• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2016. Capes, Crime, Bondage, and sometimes Overwatch.

shingi70

Banned
Deadman: Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love #1

Ok this was a solid start, the art was great, dialog was cool, and DC is showing the LBGT some love in this mini series.

The coolest part about this is the mystery of it, kinda gives off crimson peaks vibes.

For all my Mignola fans out there I would definitely recommend this.

4/5 I think deadman can carry his own solo

Have you read The Paul Jenkins dead man story from the start of the new 52. It's on sale under DC Presents.

Not sure if an ongoing could work, but maybe gave a line of these prestige format series by different writer artist pairs.

TheFlow

Banned
Have you read The Paul Jenkins dead man story from the start of the new 52. It's on sale under DC Presents.

Not sure if an ongoing could work, but maybe gave a line of these prestige format series by different writer artist pairs.

I have not in fact, it looks interesting, and DC gotta keep the mini series coming.

I'm the exact opposite. I can tolerate a couple of his songs, and cannot tolerate his writing. Both are ultra derivative in the end.

Savage. I cannot get behind the idea that Way's writing is ultra derivative, even if we were to agree it was not good, but I appreciate your honesty anyway. What is comics but a tragic comedy.

CuMIGPDXYAIvoTo.jpg

Okay, who's the writer?

Assuming this isn't a mini, 12 issues at the absolute maximum

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
That looks awesome. Cates is the guy who worked on Ghost Fleet right? I never got to checking it out, but I'm really digging the art for this. I mean, battling otherworldly creatures...Image can describe it as being similar to American Gods if they like, that doesn't sound similar, but what it does sound like is potentially awesome. I can get behind images like this:

It's Rumble if Rat Trap ever got his body back and moved to Texas.

It's Rumble if Rat Trap ever got his body back and moved to Texas.

Haha, I won't lie, Rumble was the first thing I thought of, and the second I thought was the world needs more books like Rumble.

Also, had images turned off on my phone when I was typing up that Lucifer stuff, but I guess they showed this, thought they might have made a bigger deal. Looks who's coming to visit!

Reaaally interested to see more of Mother Panic. Or Cave Carson. Or any of any of them!! Good art. Not sure if I dare click the link for the song though...

Malyse

"A story called "Resurrexion" will follow IvX."

What.

"White talked about Deadpool, and his now departing Mercs For Money who are spinning off into their own titles. The three "Deadpool family" titles are Solo, Foolkiller, and Slapstick."

What.

"Now D'Lando is giving the room a "math lesson," adding Deadpool and Howard the Duck into "Deadpool the Duck," a new series that combines the two characters."

What.

I'm starting to hate deadpool.

Speaking of!
spider-man-s-new-costume--194230.jpg

What happen to new costume?

mreddie

"Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur #15 will feature RiRi Williams, a.k.a. Ironheart"

YES.

"Alex Wilder from the Runaways is back, following his return in Avengers Undercover working with Baron Zemo."

YES.

"A fan asked about whether there would be a new Runaways book on the heels of the news of a Hulu show. "It's inevitable we'll do some new iteration of the Runaways someday... I don't know when, but I'm sure we will some day," Brevoort said."

YESSSSSS!

"Zub asked Brevoort if they could have a new Cloak and Dagger series. Brevoort said they were talking about those characters earlier this week."

YES.

Runaways have to be back to drive home the Youth movement. Duckpool is trash.

Malyse

Runaways have to be back to drive home the Youth movement. Duckpool is trash.

I would love to have YA, Runaways, and Champions all running at the same time.

And let's get some of the Avengers Arena/Undercover kids back in play.

-----

Young Animal is going to be that thing that everyone else loves that I hate, isn't it?

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

-----

Young Animal is going to be that thing that everyone else loves that I hate, isn't it?

Not everyone.

Sandfox

-----

I don't really think the Young Avengers can come back because the more popular characters have moved on to bigger things.

mreddie

-----

Champions is basically YA while Runaways I think will be something different as the kids have gotten older and some are still reeling from their own shit.
I swear to fuck if Vic is still dead once Vision is over...

Shade was eh but Doom Patrol was sick.

Ross61

I feel like we should've gotten some Justice League Action news. Considering it's supposed to be premiering this month? Well, still two days left.

Duress

I bought the 1st volume of Neal Adam's Batman. When Neal Adams was at the convention. I could have bought the omnibus from him with autograph. :(

shingi70

Banned
Must be CN. The creators already got a few episodes done and said they were just waiting for CN to give them a timeslot.

It has to be more than a few at this point. CN has a weird scheduling system and I can't see them purposely screwing JLA over when they have quite a few series ending soon.

Champions is like YA if YA had characters anyone gave a shit about.

:|
YA the first run was hugely popular and successful. It stalled due to the delays and other commitments

Give it 5 years and Marvel will take all these promising young characters and make them kill each other for....reasons. Man marvel hates their young heroes so much.

I'd like to say they're changing but I'm not convinced yet

Savage. I cannot get behind the idea that Way's writing is ultra derivative, even if we were to agree it was not good, but I appreciate your honesty anyway. What is comics but a tragic comedy.

He openly admits in interviews that he's aiming for the whole Grant Morrison/Rachel Pollack thing. I don't know why it's a bad thing to emulate your favorite writers. I imagine he'll eventually better establish his own lane.

I mean...
After that, I went back when they started reprinting [Doom Patrol], and I read all the original series from the Sixties. Those early Doom Patrols were also a big influence on Umbrella Academy as well. One of the things that I took away from re-reading all of the runs is that every writer came in, and every artist came in, and they did their own take; they did their own thing. I think my starting point was Grant's material, and then the further I got into the process, I started to draw from all of the continuity and all of the writers' runs. I have every issue of Doom Patrol that ever existed, so there's great things about everybody's run, and I'm trying to incorporate all of them.

TheFlow

Banned
shade the changing girl #1

Like Doom patrol it took me some time to process what I read but once everything clicked together I liked it.

This book is definitely weirder than doom patrol, so warning to you normal folk out there.

4/5 2/2 so far young animal <3

Messi

that's yours? man that's dope

Yup. Super pleased with it.

That's great...love when people incorporate the logo into the sketch.

Yeah so do it. Love that she did that.

Here's a question, should I get Rico her colorist to color it? He's doing that at the show.

Today, during the question-and-answer portion of Screen Gems and Lakeshore Entertainment's New York Comic Con panel for their upcoming film Underworld: Blood Wars, Kate Beckinsale — who plays vampire warrior Selene in the vampires versus werewolves franchise — was asked about a crossover with Blade (a.k.a. Eric Brooks), Marvel's most powerful vampire hunter.

"No. We had that idea. No," Beckinsale replied before dropping some tantalizing Blade information. "They're busy. They're doing something with Blade."

post-30345-Wesley-Snipes-Blade-gif-Succes-u6Va.gif

Contact him. Pay the man.

I'm seeing so many YAs on this page. Young adult. Young Avengers. Young Animal.

I've only read the first Doom Patrol relaunch title, but it did absolutely nothing for me on any level. I actually love intellectually stimulating, complex books. My job involves sifting through data and identifying trends for predictive analysis. I enjoy tough reads.

I cannot abide deliberately obtuse, purposefully challenging content that feels like it was worked into that state...for what? Hooks are crucial to growing readership, as is ramping up the challenge factor. People are defending the use of onomatopoeia like they have a clue how, or even if, it will play out in the story. Spoiler: it won't.

I can think of very few literary works that intentionally work against the reader early on. And even fewer that are worth the effort of were remotely successful. Italo Calvino comes to mind, and I can't even deal with his approach. Post-modernist narrative can work, but it takes a fucking spectacular writer to nail it. Gerard Way is no Italo Calvino. I've read his books and his lyrics. He doesn't have the chops.

All that to say, no. You will almost certainly not be alone in hating Young Animal.

I've only read the first Doom Patrol relaunch title, but it did absolutely nothing for me on any level. I actually love intellectually stimulating, complex books. My job involves sifting through data and identifying trends for predictive analysis. I enjoy tough reads.

I cannot abide deliberately obtuse, purposefully challenging content that feels like it was worked into that state...for what? Hooks are crucial to growing readership, as is ramping up the challenge factor. People are defending the use of onomatopoeia like they have a clue how, or even if, it will play out in the story. Spoiler: it won't.

I can think of very few literary works that intentionally work against the reader early on. And even fewer that are worth the effort of were remotely successful. Italo Calvino comes to mind, and I can't even deal with his approach. Post-modernist narrative can work, but it takes a fucking spectacular writer to nail it. Gerard Way is no Italo Calvino. I've read his books and his lyrics. He doesn't have the chops.

All that to say, no. You will almost certainly not be alone in hating Young Animal.

Well said. I am giving it one more issue to come together but my thoughts align closely with yours.

Still planning to give em all a fair shake, of course. Haven't read Shade yet.

VanWinkle

Guys, I am wondering about something. I just saw that there are TONS of two-issue stories about various characters/series under the Convergence branding for DC. here is the CMX link. Are some of these good? I had no idea this was even a thing remarkably, despite knowing Convergence was an event and there were some tie-ins.

Boogiepop

Well, this could of course change depending on how things develop overall, but I finally got around to reading the first issue of the new Doom Patrol, and I rather liked it. Definitely on board, at least for now.

Did you read Shade?

Messi

Guys, I am wondering about something. I just saw that there are TONS of two-issue stories about various characters/series under the Convergence branding for DC. here is the CMX link. Are some of these good? I had no idea this was even a thing remarkably, despite knowing Convergence was an event and there were some tie-ins.

Harley Quinn Convergence #1 was insultingly bad and made my blood boil. Fuck that fucking issue and everyone involved.

Well said. I am giving it one more issue to come together but my thoughts align closely with yours.

Still planning to give em all a fair shake, of course. Haven't read Shade yet.

That's fair. Doom Patrol may be a ridiculous outlier for the label, but Way is pimping it as the flagship book. And, well, ugh. First impressions matter, and this one is grating as hell.

Did you read Shade?

You just replied to my post where I said I've only read Doom Patrol. I owe Shade a fair chance. But I'm reading people say it's even less beginner friendly than Doom Patrol. And Doom Patrol is among the least accessible comic #1s I've ever read.

You just replied to my post where I said I've only read Doom Patrol. I owe Shade a fair chance. But I'm reading people say it's even less beginner friendly than Doom Patrol. And Doom Patrol is among the least accessible comic #1s I've ever read.

Shade is way new reader friendly than Doom Patrol. The only confusion is with the aliens.

Top Bottom