• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2016. Capes, Crime, Bondage, and sometimes Overwatch.

Someone asked for a mod comment: There is no official spoiler policy on GAF. Generally, for spoilers about the content of a recent work, if a mod notices, we'll edit in spoiler tags. I probably won't do the same for the emotional reaction to a book.

What you wish to do with the emotional reaction to that work is up to you personally and this community. Together, you will find your own equilibrium.

Someone asked for a mod comment: There is no official spoiler policy on GAF. Generally, for spoilers about the content of a recent work, if a mod notices, we'll edit in spoiler tags. I probably won't do the same for the emotional reaction to a book.

What you wish to do with the emotional reaction to that work is up to you personally and this community. Together, you will find your own equilibrium.

This
disappoints me tremendously. I'm devastated.

;)

Messi

Hmypb.gif

Keep doing what you are doing person who pm'd a mod.

Zombine

Banned
You guys don't have to worried about Zombine I'm a ginger and thus have no soul so you won't get any emotions from me.

If we can't agree on this, we're going to get closed lads. That a mod has stepped in should be seen as the nuclear option. We're on notice now, folks.

We've been over the spoiler policy multiple times for over a year at this stage. The GIF reviews thing is just a symptom of certain people here wanting special snowflake treatment.

We go back to gifs. Gifs keep us sane and controlled.

/rageintensifies.gif

I'd blame all this on one person, but that's unfair to Silly Monkey. He wanted to change his name and his request was granted. He was as shortsighted as Hank McCoy when he brought the original X-Men to our modern world. No good was ever going to come out of that.

Now we're out left with a potential Trump presidency, spoilers, reaction gifs, shady PMs to mods, Messi possibly leaving the community (again) shortly after taking over thread-making, and Marvel Now 2.0.

Silly Monkey is at fault, sure. But comics are also to blame. Burn them all and let's relegate them to the digital world of 1s and 0s where they belong.

Messi

Well you could always just try to find a middle ground using the opinions of regulars.

Sick of trying to find a compromise only for people to keep doing it.

Im just going to go back to not talking about it like we all had done until someone messaged a mod.

If we can't agree on this, we're going to get closed lads. That a mod has stepped in should be seen as the nuclear option. We're on notice now, folks.

We've been over the spoiler policy multiple times for over a year at this stage. The GIF reviews thing is just a symptom of certain people here wanting special snowflake treatment.

Nah, it's nothing that serious. Someone asked for spoiler clarification. I've given what we enforce. The rest is up to y'all.

Nothing anywhere near nuclear here unless the discussion goes in a bad way.

Well you could always just try to find a middle ground using the opinions of regulars.

Pretty much this.

I will give a side-eye towards those who do not follow our Lord and savior.
8597734916_0660010884.jpg

Nah, it's nothing that serious. Someone asked for spoiler clarification. I've given what we enforce. The rest is up to y'all.

Don't lie! Just seeing the red letters in your name feels threatening, Mr. Marvel-Hating Williams.

This feels like the time Trump received an intelligence briefing and asked senior military leaders why we don't use the nukes we have. Comics GAF is not long for this world.

If you are thinking that it was me you are wrong.

Your guilty conscience is interesting, but I am placing all blame squarely on Silly Monkey. He's the hero Comics GAF deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him. Because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight.

Sandfox

Sick of trying to find a compromise only for people to keep doing it.

Im just going to go back to not talking about it like we all had done until someone messaged a mod.

Because there doesn't seem to be any actual rule for the community outside of the one week thing and said rules would need to be enforced.

Because there doesn't seem to be any actual rule for the community outside of the one week thing and said rules would need to be enforced.

Get out of here with that defeatist attitude. If Montreal can ban pit bulls, we can ban spoilers.

It's going down, I'm yelling timber
You better move, you better dance
Let's make a night you won't remember
I'll be the one you won't forget.

The X-books are boring. What's missing? Cyclops.

Coincidence? I think not. Team Cyclops.

I was reading through a lot of my MU backlog today, and got excited to see Cyclops front and center in All-New X-Men. Yeah...not the same. :/

Messi

Pretty much this.

I will give a side-eye towards those who do not follow our Lord and savior.
8597734916_0660010884.jpg

Cyclops is a scumbag and i hope he gets what is coming to him again. Fuck him and fuck his supporters.

TheFlow

Banned
Man I swear if Tragic pmed the mod..

But you gotta post more around here MH. We know you read comics.

I am looking forward to putting on the team cyclops Avy next week

Also guys luke cage might be better than daredevil.. Like damn.

-flow out

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Also guys luke cage might be better than daredevil.. Like damn.
From the guy who said up until Winter Soldier that Iron Man 2 was his second favorite Marvelmovie:

In this order:

Daredevil S02
Luke Cage
Jessica Jones
Daredevil S01

#ControversialOpinion

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I am just reading Judge Dredd but the book is even while its fun not that what I expectet and I am a little bit disappointed.

That said, the short Backupstories in the end are amazing.

Man I swear if Tragic pmed the mod..t

The power of suggestion, I like it!

Don't worry. I only PM mods when people stalk me in multiple threads and try to bully me, even when I ask them to knock it off. But you already know that.

It really doesn't anymore. Now you just have to post gifs.

I'm just going to reference gifs instead of actually posting them. It's the best of both worlds. I'm using words to describe gifs to describe my emotions. It's like Inception, only really dumb. So just like Inception.

/isaidbiiiiiiiitch.gif

Messi

Don't worry. I only PM mods when people stalk me in multiple threads and try to bully me, even when I ask them to knock it off. But you already know that.

I'm just going to reference gifs instead of actually posting them. It's the best of both worlds. I'm using words to describe gifs to describe my emotions. It's like Inception, only really dumb. So just like Inception.

/isaidbiiiiiiiitch.gif

You follow a guy one time and you get branded like this...IT WAS ONLY ONE TIME.

TheFlow

Banned
I'll try to post here more often. I always mean to, but I dropped out of doing so when game review season started to pick up. My last official comic reviews were back in May.

Really need to get back on a regular comic review schedule, but games take so much time!
Bruh now is a good time now that marvel is relaunching some books. I rarely play games now that I got into comics

TheFlow

Banned

/isaidbiiiiiiiitch.gif
Boi if you don't stop your crying. Middle age man getting punked by a kid? I hope not lol :p

-flow out

So outside of playing waaay more DQVII than planned today, and of course watching comicsgaf gif itself apart, I did find the time to sit down and enjoy Hellboy: Wake The Devil as part of my current #HellbOctober #jumpinguillermos reread. Thoughts follow:

- There is an immediate difference felt in Mike taking over the full script. Even though this is volume 2, I don't think it's the first time after SoD was Byrne because they shuffled some shorter tales that came out between the two series to volume 3, but regardless this is the next major step in HB, and the first in a lot of ways, primary the writing. Mignola hits the ground running and the Hellboy we all really know and love is born. Lots of short funny one liners from Hellboy, I particularly love the scene between HB and Giurescu's father. As the old man/skeleton scuttles around uttering some frankly bizarre stuff at this point in the books, and Hellboy "yeah, okay"ing it the whole way through. There's a good few moments throughout the book too where I think "oh okay this is the feeling the movie wanted to grab hold of" both with the nazi occult stuff popping up again which isn't really a big thing in later books, but just the early comradery between HB, Abe & Liz. The movie runs in some different directions with the characters, but this feels like the fertile ground they started from.

- Kate is great. Even here in her small beginnings, Mignola makes Kate a cool character, it's no surprise she eventually came to be a big part of the BPRD title. I love her line too "so much for history, folklore is more interesting". It feels like a catch all for Hellboy, and Mignola's inspirations as he goes. Equal parts history, folklore, and run through pulp adventure. The folklore really comes out here too over volume 1.

- Edward grey is referenced for the first time and spoilers,
even seen for the first time in his present day incarnation, even if it's not obvious at that time
. All those little pieces they come back to and run with.

- Other things that appear for the first time. Zinco. Project Vampir Sturm. Roger! I really appreciate the little anecdote at the end of the trade that explains the original intent of introducing Roger in this volume, but as it stands, it's a cool cameo. The references to Hyperborea & the first men, Hecate's appearence

- Back to the folklore thing, I really love the mix of myths from all sorts of different cultures that are drawn on. There's are elements of greek myth, norse myth, european folklore, and of course symbology of christian gods and devils. The way Mignola weaves it all together in a coherent fashion is amazing.

Overall, a fantastic second volume, and I prefer it to seed of destruction in a good few ways. There is a lot more of Mignola's patent style, and he really starts to work outside the box on this one.

You follow a guy one time and you get branded like this...IT WAS ONLY ONE TIME.

I mean, I realize we have a presidential candidate dropping "hints" that Obama is pro terrorism or something, but thinking before speaking is generally a good idea. "There's something going on here," doesn't cut it.

I'm on record a half a dozen times saying I don't give a shit about spoilers. I read all my Marvel on MU. I watch all my movies when they're available to rent or buy digitally. I can't think of the last good twist or storyline that wasn't spoiled for me. I put myself in those situations, so whatever.

I think it's shitty for someone to openly spoil a same day release or whatever, but that rarely affects me. I knew something major was going down on Deadly Class when I caught up, just like I know a tragedy awaits me in Saga. I'll live.

TheFlow

Banned
From the guy who said up until Winter Soldier that Iron Man 2 was his second favorite Marvelmovie:

In this order:

Daredevil S02
Luke Cage
Jessica Jones
Daredevil S01

#ControversialOpinion
Not finished yet but right now

First half maybe 2/3 of DD season 2
Luke cage.

Though once I finish I might change my mind since I just hit episode 7

edit: I still think winter solider is the best solo marvel movie.

Bii

I'll try to post here more often. I always mean to, but I dropped out of doing so when game review season started to pick up. My last official comic reviews were back in May.

Really need to get back on a regular comic review schedule, but games take so much time!

I don't blame you; I started getting back into video games again this past summer. Started Forza Horizon 3 and despite the technical mess, it's a fun and beautiful game.

Having read Deadly Class #22, I'm okay with the direction it's heading in.

TheFlow

Banned
I don't blame you; I started getting back into video games again this past summer. Started Forza Horizon 3 and despite the technical mess, it's a fun and beautiful game.

Having read Deadly Class #22, I'm okay with the direction it's heading in.
Best on solicits, Saya's backstory is going to deliver some crazy stuff.

Boi if you don't stop your crying. Middle age man getting punked by a kid? I hope not lol :p

-flow out

Crying? By calling out your misguided finger pointing? Okay. I'm 35 and will continue to comport myself as an adult.

I don't care for All-New X-Men at all. This book stinks. Are there any good X books? I feel I know the answer to this question.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Wait, why ARENT we spoiler tagging stuff?

At least for 3 days - 1 week until after they've released?

Top Bottom