• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2016. Capes, Crime, Bondage, and sometimes Overwatch.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
pull list for today

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers #8
Judge Dredd #11
Chew #59
Saga #39
Seven To Eternity #2

Detective Comics #943
Hal Jordan And The Green Lantern Corps #7
Suicide Squad #5
Titans #4
Wonder Woman #9

Captain America Steve Rogers #6
Civil War II #6
Extraordinary X-Men #15
Guardians Of The Galaxy #13
New Avengers #17
Nighthawk #6
Silver Surfer #7
Star Wars #24
Star Wars Poe Dameron #7
Totally Awesome Hulk #11
Ultimates #12
Vision #12

I'm not a fan of the book but seeing this, I hope the trades sells well and I hope she has future projects with Marvel. It's great the target audience was happy with it.

ElNarez

Banned
I feel like the problem with comics is that it's an industry that is small enough that you can see the full scope of the rot that's plaguing it.

You see it in Alex Alonso doing whatever he can to not have to take a stand for women, people of color or the LGBT community.

You see it in the retailers who say women on tumblr aren't real comic book fans, while their gatekeeping keeps them away from their shops.

You see it in Brian Michael Bendis, saying "it's not comics", when, very obviously it is.

You see it in the countless cases where stories of harassment are ignored at best and heavily downplayed at worst, while the predators they're about still thrive.

You see it in Frank Cho making a mint doing the same doodle of a butt that says "you will never be seen as more than meat I want to jerk off to" to the women who see them.

It is there, in full view, in a way bigger industries can afford to hide. But comics, you know how it goes. They'll break your heart. Especially if they think your heart needs to be broken.

I feel like the problem with comics is that it's an industry that is small enough that you can see the full scope of the rot that's plaguing it.

You see it in Alex Alonso doing whatever he can to not have to take a stand for women, people of color or the LGBT community.

You see it in the retailers who say women on tumblr aren't real comic book fans, while their gatekeeping keeps them away from their shops.

You see it in Brian Michael Bendis, saying "it's not comics", when, very obviously it is.

You see it in the countless cases where stories of harassment are ignored at best and heavily downplayed at worst, while the predators they're about still thrive.

You see it in Frank Cho making a mint doing the same doodle of a butt that says "you will never be seen as more than meat I want to jerk off to" to the women who see them.

It is there, in full view, in a way bigger industries can afford to hide. But comics, you know how it goes. They'll break your heart. Especially if they think your heart needs to be broken.

Sad, but thank you m'man

tim1138

Sad, but true. And much more eloquent than my attempts at a similar sentiment that kept devolving to "fuck comics, fuck internet nerd culture, burn it all to the ground!"

ElNarez

Banned
the bright side, because, there is one, however dim, is that comics are too good, too powerful, to be ruined by the moral collapse of the corporate chain

so, hold on to that

Greatly put.

Simone talked a bit more about women in comics.

"Comics need to stop being political. My favorite X-Men story is God Loves, Man Kills."

Fucking LOL. Someone actually typed that in the KiA forum.

Boogiepop

Well, that all sucks and is a downer, but I don't really have anything to add that hasn't been said.

In brighter news, I just read the entirety of Vision in one sitting (I hadn't read any of it yet and had picked up through 11 via sales and stuff, so I just held off till this last issue was out to read it). And yeah, that was really, really, really good.

BTW, will reading Champions spoil me on Ms. Marvel if I've only read it up through the Last Days trade/before the new #1? I would've caught myself up on that first, but the dumb Champions sale on Comixology for some reason stopped way short on catching up on Ms. Marvel, leaving me in an awkward situation where I'd need to pay full price for like 6 issues to be caught up. Bleh.

Owzers

I hear you. I take comfort in knowing that those living in the US will feel discomfort in 2 weeks as they realize in a bold way that the country/world do not share their stupid views.
i will bring this up again when trump is president and mockingbird, who is such a nasty woman, is still canceled.

Well, that all sucks and is a downer, but I don't really have anything to add that hasn't been said.

In brighter news, I just read the entirety of Vision in one sitting (I hadn't read any of it yet and had picked up through 11 via sales and stuff, so I just held off till this last issue was out to read it). And yeah, that was really, really, really good.

BTW, will reading Champions spoil me on Ms. Marvel if I've only read it up through the Last Days trade/before the new #1? I would've caught myself up on that first, but the dumb Champions sale on Comixology for some reason stopped way short on catching up on Ms. Marvel, leaving me in an awkward situation where I'd need to pay full price for like 6 issues to be caught up. Bleh.
Not really. Doesn't even spoil the fact that there are two Novas on Earth now.

Parker luck is rough, but goddamn Harry's life is just shit. Dude thought he was dating MJ but she's not interested, ODs on pills, has a psychotic dad... wew.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I feel weird, since I just read comics and enjoy them if they're good.

I couldn't give a rats ass about whether there's some "agenda" or other such shit

People truly are pathetic

kmfdmpig

On a happier note - I started reading Power Man and Iron Fist thanks to a few recommendations in here, and I'm quite liking it.

Thanks again for the recommendation!

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Today's the kind of day where you just have to ask yourself, "Why am I still associating myself with these monsters?"

That's why y'all are the only comic readers I really talk to.

Vision 12

I loved it. I loved that it brought it all back to the house, I love that it wasn't some knock down, drag out fight. I love that the dog came back. Just exactly what I wanted.

Ms. Marvel

Did I pay an extra dollar for a Red Widow preview I have no intention of reader? That sucks.

Sorcerer's Supreme

Really liked it.
Loved the relationships that the different sorcerers have, love Young Ancient One. Sad that this might be the only Wiccan that we get in a book anymore, but I suppose that it's better than nothing.

Sorcerer's Supreme

Really liked it.
Loved the relationships that the different sorcerers have, love Young Ancient One. Sad that this might be the only Wiccan that we get in a book anymore, but I suppose that it's better than nothing.

This sounds good! It measures up well against the main book then? Would you say the tone is any different?

Tizoc

JC
ru7VdDr.gif

Post if you're OK
9EATVOS.gif

VanWinkle

This IS a comics problem, but it's an INHERENT comics problem. Why? Because this is one of the only entertainment mediums that feed off of long-lasting characters that have fans throughout decades, and different writers and artists working on those characters that have fans from different time periods. So if a internet-rage-loving fan of Mockingbird, a character they may have loved for a long time, sees a writer give her a position that they don't like, they'll be quick to hate. Is this okay? No, but that's the problem with close-minded people, and those who don't like their comic characters taking a stance on something.

How often do you see internet outrage on a feminist or other "outlier" character on a brand new Image title? Because that would be the closest comparison to writing a new novel based on characters nobody knows. I don't excuse peoples disgusting behavior. But I do think there's something to Bendis saying "it's not comics" in that giving a character in a comic a certain stance doesn't necessarily mean that people was bring out the pitchforks. It depends on the context, and the character. Of course, he should have brought more elaboration to it than a dismissive comment.

ElNarez

Banned
I did not get why DC were hyping up Liam Sharp so much, but there's a sequence in the latest Wonder Woman he plays about as perfect as can be played, and it's so beautiful it brought tears to my eyes. Guy is fucking legit.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
This sounds good! It measures up well against the main book then? Would you say the tone is any different?

I'd say it's fairly similar. Strange is definitely has the same struggles that he's been having since the end of the last days of magic, and the other supremes note that he doesn't seem to have much magic in him.

Dalek

I fucking hate the internet sometimes. I can't stand that hateful people think their opinion is valid because they were given a platform via Twitter.

tim1138

I did not get why DC were hyping up Liam Sharp so much, but there's a sequence in the latest Wonder Woman he plays about as perfect as can be played, and it's so beautiful it brought tears to my eyes. Guy is fucking legit.

He has a nice little two pager that he wrote and drew in the 75th Anniversary anthology as well. I haven't read all of my books from this week yet, but that anthology is my favorite book so far this week. It's so much fun.

He has a nice little two pager that he wrote and drew in the 75th Anniversary anthology as well. I haven't read all of my books from this week yet, but that anthology is my favorite book so far this week. It's so much fun.

I hope they collect it some how. A lot of great talent on it, quite a few things I'd like to read, especially the fletcher/kerschl story

tim1138

I hope they collect it some how. A lot of great talent on it, quite a few things I'd like to read, especially the fletcher/kerschl story

I can see the Rucka and Sharp stories being collected in a trade for their run and the Renae De Liz story being collected with the rest of the Legend of Wonder Woman stuff. But the rest of it? You're probably better off just buying the book, it's $8 for about 75 pages of content.

I can see the Rucka and Sharp stories being collected in a trade for their run and the Renae De Liz story being collected with the rest of the Legend of Wonder Woman stuff. But the rest of it? You're probably better off just buying the book, it's $8 for about 75 pages of content.

Haha I suppose I was thinking about it more the way round of "what could they add to 75 pages to flesh this out into a nice little trade" but you're right, they're just as likely to split the stories out where they can.

How often do you see internet outrage on a feminist or other "outlier" character on a brand new Image title? Because that would be the closest comparison to writing a new novel based on characters nobody knows. I don't excuse peoples disgusting behavior. But I do think there's something to Bendis saying "it's not comics" in that giving a character in a comic a certain stance doesn't necessarily mean that people was bring out the pitchforks. It depends on the context, and the character. Of course, he should have brought more elaboration to it than a dismissive comment.

The actual context to the conversation was Chelsea Cain saying comics brings out the cruelty in people and Bendis responding it's not specifically comics. The fact that they kept chatting after the fact about the abuse creators get, I don't think he was trying to downplay or dismiss the abuse she was getting.

Sandfox

I'm not a fan of the book but seeing this, I hope the trades sells well and I hope she has future projects with Marvel. It's great the target audience was happy with it.
She said a while back that she's working on two ongoings for Marvel.
"Comics need to stop being political. My favorite X-Men story is God Loves, Man Kills."

Fucking LOL. Someone actually typed that in the KiA forum.
I see people say the same thing about Captain America. Comics have always been political, but now you have people getting upset over the dumbest things.

I'm actually enjoying this recore game. It has some serious slowdown and it's not a looker but it has a really old school 3d platforming feel and the general art style mixed with the music makes for a fun experience. I reckon with a bigger budget and more time, they could do things with it next time. It keeps reminding me of Ori too but I'm not sure if that's just because it's a slightly left field metroidvania from Microsoft than any specific similarities, they must occupy the same part of my brain. Plus the robot dog is cute!

She said a while back that she's working on two ongoings for Marvel.

I see people say the same thing about Captain America. Comics have always been political, but now you have people getting upset over the dumbest things.
Reading comprehension is a motherfucker.

Top Bottom