the character. Because everyone mentions the same self-contained stories, but never any runs on him.
Well fuck me, Nightwing #25 - "The Boys", from the Dixon run is perfect. Shit, was not expecting something like that to end the vol. 3 trade I've been meaning to finish for the longest time.

Such great characterization and chemistry between Dick and Tim, and even Batman in an indirect way. I love this issue.
Chuck Dixon's Dick is the one that will always be the definitive version, and is why Kyle Higgins' run on Nightwing was an intense disappointment and why I have issues with the current Seeley run

Nobody mentions Man of Steel anymore. Man that was the only Superman comic that I cared about when I was a kid. I read the trade so many times it completely disintegrated. I still have it bound up with rubber bands somewhere.

Too bad John Byrne turned out to be such a dick

(I know this is another mini, but still)

That Bizzaro fight in that book. Hoooo man. Opened my eyes. Saw Jesus etc. I loved John Byrne when I was a kid. Sigh. :(

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Doctor Strange movie spoilers

Loved it, first of all. Coolest visual effects I've seen in a movie for some time. Also, there's a blink and you miss it cameo of the Staff of One from Runaways right before the final fight in Hong Kong. I k ow that there's a Minoru in the prelude comic, but I still didn't expect that. Almost definitely going to see it again sometime this weekend.

Man, I love the art in Low but sometimes I need to reread a page to figure out what I just looked at. I've never read a comic that was drawn this densely.

I found myself in the same boat during the first few issues a good few times. It's gorgeous and I wouldn't trade Tocchini, but I have had issues parsing exactly what is happening in a given panel or how something went from here to there every now and again. It didn't seem to bother me as much in volume 2, not sure if Tocchini changed or if I just acclimatised to his style more. I've had similar problems with Bachalo once or twice too. It's like, this looks great, but what is it.

Started Thanos Rising. Was not expecting this. Like I knew it'd be dark, but this is weird.

This is the Aaron book right? I quite liked it haha. I literally had not read any previous Thanos stuff outside of what Hickman was doing with him in Now though (outside of issues of the infinity watch I read as a kid), and I remember a fair bit of unhappiness with changes/faithfulness etc. While I do admit it spins it's wheels a tad at times, overall, I really enjoyed that book. How much it veers from the stuff Starlin did etc, I have no idea, but taken in a bubble it was a super cool introduction to the character.

tim1138

The five I look forward to and enjoy reading the most every month are:

Green Arrow
Supergirl
Wonder Woman
New Super-Man
Green Lanterns (tie)
Birds of Prey (tie)

Well, they gon have to send Someone to rule Salvation, and it sure aint gon be Carl.

Top Bottom