• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2016. Wilde for comics, 2 Hickman books this month.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Btw, for people that didn't see this in the DC issues:
cwzxj_jwqaah8xvgvucy.jpg

:(

Zombine

Banned
Doctor Strange movie spoilers

Loved it, first of all. Coolest visual effects I've seen in a movie for some time. Also, there's a blink and you miss it cameo of the Staff of One from Runaways right before the final fight in Hong Kong. I k ow that there's a Minoru in the prelude comic, but I still didn't expect that. Almost definitely going to see it again sometime this weekend.

And I mean...just hearing the words
The Living Tribunal
uttered by Mordo was mind blowing. We are finally here.

Sadist

Yay comics

The Walking Dead #160

Oh snap.
Really like how Dwight is in charge of things. Dude didn't hesitate to shoot that one guy in his face. Them mingling into a whisperer/zombie horde was awesome. As for the Hilltop... welp. Did laugh how Carl doesn't get wounded by the rain of fire arrows. And go Lydia!

Unworthy Thor #1

Good first issue. Really like Odinson and the ending is pretty hype. Will read the next issue for sure.

Avengers #1

Fun first issue. Art is strange but good and man, stop picking on Webs. I'm looking at you Sam.

If anyone is interested, I have codes for Avengers and Unworthy Thor. If you want one or both, just say it.

Happy birthday LordofLore! Sorry it's been crummy, hope it improves. My wife's birthday was yesterday actually, and my mom's is in a few days. Always got birthdays on the brain the beginning of November so hey maybe I will even remember yours next year. ;)

Cassandra is the best Batgirl period

Definite maybe.

Also this 22nd birthday sucks. It's raining wet snow, my mother has gotten sick and I didn't get enough sleep last night. At least Stockholm Comic Con is tomorrow.

Happy birthday New Messi!

Everyone knows the problem with comics is having to read them.

Probably the biggest problem with any hobby ever.

Only cause Tiff never got a fair shot.

Not the first time I've seen her, but I definitely forgot she existed.

Death of X #3: You know, this issue actually does a few things right. The
Magik
page? That's a killer page. And I'm enjoying
Magneto's role
in this story.

But holy fuck it does not even TRY to make sense. I cannot get past the ridiculous nonsense the
Inhumans just pulled in Madrid at the end of last issue and the beginning of this one
. I wonder how many people
died there, a city with a population of over 3 million normal humans, because Crystal orders a brand new Inhuman - whose powers she knows practically nothing about - to knock every last person in the city out. Probably more than zero!
And then....and then!!! At the top of this issue, rather than
flying around the city trying to minimize the damage they themselves just caused, they sit on the roof and have a fucking LET'S THINK OF A COOL INHUMAN NICKNAME PARTY
. WTF. And. And!
Pat themselves on the back for being big damn heroes and worry about what mean ol' Storm is going to do when she wakes up without attempting to render aid to her or the other X-Men in any way. Despite the fact that a few of them were actually airborne when Daisuke knocked them out and might have serious injuries. Like they don't even check

So really. Marvel. Are
they making a statement about white privilege with the Inhumans? Is that what this about...they are aliens who get their powers from a cocoon and that simple, random roll of the dice makes them inherently more comfortable to deal with for most people? This is flimsy but it's all I got. This thing that happened in Madrid happened eight months ago, it was a MAJOR assault on the city that doubtless resulted in dozens if not hundreds of casualties, and it was only deemed necessary at all because another Inhuman - their sovereign leader, at the time, - unleashed a weapon of mass destruction which has had major consequences for everyone on Earth
. And still. Nobody cares. It's pathetic and awful.

Either way. Lazy fucking writing, here.

Hagi

I hate the Inhumans. The are low budget, poor man's X-men in every way.

Except for Maximus. He's cool.
Wish he was an X-men villain.

Blackbolt is pretty cool. It would've been more interesting to slowly push the Inhumans into a more villainous role instead of the wishy washy boring shit we have now. Would certainly have made their stupid cloud easier to take.

Vyer

I feel like echo's getting close to 'Messi keeps reading Nocenti' level with his Marvel books.

We might have to band together for an intervention soon :p

Blackbolt is pretty cool. It would've been more interesting to slowly push the Inhumans into a more villainous role instead of the wishy washy boring shit we have now. Would certainly have made their stupid cloud easier to take.

Or back into space like back during War of Kings. Leave a small team on Earth to act as ambassadors.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Steph is great
Stephanie Brown? She is great as Spoiler (at least until she got to emotional and personally insulted when Batman fired her as Robin and started a giant disaster)

I would be happy if they transform Babs back to Oracle, I think its horrible that disabled people have no own hero. The only other I can think of is Daredevil and I dont that he really counts.

dan2026

Blackbolt is ok I suppose.

I feel Marvel has given me no reason to care about the Inhumans.
What makes them interesting and different from the X-men?
They got their powers in an ever so slightly different way?

I feel like echo's getting close to 'Messi keeps reading Nocenti' level with his Marvel books.

We might have to band together for an intervention soon :p

LOL, I can see why you would think that. It has not been a good week for my Marvel reads.

I would have dropped this book last issue if I hadn't been waiting for this payoff for so long (and if it weren't obviously setting up IvX, which I am actually looking forward to). But I'm definitely being more cautious about which books I commit to with this Marvel wave. I'm not giving them as much room, and I won't be reading anything that pulls the "want to find out how our heroes ended up here? Find out in a year!" nonsense. I'm done with that ploy.

If Renew Your Vows is good I will probably hop out of ASM until CC is over.

Edit: in my defense, it is quite rare I go full apoplectic reading a comic book, at least I believe that to be the case. DoX 3 just happened to be one of those books. I actually read it yesterday, this is the calmed down version of my review.

Sadist

The only Inhuman I care about is Ms. Marvel. Make that two if they make Lockjaw her partner.

Okay Black Bolt is cool when he is part of the Iluminati.

Vyer

LOL, I can see why you would think that. It has not been a good week for my Marvel reads.

I would have dropped this book last issue if I hadn't been waiting for this payoff for so long (and if it weren't obviously setting up IvX, which I am actually looking forward to). But I'm definitely being more cautious about which books I commit to with this Marvel wave. I'm not giving them as much room, and I won't be reading anything that pulls the "want to find out how our heroes ended up here? Find out in a year!" nonsense. I'm done with that ploy.

If Renew Your Vows is good I will probably hop out of ASM until CC is over.

Edit: in my defense, it is quite rare I go full apoplectic reading a comic book, at least I believe that to be the case. DoX 3 just happened to be one of those books. I actually read it yesterday, this is the calmed down version of my review.

I haven't even been keeping up, what's Renew Your Vows' relation to the books that came out during Secret Wars? I liked that well enough.

TheFlow

Banned
Death of X #3: You know, this issue actually does a few things right. The
Magik
page? That's a killer page. And I'm enjoying
Magneto's role
in this story.

But holy fuck it does not even TRY to make sense. I cannot get past the ridiculous nonsense the
Inhumans just pulled in Madrid at the end of last issue and the beginning of this one
. I wonder how many people
died there, a city with a population of over 3 million normal humans, because Crystal orders a brand new Inhuman - whose powers she knows practically nothing about - to knock every last person in the city out. Probably more than zero!
And then....and then!!! At the top of this issue, rather than
flying around the city trying to minimize the damage they themselves just caused, they sit on the roof and have a fucking LET'S THINK OF A COOL INHUMAN NICKNAME PARTY
. WTF. And. And!
Pat themselves on the back for being big damn heroes and worry about what mean ol' Storm is going to do when she wakes up without attempting to render aid to her or the other X-Men in any way. Despite the fact that a few of them were actually airborne when Daisuke knocked them out and might have serious injuries. Like they don't even check

So really. Marvel. Are
they making a statement about white privilege with the Inhumans? Is that what this about...they are aliens who get their powers from a cocoon and that simple, random roll of the dice makes them inherently more comfortable to deal with for most people? This is flimsy but it's all I got. This thing that happened in Madrid happened eight months ago, it was a MAJOR assault on the city that doubtless resulted in dozens if not hundreds of casualties, and it was only deemed necessary at all because another Inhuman - their sovereign leader, at the time, - unleashed a weapon of mass destruction which has had major consequences for everyone on Earth
. And still. Nobody cares. It's pathetic and awful.

Either way. Lazy fucking writing, here.
I think this is my favorite issue because it is embracing the stupidity and going straight into action.

Also yea that
magik
was badass.

I haven't even been keeping up, what's Renee Your Vows' relation to the books that came out during Secret Wars? I liked that well enough.

I think they've just decided to keep that continuity rolling? I know it's all three of them and they want to dig into that concept more. Sorry, don't have a ton of specifics, I try to avoid most preview material. It drops next week though!

Hagi

Or back into space like back during War of Kings. Leave a small team on Earth to act as ambassadors.

I'd hope they would move away somewhere nice and secluded after IvX but it's doubtful.

Blackbolt is ok I suppose.

I feel Marvel has given me no reason to care about the Inhumans.
What makes them interesting and different from the X-men?
They got their powers in an ever so slightly different way?

I tried a few of the Inhuman related books and yeah I'm just not that interested. The cloud stuff has been especially egregious and with it's relation to mutants I'm just like nah Marvel I'm good. If you are going to try and prop up Inhumans as the next big thing while knocking down my favourite cast of characters your creative teams better be on fucking point with what they are doing and that is the last thing you could say this past year.

If there isn't a significant change up in writers for Ressurexxxion then all hope is lost for another year. Least All-New Wolverine has been great.

I think they've just decided to keep that continuity rolling? I know it's all three of them and they want to dig into that concept more. Sorry, don't have a ton of specifics, I try to avoid most preview material.

Nah, the old one had the other heroes as classic versions(Carol as Ms. Marvel etc) but the new previews have shown that this version have the normal heroes due to a poster with The Greatest. Different Earth and the ones from Battleworld are dead and gone.

dan2026

They should do for Spider-man what they just did for Superman.
Bring back the married guy with a wife and kid.

It would be so much better than whatever boring bullshit Slott is still peddling.

Sadist

Well Slott did write the original Renew your vows which I really enjoy...

Slott's Spidey event books are pretty fun reads. The main series issues, they're mostly okay.

Hagi

They should do for Spider-man what they just did for Superman.
Bring back the married guy with a wife and kid.

It would be so much better than whatever boring bullshit Slott is still peddling.

Renew Your Vows is soft solution to what you are asking for. Slott ain't going anywhere any time soon so time to make your peace with that.

Speaking of Spider-man how is Clone Conspiracy shaping up? thinking about diving in if it's good, I'm a fair few issues behind on the main book I think.

I think this is my favorite issue because it is embracing the stupidity and going straight into action.

Also yea that
magik
was badass.

m8, there are four pages of action in this issue and only that much if you include the
Magik
page as well as the full page
arrival of Magneto

That's fucking bizarre. Why continue paying someone when you have no intrest in actually having them produce work for you?

Just to stop him going elsewhere? Does that really make financial sense?

Sometimes, yes. Preventing a competitor from showing up or becoming stronger, if you consider the threat credible enough.

Before valiant ive no idea what, say, DC, could Claremont on, but put that dude in charge of Harbinger and that'd generate some serious headlines.

TheFlow

Banned
m8, there are four pages of action in this issue and only that much if you include the
Magik
page as well as the full page
arrival of Magneto
Action probably wasn't the best word but seeing everyone getting ready for battle at confronting each other has me hyped.

That team at the end has me hyped. Did marvel rob me of my money? Yea, but o am going to make the best of it

Hagi

There is only one issue of Death of X left and well even if I missed seeing Scott and Emma this has not been worth the wait. Poorly paced and small in scope. It's going to take a lot for the last issue to make me mark this mini as anything other than a resounding meh.

Pretty cool of them to bring in
Alchemy
though.

Top Bottom