• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2016. Wilde for comics, 2 Hickman books this month.

kmfdmpig

Last two weeks of Big Bang talks. Messi will like this one.

No Marvel success stories thus far. Champions is doing about as well as the latest issue of Aquaman and Foolkiller did slightly better than Solo. Batman sold 4 times as many copies as the new Avengers and JL still sells out. Occupy did really badly.

I hope that the Young Animals line flopping is just at that store and not widespread as I've enjoyed the line so far.

Roman

Wasn't Warpath a furry? I mean, he was slipping it to Hepzibah, right?
I would slip it to Hepzibah too

Eh, he was on a team with Feral and Thornn and passed that up. I remember his romantic misadventures with Risque much more vividly.

I hope she pulls a Bane on Carol. It would automatically be the best comic ever if this happens.

Oh man that would be fantastic. Sadly the 2.0 solicit implies a very different status quo for Carol after Civil War II. It could still happen down the line, but unlikely given the movie push.

If what he loved is "dying like a bitch" then yeah. Even Neal is a better Thunderbird.
Neal "whines like a bitch all the time" Shaara?
Wasn't Warpath a furry? I mean, he was slipping it to Hepzibah, right?
I would slip it to Hepzibah too
Who hasn't, though?
I think someone else had furry sex with Wolfsbane
It was an Asgardian wolf person on the run from Frost Giants. That was a weird plot.

Sandfox

Eh, he was on a team with Feral and Thornn and passed that up. I remember his romantic misadventures with Risque much more vividly.

Oh man that would be fantastic. Sadly the 2.0 solicit implies a very different status quo for Carol after Civil War II. It could still happen down the line, but unlikely given the movie push.

Carol is going to be
hated by the superhero community
during Marvel Now.

Sombra is up on the ptr server, bring on the overwatches

Oh cool, let's go check it ou....

HLVYJUm.png

Nevermind.

She ain't gonna be as good as everyone thinks she will. Which means easy pickins for the rest of us.

Did anyone watch the Mass Effect trailer? I am so ready for this inevitable disappointment.

Yeah, not a great trailer but the info from GameInformer sounds good. I'm glad the Mako's returning and there'll be more of a focus on exploration again.

Yeah, not a great trailer but the info from GameInformer sounds good. I'm glad the Mako's returning and there'll be more of a focus on exploration again.

I will always be there day one for Mass Effect as long as the alien dating sim is intact. Bioware should really just switch to making dating sims. They'd probably be much more profitable.

Roman

Carol is going to be
hated by the superhero community
during Marvel Now.

Source? All I can find is this interview with the next writer, where she says:

“She will be one of the most popular heroes on the planet — but that’s not something she is very comfortable with,” Stohl explains. “And of course she’s lost a lot of folks that she’s loved, so she has to cope with that, too. That being said, she still has a job to do as commander of the Alpha Flight, her latest mission being recruiting and training new cadets (which will give us some fun supporting castmembers). It’ll also bring with it a mysterious danger that will threaten everything Carol has built.”

Danvers now finds herself in the hands of someone who has never written a comic before but knows a thing or two about female characters. And geek culture.

Stohl co-wrote with her friend Beautiful Creature, a best-seller that begat a supernatural YA franchise (and a 2013 movie that starred Alden Ehrenreich and Emmy Rossum). Prior to that, she was a video game writer and worked for Activision writing the Spider-Man and Fantastic Four games.

“I come out of girl nerdom,” says Santa Monica-based Stohl, a mother of three and whose husband builds robots. “I was going to Comic Con long before I came out as a YA author.”

All of the bolded are red flags to me that signify I won't enjoy this at all.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I think I might give Mass Effect a shot too. I was a fan of Dragon Age Inquisition. Isn't Mass Effect just sci-fi Dragon Age?

smisk

Uncanny X-Men #13 and #14

Am I the only one here still reading this? I've come close to dropping it several times but I really enjoyed these issues. It's a very interesting character lineup and they did a good job of wrapping up the arc. Not sure where it's gonna go from here but I guess I'll stick with it until the end. Skipping DoX and IvX though, I'll check out at least one of the team books during the relaunch.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Never played it. The Marvel Ultimate Alliance and X-Men Legends games definitely are, though.
I get a new PC in a few weeks and if its really Diablo with Marvel People I would looove it.

Should maybe play Ultimate Alliance at some point, too. Have booth games for my 360.

Neoxon

Did anyone hear the rumor about the X-Men coming to Avengers Academy?

If it's true, I'm more excited about what it would mean for future Marvel games. No longer would new Marvel games be restricted in their character choices like what happened for the last 2 or so years. I guess Marvel Entertainment & Fox's improving relationship may be finally spreading throughout other forms of media, after all.

Love Perez' art, that spread with Ego is awesome. Anyone reading anything decent this evening? Still books for me, Revival by King, really great. It's reminds me I need to read Chimichanga, I want a weird carnival comic.

Is Marvel Heroes Diablo with my favorite Superheroes?

It's close enough, with a coating of MMO gloss on top. You'll see other players but you won't really do much with them outside of fighting bosses in hubs. There is a whole raiding system but I've never touched it.

I like the game, play it quite a bit, but it is far from perfect. It is also very expensive for a F2P game, or very grindy, take your pick. There's plenty of freebies over time though, I've gotten Luke Cage and Doctor Strange for free the last few weeks. Sometimes there are good discounts in the Steam sales as well, like the Captain America: Civil War pack was 90% off in the 2016 Summer Sale. These days I only play during events with a big server-wide XP bonus so I can level a character in 2 hours or so.

Rhaknar has put several thousand hours in the game, he's probably the guy you should talk to about it.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
It's close enough, with a coating of MMO gloss on top. You'll see other players but you won't really do much with them outside of fighting bosses in hubs. There is a whole raiding system but I've never touched it.

I like the game, play it quite a bit, but it is far from perfect. It is also very expensive for a F2P game, or very grindy, take your pick. These days I only play during events with a big server-wide XP bonus so I can level a character in 2 hours or so.

Rhaknar has put several thousand hours in the game, he's probably the guy you should talk to about it.
Thats why I am asking here, I think my post will bot be seen in the OT :D

How does it compare to that Infinite Crisis game with DC heroes?

Neoxon

Love Perez' art, that spread with Ego is awesome. Anyone reading anything decent this evening? Still books for me, Revival by King, really great. It's reminds me I need to read Chimichanga, I want a weird carnival comic.
Perez's work just has a classic feel to it that I can't help but love. I also like how he made Sam a little bit tanner to better reflect his Latino ancestry (I think he's only half Latino, but you get the idea). And while I would have preferred Richard to have orange energy, I'm cool with it being red. I'd mention the missing two spikes on the starburst, but I feel like there may be a story reason behind Richard being a Centurion now rather than Nova Prime.

Thats why I am asking here, I think my post will bot be seen in the OT :D

How does it compare to that Infinite Crisis game with DC heroes?

Infinite Crisis was a MOBA like League of Legends or Dota 2. A terrible MOBA, and I've played a lot of them. It closed down last year, I actually almost bought the full collection of heroes when they were 50% off. They closed like a month later. A bad, bad game in every way. Which is a shame because I think a superhero MOBA could work.

I still want to see that cancelled Left 4 Dead/Payday-style Avengers game be a thing someday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R84svZiVrmU

Champions #2
[5/5]: This was fantastic. I had mixed feelings towards the first issue but this one was a lot of fun. Waid really is making the dynamic work. Also, that was totally Novas secret super villain origin.
Avengers #1
[4/5]: A really solid start to the series and finally an Avengers book that I'm excited to read. The previous one was way too hit and miss for me but this start seems a lot more focused and it shows.
Occupy Avengers #1
[3/5]: "I really like the type of story this book is trying to tell. But the entire framing of it and who they have leading it is really bringing it down. Especially with the incredibly simplistic moral take on the whole ""he asked me to do it."" It's lame and not done well at all."
Batman #10
[3/5]: A disappointing follow-up to last issue. I think what really harmed this issue was the structure of it all. Selinas story would have worked better in an issue more focused on her. But here, it seems to be used to stretch out a plot point that otherwise shouldn't have taken so long to tell.

--

Whose writing Nova?

Moon Knight 6-8: The
recap pages
in this book are essential. They orient us with an
objective narrator who states unequivocally that it was necessary for Moon Knight to shatter himself, to embrace staggering mental illness, to make himself an unfit conduit for Khonshu. The recap pages wouldn't lie to us...right?

Because there is very little here for the
reader to hold onto, is there? It's impossible to separate the real from the imaginary. The last page of #8 teases answers, but we'll see how complete they are.

It's such a clever application of a character trait more or less ignored in the last volume of Moon Knight, and shows how many layers of this character there are to explore. Easily one of the best books Marvel is publishing right now. I think it's the best this character has ever been, and I've read a lot of Moon Knight. It may not be for everyone...if you didn't enjoy the last arc, you aren't gonna like this one. But I love it.

I think it's interesting that at one point, Moon Knight asks for
his lawyer, Matt Murdock. Matt hasn't been a defense attorney since ANAD first started. This is a revealing hint as to just how disconnected MK is from the events of the rest of the Marvel universe, but I'm not sure what it means that he is
. Of course. How can you be sure of anything in this book.

I also really enjoyed how the art
emphasizes our disorientation by switching between artists for every version of Moon Knight, only to switch back to the original artist for that final page of #8
. An obvious trick, but an effective one.

Top Bottom