• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS|OT|October 2017- The only thing scarier than Messi's avatar are Marvels sales

Pretty sure this is the first one ive seen from them, unless they did a Metal Gear statue too.

Looks awesome though! Whats the price?

Edit: $160, ouch

Not actually that bad for a 1/6 scale. Is the $160 for the white version? Because the original release was the same price.

caliph95

Captain Phasma:

Pilot is going to die isn't she hope not hope she rebels

I think this comic is definitely better read after the novel and does build from her character there

Dawnbreak:

*Bruce Wayne is so awesome and his will is so strong he broke the rings non lethal protocal and use abilities no else had as a kid and kills the entire corps and the cosmic powered guardians*

Oh fuck off with that shit

The rest of the issue is fine but I agree that I hope the tie ins don't get repetitive and be just about "Bruce faces strategy, gains or steal powers, becomes evil fights justice league counterpart"

Batman: White Knight

I'm already in but I'm going to ignore Twitter but I'm intrigued so far

First time I heard someone used sjw in a comic but there was that gumball episode

The discussion a few pages about about making an X-Men book into an "anthology" with shorter-run self-contained stories from various invited authors has wormed its way into my brain and got me thinking about how far one could possibly push that format. My current votes:

- A book centered around Quentin Quire as direct Grant Morrison stand in, written by Garth Ennis, who has been instructed to try and write as if he was Warren Ellis.

- An X-men version of the Kamandi challenge, only call it the Claremont challenge where writers try to make the most Claremont-y thing possible, end it on a cliffhanger, then pass it on to the next writer. Bonus points for horribly written accents and random cosmic stuff coming out of nowhere.

- DMX discovers he is a mutant with the power to summon dogs. And somehow has to fight MF DOOM. If you buy it digitally, it hijacks your iPad's speaker and plays X Gon' Give it To Ya on loop while the comic is open.

Some one hook Abundant up with a Marvel editor stat. If I remember correctly I locate artist and writer near me known for a book called Hip-Hop Family Tree got hired by Marvel for X work, so maybe the last one will happen!

Ross61

Captain Phasma:

Pilot is going to die isn't she hope not hope she rebels

I think this comic is definitely better read after the novel and does build from her character there

Dawnbreak:

*Bruce Wayne is so awesome and his will is so strong he broke the rings non lethal protocal and use abilities no else had as a kid and kills the entire corps and the cosmic powered guardians*

The rest of the issue is fine but I agree that I hope the tie ins don't get repetitive and be just about "Bruce faces strategy, gains or steal powers, becomes evil fights justice league counterpart"

Batman: White Knight

I'm already in but I'm going to ignore Twitter but I'm intrigued so far

First time I heard someone used sjw in a comic but there was that gumball episode
I mean, that’s how all of them got their powers.

I mean, that's how all of them got their powers.

Yeah, some are upset that he is "goddamn batmaning" in a lot of these stories and just overpowers everyone once gaining these abilties, but that's the basic premise of most of these worlds in the "DARKVERSE". But it could be interesting if the event explores why Bruce's flaws make him not the ideal user of each power in different ways.

Some Nobody

Dawnbreak:

Told ya. As a GL fan (and someone fucking tired of Batman), that whole issue just left me salty lol.

Batman: White Knight was deeply intellectually masturbatory. This really shouldn't be surprising after the business with the sight lines, but there you have it. Lots and lots of discussion of themes and messages on-panel don't really belong in a first issue. It especially stands out because it lacks any sort of thematic consistency (again, not really surprising after SGM's twitter shenanigans), fighting with two very different natures of Batman, and not in the "which of these is the real one!?!?1?" sort of way, but more in that the narrative demands one thing and presents another... sometimes. When it feels like it.

The first I'll call "Dark Knight Deconstructed;" Batman as a source of Gotham's misery to the same or greater extent as his rogues. This isn't something unusual to hear out of the Joker, but the fact that pre- and post- "cure" Napier take the same tack gives it a very odd flavor, especially with the lead-in (and tone of the surrounding characters) presumably indicating that he's in the right. There's a
extended chase sequence with him prior to being cured, on a scooter and Batman in the Batmobile, smashing stuff, knocking over security guards, all that. This is meant to reinforce the idea that Batman's "war on crime" is fundamentally as or more destructive than Napier's war for crime, but uh he's chasing the Joker. If this one is anything like the main comics Joker, a little property damage and a few bruised ribs ain't much. And if he's NOT that genocidal, you really have to establish that in front.
So take #1 is a bit of a dud.

The second is more of a "Batman Off The Rails" thing, where Batman is a fundamentally good person and positive influence, but he's starting to lose his way. This is something that's directly pointed at by Dick and Barbra
during the chase, and the scene with Alfred in the hospital bed, which is easily my favorite bit of the issue and lends this Batman some much-needed emotional characterization.
The thing about this is, though, it needs contrast. You can't morally equate him with his rogues if you want to do this, and every other piece of trapping in the issue IS, especially the stuff with the news anchors.

So, yeah, bit of a miss. Probably not gonna keep going with this.

Some Nobody

Batman: White Knight was deeply intellectually masturbatory. This really shouldn't be surprising after the business with the sight lines, but there you have it. Lots and lots of discussion of themes and messages on-panel don't really belong in a first issue. It especially stands out because it lacks any sort of thematic consistency (again, not really surprising after SGM's twitter shenanigans), fighting with two very different natures of Batman, and not in the "which of these is the real one!?!?1?" sort of way, but more in that the narrative demands one thing and presents another... sometimes. When it feels like it.

The first I'll call "Dark Knight Deconstructed;" Batman as a source of Gotham's misery to the same or greater extent as his rogues. This isn't something unusual to hear out of the Joker, but the fact that pre- and post- "cure" Napier take the same tack gives it a very odd flavor, especially with the lead-in (and tone of the surrounding characters) presumably indicating that he's in the right. There's a
extended chase sequence with him prior to being cured, on a scooter and Batman in the Batmobile, smashing stuff, knocking over security guards, all that. This is meant to reinforce the idea that Batman's "war on crime" is fundamentally as or more destructive than Napier's war for crime, but uh he's chasing the Joker. If this one is anything like the main comics Joker, a little property damage and a few bruised ribs ain't much. And if he's NOT that genocidal, you really have to establish that in front.
So take #1 is a bit of a dud.

The second is more of a "Batman Off The Rails" thing, where Batman is a fundamentally good person and positive influence, but he's starting to lose his way. This is something that's directly pointed at by Dick and Barbara
during the chase, and the scene with Alfred in the hospital bed, which is easily my favorite bit of the issue and lends this Batman some much-needed emotional characterization.
The thing about this is, though, it needs contrast. You can't morally equate him with his rogues if you want to do this, and every other piece of trapping in the issue IS, especially the stuff with the news anchors.

So, yeah, bit of a miss. Probably not gonna keep going with this.

I don't know why I bristle at ideas like this. "What if Batman was really the bad guy?" "Is it just as much the fault of the hero as the villain that things go wrong?"

I don't know why, but they're supposed to seem deep but to me always come off as juvenile, low-tier pseudo-intellectual BS. Having said all that, I don't mean to disparage SGM--he's not the first guy to come up with a story like this and won't be the last--so I'm not trying to insult him at all. I just...I dunno. I just feel like sometimes the world isn't as grey or confusing as people like to pretend. Sometimes the bad guy is just a bad guy. Sounds bad, but...I mean....Donald Trump, y'know? There's depth to some villains, but often only in how depraved they can be.

Some Nobody

I wonder if all this Batsturbation on DC's part will be what leads to Marvel's rise to dominance in 2018.

Not sure if this question is srs or not lol. But:

1.) No, because Metal's over by February 2018. In the middle of that is Doomsday Clock, which is actually the bigger, universe-affecting story that'll last until November. That's a Superman-masturbatory thing. Variety~
2.) DC's been jerking off about Batman since 1986 and been fine, so I guess everything's fine.
3.) Usually what happens to make the pendulum swing back is one company gets worse while the other gets better. So Marvel needs to get better, too.

Ross61

I wonder if all this Batsturbation on DC's part will be what leads to Marvel's rise to dominance in 2018.
tenor.gif

Great time to be a fan of the Bat always.

I don't know why I bristle at ideas like this. "What if Batman was really the bad guy?" "Is it just as much the fault of the hero as the villain that things go wrong?"

I don't know why, but they're supposed to seem deep but to me always come off as juvenile, low-tier pseudo-intellectual BS. Having said all that, I don't mean to disparage SGM--he's not the first guy to come up with a story like this and won't be the last--so I'm not trying to insult him at all. I just...I dunno. I just feel like sometimes the world isn't as grey or confusing as people like to pretend. Sometimes the bad guy is just a bad guy. Sounds bad, but...I mean....Donald Trump, y'know? There's depth to some villains, but often only in how depraved they can be.

It's less that "what if the bad guys were good!" is an inherently shitty question to center a book around and more that the legwork required generally defeats most authors, and it's an extremely difficult sell with established superheroes. Batman is absolutely not worse than the Joker because over the last 75 years we've seen what the Joker gets up to and HOLY SHIT is it nasty, so why bother asking the question?

You could do something like this better with either an original universe or somebody like Punisher. Although Punisher is kind of low-hanging fruit.

ATTENTION MESSI, ATTENTION MESSI, DCBS HAS UPDATED AND THERE ARE NEW HARLEY AND JOELLE JONES STATUES AVAILABLE

I'm probably not buying any of them. And that Jessica Cruz Bombshell has crazyface.

honestly though: Baby Groot is terrible and I hate him

That is because your heart is cold and black.

mreddie

4C rumor about the book announcements by Mahvoo, bullshit likely but who knows? Also the first two were just revealed today and yet, they are trying to pass it off like they leaked it LOL
Gambit/Rogue
Legion
Wolverines (OML/Laura crossover)
Ant-Man and the Wasp
Cloak and Dagger
Royals to become Inhumans again.
The Incredible Hulk (Banner) and Invincible Iron Man will get new teams.

Goodstyle

And if he's NOT that genocidal, you really have to establish that in front.

... They did establish that. They mentioned he was only really nailed for armed robbery, so either he's never done anything as bad as in the main comics, or he's very good at covering his tracks. As for the rest of your criticisms, I'd say give issue 2 a shot before giving up. This was 100% a set up chapter, the real meat begins at 2 most likely.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I’m not 100% sure but I think Adam warlock might be returning in guardians of the galaxy guys

Don’t hold me to this though ok

caliph95

I’m not 100% sure but I think Adam warlock might be returning in guardians of the galaxy guys

Don’t hold me to this though ok
Hmm there is the universal church of truth in Guardians 2
and his cacoon

It would be very convenient if he comes back

Some Nobody

That War of Jokes and Riddles ending was fucking awful.

D-Stroke was gold as usual though.

Really? I liked it. I'm a sucker for romantic moments, even though in general I'm not big on how emotional King has made Batman.

And Guardians lost me. I know I might be a jerk or whatever for not letting go of DnA Guardians, but I haven't and I won't lol. I hope it continues to do well, though!

Sou Da

Really? I liked it. I'm a sucker for romantic moments, even though in general I'm not big on how emotional King has made Batman.

And Guardians lost me. I know I might be a jerk or whatever for not letting go of DnA Guardians, but I haven't and I won't lol. I hope it continues to do well, though!

The only bad things that have popped up in Guardians have been DnA shit.

Hmm there is the universal church of truth in Guardians 2
and his cacoon

It would be very convenient if he comes back
Yeah, that’s probably why he comes back. Much like Nebula suddenly being a major GotG enemy and sister to Gamora after GotG1.

error4041

4C rumor about the book announcements by Mahvoo, bullshit likely but who knows? Also the first two were just revealed today and yet, they are trying to pass it off like they leaked it LOL
Gambit/Rogue
Legion
Wolverines (OML/Laura crossover)
Ant-Man and the Wasp
Cloak and Dagger
Royals to become Inhumans again.
The Incredible Hulk (Banner) and Invincible Iron Man will get new teams.

I doubt they'll change the team on Iron Man, They're hyping up issue #600 which isn't due until next May, unless they start double shipping. I would be surprised if the move Bendis off the book before then.

Everything else seems to be fairly plausible. Except maybe Royals, I think it's more likely they end the Inhuman books and launch one or two new Inhuman books with new teams and "correct" numbering,

Sandfox

Yeah, that’s probably why he comes back. Much like Nebula suddenly being a major GotG enemy and sister to Gamora after GotG1.
I really doubt it since he didn't have a role in Guardians 2 and 3 won't be coming for a while. It's likely due to the character's role in Infinity Guantlet and the current story.
I doubt they'll change the team on Iron Man, They're hyping up issue #600 which isn't due until next May, unless they start double shipping. I would be surprised if the move Bendis off the book before then.

Everything else seems to be fairly plausible. Except maybe Royals, I think it's more likely they end the Inhuman books and launch one or two new Inhuman books with new teams and "correct" numbering,
Tony is returning in 600 and Bendis definitely isn't leaving before then.

I really doubt it since he didn't have a role in Guardians 2 and 3 won't be coming for a while. It's likely due to the character's role in Infinity Guantlet and the current story.

Tony is returning in 600 and Bendis definitely isn't leaving before then.
He is named and his creation is started at the end of 2. Gamora’s ANGotG issue was about her and Warlock(and Phyla)while retconning how the Soul Gem works.

Some Nobody

Next May is a long way off, but it's:

1.) Only seven issues off, which isn't much in raw numbers.
2.) Before SDCC '18

They could announce the new Iron Man writer here no problem if Bendis is leaving at 600. I'd be fine with a new writer--I love Riri Williams but I think we've seen the best Bendis has to offer outside of that. Time to switch things up.

... They did establish that. They mentioned he was only really nailed for armed robbery, so either he's never done anything as bad as in the main comics, or he's very good at covering his tracks. As for the rest of your criticisms, I'd say give issue 2 a shot before giving up. This was 100% a set up chapter, the real meat begins at 2 most likely.

He was only really nailed for armed robbery but he's also called out as one of the most dangerous criminals in the city, buuuut by the conservative pundit so idk. You may be right. If so I'm not totally clear on why he's in Arkham or why he's got the reputation he does, a string of bank heists with a clown theme doesn't really call for that. Not to mention the "all they were able to nail him on" trope sort of implies more that they weren't, for whatever reason.

As to trying another issue, we'll see how I feel next month.

Some Nobody

Fuck this Ryan guy for not being Marvel's PR guy for free, I guess? 🤔

Ryan Higgins is a comic store owner. He's notable because he's usually pretty vocal on trends and how stuff does in store. I can see Slott's point kinda, but I mean...if Ryan's talking it up in store and they're like "Nah fam that's cool but lemme get a copy of Red Hood & the Outlaws" then that's not his problem.

Mafro

Isn't Adam Warlock the new Living Tribunal post-Secret Wars, or are those Starlin Thanos books not canon?

Top Bottom