• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS|OT|October 2017- The only thing scarier than Messi's avatar are Marvels sales

Some Nobody

There should probably be two or three X-books at most. At this point, they're a snake eating it's own tail.

Impossible, I know, but much like whenever Marvel launches a book and a zillion spinoffs right away, why not make one or two REALLY GOOD core books, and then add a spin off if reader demand is there? Make one good Guardians book; don't launch Guardians and Rocket Raccoon and Drax and Starlord and Gamora all at once and then stand there scratching your head when none of the books gain traction. If the X-Men books are flagging, don't add yet more to the line up.

Two strong X-titles, staggered to give you a bi-weekly, and MAYBE Wolverine or something should probably be the limit. I suppose maybe a fourth if you want a learning the ropes / New Mutants-type / school thing, but you have to be careful with over saturation. It's not the 90s anymore, and the market clearly can't bear so many books.

On a personal level, the X-books have been floundering for a long time, now. I caught up on a lot of stuff during the big Amazon sale... the last status quo that was pretty okay was, to me, the San Francisco stuff. I kind of liked the vibe Uncanny had at that point, anyway. The misadventures of Wolverine as headmaster of the school a bit later were kind of fun, too, but I hate Cyclops being a bad guy (or dead!) or the "originals" running around.

I would like to see a return to having the school as a going concern, with the school staff and extended staff as kind of the strike team. Dunno about the X-Men Gold "the mansion is now in Central Park" deal- I didn't really feel particularly strongly about what I read. I'd also like to see Cyclops back and redeemed somehow, but baby steps.

Fraction's X-Men was the last time the team was really good. I understand Gillen did some decent stuff too that I have to read, but yeah Utopia was solid. I'd love to have an era like that again. But Bendis' era wasn't too bad surprisingly. Not great, but it handled that post-AvX era pretty well.

It's been rudderless after that, though. The post-SW, "All New" era sucked. The current era I don't care for either. They need stronger focus than what we have currently.

The Dawnbreaker One-Shot bothers me. So Bruce picks up a ring and is able to
destroy the entire Green Lantern Corps, Guardians included
because "he's Batman"? What kind of 13 year old fanfiction shit? lol this is why I hate Batman.

tkscz

200.gif

VeeP

The Dawnbreaker One-Shot bothers me. So Bruce picks up a ring and is able to
destroy the entire Green Lantern Corps, Guardians included
because "he's Batman"? What kind of 13 year old fanfiction shit? lol this is why I hate Batman.

I guess the idea is that his will is just that powerful. Don't worry, Hal will pull some shit out of his will and beat Dawnbreaker eventually, because it's been told again and again he's the greatest Green Lantern ever.

Give me my Kyle solo series goddamn it.

caliph95

I guess the idea is that his will is just that powerful. Don't worry, Hal will pull some shit out of his will and beat Dawnbreaker eventually, because it's been told again and again he's the greatest Green Lantern ever.

So a fanboy did write that

Some Nobody

There's a TPB featuring the beginning of Kyle's time being GL that came out just this week if I'm not mistaken.

And yeah, Hal isn't my favorite Lantern in any world. Kyle's the best, followed by Alan Scott and then everyone else is fighting for 3rd. But unless someone has a good vision for the guy, leave him on the shelf right now.

Need to get this off my chest : /

i've been dealing with depression for the last few years - its been pretty bad - and i've got fairly severe dyslexia and dyspraxia...and it's been really tough at times to make friends when people lose patience if you can't get your thoughts and words out etc or just make jokes about it.

Anyway, i've recently started to get help for it via my university and tell open up to my friends about it a bit more. For ages it's felt like I've been alone in this and basically...COMIC-GAF has been pretty awesome. I've loved comics for going on 10+ years now and in the last 3 years I've either stalked or been a member of Comic GAF and people have been friendly and we've had talks about comics and enjoyed things...and the Hawkeye Book Club turned me onto a great series!

It has helped me deal with things, and it's make a big difference and I wanted to say thank you < 3

Stay strong, Boss.

Malyse

I think the actual take away from Metal is that Bruce Wayne with literally any superpowers = evil
Aren't one of the aliens gl girl a teen by her alien standards and had a possibly icky relationship with Hal

Oh are we talking about that one time Hal bonked a 13 year old and everyone was just like, "okay that's cool"

Some Nobody

I'm actually surprised we haven't had a teen GL. The body doesn't matter when you have a ring.

lol, I wanted that as a kid but the more I thought about it the lamer it was. But there's hints of a Green Lantern of China in New Super Man that I hope happens.

Aren't one of the aliens gl girl a teen by her alien standards and had a possibly icky relationship with Hal

Arisia? Yeah, that was the "She's actually 700" of superhero comics. They kept going back and forth on it--she aged herself up, even though 13 in her planet's years was supposed to be like older in Earth years, I wanna say? It was stupid.

Aizo

Banned

i've been dealing with depression for the last few years - its been pretty bad - and i've got fairly severe dyslexia and dyspraxia...and it's been really tough at times to make friends when people lose patience if you can't get your thoughts and words out etc or just make jokes about it.

Anyway, i've recently started to get help for it via my university and tell open up to my friends about it a bit more. For ages it's felt like I've been alone in this and basically...COMIC-GAF has been pretty awesome. I've loved comics for going on 10+ years now and in the last 3 years I've either stalked or been a member of Comic GAF and people have been friendly and we've had talks about comics and enjoyed things...and the Hawkeye Book Club turned me onto a great series!

It has helped me deal with things, and it's make a big difference and I wanted to say thank you < 3
ComicGAF really is a nice community. You can message me any time you need someone to talk to when you’re feeling depressed. Hope you’re feeling well now :)

A little lttp but hang on there bro :)

I don't post much around here or gaf at all but I also have a constant battle with anxiety disorder so it's always nice to look around ComicGAF to have some fun.

Anything just keep us posted.

Some Nobody

I've been kinda quiet about this because I don't really know most of ya'll, but I do like how supportive you guys seem as a community. That's really cool.

Sandfox

I'm surprised that Marvel never did a Rogue and Gambit book before now that I think about it.

Spirits of Vengeance #1 was good and I enjoyed the first part of Worlds Collide.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
<3
Second Date on Friday, guys.

We are of to go to the Octoberfest (not the one in munich) and watching the firework afterwards D:

I'm surprised that Marvel never did a Rogue and Gambit book before now that I think about it.

Spirits of Vengeance #1 was good and I enjoyed the first part of Worlds Collide.

I hope its cancelled fast. They turn her into a total crap character around him. They could get Neil Gaiman to write this and I'd still fight this.

Sandfox

Batman and the Signal got delayed two months so now it's starting in January and Batman White Knight got another issue added on.

Some Nobody

I hope its cancelled fast. They turn her into a total crap character around him. They could get Neil Gaiman to write this and I'd still fight this.

That doesn't have to be true. But I'd like Rogue with Magneto more and Gambit has enough sex appeal to pull off chemistry with a fucking toaster, so it doesn't really matter who he gets paired with.

But right now we're stuck with all this old-school nostalgia stuff for X-Men. So bet on Cyke coming back just so we can get the Cyclops-Wolverine-Jean Grey love triangle, even though Cyke was infinitely more interesting with Emma.

Vic_Viper

Just noticed the Mojoverse event started with X-Men Gold today. Anyone read it yet? Is it like the last Apocalypse event with each book telling a completely separate story or is it one continuous stroyline?

Speaking of events starting today how is the Avengers #672?

Sandfox

Just noticed the Mojoverse event started with X-Men Gold today. Anyone read it yet? Is it like the last Apocalypse event with each book telling a completely separate story or is it one continuous stroyline?

It's one continuous storyline.

I enjoyed Avengers. I like what Waid is doing with the story so far and it's fun seeing the teams coming together given the relationships certain members have with each other from the past.

ITSMILNER

Was looking to pick up some trades of BMB's run on Avengers starting with New Avengers (Breakout) all the way till Hickman took over.

I want to read all his titles (New, Mighty, Dark etc...) and the events inbetween. I see they have some trades for the individual titles but have marvel released trade collections of all his titles printed chronologically?

Vic_Viper

So glad Nova is back in Guardians! They should have just made this Rich's first appearance back since the Thanos Imperative. I really need to read the rest of this Guardians run. Was going to wait for the trades but thats going to be awhile it looks like.

Anyone know when Marvel Comics NYCC panel is and if they are giong to Livestream it like DC is?

The discussion a few pages about about making an X-Men book into an "anthology" with shorter-run self-contained stories from various invited authors has wormed its way into my brain and got me thinking about how far one could possibly push that format. My current votes:

- A book centered around Quentin Quire as direct Grant Morrison stand in, written by Garth Ennis, who has been instructed to try and write as if he was Warren Ellis.

- An X-men version of the Kamandi challenge, only call it the Claremont challenge where writers try to make the most Claremont-y thing possible, end it on a cliffhanger, then pass it on to the next writer. Bonus points for horribly written accents and random cosmic stuff coming out of nowhere.

- DMX discovers he is a mutant with the power to summon dogs. And somehow has to fight MF DOOM. If you buy it digitally, it hijacks your iPad's speaker and plays X Gon' Give it To Ya on loop while the comic is open.

I haven't dived into X-Men but after a quick look at the first few pages it looks slow as fuck.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
The discussion a few pages about about making an X-Men book into an "anthology" with shorter-run self-contained stories from various invited authors has wormed its way into my brain and got me thinking about how far one could possibly push that format. My current votes:

- A book centered around Quentin Quire as direct Grant Morrison stand in, written by Garth Ennis, who has been instructed to try and write as if he was Warren Ellis.

- An X-men version of the Kamandi challenge, only call it the Claremont challenge where writers try to make the most Claremont-y thing possible, end it on a cliffhanger, then pass it on to the next writer. Bonus points for horribly written accents and random cosmic stuff coming out of nowhere.

- DMX discovers he is a mutant with the power to summon dogs. And somehow has to fight MF DOOM. If you buy it digitally, it hijacks your iPad's speaker and plays X Gon' Give it To Ya on loop while the comic is open.
I want this

Some Nobody

I love anthologies, as I want to see as many characters as possible developed into being more than they are. The problem is, apparently they never sell all that well. That's why DC eventually dropped those 8 page back-ups they used to do.

I'm really amazed Statue GAF doesn't fuck with the true masters of the action figure, Ashley Wood's ThreeA

Coolest design, articulation, boxes to die for.

What gives?

(And yes, I'm copping that first thing Thursday morning, lmfao)

Some Nobody

1/5 Gwen from Sideshow. $425.

NOW SHOW US SIIIIIIIIILK

Loosely related: Has anyone seen this new Spider-Man cartoon? Apparently Miles is in it and gains powers not long after Peter. I doubt he'll get to keep them, but it made me think about how the next Spider-Man cartoon should be Web Warriors: Peter, Miles, and Cindy Moon.

I'm really amazed Statue GAF doesn't fuck with the true masters of the action figure, Ashley Wood's ThreeA

What gives?

I remember when the OG version of that figure came out. I almost bought it but decided not to at the last minute. This looks cool, though.

Thanks for the welcome y'all. It's awesome to be apart of a comic club of sorts, I only have a few in real life friends to chat with in depth about this stuff, most lack interest or worry about getting addicted. You all seem rad.

As for the questions sent my way, I guess I should introduce myself more by answering them all.

- I like Blue Beetle. One of DC's stronger characters, I love every verison. I love him as Booster's bestie, and I love him as a teen trying to figure out his super space suit and I love the newest iteration's personality (though now I think about it, DC has a long ass history taking old mystic characters and giving their names to unrelated space/sci-fi based ones).

- Favorite series is hard, so many to pick, but I'll just name ones that I read from early age that got me into comics and I think hold up today:
Superman For All Seasons
Eastman and Laird's TMNT
Sensational She-Hulk
Howard the Duck
Haney's Brave and Bold
Animal Man
Doom Patrol
Savage Dragon (Okay, this hasn't aged well, but I love it to death)
...okay really I'm listing them off top of my head, but I love these a ton...

- Right now I'm reading Ostrander's Suicide Squad since I caught up on Copra, since that was heavily inspired by Ostrander's work. So far it's one of the best damn runs I've read. Besides that, everything Valiant (I <3 X-O Manowar). I've shifted to juggling DC, Valiant, and indie for the time being.

- I also picked up Marvel Legacy and I may drop Marvel besides writers I follow and any recommendations. Wolverine's return dissapoints me, espeically since I loved Old Man Logan (I prefer him to OG Wolverine). Too bad they squandered all the ways he was interesting. B.C. Avengers is badass though. I could list more compliants but spoilers and ramblings I don't think are wanted.

- Yeah, my username is reference to the 7Up Mascot. He deserves more love, man.
Doom Patrol, Animal Man, TMNT, She Hulk, and Copra? You're good in my book! I need to catch up on Copra myself but I really dug the first two volumes. Fiffe's art is wonderful.
I've been kinda quiet about this because I don't really know most of ya'll, but I do like how supportive you guys seem as a community. That's really cool.
A bunch of us have been around for years so we've been pretty close even if we don't all post quite as much as we used to. I'm always happy to see fresh faces in here. Spices things up.

Vic_Viper

What gives?

Pretty sure this is the first one ive seen from them, unless they did a Metal Gear statue too.

Looks awesome though! Whats the price?

Edit: $160, ouch

Top Bottom