• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2016. Wilde for comics, 2 Hickman books this month.

I LOVED the previous Tomb Raider game. It got a bit repetitive late in the game, but it was cash money into the very end. Such an awesome atmosphere.

Is Doom scary? Like jump scares and stuff? I almost never play that sort of game. Enough stress already I'm my line of work. Last Doom game I played was Doom 2 in 1994, and I loved the hell out of it, so there's a precedent there.

I like this btw. Those Tomb Raider games, too often people are like "OH I like it but" and then go to pains to apologise for their enjoyment, or caveat it against Uncharted or whatever. I LOVED that first game, the setting on the island was fucking incredible. Rise Of changes up things a little by expanding the hubs and making it just that little bit more open, but there's still tons of of tight *level* areas you go into like the last, and it's just a blast all around. Personal preference, I liked the Japanese island more, but I appreciate you can't just set it in the same place every time.

I wouldn't say Doom is scary at all, it's definitely not a horror game. It is SUPER high octane though, you could say it's stressful in that regard. During combat sequences you are just flying around the areas switching between enemy and ammo management on the fly, you could say it's stressful in that regard haha but overall it's just fucking awesome.

Mindwipe

No Iron Man 2099 in the CMX sale makes me sad.

I hope everyone has bought The Fuse while it's on sale. And bought Trees last week too.

Mockingbird #7-8: Kinda blows my mind that there was such a dust-up over the damn cover when there are major problems in the core of the plot.

I have a big problem with the characterization of what happened to Mockingbird under the control of the Phantom Rider as "aggressive woo[ing]." I could not believe I was reading that on the recap page of #8. This goes on throughout the issue, with Bobbi later saying Clint just told himself the potion worked to get over the fact that she cheated on him...what?

What? That is not what happened. Once she was free, Bobbi told everybody the potion worked, including the Phantom Rider, and he didn't dispute it. He kidnapped her. In the past. Used a mind control potion (that completely altered her personality, incidentally). And even when he finally had her, he treated her like shit. To say that they just shacked up is totally insane.

That's what happened, right? I don't think I'm misremembering, I searched and found some of the panels but not the whole thing. And I'm not sure this is a great feminist move even if we are going to ignore the way things went down; in giving Bobbi "ownership" of her totally insane relationship with the Phantom Rider also really makes her whole motivation in allowing him to plummet to his "death" kinda screwy. I mean if he was just her ex-boyfriend, not her rapist, she probably wasn't justified in letting him die. Right?

Weird way to go out.

Costia

Just started reading comics.
So far i have read the first volumes of: saga, locke and key, sandman.
From marvel i started reading mocking bird and will probably read dr.strange since it's on sale.
Where do I start with DC comics?

Just started reading comics.
So far i have read the first volumes of: saga, locke and key, sandman.
From marvel i started reading mocking bird and will probably read dr.strange since it's on sale.
Where do I start with DC comics?

If you're reading digital then any of the number 1s that interest you from the recent rebirth (new start) that interests you. Tom King barman, Greg Rucka Wonder Woman, Tomasi Superman are a few well known examples. If physical the first volumes of those don't start dropping until January. If we're talking just really good runs of the last few years, Scott Snyder's Batman run starting with court of owls, or Brian Azzarellos wonder woman might do you well :)

Any of your favourite writers artists or characters will make it easier to recommend stuff.

If you liked Dr strange btw, Jason Aaron's Thor is great too.

Locke and Key, saga and sandman btw what a start, fantastic books. I think you're into something there more than the superhero stuff. Let us know if you want more recommendations along those lines.

Costia

If you're reading digital then any of the number 1s that interest you from the recent rebirth (new start) that interests you. Tom King barman, Greg Rucka Wonder Woman, Tomasi Superman are a few well known examples. If physical the first volumes of those don't start dropping until January. If we're talking just really good runs of the last few years, Scott Snyder's Batman run starting with court of owls, or Brian Azzarellos wonder woman might do you well :)
Any of your favourite writers artists or characters will make it easier to recommend stuff.
If you liked Dr strange btw, Jason Aaron's Thor is great too.
By rebirth you mean the 2011 reboot or the new comics with "rebirth" in the title?
I usually read sci-fi/fantasy books with a bit of humor. Prattchet, douglas adams, etc.. So marvel will probably be more interesting for me, since from what i have heard DC tends to be more serious.
I guess batman is the one i like most out of the dc characters i know.

By rebirth you mean the 2011 reboot or the new comics with "rebirth" in the title?
I usually read sci-fi/fantasy books with a bit of humor. Prattchet, douglas adams, etc.. So marvel will probably be more interesting for me, since from what i have heard DC tends to be more serious.

I'm sorry. Recently DC made a big concerted effort to make their books accessible and set them all back to issue 1 with new creators on board. They term that rebirth but it's just a tagline. There was a rebirth issue to get you up to speed then just normal 1 and onwards, examples like the books I mentioned. The last time they did this was the 2011 reboot you mention (that had the tagline the new 52). Don't worry about the names, just that every book is quite early right now and you're totally safe to jump in at issue one of a character you're interested in.

Yea so for example, you dig Batman. The current book is being written by Tom King. There's a team book by James Tynion called Detective comics and has more of a focus on the bat family. Those are probably the highest profile books right now. The last major run from 2011 that wrapped up recently was by Scott Snyder. For his success, he gets a special book right now called All Star Batman, working with really high profile artists and getting to do basically what he wants. Those three are probably the best place to start for the bat books, just the Tom King book is fine you want to keep it really simple. All those books I mentioned are super early in their runs right now and easy to jumpon, just look em up and see what interests you. If you want a fully complete run that you can work at in your own time, there's the previous Snyder run I mentioned, it starts with court of owls.

Hope this is helping haha

I won't lie, i don't read a lot of humour but if you like saga and that fits the bill for you, you will no doubt love y the last man. Same writer! The Manhattan Projects is pretty funny too.

Doctor Strange (Movie)

Thought it was pretty good but a little weird on the pacing. First and second halves just didn't jell well to me.
The aspect about Strange being a student suddenly in the middle of drama just didn't seem handled well.

Doctor Strange and the Sorcerer Supremes

Book was ok. I like this art but not sure I like it for this book. It just doesn't seem to fit well for me. I really like the team.

Green Arrow

Didn't this train come as a secret transport specifically for getting the heroine to the states? Now it's suddenly a maiden voyage for the elites of the world? I think the bad is coming out Percy's writing when the fun aspects of the book take a back seat. This was just a bad issue.

Extraordinary X-Men

This story arc just doesn't interest me at all... Does this team need to be jumping through realities in every arc?

Trailer for Champions.

8YmIU2s.gif

Mindwipe

Mockingbird #7-8: Kinda blows my mind that there was such a dust-up over the damn cover when there are major problems in the core of the plot.

I have a big problem with the characterization of what happened to Mockingbird under the control of the Phantom Rider as "aggressive woo[ing]." I could not believe I was reading that on the recap page of #8. This goes on throughout the issue, with Bobbi later saying Clint just told himself the potion worked to get over the fact that she cheated on him...what?

What? That is not what happened. Once she was free, Bobbi told everybody the potion worked, including the Phantom Rider, and he didn't dispute it. He kidnapped her. In the past. Used a mind control potion (that completely altered her personality, incidentally). And even when he finally had her, he treated her like shit. To say that they just shacked up is totally insane.

That's what happened, right? I don't think I'm misremembering, I searched and found some of the panels but not the whole thing. And I'm not sure this is a great feminist move even if we are going to ignore the way things went down; in giving Bobbi "ownership" of her totally insane relationship with the Phantom Rider also really makes her whole motivation in allowing him to plummet to his "death" kinda screwy. I mean if he was just her ex-boyfriend, not her rapist, she probably wasn't justified in letting him die. Right?

Weird way to go out.

I agree. I said at the time that I think the thing is kind of a train wreck, and I was surprised that the channers got so upset about it given it the actual plot is an anti-feminist wet dream.
It says that women make up sexual assaults to get them out of ruining people's lives and to cover up infidelity, and is essentially rape apologist and that Bobby wasn't "really" raped. The explanation that this was okay because it gives her "own" perspective is ludicrous IMO.

It's a really problematic issue. And I wonder if some of the criticism that Marvel got for not standing behind Chelsea Cain is because they knew it was as problematic as fuck and the people calling for Marvel editorial to cheerlead would have *hated* the issue if they'd actually read it. Can you imagine how much a male creator would have been (correctly) eviscerated if they'd written it?

kmfdmpig

A few sci-fi/fantasy/humor books I'd recommend checking out are:
Nextwave (Marvel)
Power Girl (DC's 2009 series)
Starfire (DC's 2015 series)
Atomic Robo (an IDW series about a robot made by Tesla)

And now, before Phil has a chance to make fun of me for it, I will remind y'all that Atomic Robo is available to read for free LEGALLY online.

atomic-robo.com

Why I can never get any of you to bite on that I'll never know.

And now, before Phil has a chance to make fun of me for it, I will remind y'all that Atomic Robo is available to read for free LEGALLY online.

atomic-robo.com

Why I can never get any of you to bite on that I'll never know.

Haha personally I'm happy to pay cash money, I have a few of the early volumes here. If its online for free though, folks should definitely check it out if they haven't already

tim1138

Overall, its a damn good title. I think I've enjoyed Orlando's take on Midnighter more than Ellis's

I remember reading an interview with Orlando (maybe on CBR?) last year right around the release of the first issue and him saying that he sent the first couple of scripts to Hitch and Ellis because he wanted to capture the spirit of Midnighter from Stormwatch and the Authority. Since the new Wildstorm imprint is a standalone thing, I wonder if Ellis will use Midnighter, Apollo, and Bendix?

Dusknoir

There's a sale for Marvel's new series. They are 2 bucks each and include:
The Clone Conspiracy
Mosaic
Solo
and Deadpool: Back In Black.
If you want to try these book now is the time.

Does anyone have any recommendations of good comic podcasts?
Decent ones seem to be hard to find.

X-Plain The X-Men is fairly good but it(of course) only focuses on mutant books. Episode 100 had Claremont come on and explain a couple of things(like his OTP for Kitty was with Rachel, the Illyana x Kitty subtext was deliberate and Rachel's second birth parent being the Phoenix which is why she's so strong).

Does anyone have any recommendations of good comic podcasts?
Decent ones seem to be hard to find.

What are you looking for from the podcast? Old books? New books? Specific publisher? Random assortment?

I've really liked Weird Science DC Comics Podcast and 11 O'clock Comics, but Weird Science does 9+ hours regularly each episode and only talk about DC books so it isn't for everyone. 11 O'clock has been great for random assortment of books but they seem to care more for art than story and sometimes lean more toward older stuff. But they fill my book variety needs from my podcasts.

Roman

Weird way to go out.

Wow, that sounds like a special brand of misguided awful. Why do the big publishers keep messing up rape backstories?

Ideally America should hit Bobbi with a chair and knock some sense into her memories.

Wow, that sounds like a special brand of misguided awful. Why do the big publishers keep messing up rape backstories?

Ideally America should hit Bobbi with a chair and knock some sense into her memories.

Ideally you would just ignore the rape backstories and never bring it up instead of trying to make sense of it.

Catching up on my backlog:

Ultimates #12
[2/5]: An entire ending issue focused largely on Carol. Yay, I haven't read any comics focused on Carol recently.
Vision #12
[5/5]: What a fantastic ride. The scenes between Vision and Virginia were amazing. King really nailed this series both stylistically and with it's cold, detached dialogue.
Teen Titans #1
[3/5]: This could've been a much better start to the series if it stuck with it's arrogant Damien attitude the entire time. But there was a bit too much cheesiness near the end that makes it think it's gonna be a more typical run.

Boogiepop

Read the Count Nefaria/Thunderbird dies a stupid death arc and the demon stuff/grieving chapter that comes after last night in the Claremont Uncanny X-men omnibus. And yeah, I'm enjoying this stuff a lot more than I did the first time through. Like, I recall that these ones kind of made me grumpy back in the day, because I was still at a point of needing X-men to be about mutants and the whole "hated and feared but still fighting for the world." And I still do think that's a core to the franchise, and this sure as hell isn't that, what with the team starting off proper by fighting Count "super freaking generic villain, especially at this point" Nefaria in a totally Avengers and government approved supervillain take-down, followed by Cyclops accidentally blowing up a demon prison while upset over Thunderbird. The second one there in particular is pretty damn random and ridiculous, but all that said, I can appreciate the over the top and kind of crazy nature of the book a lot more for what it is now, rather than focusing on missed opportunities or whatever.

The other fun thing of note, though, is that they actually reprinted the letters from the time, which is neat! And much as it was amusing to laugh at the grumpy fanboy nature of the "why you taking away my original Xmen?" letters, they're honestly right in that they're written out pretty piss poorly. Like, they're just like "eh, we're graduating from the Xmen now, no reasons offered, by guys!" But eh, can't really get upset about that (or nationalist dick Sunfire being all "psh, don't call me again bros, I'm going to go be a samurai serving my emperor" or some other questionable Japanese-isms as he flew off), as it was just trying to get the team formed up rather than making a story out of that. Also, one of the letter responses to that was "Try Champions, it has Iceman and Angel!" which made me chuckle.

Malyse

Catching up on my backlog:

Ultimates #12
[2/5]: An entire ending issue focused largely on Carol. Yay, I haven't read any comics focused on Carol recently.
Vision #12
[5/5]: What a fantastic ride. The scenes between Vision and Virginia were amazing. King really nailed this series both stylistically and with it's cold, detached dialogue.
Teen Titans #1
[3/5]: This could've been a much better start to the series if it stuck with it's arrogant Damien attitude the entire time. But there was a bit too much cheesiness near the end that makes it think it's gonna be a more typical run.
Superman 10 makes up for Teen Titans 1

I agree. I said at the time that I think the thing is kind of a train wreck, and I was surprised that the channers got so upset about it given it the actual plot is an anti-feminist wet dream.
It says that women make up sexual assaults to get them out of ruining people's lives and to cover up infidelity, and is essentially rape apologist and that Bobby wasn't "really" raped. The explanation that this was okay because it gives her "own" perspective is ludicrous IMO.

It's a really problematic issue. And I wonder if some of the criticism that Marvel got for not standing behind Chelsea Cain is because they knew it was as problematic as fuck and the people calling for Marvel editorial to cheerlead would have *hated* the issue if they'd actually read it. Can you imagine how much a male creator would have been (correctly) eviscerated if they'd written it?

Yes, thank you. Exactly. I keep thinking of how the sequence of events plays out if
this is what happened, if she was into it the whole time
and Bobbi looks awful no matter how you slice it, unless you flat-out ignore a bunch of panels as they are written. Even then! She
killed him
, in the end.

That whole series of events is predicated on the notion that
Bobbi was kidnapped and raped and Clint never fully grasped the level of mental anguish she was experiencing
. Really fucked to make it
all a lie
. That doesn't happen in the real world, and we have a real problem with people thinking that it does.

Sometimes it's necessary to bring it up, like with Carol. The Bobbi situation has been botched from the beginning, though.

Did Carol's rape story ever get addressed in Captain Marvel? I'm pretty sure KSD wanted to forget all about it during her run.

Roman

Did Carol's rape story ever get addressed in Captain Marvel? I'm pretty sure KSD wanted to forget all about it during her run.

I meant originally, when Claremont correctly called out Shooter's disturbing garbage in-story.

I haven't read KSD's run so I can't comment on that.

TheFlow

Banned
Read the Count Nefaria/Thunderbird dies a stupid death arc and the demon stuff/grieving chapter that comes after last night in the Claremont Uncanny X-men omnibus. And yeah, I'm enjoying this stuff a lot more than I did the first time through. Like, I recall that these ones kind of made me grumpy back in the day, because I was still at a point of needing X-men to be about mutants and the whole "hated and feared but still fighting for the world." And I still do think that's a core to the franchise, and this sure as hell isn't that, what with the team starting off proper by fighting Count "super freaking generic villain, especially at this point" Nefaria in a totally Avengers and government approved supervillain take-down, followed by Cyclops accidentally blowing up a demon prison while upset over Thunderbird. The second one there in particular is pretty damn random and ridiculous, but all that said, I can appreciate the over the top and kind of crazy nature of the book a lot more for what it is now, rather than focusing on missed opportunities or whatever.

The other fun thing of note, though, is that they actually reprinted the letters from the time, which is neat! And much as it was amusing to laugh at the grumpy fanboy nature of the "why you taking away my original Xmen?" letters, they're honestly right in that they're written out pretty piss poorly. Like, they're just like "eh, we're graduating from the Xmen now, no reasons offered, by guys!" But eh, can't really get upset about that (or nationalist dick Sunfire being all "psh, don't call me again bros, I'm going to go be a samurai serving my emperor" or some other questionable Japanese-isms as he flew off), as it was just trying to get the team formed up rather than making a story out of that. Also, one of the letter responses to that was "Try Champions, it has Iceman and Angel!" which made me chuckle.
I am loving his run so far. I am going to make sure to read the wolverine and Magik mini series. Also going to read some of new mutants. Too bad marvel unlimited doesn't have all of new mutants from my understanding

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, thank you. Exactly. I keep thinking of how the sequence of events plays out if
this is what happened, if she was into it the whole time
and Bobbi looks awful no matter how you slice it, unless you flat-out ignore a bunch of panels as they are written. Even then! She
killed him
, in the end.

That whole series of events is predicated on the notion that
Bobbi was kidnapped and raped and Clint never fully grasped the level of mental anguish she was experiencing
. Really fucked to make it
all a lie
. That doesn't happen in the real world, and we have a real problem with people thinking that it does.

I believe what Cain was going for (and whether or not she was successful in this is a whole other argument) was
positing that the whole Phantom Rider story was only told from Hawkeye's point of view, and was trying to reclaim it. So from his perspective, his wife was mind controlled and raped, but if you ask her side of the story, she was just unhappy in her relationship and had an affair. Having not read the comics where that whole storyline happened, I don't know if that makes any sense, but I believe her intention was to retell that story from a different perspective.

I believe what Cain was going for (and whether or not she was successful in this is a whole other argument) was
positing that the whole Phantom Rider story was only told from Hawkeye's point of view, and was trying to reclaim it. So from his perspective, his wife was mind controlled and raped, but if you ask her side of the story, she was just unhappy in her relationship and had an affair. Having not read the comics where that whole storyline happened, I don't know if that makes any sense, but I believe her intention was to retell that story from a different perspective.

I know she said that, but that's not what happened. It doesn't make any sense.
There are multiple scenes where Bobbi tells people other than Hawkeye that she was mind controlled. Including a scene with the Phantom Rider, and he doesn't try to argue that she wasn't. I don't think Clint is even there when she lets him die.

So it has always been told from a shared perspective. It's actually a really sad story that results in their divorce and Clint already didn't exactly come out of the whole thing smelling like roses.

It is specious to suggest this story has not been told from Bobbi's point of view. It already was. She took complete ownership of the situation in the original story. It wasn't told from the limited first-person perspective Cain has chosen for her own run on the character. But it was a very ordinary thing for stories to be told like that at that time, and if you say that Mockingbird just shacked up with the Phantom Rider, you are also saying she lied to her closest friends and her husband about being raped. And then murdered the guy she cheated on her husband with.

Her intentions may have been noble but I think it creates massive problems for Bobbi and is best forgotten. I think it reflects a misunderstanding of the importance of continuity in big 2 comics, in fact.

Top Bottom