• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2016. Capes, Crime, Bondage, and sometimes Overwatch.

Messi

fuck the police

dVwgK7K.gif

I'm the wrong guy to give you DC suggestions, since I consider Wonder Woman dull and Harley is the worst character in comics.

But there are some great female heroes in the Marvel lineup. Thor is particularly awesome. Ms. Marvel is great. Spider-Woman rocks. The Black Widow comic is pure fire. All-New Wolverine is money. Wasp drops soon. And I'm not even mentioning the rest of the X-Men lineup that many love.

I think Marvel has the female superhero game on lockdown.

Owzers

So Westworld was pretty interesting. Did any of you guys watch it?
I played overwatch and watched the first episode of last man on earth season 3, gotta watch the new ep soon. Westworld looks good though, I'll watch when I get HBO now next game of thrones season

Slight challenge for us comic gaffers.

A friend of mine here in Japan really wants to get into American comics but she doesn't know where to start. Especially with the fairly popular Harley Quinn from SS that released here the other week.

So what are some good stories that you guys recommend? Maybe one focused on Harley, but she is more interested in learning about the bigger named heroes. AHHH and Wonder Woman! When I was showing her various heroes she took a shine to Wonder Woman especially and wants to read her stuff. Female hero storylines or series would be welcome. She definitely wanted to know more about them when she realized there were more than she thought. Like... Birds of Prey, if any of their recent runs were good.

Her English level is pretty good but wanted to read the actual comics over watching and listening to the animated versions. So maybe something not too... filled with sciency nonsense/made up words as much as possible. Hopefully the compilations/completed story arc.

Was thinking:
Killing Joke (duh)
Green Lantern: Blackest Night (I LIKE IT OK! and I actually have it sitting in my house so easy for her to borrow)
.... Then I'm drawing a blank honestly.

Like I said I don't want to overwhelm her with the nonsense that comes with trying to get into American super heroes and GL is definitely that edge imo.

If anyone has a recommendation storyline for Wonder Woman (more recent would be good... because I want to catch up too lol, I kept up til about issue 20 in new 52 but lost interest), Justice League, Batman, ect.

Ahh and Marvel is fine too, but I have been keeping up more with DC in recent years so I have 0 clue what they are up too in their comics recently.
I'd be cautious giving her TKJ. That's like introducing a new manga reader to Berserk. The subject matter maybe too much for her.

Foofaraw

Was thinking:
Killing Joke (duh)
Green Lantern: Blackest Night (I LIKE IT OK! and I actually have it sitting in my house so easy for her to borrow)
.... Then I'm drawing a blank honestly.

Killing Joke has aged very poorly. Would not recommend a book that fridges a main female protagonist to drive forward the male character's story as an entry point to comics.

Blackest Night, wow. That's some comics ass comics and would scare me away quickly. It's not bad to like it, I think it is fun, but holy cow, it is not beginner friendly. A beginner can certainly read it, but there are better things to start with.

For Harley, Mad Love is the best bet. I find her character kinda toxic in new books, so I can't give much recommendations there.

I really enjoy the Rebirth Wonder Woman stuff. It has two different stories running by Greg Rucka. I've also heard a lot of good stuff about Rucka's earlier run.

I know you want newer stuff, but the old Dixon Bird's of Prey is some hot hotness.

Also, and I can't emphasize this enough, you can't actually catch up on all the comics in any line. You can typically pick up with any run and drop after it is done if you are so inclined. This may be different from her usual if she is into Manga at all. It's ok
just read good stories by authors you like, and drop it like a bad habit whenever the stories get crappy.

However, if you don't need capes, get Gotham Academy. It is the best.

Edit: Also, Killing Joke has weird BDSM. Get Sunstone for the good BDSM.

Messi

Killing Joke has aged very poorly. Would not recommend a book that fridges a main female protagonist to drive forward the male character's story as an entry point to comics.

Blackest Night, wow. That's some comics ass comics and would scare me away quickly. It's not bad to like it, I think it is fun, but holy cow, it is not beginner friendly. A beginner can certainly read it, but there are better things to start with.

For Harley, Mad Love is the best bet. I find her character kinda toxic in new books, so I can't give much recommendations there.

I really enjoy the Rebirth Wonder Woman stuff. It has two different stories running by Greg Rucka. I've also heard a lot of good stuff about Rucka's earlier run.

I know you want newer stuff, but the old Dixon Bird's of Prey is some hot hotness.

Also, and I can't emphasize this enough, you can't actually catch up on all the comics in any line. You can typically pick up with any run and drop after it is done if you are so inclined. This may be different from her usual if she is into Manga at all. It's ok
just read good stories by authors you like, and drop it like a bad habit whenever the stories get crappy.

However, if you don't need capes, get Gotham Academy. It is the best.

Edit: Also, Killing Joke has weird BDSM. Get Sunstone for the good BDSM.

Let me introduce myself. I am Messi. I read every issue of Catwoman new 52 and own all the Nocenti trades and digital issues. I also pull over 100 books a month.

If she's wild about the Joker then sure, give her TKJ.

That is not a book for someone looking for female superheroes lol.

mreddie

I'm the wrong guy to give you DC suggestions, since I consider Wonder Woman dull and Harley is the worst character in comics.

But there are some great female heroes in the Marvel lineup. Thor is particularly awesome. Ms. Marvel is great. Spider-Woman rocks. The Black Widow comic is pure fire. All-New Wolverine is money. Wasp drops soon. And I'm not even mentioning the rest of the X-Men lineup that many love.

I think Marvel has the female superhero game on lockdown.

The creative teams are superior to me than DC and really, DC is just banking on Harley ATM, ignoring Raven and I completely forgot about the other books.

Messi

The creative teams are superior to me than DC and really, DC is just banking on Harley ATM, ignoring Raven and I completely forgot about the other books.

The current Harley book would be terrible for someone concerned with understanding English and in particular made up words. That book is filled with nonsense words.

Boogiepop

Wait, damn, is They're Not Like Us dead? I'd been picking it up in trade, by I only just noticed that it apparently hasn't head a new issue in months. That sucks if so, as I was looking forward to seeing where it was heading...

Foofaraw

Let me introduce myself. I am Messi. I read every issue of Catwoman new 52 and own all the Nocenti trades and digital issues. I also pull over 100 books a month.

Did you read all of Batman books released to get to that point? This is the mentality I see some people with. Must read all of Avengers from the start before they read anything coming out. That sort of thing. I know you have a problem, Messi. I've contracted your Sejic flavored STI. I just haven't posted here in a few months and didn't post much to begin with. Nice OT, BTW.

That is not a book for someone looking for female superheroes lol.

It's a great book for someone who actively hates ladies getting involved in men's super heroes.

Messi

Did you read all of Batman books released to get to that point? This is the mentality I see some people with. Must read all of Avengers from the start before they read anything coming out. That sort of thing. I know you have a problem, Messi. I've contracted your Sejic flavored STI. I just haven't posted here in a few months and didn't post much to begin with. Nice OT, BTW.

It's a great book for someone who actively hates ladies getting involved in men's super heroes.

I am not an example. My way is not feasible in the slightest.

Glad to see you are still supporting Sejic. Great stuff out of him as always.

Sandfox

DC needs to step up their game when it comes to Black hero books. I still need to check out Teen Titans Rebirth, but I gave Cyborg a chance and never again lol.

Ross61

I dropped that book after the Rebirth issue and from what I've heard it was the correct choice. While DC has reduced the number of books they produce I would expect more from a publisher as big as them.

We're most likely getting more information on that at NYCC. Dan Didio was asked about the lack, and mentioned that there are 5-6 books coming from.

Just finished Luke Cage. God damn, good series. I don't know if I liked it as much as Jessica Jones, but it was definitely better than Daredevil S2.

She has heard of Killing Joke before so thats why I was thinking to get it to her. It's of course the most reviewed/recommend American comic here in Japan as well. (Not too big a fan of it myself personally)

And Gotham city sirens is what I was forgetting. Never read mad love, might do that just so I can read it too haha.

But thanks for all the mentions, I'll get to looking at some of the things mentioned (more importantly their availability on this side of the planet.) Another reason for wanting Harley nonsense is my actual students (around ages 13-15) have started seeing Suicide Squad as well, so they are all a buzz about her and Deadshot. Can't name a single avenger but know every member of SS lol.

Not a massive fan of her but shes the trend at the moment. Though I really enjoyed her pairings with Poison Ivy in particular (my favorite Batman villain) and sometimes Catwoman.

Her English level is pretty high (two years abroad America and Australia) and she likes more action manga here in Japan, Dragon Ball Z, Naruto, Jojo's ect. So something that is more action than plot would not end the world for her, but the opposite would not be bad either obviously.

So Westworld was pretty interesting. Did any of you guys watch it?

Can't wait to give it a spin, probably sit down and watch it this evening with the missus. Ed Brubaker is in the writers room for this show and I think his script is issue 4. I hope it works out for him, he's had a bit of a rough time with tv.

hat you guys recommend? Maybe one focused on Harley, but she is more interested in learning about the bigger named heroes. AHHH and Wonder Woman! .

Valkerion, Wonder Woman by Azzarello run? A nice, detached run with no tie-ins or any madness like that, it had a proper finished, consistent throughout. Could be good. It's 6 volumes, I'm not sure that length is a good or a bad thing though, for your needs?

OH, lol, you mentioned you lost interest in that run haha >_<

Batwoman might be a good shout, the Greg Rucka volume, Elegy, since we seem to be looking for DC female stuff. The recent batgirl run by Fletcher & Stewart was three volumes and wrapped up. Gotham Academy is about to start again, but that is reaaaally good, my favourite DC in fact.

Crying? By calling out your misguided finger pointing? Okay. I'm 35 and will continue to comport myself as an adult.

I don't care for All-New X-Men at all. This book stinks. Are there any good X books? I feel I know the answer to this question.
I really enjoy Extraordinary X-Men, but I'm not sure how much weight that has for you.
Ms. Marvel

This event is tearing one of my favorite books apart.

BENDIS YOU FUCK
Not Bendis' fault.
Maybe you'll dig it on those grounds alone. I won't spoil any plot details but there's a specific part of the premise Lemire sets up thy gives Ramos a lot to work with, lots of crazy pages and scenes. I'll say that in its favour.
He also had a cool plot point that ties in with Moon Knight.
Avengers vs X-Men was so shitty man. Like it started okay, then became so shitty that I didn't even bother to finish it. It devolved into some highlander shit once the Phoenix was reintroduced. Didn't they try to teach Hope King-Fu or something once she lost the Phoenix Force.
They taught Hope how to use chi in order to control the Phoenix. Then her and Wanda did a combo, because apparently Wanda's Chaos Magic is the opposite of the Phoenix. That somehow dispersed the Phoenix across the world, which reawakened mutantkind. And now the Phoenix is reawakening in Jean Grey.

I enjoy Extraordinary but I don't think TC would like it, just based on the books he likes

Moon Knight is super rad

That is all

Edit: how cool is it that we have a rad Moon Knight book in 2016

I enjoy Extraordinary but I don't think TC would like it, just based on the books he likes

Moon Knight is super rad

That is all

Edit: how cool is it that we have a rad Moon Knight book in 2016

Very cool! They've been trying for awhile, even been successful to an extent but it never seems to last, or stay consistent. Maybe that's just the nature of the character. They seem to have embraced it on a meta level within the fiction at this point, quite interesting. I really like the approach though of having bespoke volumes headlined by the writer and not the status quo of the universe, with their own take on the character, and usually receiving a proper finite end. Honestly the direction I would see most big two comics take, personally.

Read your review on Daredevil the other day btw. I haven't started the run yet but since it was more about the writing style/quality than any particular spoilers, I read it anyway, and it was a good thing, you gave me a strong impression of the series. I am in totally agreement btw, Daredevil have been a strong, strong contender for Marvel for a long time now (probably where they would like to get Moon Knight to in fact), and it's been about 99% consistent since Bendis kicked his run off way back when (diggle who?). Even Waid, which I would characterise as not being exactly what I do look for in Daredevil in certain ways BUT was so successful at doing something different, especially the art,it won me around 100%.

As far as Soule goes, I've actually not read anything by him as of yet, I don't believe. I have his Swamp Thing run earmarked to check out, that seems to be the thing people enjoyed most from him that aligns with my kind of thing as it were, but I've been very um and ah over checking his Daredevil run out. Even though it appears to return to a bit more of what I want from the book and it would be an exciting time to be reading a DD book (especially in a time of the television show), no one seems to be particularly excited by it, or beaming about it on a monthly basis. It also kind of makes me uneasy seeing that they're giving Bullseye and Kingpin their own books. Good characters for sure, but it may weaken the core book if characters Soule could draw on are *busy*.

Who knows man, maybe I'll jump in myself with volume 1 at some point, I've read everything else, I'll be keeping an eye out for impressions though. At this point I would have hoped things had picked up though.

Damion Scott's art is like Denny O'Neil's: really fun and energetic, but sometimes it becomes weird to the point of being incomprehensible.
Neat, I had no idea about that. I'll be checking out Moon KNight for sure when it hits trade, I'll keep an eye out for that.
I really like his Moon Knight. It's one of my favorite books to discuss on here and break down issue to issue. Aside from, oddly enough, Civil War 2.

But yeah, if you're current on Extraordinary X-Men run, then you're aware of
Moon Knight the Horseman.
I have a theory about who he is, as it's a major plot point in Lemire's Moon Knight.

Very cool! They've been trying for awhile, even been successful to an extent but it never seems to last, or stay consistent. Maybe that's just the nature of the character. They seem to have embraced it on a meta level within the fiction at this point, quite interesting. I really like the approach though of having bespoke volumes headlined by the writer and not the status quo of the universe, with their own take on the character, and usually receiving a proper finite end. Honestly the direction I would see most big two comics take, personally.

Read your review on Daredevil the other day btw. I haven't started the run yet but since it was more about the writing style/quality than any particular spoilers, I read it anyway, and it was a good thing, you gave me a strong impression of the series. I am in totally agreement btw, Daredevil have been a strong, strong contender for Marvel for a long time now (probably where they would like to get Moon Knight to in fact), and it's been about 99% consistent since Bendis kicked his run off way back when (diggle who?). Even Waid, which I would characterise as not being exactly what I do look for in Daredevil in certain ways BUT was so successful at doing something different, especially the art,it won me around 100%.

As far as Soule goes, I've actually not read anything by him as of yet, I don't believe. I have his Swamp Thing run earmarked to check out, that seems to be the thing people enjoyed most from him that aligns with my kind of thing as it were, but I've been very um and ah over checking his Daredevil run out. Even though it appears to return to a bit more of what I want from the book and it would be an exciting time to be reading a DD book (especially in a time of the television show), no one seems to be particularly excited by it, or beaming about it on a monthly basis. It also kind of makes me uneasy seeing that they're giving Bullseye and Kingpin their own books. Good characters for sure, but it may weaken the core book if characters Soule could draw on are *busy*.

Who knows man, maybe I'll jump in myself with volume 1 at some point, I've read everything else, I'll be keeping an eye out for impressions though. At this point I would have hoped things had picked up though.

I must say Moon Knight is a marvelous book that benefits tremendously from existing on its own private island. If they did an event tie-in or something they would ruin it. So it's in a very interesting place. I'm not sure how it sells, but does that impact the book's value to Marvel? How long does their confidence in the concept hold out? I think it's a good book to pay attention to even if you aren't reading it or if it isn't your style, since you value that sort of storytelling.

I looked over a list of what Soule has written and the only thing he's written that I've read for more than an issue (besides Daredevil) is Secret Wars: Civil War...which, incidentally, I did like very much. It's funny I always imagine he's more prominent than he is because he's had so much work thrown at him since he popped up. He really hasn't been around too long, in fact.

Anyway. I'm giving him a lot of time to find his path with DD because while I did fall in love with Waid's run as you did...I missed Darkdevil, man. And he brought back Darkdevil!! How could I not give him...like...at least 25 issues to make it a great book. I do think it has come a long way in eleven issues. I have high hopes despite not having much to base them on. Glad you enjoyed the review. :) I usually don't get too heavy with the spoilers in reviews unless there's some big deal going on that everyone is talking about.

...or sometimes if a book is really awful.
Daredevil Annual 1 for example was abysmal garbage and I think I black barred the entire book in a fit of despair
I can't really recall, the memory is mercifully fuzzy

Top Bottom