• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2016. Capes, Crime, Bondage, and sometimes Overwatch.

Dalek

Review time! Reading some good stuff this weekend. Read a bunch of Abe Sapien which I might bring up later & some BPRD, but what I really want to write about, because it's a volume 1 and it hasn't been discussed too often around here, iiiiiis...

Harrow County vol.1 - I really liked this! Bunn may not be loved currently for his superhero work, but he knows how to spin a creepy yarn that has a lot of heart. The story, a coming of age tale told under the shadow of the legend of a witch whom is said to have been hung 20 years ago on the hill overlooking the lead character Emmy's family farm, is pretty much like the initially fairytale-esque woods the lead character roams. Bar the prologue which is admittedly pretty creepy, it starts out pretty light and whimsical as it introduces us to Emmy's life with just a few inkling of what's to come. However, the deeper down the path Bunn leads the reader, the more twisted and weird the creatures are uncovered get, and the more unsettling truths are dragged into the light of day. Over the 4 issues collected, a lot of strange things are encountered, some explained here, some set up for later, but it's all in service of the core narrative, exploring the corner of maturity that Emmy & we all turn at some point where you realise that maybe you shouldn't have been in such a rush to shed your innocence (& ignorance); that somethings can't be unseen or taken back; that your parents aren't these black and white figures before you that always make the right decision, and so on.

One thing worth mentioning is that there is a fair deal of narration from Bunn, and not everyone is going to love it. I can be put off VERY quickly by comics where I feel like the writer is using narration or inner monologue to tell where they could have shown, or where the artist has shown, but the writer was too overbearing to leave well enough alone. Now I personally think he has an ear for this style of writing and that he manages to weave in and out of the art, backing off when need be, and adding to the story when he does step in, but I'm just saying I wouldn't assume it to be everyone's cup of tea. The trade was a meaty trade with a lot of reading as a result, and I know not every goes in for that.

I haven't mentioned the art at all so far, and for good reason. Tyler Crook in my mind, was a good artist. I've enjoyed his stuff on the BPRD but nothing mind blowing. His move here to handle the whole art process by himself - pencils, inks, colours and even the lettering - is somewhat of a revelation. I'm not a great art buff, so it's hard for me to break down the actual technical aspects, but I just know the end product is literally stunning, particularly because of the use of watercolours, and how vivid they are. He pours detail and mood into every panel, and it's just exceptional stuff. He makes Harrow County a real breathing world that you can settle into , and over 120 odd pages despite the horrible things that are lurking around the edges, he makes it a place you don't want to leave.

In terms of the actual trade paper back collection, it's the usually high high quality I've come to expect from Dark Horse, and easily worth the cash.The actual paper stock is of great quality, nice and thick with no warping of anything. Binding is perfectly adequate for a paperback, no danger of the pages falling out. There is a really nice sketch section at the back with features comments from the team, showing some of the art process, initial character designs. There eventual a map sketch with a funny anecdote from Tyler Crook about how he started a map to build a sense of place for himself as to where the various locations are in relation to each other, but quickly gave up as he was effectively planning himself into a corner. On the next page, Bunn declares how much he's like a fully illustrated map now haha. it's definitely the kind of book you might expect a map to be on the inside cover. I bought volume 2 & 3 alongside this volume, and can also say they have maintained a really nice consistent trade dress over the three books, and they look really nice as a set on the shelf. Overall, if you've bought a Hellboy trade before, you probably have a pretty good idea of the quality on display.

Overall, the book is just a really great engaging read, and worth your while if you're a fan of this kind of stuff. I don't think it's necessarily the kind of book that will convert people that the description of a "southern gothic fairytale" does nothing for, but if that does entice you it's the perfect type of book to pick up this time of year when the autumn leaves are falling and the nights are getting earlier. It's a really nice volume in it's own right but also set-up pieces that hint towards a larger mythos to be unveiled as the series goes forward. Looking forward to reading the other two books

Bonus shot: One of the first proper looks at the farmstead in the book by night, and just gorgeous. Also, Crook does some real fun drops of the title card into the art.

I loved Harrow County-really great comic.

I'm looking to get into digital comics. Mostly interested in mainstream stuff to kill time. Should I go for Marvel Unlimited or Comixology? If I go for the annual membership, pricing is about the same.

Which one has better content? Does Comixology Unlimited give you access to all of their content or is it only select titles?

I have Android. Which app is better?

Marvel Unlimited is a better deal if you're just getting into comics. Comixology's service is good but it's more to sample stuff than really read series in bulk. MU pretty much has every Marvel comic you'd want to read outside of a few exceptions like their MAX line. Comixology has some fantastic books if you do want to get into alternative/indie stuff though.

Check out Humble Bundle every now and then too. They run a lot of good comic bundles.

Time for new list!

Doctor Fate #17
Frostbite #2
Future Quest #6
Wonder Woman #9
Elephantmen #73
Invisible Republic #12
Saga #39
Surgeon X #2
Wayward #17
Civil War II #6
Ms. Marvel #12
Silver Surfer #7
Star Wars #24
Ultimates #12
Vision #12
Generation Zero #3
Giant Days Holiday Special #1

Hm.... there's also a Prince of Cats hardcover coming out this week. Isn't that the one that was out of print?

Owzers

I watched Dead Room on Netflix, it was pretty good and I only looked away once. Can't scare me if I don't watch!

Black mirror s3 is next.

Scalped - Vol. 10: Trail's End
[5/5]: This to me was about as perfect of an ending as you could get given the vast set of characters and the world Aaron created. And it plays into the larger story that was told as well, along with other reservations that weren't shown. Progress stuck in a cycle that's underlined by tragedy or sadness at every step. And that's probably what I loved the most about this story, it's a uniquely Native American story in a lot of ways but applicable to such a broad spectrum of communities around the world in most others.

At a certain point in the volume, it stopped mattering to me whether or not characters would die or live. And that was especially the case with Red Crow. What he stood for, what he hoped to accomplish, what he had accomplished, was pretty much in ruins. The person was alive but the character was dead. And that really made it quite bittersweet in a lot of ways to see him living with the dogs in the end.

--

Just a fantastic read from start to end. I'm on a Aaron high. It's time to finally read his Thor run from the beginning, which is something I haven't actually done.

Whooooof god I hate flying. Almost home. One more hour, I caved and bought some internet.

I read comics for the first time in foreeever though which was nice. Managed to read a dozen books! I will post more reviewy stuff tomorrow for most if not all of these, but I didn't want to forget what I read ;p So!

A-Force #10: Pretty awful.

All-New X-Men #14: Okay, Hopeless, not bad! Valiant effort. Appreciate what he was trying to do though it didn't *quite* work.

Amazing Spider-Man #20: More entertaining than CC #1. Does not make any sense.

Aquaman #9: Best issue so far, so glad I picked this back up. I feel like we've been here before with Good King Arthur but it's being done really well so it's cool.

Astonishing Ant-Man #13: Great send-off but if this had been the first issue I don't think this book would be ending. What a tease that last page is.

The Backstagers #3: I have lots to say about this issue. Perfect issue right here, folks. This book is looking like it's gonna be a classic.

Batman #9: WHAT A GREAT FUCKING BATMAN COMIC. SHIT. I almost dropped this and would have missed this :O

Black Panther #7: Such a top-heavy book but so much PATHOS. Luke and Misty bring a LOT to this issue. Manifold. I missed you.

Black Widow #7: Wowwww. Another great cape comic!! How lucky am I tonight?? The Weeping Lion is a fantastic character. Natasha holy shit chiiiill 0_0

Captain America: Sam Wilson #14: Oh these books about to get real good aren't they. ANOTHER great cape comic.

Cave Carson has a bla bla bla #1: I liked this well enough, and I'm giving it another issue, but this line is gonna fail you guys.

CWII Kingpin #4: It doesn't justify CWII, no, but this was still a wild and crazy ride. Loved it. Can't wait for the ongoing. I'm...going to miss the art?

Edit: we had a layover in Chicago. The pilot from Chicago to Portland announced the final score of the game at like 12 AM EST and all the cheering woke up every baby on the plane. Fuck baseball and to hell with the Cubs
Maybe it was 11 I don't know I lose all track of time in these fucking tin cans

Sandfox

Whooooof god I hate flying. Almost home. One more hour, I caved and bought some internet.

I read comics for the first time in foreeever though which was nice. Managed to read a dozen books! I will post more reviewy stuff tomorrow for most if not all of these, but I didn't want to forget what I read ;p So!

All-New X-Men #14: Okay, Hopeless, not bad! Valiant effort. Appreciate what he was trying to do though it didn't *quite* work.
Aquaman #9: Best issue so far, so glad I picked this back up. I feel like we've been here before with Good King Arthur but it's being done really well so it's cool.
Astonishing Ant-Man #13: Great send-off but if this had been the first issue I don't think this book would be ending. What a tease that last page is.
The Backstagers #3: I have lots to say about this issue. Perfect issue right here, folks. This book is looking like it's gonna be a classic.
Batman #9: WHAT A GREAT FUCKING BATMAN COMIC. SHIT. I almost dropped this and would have missed this :O
Black Panther #7: Such a top-heavy book but so much PATHOS. Luke and Misty bring a LOT to this issue. Manifold. I missed you.
Black Widow #7: Wowwww. Another great cape comic!! How lucky am I tonight?? The Weeping Lion is a fantastic character. Natasha holy shit 0_0
Captain America: Sam Wilson #14: Oh these books about to get real good aren't they. ANOTHER great cape comic.
Cave Carson has a bla bla bla #1: I liked this well enough, and I'm giving it another issue, but this line is gonna fail you guys.
CWII Kingpin #4: It doesn't justify CWII, no, but this was still a wild and crazy ride. Loved it. Can't wait for the ongoing. I'm...going to miss the art?

Edit: we had a layover in Chicago. The pilot from Chicago to Portland announced the final score of the game at like 12 AM EST and all the cheering woke up every baby on the plane. Fuck baseball and to hell with the Cubs

Compare the last page of Ant-Man to the last page of issue #5 of the pre-SW run to make it even better.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Echo, just because you have robot eyes with wires in them doesnt mean you have to melt our corneas by not seperating each line ;_;

Is Vision really ending this week??? Is it really happening?

God I'm going to be so sad. Nobody better spoil that shit for your fellow comicgaffers

Ha, this was me as well.

Cause of King, I wanted the comic to really grab me. But I kept dropping it and coming back in the hopes that I would read that one issue that would finally take off and make me stick with it. #9 really does seem to be heading in a great direction.

Ha, this was me as well.

Cause of King, I wanted the comic to really grab me. But I kept dropping it and coming back in the hopes that I would read that one issue that would finally take off and make me stick with it. #9 really does seem to be heading in a great direction.

Yeah I've been picking up every issue, thought a couple of issues from the first arc were really great but overall found it kind of a disastrous mess. And Night of the Monster Men was soooo bad.

But the cover looked hot, the title of the arc grabbed me, thought "fucking King man!" and nabbed it and fuck I'm so glad. It's just the tops. I never would have believed anyone that it was actually good let alone amazing.

Apparently the retail that ordered the cancelled JSC exclusive Riri variant is still gonna get their copy they paid for. That's gonna be a lot of money.

Ross61

Black Widow #7: Wowwww. Another great cape comic!! How lucky am I tonight?? The Weeping Lion is a fantastic character. Natasha holy shit chiiiill 0_0

Why would you say that? Doom Patrol landed in the top 20 it should still sell solid after the drop-off.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member

Yep and yep. I may never come back around on Beckett because he was mean to my dear Sasha, but there's just absolutely so much that I love about that book.

Sorry you don't like plane travel. I hope it wasn't too bad for you, Cubs making babies cry aside.

Thanks BLL. It's rough for me and this was a pretty lousy flight but I won't bore you guys with the deets

I will expand more on my thoughts on Young Animal tomorrow. I would love to be wrong.

Cave Carson has a Cybernetic Eye #1
This was a very interesting first issue. Morose, weird, and mysterious. I don't really have a connection to any of the previous Cave Carson stuff, so I can't say I have much investment. I am looking forward most positively to the next issue.

Also
Will Magnus
is a dick

Marvel Unlimited is a better deal if you're just getting into comics. Comixology's service is good but it's more to sample stuff than really read series in bulk. MU pretty much has every Marvel comic you'd want to read outside of a few exceptions like their MAX line. Comixology has some fantastic books if you do want to get into alternative/indie stuff though.

Check out Humble Bundle every now and then too. They run a lot of good comic bundles.

Thanks. Went with MU. Starting with Giant-Size X-Men.

Scalped - Vol. 9 - Knuckle Up
[5/5]:.

Scalped - Vol. 10: Trail's End
[5/5]

Just a fantastic read from start to end. I'm on a Aaron high. It's time to finally read his Thor run from the beginning, which is something I haven't actually done.

whey! haha that was awesome reading your thoughts all the way through on that man, and I love your take away from it. It's definitely one of those hard to swallow series. Even though there is triumph for a few characters, it's difficult to think how sad and pointless it all was in the end, in the grander scheme of things.

Oh, and how did you feel about
Nitz
in the end haha? I know he bothered you a lot early on and then you didn't mention him too much.
acceptable resolution? XD

Onto the other side, and southern bastards! ;) His Thor is really cool though, both his Thor & Dr. Strange managed to look through a unique lens at the characters, I love both of his takes.

I still have a digital code for Dr. Strange Vol 1, for anyone who may have been on the fence with Aaron's run and never picked it up. I know most folks have read, but I try and bring it back up now and then haha

I loved Harrow County-really great comic.

Hell yea, are you all the way up to date? I have the other two volumes here, should take me up to issue 12 I believe!

Haven't commented but really been enjoying following along man. That's a book I need under my belt.

I would say something about how you should but i mean...c'mon. Primethius knocked it out the park with this stuff.

Nobody better spoil that shit for your fellow comicgaffers

Oh lol

OH MY GOD YOU GUYS

I just realized the person writing Captain America: Steve Rogers and Taskmaster's upcoming plot in it is responsible for every Taskmaster appearance I actually LIKED since 2012.

-Ant-Man when he beat up Scott Lang
-Secret Avengers when he was a double agent and hilariously weird
-Avengers World with his best costume ever

Nick Spencer is like a huge Taskmaster fanboy this plot might actually not treat him like a throwaway character.

Oh god, the next Screwattack Death Battle is Hulk vs Doomsday. I'm not looking forward to that thread.

It's uh happenin'. Death Battles are always wonky and unpredictable though. Besides WWH it seems like most Hulks would get floored by most versions of Doomsday.

Finished Ultimates volume one, really fun read, feels like one of the comics I'd recommend to a friend starting out that likes the MCU. Reading ultimates 2 and the storyline they're doing with Thor is fantastic, love that they're making him look like he is delusional.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Tell me about wayward man. How is it?

I would describe it as Irish Buffy goes to Japan, discovers she has super powers, and fights Japanese folk lore monsters. It's not the best book I read but it's a lot of fun. The art is excellent. The characters are interesting.

It also has some really great essays in the back about Japanese history, culture, and folk lore.

TheFlow

Banned
OH MY GOD YOU GUYS

I just realized the person writing Captain America: Steve Rogers and Taskmaster's upcoming plot in it is responsible for every Taskmaster appearance I actually LIKED since 2012.

-Ant-Man when he beat up Scott Lang
-Secret Avengers when he was a double agent and hilariously weird
-Avengers World with his best costume ever

Nick Spencer is like a huge Taskmaster fanboy this plot might actually not treat him like a throwaway character.

Nick spencer is doing the lords work.

I would describe it as Irish Buffy goes to Japan, discovers she has super powers, and fights Japanese folk lore monsters. It's not the best book I read but it's a lot of fun. The art is excellent. The characters are interesting.

It also has some really great essays in the back about Japanese history, culture, and folk lore.

It's really great

Hmm, this osunds good. I've haven't really heard much about it. I need to see if the essays ar ein the collections, that sounds like a draw in itself to be honest.

Hahahaha Hahahaha hahaha

Exactly. It's probably going to be someone's badge of honour to spoil this book first.

Messi

Hmm, this osunds good. I've haven't really heard much about it. I need to see if the essays ar ein the collections, that sounds like a draw in itself to be honest.

Exactly. It's probably going to be someone's badge of honour to spoil this book first.

Waywards beautiful hardcover has the essays

Also a free poster

Action Man: Revolution One-Shot
Batman Beyond #1
Detective Comics #943
Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers #8
Revolution #4 of 5
Spider-Man/Deadpool #10
Suicide Squad #5
Teen Titans #1
The Vision #12 (Final Issue)
Wonder Woman #9

This week's list. I should call it Preparing to Tradewait on Numerous Books:

Seven to Eternity #2
Saga #39

Haha we're going to have to add a "notable trade releases this month" to the ot to help you keep track. I have an ugly sprawling notepad I keep lol

Ill have a look at the HCs for wayward. Could be a good Xmas list thing, that's one of the few times there's been backmatter I've heard of that sounds interesting.

Top Bottom