• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2016. Capes, Crime, Bondage, and sometimes Overwatch.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
What do you mean?

I think what he's saying is, and feel free to correct me Boxy, is that those people don't read something like God Loves Man Kills and realize that it's not just talking about a fictional guy that hates fictional mutants.

Though it does look like he's calling out your reading comprehension, I don't think that's what he was going for.

Freezeplies - Freeza's late replies to old posts

This fucking industry keeps throwing women to the harassment mob instead of standing with them. They're all guilty of it, but Marvel, and specifically Alex Alonso, have been especially cowardly when dealing with that shit. Maybe it's bad business to say creepos aren't welcome. I could give two fucks. It's the right fucking thing to do.

I'm assuming that creepos make up a good quarter of their audience, at least.

Bendis' response has been so tone deaf, it's sad.

https://twitter.com/BRIANMBENDIS/status/791147360235782144

This legit makes me fucking angry. That's like his best defense is saying "She's not with us." Marvel and DC both do this shit. Instead of defending the person they fucking hired, they throw them to the mob.

WTF are people even mad at her for? Making an awesome Mockingbird book?

Cover for Mockingbird #8

I thought it was a great cover. But motherfuckers have to take everything they don't like personally.

Burning garden weasels!

Today's the kind of day where you just have to ask yourself, "Why am I still associating myself with these monsters?"

I don't think being a comics fan makes you guilty by association. You have no control over what other people do.

People, when given the illusion of anonymity, often suck, particularly when a platform serves to give them a megaphone when in real life no one would really care what they think and would quickly dismiss their views as hateful and small minded.

There should be some kind of asshole test you have to take before you're granted a pass to use the internet.

Has anyone been picking up these Michael Moorcock Elric library editions that Titan have been putting out? I think the third one is out today.

I've seen the novels before, but I never read them. Was similarly disinterested in the comics. Is it fantasy? I don't really read much in that genre anymore.

JC
ru7VdDr.gif

Post if you're OK
9EATVOS.gif

I'm so excited. The music is absolutely amazing as well:
Invincibility Theme
Studiopolis

It's a sonic game in 2016. You know how this is gonna go.

2017, actually. The simple fact that Christian "Taxman" Whitehead is involved is as close to a guarantee of this being great as it gets.

Freezeplies - Freeza's late replies to old posts

I've seen the novels before, but I never read them. Was similarly disinterested in the comics. Is it fantasy? I don't really read much in that genre anymore.

Yea, it's pretty old school fantasy in the vein of Conan, maybe a little weirder and more sorcery-ish. The comics themselves are 80s era, not sure quite how old the actual novels are. Adaptations by Roy Thomas & P Craig Russell. Mostly interested because Mignola talks alot in his foreword/afterwords in the HB collections about being heavily inspired by Moorcock because of the nature of his heroes often being doomed from the outset. There are much newer Elric comic adaptations but I know little about those either,

Also, in case it got lost in the shuffle at the bottom of last page - Isola! Karl Kerschl put it up on his twitter in response to the interest their WW anniversary issue preview has been getting. Coming next year at Image:

Finally caught up on Paper Girls and this arc has definitely elevated it from 'Holy cow this is one of my favorite comics right now' to 'Holy cow, this is the best comic out right now, period'.

Stoked to pick up Outcast and Saga tonight

Sandfox

Captain America Steve Rogers #6: Nick Spencer continues to write and explain the happenings of Civil War 2 better than Bendis.

Rick Jones even says
"Why don't they just watch Minority Report?"

Also, in case it got lost in the shuffle at the bottom of last page - Isola! Karl Kerschl put it up on his twitter in response to the interest their WW anniversary issue preview has been getting. Coming next year at Image:

GIVE IT TO ME NOW

That art looks very reminiscent of Saga.

Remember when Kipp used to reply to like 30 posts from 15 pages back.

Who is this Kipp guy? Is he the dude that suddenly became obsessed with Godzilla toys and left us?

She deleted her twitter.

Good job comic bros.

God dammit.

She wrote novels and was respected in that medium. All of a sudden she writes a comic and everyone wants to jump on her. I'm probably gonna make a thread on this cuz this shit is shameful.
What is this whole fiasco about.
Chelsea Cain, the writer for Mockingbird, got harassed on twitter for her final issue. She deleted her account and people like Bendis are not doing enough to help.

Haha I know right? I remember back at the image expo they mentioned that they were aiming for a ghibli vibe too. I could get Nausicaa or Mononoki in different ways from that, as well as the delicious saga feels .

Maybe it's the color palette, but it definitely looks like art for a new Saga arc or something.

TheFlow

Banned
She wrote novels and was respected in that medium. All of a sudden she writes a comic and everyone wants to jump on her. I'm probably gonna make a thread on this cuz this shit is shameful.

Chelsea Cain, the writer for Mockingbird, got harassed on twitter for her final issue. She deleted her account and people like Bendis are not doing enough to help.
Damn. Women get it rough on Twitter. I think there is a OT thread about Twitter harassment on the first page.

If you do I'll collect some of the tweets by people who actually stand up for her and deserve to be comic role models like Busiek and others.

If you do I'll collect some of the tweets by people who actually stand up for her and deserve to be comic role models like Busiek and others.

But why is it never the people at the top who have big company roles? They're too afraid of offending the assholes and come out with these lukewarm responses that try to please everyone.

Tizoc

I'm so excited. The music is absolutely amazing as well:
Invincibility Theme
Studiopolis

2017, actually. The simple fact that Christian "Taxman" Whitehead is involved is as close to a guarantee of this being great as it gets.

Messi shouldn't talk about what they don't know :V
...but yeah I got faith in Taxman more than than anything and so far this is hitting all the right vibes.

Speaking of which, this one is releasing in November-
kUrkzEF.jpg

psDnT5t.jpg

X3

Gonna pre-order it soon.

But why is it never the people at the top who have big company roles? They're too afraid of offending the assholes and come out with these lukewarm responses that try to please everyone.

Pretty much. Alonso never came out protecting Bennett and he or others won't come out now.

Sandfox

David Walker is about to beat some people up over the Cain thing.

In terms of big company roles you're never going to see them comment on matters like this via twitter.

VanWinkle

It's a shame she left now. I was looking through her mentions on Twitter and for the past four hours at least (hundreds of tweets; didn't feel like scrolling forever), she received zero harrassment and TOOONS of support.

TheFlow

Banned
It's a bit of a generalization. A (seemingly sizeable) portion of the comic audience consists of garbage people. Same with the gaming community, or anything else that has traditionally been male-dominated.
Pretty much. GAF has it pretty bad to when it comes to people harassing/dismissing women in the industry

Tizoc

Re: The Mockingbird news
Ooof, well I'm sad to say that this has news has gotten me interested in reading the series now.

Kireon Gillen wrote the Thor series after JMS right? Time I gave it a re-read.

Also Ep. 1 of Batman Telltale is Free until Nov. 7th or whenabouts on Steam & Google Play, so give it a play if you're interested.
http://wwg.com/2016/10/25/batman-episode-1-being-offered-for-free-on-steam-google-play/

Having just beaten it, I want to read Batman Year One aka James Gordon Year One
Gordon-Article-3.jpg

Vic_Viper

Anyone reading Seven to Eternity here? Completely missed the first issue coming out last month. How is it so far, worth picking up or wait for the trade?

Also really looking forward to this ResurXtion lineup. Cable, generation X, and Blue & Gold are exactly what I wanted to see Marvel do with the X books. I really hope the books can live up to my expectations though. All I want is for Marvel to just get back to the 90s style for these books and forget about the stupid Inhuman bs in my X books. Seriously wish Comixology would release the original Gen X books. Or really I'd like an Omnibus from Marvel.

Top Bottom