• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2016. Capes, Crime, Bondage, and sometimes Overwatch.

Foofaraw

FUCK YES! It is nice for him to come out and outright say it.

I know everyone is excited for more Coates Black Panther. I just hope they give him whatever title he wants to play with whenever he decides he doesn't want to write BP anymore.

That's fair. Doom Patrol may be a ridiculous outlier for the label, but Way is pimping it as the flagship book. And, well, ugh. First impressions matter, and this one is grating as hell.

You just replied to my post where I said I've only read Doom Patrol. I owe Shade a fair chance. But I'm reading people say it's even less beginner friendly than Doom Patrol. And Doom Patrol is among the least accessible comic #1s I've ever read.

Have you read the original Shade? It is worth the price of admission. Beautiful, bizarre visuals and peak 90's Milligan.

Pm

I'll have another on Sunday. I'll pm it to you ok?
Cool!

In other news. Gears 4 is really really good so far. It's the stupid cheesy fun game I forgot how much I missed. Been playing on PC and getting real good performance. The one downside seems to be another game by MS that is obsessed with convoluted card pack nonsense.

Foofaraw

Just read Black #1.

Ehhhhh. I really like the concept, but the book itself is not very good. Probably wait for a trade or huge discount for the next few. The premise has tons of potential, it just feels very poorly executed.

Ross61

Power has been out for a few hour while this hurricane persists, so I'm getting caught up on Wonder Woman. Loving it so far.

mreddie

latest
Okay, I'm blanking on the homage, which is this?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
At the risk of getting a "lol that shitty clone?" reply, have you tried any Paladins yet freeza? Im hearing a lot of good stuff, shameless clone of Overwatch or not.

Granted im an old man and I come from a time where we didnt mind our million fighting games all copying each other for example. You younglings seem to have more of a problem with that these days.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Is that the Overwatch game with horses

I don't see the problem, mounted combat is rad

There's no mounted combat, you just use mounts to get from the spawn point to the action quicker from what I've seen.

TheFlow

Banned
Lol yah gotta chill on Young animal. We got 2 issues so far from the brand and a couple of you guys are already tripping. the books are not meant for everyone. So if it wasn't for you cool, but the books are going to do fine whether you like them or not.

Tl;dr insert old man yells at cloud gif

Ross61

This hurricane has knocked out the power in my neighborhood, and probably most of the city too, but it's allowed me to get caught up on my reading. Not the best trade-off but meh. I'm good till my phone and iPad batteries die.

Deadman was pretty dope. it has a pretty slow start but the gothic art is beautiful so it carries you through anyways.

Also has that anachronistic vibe that i love, you'd think it was set in the 50s if the character didn't bring up gender naming conventions lol.

Just read Black #1.

Ehhhhh. I really like the concept, but the book itself is not very good. Probably wait for a trade or huge discount for the next few. The premise has tons of potential, it just feels very poorly executed.

Just finished it and I agree for the most part. Nice to read a book in B&W that isn't Walking Dead, though. Getting to be a rare thing.

The story beats of the first half were strikingly similar to...
The Matrix
? Then it falls off a cliff.

Finishing Whedon's Astonishing made me really want a good goddamn X-book. Fuck.
Some Detective Comics news:

Batwing (Luke Fox) is coming back:
CuLpEy8XYAQ7rDd.jpg

The Victim Syndicate, people who have been caught in the crossfire of Batman and his villians fights, are the next arc's villains:
CuLpEy_XEAAWieU.jpg

(And they look goooooddddd!)

Harper Row and Jean Paul Valley will show up in the next arc. Julia Pennyworth is also returning.
Man they're really working to fill the Tim void, aren't they? I think Luke would be a pretty good fit.
Am I the only one here still reading International Iron Man?

Bendis is doing such good work in this book. It is such a damn shame that it is hard to follow standalone.
I stopped after the issue that ended with them actually showing Tony's mom. I was like, "that's it?" Same reason I stopped with Invincible Iron Man. That second arc felt like nothing happened.
Wiccan, Hulking, Stature, Kate, America?
Patriot
Harley Quinn Convergence #1 was insultingly bad and made my blood boil. Fuck that fucking issue and everyone involved.
I remember liking it. THe payoff in #2 was worth it. So I thought.
Jeph Loeb On Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. & Netflix Crossover: ‘Stay Tuned’ - Screen Rant
https://apple.news/ATGLhs3uBPBmBqSPyaUQldQ
Interesting. That's all I can really say. I haven't watched the most recent episode, but S4's been okay as is. Didn't have as strong of a start as S2 or S3.

He openly admits in interviews that he's aiming for the whole Grant Morrison/Rachel Pollack thing. I don't know why it's a bad thing to emulate your favorite writers. I imagine he'll eventually better establish his own lane.

I mean...

I don't know why emulating or being inspired by another writer/s is a bad thing either, but you initially said ultra derivative, which I think we can both agree has a negative connotation, especially since you kind of walk back here but in your next post to Echo you kind of go back in haha. If we can't agree that's what you meant by it then I don't really have any interest in debating what your word choice means rather than his writing itself. Like I said man, I don't agree but I respected your honestly on it (I thought it was funny that we were vice versa on the music/writing).

Don't know if anyone saw it, but I thought it was quite cool, cbr did a top videogame comic books and they gave Dark Horse's Witcher series the nod. There aren't a lot of good video game adaptations, but I quite like Tobin's work on the witcher, especially the first mini, House Of Glass. Geralt's adventures work quite well as series of mini series, & the central story idea is really cool in the first book. Second book was a bit more meh, but still decent. Querio's art is pretty awesome too.

Ross61

Now I know why I like the Victim Syndicate designs so much. They look like they're unused Tokyo Ghoul characters.

Also, Julia Pennyworth is going to be in Batwoman(in addition to Detective Comics I mentioned earlier).

Now I know why I like the Victim Syndicate designs so much. They look like they're unused Tokyo Ghoul characters.

Also, Julia Pennyworth is going to be in Batwoman(in addition to Detective Comics I mentioned earlier).

They look suuuuuper fucking cool haha. Did we figure out who actually did the designs?

I was going to comment on that list of video game adaptations; that Witcher comic must be really good because there have been a few good ones. But...god. cbr. I can't even look at it anymore, it burns my retinas

I was going to comment on that list of video game adaptations; that Witcher comic must be really good because there have been a few good ones. But...god. cbr. I can't even look at it anymore, it burns my retinas

You should definitely entertain the first volume to see what you think man, I don't want to say too much but there's something I reaaally like about the storytelling that mini but it's very central to the plot. It definitely put Tobin on my radar, want to check out Colder next. It's not incredible though, I don't want to give you the wrong impression.

The only other book I think I can comment on from that list is the last of us book. It is cool with REALLY nice art but it's extremely slight as a story, typical tie-in media issue, Left Behind & the main game already fill in most of the story so it's really just filling in smaller gaps. I love Hick's art though.

And yea, CBR :/ list list list haha.

Witcher books are the only video game books i've bothered reading (well, that doesn't really count since it was a fantasy series before the games haha). Love the universe and the game trilogy.

Good to hear the comic series is pretty dope too, i overlook licensed comics (except when mad max came out, bought it just to collect really) but i will definitely get on that series ASAP

My only worry is how they've been doing for dark horse. They went straight to digital with the latest series over floppies, and the announcement to release was very abrupt.

damn, i like collecting physically. the first arc is in print tho right?

and speaking of video game comics was Silent Hill any good? I saw an omnibus kicking around at the comic store. I love the first 3 games and I think you could do some wonders with the art in that world.

edit: apparently it's basura. lol oh well.

damn, i like collecting physically. the first arc is in print tho right?

and speaking of video game comics was Silent Hill any good? I saw an omnibus kicking around at the comic store. I love the first 3 games and I think you could do some wonders with the art in that world.

edit: apparently it's basura. lol oh well.

Yea, the first and second series both came out physical and have had trade release (the trades are pretty nice, vol 1 has an amazing mignola cover). I assume after digital the new series will get a trade. I hope.anyway haha

I believe the new series is actually set after wild hunt too.

Good morning! Just had a long training pass and about to grab a bite.

BC talked with Peter David.

All I can really say about Peter David is I stuck with the dark tower collections for like 10 volumes because I really liked the art and seeing that world visualised, but he really didn't do a good job of capturing the voice of the books imo even if the general feel is there through the art and the simple act of adapting the story. A lot of the writing was lacklustre, and there were a few genuine errors in there too. I remember feeling kind of pleased when they announced he'd work on them but came away very disappointed. That artist line-up though.

Foofaraw

Good morning! Just had a long training pass and about to grab a bite.

BC talked with Peter David.

So, it is pretty much exactly what I thought? Glad he took the time to explain this. Peter David, still a good dude, confirmed.

Edit: @Donnie, his X-Force run is pretty great. Most of his X-stuff is at bare minimum serviceable, which is better than I can say about most of the current X-lineup.

So, it is pretty much exactly what I thought? Glad he took the time to explain this. Peter David, still a good dude, confirmed.

Edit: @Donnie, his X-Force run is pretty great. Most of his X-stuff is at bare minimum serviceable, which is better than I can say about most of the current X-lineup.

I read 2-3 of the X-factor investigations stuff after House Of M finished up, and quite liked them! That's why I was pretty pleased, but the writing was so meat and potatoes on the dark tower, and to adapt the dark tower, I really feel like you need a strong strong writing style there. Maybe he was tied editorially in terms of what he could do, who knows (I dropped off after the Maleev volume).

Foofaraw

I read 2-3 of the X-factor investigations stuff after House Of M finished up, and quite liked them! That's why I was pretty pleased, but the writing was so meat and potatoes on the dark tower, and to adapt the dark tower, I really feel like you need a strong strong writing style there. Maybe he was tied editorially in terms of what he could do, who knows (I dropped off after the Maleev volume).

Have you ever read an adaptation that left you satisfied? On some level, I don't know why people bother with creating the things. They always feel like the video game adaptation to a movie of the comics world. It seems like movies get a bigger pass on the adaptation front because the creators are allowed to make new plots, and just use properties. Straight adaptations never seem to go well.

Have you ever read an adaptation that left you satisfied? On some level, I don't know why people bother with creating the things. They always feel like the video game adaptation to a movie of the comics world. It seems like movies get a bigger pass on the adaptation front because the creators are allowed to make new plots, and just use properties. Straight adaptations never seem to go well.

I don't actually disagree with this in the slightest, and probably a better thought than my own. Rather than focusing on that it isn't a very good a good adaptation, it's probably better to sayit was futile to try in the first place, or they should of done something new or told from a unique viewpoint or in a unique way that suits a comic book. I guess the best viewpoint to consider it from is in terms of did it capture enough for a new audience, people who just won't read the book, or play the video game etc. I REALLY wouldn't recommend anyone read the dark tower comics than read the books, but if I hadn't read the books, would it be a good substitute? I think I'm too bias for that assessment.

Although on that note, my partner won't read Horns but I did convince her to watch the movie since it's on netlfix now. I kind of wish I hadn't bothered haha I'm not sure she even nearly got what I got out of the novel, and now that's her definitive interpretation of the story if I bring up the book.

Messi

Lol yah gotta chill on Young animal. We got 2 issues so far from the brand and a couple of you guys are already tripping. the books are not meant for everyone. So if it wasn't for you cool, but the books are going to do fine whether you like them or not.

Tl;dr insert old man yells at cloud gif

That's one way to dismiss people's concerns. Sorry you don't like seeing people who didn't totally love everything about it.

TheFlow

Banned
That's one way to dismiss people's concerns. Sorry you don't like seeing people who didn't totally love everything about it.
What are you talking about it? Some of the posters were jumping the gun so I told them to chill fam?

But yea if one issue got yah concerned then lol

So hop off my dick ayye

TheFlow

Banned
Deadman was pretty dope. it has a pretty slow start but the gothic art is beautiful so it carries you through anyways.

Also has that anachronistic vibe that i love, you'd think it was set in the 50s if the character didn't bring up gender naming conventions lol.
Yea it was slow despite being double issues. I feel a good deadman story will come from it though

TheFlow

Banned
No need to be insulting

hop off.

Raven #1
Hell yea this actually delivered. but warning it does spoil what happened in Detective comics. I love Raven interactions with muggles.

I think this is a good series for anyone curious about Raven daughter of Trigon.

4/5

Messi

hop off.

Raven #1
Hell yea this actually delivered. but warning it does spoil what happened in Detective comics. I love Raven interactions with muggles.

I think this is a good series for anyone curious about Raven daughter of Trigon.

4/5

Wow. Toxic.

Top Bottom