• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2016. Capes, Crime, Bondage, and sometimes Overwatch.

Bloodshot USA poising itself to be the event of the year and keeping up Valiant's flawless event record. Though, Divinity III starts in December and just off the one-shots, that's showing promise.

Spoiler for #1:
I'm not ready for Bloodjak/Ninshot @_@

So, Vision #12... not really a spoiler, but I'll tag it anyway.

Another Vision book in spring, huh? Looks like Tom Taylor, Jordie Bellaire, Clayton Crain or Clayton Hentry, and Gabriel... something?

ElNarez

Banned
This fucking industry keeps throwing women to the harassment mob instead of standing with them. They're all guilty of it, but Marvel, and specifically Alex Alonso, have been especially cowardly when dealing with that shit. Maybe it's bad business to say creepos aren't welcome. I could give two fucks. It's the right fucking thing to do.

This fucking industry keeps throwing women to the harassment mob instead of standing with them. They're all guilty of it, but Marvel, and specifically Alex Alonso, have been especially cowardly when dealing with that shit. Maybe it's bad business to say creepos aren't welcome. I could give two fucks. It's the right fucking thing to do.
Bendis' response has been so tone deaf, it's sad.

https://twitter.com/BRIANMBENDIS/status/791147360235782144

Yesterday I finished reading X-Men: Battle Of The Atom and... it's freaking weird lol.

I can definitely see why it's such a polarizing story-line. Most of the future "Not X-Men" characters motivations make little sense and all this time travel shit just made me confused. Also, Raze totally feels like some sort of fan-character.

When I reached the middle of the book I just though "fuck it" and tried to not really think about it and just enjoy the cool pictures. At the end of the day I did have fun reading it but, as a whole, this storyline is just a mess. And it seems the "Not X-Men" are trapped in the past too? I don't remember seeing anything about them after this event so I guess Bendis just forgot about it.

Anyway, it's OK.

To end it, Cyclops is right and Wolverine is an ass for no reason. Let it go dude, Xavier is dead.

ElNarez

Banned
if you're a woman and you say you're a feminist online a bunch of dudes will just show up and try to drive you to suicide, because that's a thing we're cool with as a society

mreddie

Chelsea Cain ‏@ChelseaCain 10h10 hours ago
...P.S. you guys have some serious problems w/ your industry & the way that people think they have the right to talk to another human being.

This quote sums harassment women get in any piece of media and it's fucking sad. And wow Bendis, you tone deaf dick.

mreddie

What's the shirt?

And holy, that Bendis reply is triggering me.

portrait_incredible.jpg

Wasn't there a rumor about Bennett being kicked off Angela and the book ending early due to Marvel getting a ton of these sorts of comments after the Bor issue?

It was probably just sales.

Sou Da

Stever Rogers #6 is Spencer passive aggressively pointing out everything that's wrong with this event and then making a big joke at it's expense.

Hell he even brought up a great argument about Tony that Bendis didn't even touch on.

mreddie

Yesterday I saw a thread saying Jeremy Whitney shouldn't be at Marvel to write some "Tumblr Justice Bullshit" and I just laughed but little did I know...

Also, Bennett got made fun of for walking with a cane at NYCC...Bennett is disabled and needs it.

Cover for Mockingbird #8

Very sad to see. While I'm behind on Mockingbird (have all the issues), I really enjoyed what I did read. It's frustrating to see Chelsea Cain harassed over it and it's even more frustrating to see creators just go "yeah it's comics".

Ugh...

The fucking Internet man. Gamergaters, 4chan idiots, Trump supporters, YT comments, the list goes on. It's all a damn harassment brigade.

Is it just me that's more disturbed by the fact she mentions that her daughter is aware of this stuff? I mean, certainly, that is uncool for Cain, but at least (and it's not much) as a grown woman she has certain mental barriers to help cope with it. Her kid seeing stuff like that online at such a young age though is just depressing. She's only 11, she'll likely grow up with the expectation that it's half way normal people will behave like that online (which I guess more depressingly, is actually true as of right now). If they do so towards her mother, a successful lauded writer, why not? That makes me kind of sad.

kmfdmpig

People will be shitty regardless, but Twitter could do a much better job of minimizing harassment and banning users who exist only to harass others. Twitter seems like an awful platform in that regard. I wonder if more and more people who users want to hear from come to the conclusion that Twitter's not worth it if Twitter will finally take harassment more seriously. They've been paying lip service to it for years, with very little to show for that alleged interest in fixing it.

mreddie

Is it just me that's more disturbed by the fact she mentions that her daughter is aware of this stuff? I mean, certainly, that is uncool for Cain, but at least (and it's not much) as a grown woman she has certain mental barriers to help cope with it. Her kid seeing stuff like that online at such a young age though is just depressing. She's only 11, she'll likely grow up with the expectation that it's half way normal people will behave like that online (which I guess more depressingly, is actually true as of right now). If they do so towards her mother, a successful lauded writer, why not? That makes me kind of sad.

Sadly, the new gen (born after 2004) sees this and think it's the norm, it really isn't but then you see what's going on with the election, trash talk in sports, and just the web and despite people coming in and saying "Don't say it.", it's kinda sad some think this is just the way it is.

People will be shitty regardless, but Twitter could do a much better job of minimizing harassment and banning users who exist only to harass others. Twitter seems like an awful platform in that regard. I wonder if more and more people who users want to hear from come to the conclusion that Twitter's not worth it if Twitter will finally take harassment more seriously. They've been paying lip service to it for years, with very little to show for that alleged interest in fixing it.

And that's why Disney and Google said "We're not gonna save your ass."

I think at very least, in the end if nothing changes, you end up with twitter profiles from professionals that are private, or profiles run by a handler to field it for the person, and no longer this pretty cool open platform where you're interacting with them via their own actual personal account. I'm always amazed by how open comic writers, artists etc are to chatting with fans, and answering questions etc.

Sadly, the new gen (born after 2004) sees this and think it's the norm, it really isn't but then you see what's going on with the election, trash talk in sports, and just the web and despite people coming in and saying "Don't say it.", it's kinda sad some think this is just the way it is.

That's a really hideous thought man :/ My boy is only 8 so he's not really reached that point of online interaction or anything yet so it's nothing I've had to consider from that angle yet, but it's a really terrible thing.

kmfdmpig

I think at very least, in the end if nothing changes, you end up with twitter profiles from professionals that are private, or profiles run by a handler to field it for the person, and no longer this pretty cool open platform where you're interacting with them via their own actual personal account. I'm always amazed by how open comic writers, artists etc are to chatting with fans, and answering questions etc.

I agree. There is obviously a PR benefit to being on Twitter, but if the downside is constant harassment then it's not going to be worthwhile for most people.

Messi

Yesterday I saw a thread saying Jeremy Whitney shouldn't be at Marvel to write some "Tumblr Justice Bullshit" and I just laughed but little did I know...

Also, Bennett got made fun of for walking with a cane at NYCC...Bennett is disabled and needs it.

"how did you get disabled" I believe was the quote

Since she's being discussed btw, I can't comment on Mockingbird, but I read a really funny story recently that Cain did for the Hellboy Winter Special. She really nailed the voice of HB, Liz & the prof, but it had this great comedy angle to it that the books don't normally lean into so much. It was pretty heartfelt too in what it was getting at. Was really appropriate for a small short story, and she made me consider that she'd probably write a really good Liz or actually maybe Fenix mini series.

At least as far as the disability stuff goes - definitely uncool, but also that's not just comic fans unfortunately. It never stops astounding me the general public's capacity to ask and say inappropriate things in the wrong time and place about people's disabilities that they have never met before.

My (not) favourite is when they choose to ignore the disabled person and ask people that are assisting them, as if the person with the disability isn't there at all. (This would not be the best subject for me to get into ha)

kmfdmpig

Today's the kind of day where you just have to ask yourself, "Why am I still associating myself with these monsters?"

People being shitty isn't limited to comics though, which is what I think Bendis meant to say (although he did not do communicate it well).

Gaming is obviously just as bad, if not worse.

Sports fandoms are just as bad, if not worse.

Movie fans are similarly bad.

People, when given the illusion of anonymity, often suck, particularly when a platform serves to give them a megaphone when in real life no one would really care what they think and would quickly dismiss their views as hateful and small minded.

Messi

It was that and people thought she was trying to act superior and posh with her cane. Who knew canes were made to help people walk?

To be fair... She did look stylish as fuck. But fuck those guys.

Also these tweets around con season

Please don't come to my table and begin "I'm not a feminist, but I like your books!"

You impress no one. You disappoint all.

"Hi, I don't think you should have the right to vote or equal protection under the law, but I love stories about people who think you do!"

go away

go into the sea

These tweets give me life. She is wonderful.

People being shitty isn't limited to comics though, which is what I think Bendis meant to say (although he did not do communicate it well).

Gaming is obviously just as bad, if not worse.

Sports fandoms are just as bad, if not worse.

Movie fans are similarly bad.

People, when given the illusion of anonymity, often suck, particularly when a platform serves to give them a megaphone when in real life no one would really care what they think and would quickly dismiss their views as hateful and small minded.

And yet I feel like if comics were to be abandoned tomorrow, if it gave these shitheels even a second of discomfort, it might be worth it.

kmfdmpig

And yet I feel like if comics were to be abandoned tomorrow, if it gave these shitheels even a second of discomfort, it might be worth it.

I hear you. I take comfort in knowing that those living in the US will feel discomfort in 2 weeks as they realize in a bold way that the country/world do not share their stupid views.

Top Bottom