• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2016. Capes, Crime, Bondage, and sometimes Overwatch.

whey! haha that was awesome reading your thoughts all the way through on that man, and I love your take away from it. It's definitely one of those hard to swallow series. Even though there is triumph for a few characters, it's difficult to think how sad and pointless it all was in the end, in the grander scheme of things.

Oh, and how did you feel about
Nitz
in the end haha? I know he bothered you a lot early on and then you didn't mention him too much.
acceptable resolution? XD

Oh yea, there's a lot of characters who I glossed over (just for time's sake while writing) that I thought were handled great.

Shunka in Vol. 9 was amazing and I loved the way his backstory came into play. As for Nitz, like Red Crow, I stopped caring about whether or not he would live or die near the end. So much of the reason for his crusades fell apart. And about mid way you realize that he's really been going after Red Crow because he's been doing it for so long and stopping now would mean that he ruined so much of his life for no reason. Drive purely by vengeance I actually felt a bit sorry for him as he ran into the burning building, given that he had the true culprit under his grasp just a short while ago.

So yea, very acceptable resolution. It was the one thing that worried me in the beginning and Aaron really knocked it out of the park.

Oh yea, there's a lot of characters who I glossed over (just for time's sake while writing) that I thought were handled great.

Shunka in Vol. 9 was amazing and I loved the way his backstory came into play. As for Nitz, like Red Crow, I stopped caring about whether or not he would live or die near the end. So much of the reason for his crusades fell apart. And about mid way you realize that he's really been going after Red Crow because he's been doing it for so long and stopping now would mean that he ruined so much of his life for no reason. Drive purely by vengeance I actually felt a bit sorry for him as he ran into the burning building, given that he had the true culprit under his grasp just a short while ago.

So yea, very acceptable resolution. It was the one thing that worried me in the beginning and Aaron really knocked it out of the park.

Totally agree, especially the part I bolded. Fantastic series. Bar a two side volumes I've effectively finished my big reread I had going on so my slate is nearly clear again. I have some turtles books, some harrow county and Aaron's femthor OHC sitting on my shelf to be read, but I'd really like to get through Scalped before years end. Both that and y the last man are far past the point of needing to be opened again and your review series has really rustled it up in my brain haha.

Are you interested in jumping on southern bastards or you going to leave that to finish? I'm guessing you haven't read it since you never referenced it in any of your write-up and you can definitely draw some parallels.

I can't buy any more comics this month. I got a doggy! She's so sweet.

Omg what kind? I'm always more than open to seeing comicgaf dog pics

Totally agree, especially the part I bolded. Fantastic series. Bar a two side volumes I've effectively finished my big reread I had going on so my slate is nearly clear again. I have some turtles books, some harrow county and Aaron's femthor OHC sitting on my shelf to be read, but I'd really like to get through Scalped before years end. Both that and y the last man are far past the point of needing to be opened again and your review series has really rustled it up in my brain haha.

Are you interested in jumping on southern bastards or you going to leave that to finish? I'm guessing you haven't read it since you never referenced it in any of your write-up and you can definitely draw some parallels.

Omg what kind? I'm always more than open to seeing comicgaf dog pics

I've been thinking about it. Is it going to finish soon or is it a ways off? If it's like Scalped, I might wait for it to finish (if soon) because I feel stories like these are way better in trade format.

Doesn't hurt that there's a bunch of other Aaron stuff I need to read as well.

I've been thinking about it. Is it going to finish soon or is it a ways off? If it's like Scalped, I might wait for it to finish (if soon) because I feel stories like these are way better in trade format.

Doesn't hurt that there's a bunch of other Aaron stuff I need to read as well.

As far as I can tell, there's no end in sight yet. I remember in an interview with multiversity he said that he wasn't necessarily looking to do 60 issues again but then again, wasn't opposed to it. They have an ending but how long they take to get there is malleable. Latour's art on the book is incredible.

And definitely, no reason not to let it build up. His new thing with Guera is just starting out too, the goddamned, those two books and his marvel books, he's a real superstar.

Damn good first pick! I wish that I had saved myself for Giant-Size X-Men.

That came out kind of strange but I'm being completely serious.
I wish I could go back and experience the majesty of that run for the first time again
Oh god, the next Screwattack Death Battle is Hulk vs Doomsday. I'm not looking forward to that thread.
It'll be a whatever thread. Someone will act like Doomsday is a good character

Couldn't be bothered spending the week umming and aahing so just grabbed those books. My first ever comixology purchase lol

Abe Sapien 32-36
BPRD hell on earth 143-147

And the 2016 Hellboy winter special while I was at it, who knows when that'll be collected. Plus it has a Gall Dennar story illustrated by Tim Sale. Whaaaat.

Also, now that my reread is pretty much at its end, iiiif anyone did follow any of my write-ups and would like to check out HB for the first time, I did see that the first three volumes are on comixology unlimited, which you can get a free 30 day trial for. This is a pretty perfect introduction. It gets you through the seminal first volume which was actually scripted by John Byrne, volume 2 which is Mig's first totally self written volume and the first volume of short stories where the cogs really start turning and things really start to chug along as the book we all come to know and love. It's pretty fair to say you'll know if you dig the book by that point or not. It's usually unfair to tell people to read several volumes in to give something a shot too so this kind of neatens that up. (Tizoc, if you're still planning on doing a Hellboy thing, might be worth mentioning :) )

Also if my harrow county write up sounded good, the first issue will be given away for free at participating stores on the 31st as part of halloween comicfest. Don't know much about that but saw it advertised and thought I'd mention it anyway.

As far as I can tell, there's no end in sight yet. I remember in an interview with multiversity he said that he wasn't necessarily looking to do 60 issues again but then again, wasn't opposed to it. They have an ending but how long they take to get there is malleable. Latour's art on the book is incredible.

And definitely, no reason not to let it build up. His new thing with Guera is just starting out too, the goddamned, those two books and his marvel books, he's a real superstar.

Interesting. Yea, I think I'll start reading it after some other stuff in my backlog. I still have a couple of those Hellboy trades I picked up, his Thor stuff and a few other comics to read.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Haha we're going to have to add a "notable trade releases this month" to the ot to help you keep track. I have an ugly sprawling notepad I keep lol

lol Agreed, but I normally check comiclist.com once a week to see what's coming and they haven't let me down so far.

Interesting. Yea, I think I'll start reading it after some other stuff in my backlog. I still have a couple of those Hellboy trades I picked up, his Thor stuff and a few other comics to read.

His first twelve issues of Thor are just amazing, absolutely awesome stuff. The second leg of god of thunder was good fun, and really picked up towards the end again, but just that first year...really interested to see where femthor lands on that scale. Yay for HB haha.

lol Agreed, but I normally check comiclist.com once a week to see what's coming and they haven't let me down so far.

Oh cool maybe I should check that out. I end up using a mishmash of book sites i purchase from like amazon etc but their results can be really finicky, sometimes straight up wrong or with stuff missing. It's especially hard to find things I'm not necessarily looking for too like ogns or minis, just coming across new things that I might want to check out.

Owzers

From the Doctor Strange review thread:

True, “Doctor Strange” is an origin story, and occasionally hemmed in by the genre’s narrative requirements, but it’s smart enough to bring in great British actors to make the predictable paces and life lessons feel fresh and fascinating.

So British actors make predicable things fresh and fascinating? Totally not worried this movie is going to be another boring cape thing.

I have Wednesday off next week and it launches here on Tuesday, so I'll probably go then. Haven't been to the cinema in awhile. I'm sure it'll be fine.

you could spend that time playing Overwatch.

I'm still pretty flu-y, so no. And if I was well enough to play games this week, I should be at work.

I did buy some Halloween loot boxes, so:
cMfkFGP.gif

Real talk, I tried to play last week. 7 games, 7 instances of somebody on my team quitting during the match. I had a 25 kill streak as Zenyatta, I died ONCE, the whole team blamed me despite them leaving the point to chase after a Tracer that was doing fuck all anyway. I love the game but I cannot abide this. If I wanted this type of environment, I'd still be playing League.

Why can't anyone in these Marvel shows say the name of anyone from any other Marvel show/movie? It's really fucking distracting and takes me out of a show for a hot minute.

Warren Ellis' weekly newsletter came out. Here's the part about Dillon:

Steve Dillon died Thursday or Friday in New York City.
Which I am still having trouble processing. I hadn't seen him in a good few years - I stopped doing conventions, I drifted away from comics circles in general -- but I must have known him since around 1990. He was about six years older than me, which means he was around 54 when he died.
I wouldn't say Steve was indestructible, because I remember the day when he was trying to get to his convention panel from his hotel room via every toilet in between those two locations. But there was something of the immortal about him. He could soak up phenomenal amounts of damage and stress and keep moving. I think most of us assumed he would live to be a hundred, just to spite everybody, giant and inviolate to the end.
And that's how I'm going to remember him. Walking around a pub in Ireland making sure everybody had a drink. "You got your pint? Is everybody pinted?"
Everybody's pinted, Steve. You can sit down and rest now. You earned it, mate.

Literally as I'm complaining about this, Cottonmouth calls Luke Cage Harlem's Captain America. Fucking thank you. It's not even like superhero name shit, call Jessica Jones her damn name. They reference her 3 or 4 times but can't say her name and the references are real awkward.

Edit: They do say Fisk tho.

Literally as I'm complaining about this, Cottonmouth calls Luke Cage Harlem's Captain America. Fucking thank you. It's not even like superhero name shit, call Jessica Jones her damn name. They reference her 3 or 4 times but can't say her name and the references are real awkward.

Edit: They do say Fisk tho.
You want them to call JJ 'Jewel'? Why? She abandoned that identity. That's a huge component of her character. Her code name is her actual name

You want them to call JJ 'Jewel'? Why? She abandoned that identity. That's a huge component of her character. Her code name is her actual name

No, call her Jessica. They never call her Jessica in Luke Cage. They just say "rebound" or "girlfriend" or whatever. Say her name argh why is it so hard to say her name.

Wow, the last few issues of Abe Sapien were fantastic. So many revelations. It felt like we would never fully understand who or what Abe is and what his true purpose is. While it's hard to say what his final decisions will be when the time comes, they really pulled the curtain back, which surprisingly explained another long time mysterious character's origin too. Not sure if anyone else reading the mignola stuff is caught up on this series buttt for future reference, here are my thoughts....

So the oldest human part of Abe was the shaman priest who sunk the mignolaverse Atlantis, which has turned to the left hand, calling on the power of Oannes to do so. Holy shit lol. Makes so much sense. The fact this all tied into and fully explained Shonchin's origin though, right as he turned back up in both this & BPRD, brilliant. I never saw that coming. For awhile, I thought Abe would stay on earth as it transforms, and the last humans would go to England to weather the rebirth of the world, but that's both Abe & BPRD name checked Hyperberum , which is *elsewhere*, potentially a different realm of existence...or space?? And with the visitor mini series coming up soon....if anyone survives between Hell On Earth and whatever is next, I have no idea where they're going to do so.I really liked the return to the mermaid from the three wishes. Even if it was just to take another player off the board and step one step closer to the end, it was another great use of older material to enhance the story and the mythos. It was great to see Alice again too, and what England has become.

I guess the only thing I don't quite get right now is how
Saint Sebastian, which btw again, great call back
became so twisted. If
you compare the shaman's use of Oannes as an ultimate power of light, versus how fucked up and twisted things are there, and how Oannes gave Strobl the power too? I'm not sure I get why. Maybe just because things there are so fucking tainted from the horror events of the drowning, I don't know if there'x more to read into there.

Overall, a fantastic send off to a very thoughtful series, and just an absolute must read if you're invested in the greater lore of the universe and what's going on in BPRD. Don't read it too early though, try and read it around End Of Days. Multiversity ordering helps give you a rough idea. I'd say Abe Sapien was one of the very few mignola series that you really do want to jump between with Hell ON earth every three volumes or so, oppose how you could get away with reading huge swathes of HB then Plague Of Frogs etc. Definitely more tightly integrated towards the end there.

Finally question is, does Abe arrive at the BPRD in time to help the gang in the finale to Hell On Earth?? And will he even be fit to do so? I haven't saw anything that implies he's been present for Cometh The Hour so far

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Damn is Resident Evil 4 - fucking amazing masterpiece

I knooooooooooow. It's not like I'm throwing my computer in the trash when it happens but it's like a rock in my sock.
Oh, I actually agree. I am sick of hearing of the devil of hells kitchen, just say Daredevil ffs, thats his name.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Oh cool maybe I should check that out. I end up using a mishmash of book sites i purchase from like amazon etc but their results can be really finicky, sometimes straight up wrong or with stuff missing. It's especially hard to find things I'm not necessarily looking for too like ogns or minis, just coming across new things that I might want to check out.

It lists all comics and trades coming out by publisher per week. If you do check it out, let me know if you think it's good or not.

Freeza, Killer Frost disappeared from the listings for next week.

Pretty sure I told you that was going to happen. If you want to know what the official release date is currently, always check here before putting any stock in the date Diamond gives you.

Collecting statues seems to be an exercise in frustration.

Well, if you like committing to spending large sums of money on items with fluid release dates, have I got a hobby for you!

Damn, BPRD: Cometh The Hour is SAVAGE, especially issues 145 & 146.
Kate, Panya & Iosef (which the dagger Hellboy killed Satan with no less..
. Can't really say much more than that, just an absolutely brutal account of the last days of man. I have no real idea how this is all going to end, and I'm starting to think we might not even have a clear grasp until the beginning of the next thing, but damn. Roll on the 16th.

The only thing I come back to is the photograph from King Of Fear. Kate, Panya and even Hellboy appeared there, and it's not like Mig, Arcudi & co. forgotten it, we finally had Devon working out this arc, another piece of the puzzle. We got a whole series out of how Abe looked in that photograph. #146 felt like an issue dedicated to the weight of those deaths, but who knows how this all shakes out. Varvara tells Iosef that the knife will shatter his soul across the universe. Well doesn't Johann have the infinite within arms reach? And he DIDNT appear in the photo. Maybe there's something there.

Just finished LOW Vol. 3. This is such a dark book, but I can't get enough of it.

Looking forward to catching up on this at some point. Always surprises me how much I look forward to it.

I bought 48 boxes, in 2 lots of 24 because I'm dumb and there's way too many games coming out right now anyway. I have all the skins except Monster Roadhog now, but I got a quite a lot of Legendary currency drops so I bought a good few of the Epics.

I bought 48 boxes, in 2 lots of 24 because I'm dumb and there's way too many games coming out right now anyway. I have all the skins except Monster Roadhog now, but I got a quite a lot of Legendary currency drops so I bought a good few of the Epics.

Blizzard said Overwatch would be free after the initial purchase. But they knew exactly what they were doing.

Top Bottom