• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS|OT|October 2017- The only thing scarier than Messi's avatar are Marvels sales

Isn't Adam Warlock the new Living Tribunal post-Secret Wars, or are those Starlin Thanos books not canon?
It was. He got killed in Ultimates in his first appearance post-Secret Wars.

Marvel has never really acknowledged Ewing’s larger picture work.

Only got a few books into my dozen-book haul. Thoughts so far:
  • So good to have Paper Girls back. Never really got into it until the last time I binged 5 or 6 issues at once.
  • TWD might actually get interesting again. Glad they finally
    brought Beta back.
    . Also I have a feeling there's going to be some
    love triangle developing with Carl, Lydia and Sophia
  • Giant Days is Giant Days so it continues to be amazing and all that is good in this world.

Goodstyle

He was only really nailed for armed robbery but he's also called out as one of the most dangerous criminals in the city, buuuut by the conservative pundit so idk. You may be right. If so I'm not totally clear on why he's in Arkham or why he's got the reputation he does, a string of bank heists with a clown theme doesn't really call for that. Not to mention the "all they were able to nail him on" trope sort of implies more that they weren't, for whatever reason.

As to trying another issue, we'll see how I feel next month.

Oh I gotcha, a lot of things are unclear since only SGM really knows how alike the main Joker is with this one. And you raised a good point about the "2 Batmen" thing. My theory is that Joker isn't really "cured" and is putting on an act to win over the public. He set up the whole chase, Harley following him with a camera, and all this other stuff to make Batman seem like a monster and he's a hero, which is a lot more feasible to me now than it would have been before 2016. The interpretation that Batman is just frazzled because of Alfred seems like the correct one, and I'm like you in saying that I would love to see more of that. In the end, I think this is just another Joker con, where he's trying to prove a demented point about how much Batman needs him, when really Batman is right in saying nobody needs him.

Messi

ATTENTION MESSI, ATTENTION MESSI, DCBS HAS UPDATED AND THERE ARE NEW HARLEY AND JOELLE JONES STATUES AVAILABLE

I'm probably not buying any of them. And that Jessica Cruz Bombshell has crazyface.

That is because your heart is cold and black.

I am gonna go broke

I wonder if all this Batsturbation on DC's part will be what leads to Marvel's rise to dominance in 2018.

I personally am at the point where I like Batman as a character in other books, but lost interest of reading his own for the time being. I've hated how the way he's written a good portion of the time and oftentimes he's flawless, but I guess you could say that about most superhero characters. Maybe it's more the culture surrounding a character then the actual writing itself?

I do enjoy how METAL's premise is Batman mssed up big time however.

Well, the truth is Ryan is a big DC guy. Always has been. Even during New 52, he was honest about their sales prospects, but he fought for them.

https://twitter.com/RyanHigginsRyan/status/636241905525755904
The New 52 was an unbelievable success...for a few months. It was a great idea with some rough follow-through.

https://twitter.com/RyanHigginsRyan/status/608394644750258178
As a huge fan of what DC did with New 52, I can easily say there's been more diverse and interesting titles in 2 weeks than 4 years.

If you burned out on the New 52, please don't write off these new titles from DC. There's some amazing creativity and freedom in these books

https://twitter.com/RyanHigginsRyan/status/519190172571684864
Doing some quick math, @DCComics is 30% of my entire business. While, yes, they've dropped from the big New 52 launch, still our best-seller

https://twitter.com/RyanHigginsRyan/status/480747970996883456
@GailSimone Great to hear. I'm a huge, huge DC fan, and really believe in the New 52, but it's been lacking that punch for a while.

Marvel? He's going for the throat. Good guy. Great for the industry. Huge DC buff though. Big Bang is closer to a straight shooter and they admit that there's a level of apathy for Marvel's books.

EDIT: Still, if I were Slott, I wouldn't have engaged, but come on, Ryan.

EDIT #2: Also Brian Hibbs has some solid takes on the whole Marvel situation as well.

Dawnbreaker wasn't nearly as good as the last two one-shots. It seemed like he
was just way too murder-happy for no reason at all. I know he's a villain but there was no logic to any of it.
He was clearly the least interesting of the evil Batman from the start, so I'd already kind of written him off. Really looking forward to The Drowned and Batman Who Laughs.

Messi

I really enjoyed Harley and Ivy meet Betty and Veronica #1. Dini is great at writing the characters and all the riverdale folks are represented. Fun little story idea with a nice end hook. Laura Bragas art fits nicely.

mreddie

Avengers 672 was ok, I guess I gotta see what happens now but boy, they setting up clues they are axing off
Viv

Black Bolt 6: GET THIS YOU FOOLS!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so was Iron Doom an Avenger? I remember seeing all those teases ages ago but since I stopped subbing to MU I also stopped following most of the stuff.

and if he was, was he a dick? lol

Well, the truth is Ryan is a big DC guy. Always has been. Even during New 52, he was honest about their sales prospects, but he fought for them.

https://twitter.com/RyanHigginsRyan/status/636241905525755904

https://twitter.com/RyanHigginsRyan/status/608394644750258178

https://twitter.com/RyanHigginsRyan/status/519190172571684864

https://twitter.com/RyanHigginsRyan/status/480747970996883456

Marvel? He's going for the throat. Good guy. Great for the industry. Huge DC buff though. Big Bang is closer to a straight shooter and they admit that there's a level of apathy for Marvel's books.

EDIT: Still, if I were Slott, I wouldn't have engaged, but come on, Ryan.

EDIT #2: Also Brian Hibbs has some solid takes on the whole Marvel situation as well.

I don’t know he eventually gave straight up sales numbers and they were pretty shit. I can’t imagine a SoCal store is majority DC just because he runs the place.

But I suppose I shouldn’t underestimate the comic fan’s capacity for pettiness.

yassssss

who still in the Kot fan club?

anyone?
Secret Avengers will never not be amazing
Hmm there is the universal church of truth in Guardians 2
and his cacoon

It would be very convenient if he comes back
UCoT is still one of the coolest things ever. Flying space cathedrals? Technology powered by faith? Fucking radical.

so was Iron Doom an Avenger? I remember seeing all those teases ages ago but since I stopped subbing to MU I also stopped following most of the stuff.

He assisted the Avengers for a bit. Nadia fangirled over him the whole time.

mreddie

Was planned but was only in 2 issues, BMB put a stop to it. Rumored also to prevent Riri joining the Champs to make it not forced.

Batman: White Knight was pretty dumb. From the get-go it reminded me of that really bad fake-Paul Pope Batman fan comic from a few years back. It's not quite that bad and the art is actually good, but I just don't know if I wanna read SGM's clumsy take on current events for 8 whole issues.
Also kinda hated Harley/Ivy meets Betty Veronica on both a writing and art standpoint. Just hit no notes for me!
Not much to say about Punisher Platoon, it's mostly setup, but it's gonna be great.
Hawkeye continues to be good and Leo Romero is crazy good, especially considering his age (23!) and relative inexperience. Makes me disappointed for when Michael Walsh fills in despite him also being great!
I don’t know he eventually gave straight up sales numbers and they were pretty shit. I can’t imagine a SoCal store is majority DC just because he runs the place.

He's talked about DC vastly outselling marvel at his shop since the New 52 but more importantly, his shop is NOT in SoCal
So when can we expect Legacy 2: Lets Try This Again?
This time next year tbh

Reminds me of Citizen V’s prominent place in the promotional art for ANAD despite never showing up in that form.

You know, I’m surprised we didn’t get one of those art pieces for Legacy.

afb7690d-c26f-4160-97grg1.jpeg

59775ff6-2a07-4574-bx8qkk.jpeg

marvelnow-divided-we-0cjns.jpg

Edit: Batman writer teases how
Batman-Catwoman's engagement
affects the DC Universe

I’ve never told anyone this before, but we pulled a little trick. In comic books, they do something called the solicitations, which means we have to release the title of our next arc months before they come out, and we lied. We told everyone the next arc is “A Dream of Me.” The next arc is actually called “
The Rules of Engagement
,” and it’s about Batman going back to his family, going back to Dick Grayson, the original Robin, Damian, his biological son, Superman, [and] Green Lantern. It’s him going back into his comfort zone and them reacting to this, because the honest reaction is, people are going to look at
Batman proposing to Catwoman
as something insane. They’re not going to understand it. As crazy as it is to the audience, it’s even crazier to the people in the fictional world. So, that’s going to cause both tension
and happiness
throughout DC comic books, and that’s what we’re going to record in our next books.

Oh yeah, Kite Man’s in play. Kite Man’s at the beginning and he’ll be at the end. These 100 issues are a story about Batman
and Catwoman
and a story about Kite Man, too.

Oh, the sales numbers are shit. But the New 52's were as well and you didn't see him live-tweeting GIFs. You saw him trying to push the books.

Again, not slagging on him. Good guy, but a strong DC fan. That's where he comes from. He's not tearing Marvel down by any means, he's just more apt to kick them while they are than DC.

So when can we expect Legacy 2: Lets Try This Again?

Next year. It was clear that Legacy is a course correction without any real planning. Next year is the test to see if they've learned anything at all.

Mafro

What did Marvel really gain releasing Legacy just now rather than in six months when the new books and storylines it teased will actually be coming out? It just felt like they hit the panic button and the reaction to it has been pretty lukewarm.

What did Marvel really gain releasing Legacy just now rather than in six months when the new books and storylines it teased will actually be coming out? It just felt like they hit the panic button and the reaction to it has been pretty lukewarm.

This is just when they do it, usually based on when a crossover ends. ANAD was the odd man out and that's because Secret Wars threw everything off.

Marvel NOW: October 2012 (Post-AvX)
All-New Marvel NOW: November 2013 (Post-Infinity)
Avengers NOW!: October 2014 (Post-Original Sin)
All-New, All-Different Marvel: January 2016 (Post-Secret Wars)
Marvel NOW 2.0: November 2016 (Post-Civil War II)
Legacy: October 2017 (Post-Secret Empire)

So, they'll do it again after whatever next year's thing is.

Yeah I was saying this on a post the other day, it seems a really odd choice to release Legacy now as theres not many series to segway into from people who even did like Legacy (especially new or returning readers). All the series at the moment seem to be part way through storys or with the legacy renumbering seem like there deep in story/lore. Even new series you expect might come from Legacy
(Wolverine and FF)
are nowhere on the horizon.

Rebirth if you liked it, you could jump onto a character you fancied from an issue 1 and new story and see if you liked it from there.

Shaanyboi

Banned
The issue I can see are the hands. Everything else is fine.

And the legs. And the oddly mis-directed face. And the torso, with her misshapen hunchback

That's a real "I was up late drinking and totally forgot I have to hand this off at 8:30 AM" kind of drawing.

Yeah I was saying this on a post the other day, it seems a really odd choice to release Legacy now as theres not many series to segway into from people who even did like Legacy (especially new or returning readers). .

They likely pushed this up a bit due to the intensely negative reaction to Secret Empire. You would have expected normally there'd be a few months of people dealing with the fallout of that before jumping into the next thing, but SE was getting such vocally negative reactions online they probably *had* to push it up. Neither are traditional "crossovers" per se, but it's really weird that it's happening basically at the exact same time as Venomverse.

I think Slott was dumb for engaging, but I can see where he's coming from r.e. Higgins. He says he's talking them up in-store, but the message those GIFs send online is "nobody wants these books! They're garbage!" Any aspect of a consumer going "hmm, people seem to be picking these books up, maybe I should check them out" is totally lost.

They likely pushed this up a bit due to the intensely negative reaction to Secret Empire. You would have expected normally there'd be a few months of people dealing with the fallout of that before jumping into the next thing, but SE was getting such vocally negative reactions online they probably *had* to push it up. Neither are traditional "crossovers" per se, but it's really weird that it's happening basically at the exact same time as Venomverse.

I think Slott was dumb for engaging, but I can see where he's coming from r.e. Higgins. He says he's talking them up in-store, but the message those GIFs send online is "nobody wants these books! They're garbage!" Any aspect of a consumer going "hmm, people seem to be picking these books up, maybe I should check them out" is totally lost.

Weirdly enough, SE "fallout" issues of books like Champion have almost nothing to do with what they were solicited as.

Yeah I can understand that there trying to show a quick course shift from secret empire, but in the long run there going to be losing any momentum they get back from legacy by having the gap between the end of legacy and the new jumping on points anyway. Secret empire was weird in itself, it got bad press after a certain point, but then Marvel stopped all advertising for it and left it to die in the second half of the series, at least back it until the end of the series, not everyone liked it but there were still customers there to pick up.

Whenever I see someone responding from Marvel (Slott, Spencer etc) to one of these sales posts it never seems like a good idea to fuel the fire and argument, but youve got to think there only human and if people are slagging off a company youve put a lot of work into and supports you your instinct will be to bite back. I always like the BB sales tweets as though they have been giving Marvel a little stick lately, you can tell that they actually love a lot of Marvel series and what them to do well, as they realise if Marvel does well then there store sales do better for it.

Top Bottom