• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS |OT| September 2016. Comics Should Be Good.

Owzers

I can't take another Wonder Woman origin story, passing on the ogn. For the long wait, I thought Morrison's earth one was a bunch of nothing too, but nothing alongside great art.

Nothing interesting coming out in volume from Image for a couple weeks so looks like I can save some money for a while.

...or buy back volumes of series I need to catch up on.

Fuuuuuuck

Nothing interesting coming out in volume from Image for a couple weeks so looks like I can save some money for a while.

...or buy back volumes of series I need to catch up on.

Fuuuuuuck

Hmm, I got a Low vol.3 and Trees. Vol 2 down as coming out pretty soon? Not sure if you read those man. If not you could jump on em haha Trees volume 1 was pretty great

Christian Wildgoose is replacing Rafael Albuquerque as the Batgirl artist starting in January. No idea about Wildgoose's art but the preview pages in this article seem very much like what is currently in the book:

http://www.newsarama.com/31246-dc-names-new-batgirl-artist.html

Don't know the artist but it looks nice! Much cleaner, a bit more batgirl, and I say that as a big fan of Raphael on AmVamp

Trees is the weirdest book. Too weird even for me.

Haha have you tried injection? That's waaay weirder than Trees

So is Percy at it again with another success? Sounds like people enjoyed TT Rebirth. I'll try it out tonight.

Every day I am shocked how much Percy seems to have turned it around. His dialogue is still a little forced and cheesy but overall his writing has been fun as hell which his old GA definitely did not have.

Messi

Are we talking about the variant cover or the recent issue?

I am talking about him being a bad fit for Batgirls interior art on the rebirth series. The variant cover was classic Albuquerque. I loved it. So much so I posted a thread on GAF about it. It was magical.

It looks..........fine. I guess. This doesn't scream unique to me.

True. But for me Rafaels art was a distraction when it should have added to it. I say this as someone who loves his work. But he is better suited to dark horror or noir style books.

Hmmm, looking over my pull list, I guess I don't read THAT many weird books. Drifter, House of Penance and Unfollow are the only books that are reasonably weird. My tolerance for weirdness may have been overstated.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
The 2016 ComicGaf All-New All-Different Awards

Quote and fill in your votes! ANAD only

Best new character: Ian Soo (Patsy Walker, AKA Hellcat)
Best new version of a classic character: Jane-Thor, if she counts. Moon Girl, if she does.
Most heroic hero: Ms. Marvel
Most villainous villain: Event Crossovers
Best team-up: Thor and Jane Foster, Mighty Thor 11
Most underrated title: I'm not good at under/over rating things.
Most outrageous cancellation: Mockingbird
Best arc: Squirrel, You Really Got Me Now (Squirrel Girl goes back in time and recreates Doom's best scene)
Best solo series: Black Widow
Best team series: Ultimates
Best series: Vision

Josie and the Pussycats is amazing by the way. Bennett is an MVP.

Batman Beyond was all right, the new suit's eyes are enormous.

Squirrel Girl and Ms. Marvel continue to be consistently great.

Messi

Josie and the Pussycats is amazing by the way. Bennett is an MVP.

Batman Beyond was all right, the new suit's eyes are enormous.

Squirrel Girl and Ms. Marvel continue to be consistently great.

post-24763-dave-chappelle-YEAH-victory-da-oRe4.gif

Hmmm, looking over my pull list, I guess I don't read THAT many weird books. Drifter, House of Penance and Unfollow are the only books that are reasonably weird. My tolerance for weirdness may have been overstated.

Oh I didn't realise anyone here reads house of penance, have you been enjoying that? Looking forward to grabbing that in trade.

Well, if your interested in Injection I'd definitely recommend it but yea, Trees is very tame by comparison. You've been warned ha

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member

I'd say the only downside is that I've never particularly liked reading songs in fiction, because I don't know how that song goes, and should I just make up a beat to it, or just read the words or should I just sort of skip past it?

But the jokes and the characters are good enough that it didn't bother me.

Another win for NuArchie.

Sandfox

Both Captain America books were really good, with Steve Rogers standing out as something insane in a good way. This issue was easily either the best or second best so far. So far I think both books are going to down as some of the best Cap runs of all time.

Oh I didn't realise anyone here reads house of penance, have you been enjoying that? Looking forward to grabbing that in trade.

Well, if your interested in Injection I'd definitely recommend it but yea, Trees is very tame by comparison. You've been warned ha

I LOVE House of Penance. It's one of my favorite reads every month. It's completely insane.

It seems designed to be read in trade, preferably a single sitting, so you are getting the better deal.

Messi

I'd say the only downside is that I've never particularly liked reading songs in fiction, because I don't know how that song goes, and should I just make up a beat to it, or just read the words or should I just sort of skip past it?

But the jokes and the characters are good enough that it didn't bother me.

Another win for NuArchie.

I have the exact same problem in Jem. Music in comics is a difficult one.

True. But for me Rafaels art was a distraction when it should have added to it. I say this as someone who loves his work. But he is better suited to dark horror or noir style books.

Quite the opposite for me but I don't wanna have this argument again. I'm probably gonna drop it after issue 5.

Messi

Quite the opposite for me but I don't wanna have this argument again. I'm probably gonna drop it after issue 5.

It's not an argument from my side. If you enjoy it more power to you. I have bigger problems with the writing than the art. It'll probably take an established person to get me back in at this point.

It's not an argument from my side. If you enjoy it more power to you. I have bigger problems with the writing than the art. It'll probably take an established person to get me back in at this point.

Yup. The art felt off to me too but hardly my chief complaint with the book.

I LOVE House of Penance. It's one of my favorite reads every month. It's completely insane.

It seems designed to be read in trade, preferably a single sitting, so you are getting the better deal.

This is good to hear, cheers man. Definitely will check it out. This is very much my jam, bet the dark horse trade will be really nice too.

booo
that a lame reaction from bruno "oh its your fault! its always about you! blah blah iam moving to wakanda!" that reaction did not match his character at all.
I want the old ms.marvel, the laid back fun ms.marvel.

Apparently Marvel sucks at promoting pre-Now! 2.0 issues as having big things happen in them because
Richard Rider is back alive at his parent's doorstep at the end of the newest Nova after telling Sam that he shouldn't give up the helmet and they have a heart-to-heart talk.

You'd think they'd try to promote this as a "Look, you should buy this issue before you pick up the new series we have Confidential all over".

Did Bumblebee show up in Titan's yet?

Yeah, though not in-costume.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they're introducing a new version of Bumblebee as Steel's niece. At least, I think that's where they were going in Superwoman #2.

You are wrong and I revel in your wrongness.

I'm a pretty big fan of babsgirl myself, not sure about bargirl though

That's all well and good, but what about Gotham's Sweetheart Bolgirl?

Sandfox

Apparently Marvel sucks at promoting pre-Now! 2.0 issues as having big things happen in them because
Richard Rider is back alive at his parent's doorstep at the end of the newest Nova after telling Sam that he shouldn't give up the helmet and they have a heart-to-heart talk.

You'd think they'd try to promote this as a "Look, you should buy this issue before you pick up the new series we have Confidential all over".

I think it would be better if this Nova run was just ignored and if I bought this book just for that "epilogue" because Marvel hyped it up I would be upset.

ElNarez

Banned
booo
that a lame reaction from bruno "oh its your fault! its always about you! blah blah iam moving to wakanda!" that reaction did not match his character at all.
I want the old ms.marvel, the laid back fun ms.marvel.

I miss the old Marvel
Pre-Civil War Marvel
Fraction's Hawkguy Marvel
The Secret Wars Marvel
I hate the new Marvel
The bad Bendis Marvel
Bad characters Marvel
Stunts in the news Marvel
I miss the sweet Marvel
The tries new shit Marvel
I gotta say
At that time I liked to read Marvel
See I engaged in Marvel
It wasn't any Marvels
And now I look and look around but can't buy so much Marvels
I used to love Marvel
I used to love Marvel
I even bought Inhuman books
I thought I was Marvel
What if Marvel made a comic bout Marvel
Called "I miss the old Marvel"
Man that'd be so Marvel
That's all it was Marvel
We still love Marvel
And I love you like Marvel loves Marvel

How was Blue Beetle? @ PoodleStrike

I'm enjoying it, but I will admit, this issue does something a smidge grating: nearly every piece of dialogue contains some kind of snark and snark-back. Literally constant bickering. Art is good, story is good, and the snark isn't poorly written, it's just omnipresent.

Top Bottom