• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS |OT| September 2016. Comics Should Be Good.

MG310

Things I learned from the All New All Different All New All Different Marvel Now thread:

Exodus is back in his ridiculous fancy 90's outfit and not that basic bullshit with the yellow thigh high boots.

kmfdmpig

Night of the Monster Men is off to a nice start.

I was very skeptical of the twice a month pace (and think that with some comics like Cyborg it won't work as the characters are not popular enough), but for something like Night of the Monster Men it's great to have the story so condensed due to the twice a month schedule. A fairly small event wouldn't really work well if spread out over two months, but having it wrap up in four weeks makes it work better, I think.

Night of the Monster Men is off to a nice start.

I was very skeptical of the twice a month pace (and think that with some comics like Cyborg it won't work as the characters are not popular enough), but for something like Night of the Monster Men it's great to have the story so condensed due to the twice a month schedule. A fairly small event wouldn't really work well if spread out over two months, but having it wrap up in four weeks makes it work better, I think.

DC loves it because they get all of your money that much quicker. I'm curious to see how long this lasts, because I'm already getting tired of the double-shipping. There was a time Marvel was triple-shipping ASM, and that was just no good.

mreddie

6kbUPRi.png

Someone needs to make this in GIF form.

Rumble was awesome again this month. Such a great combination of humor, drama, and action.

Such a great book. I kind of forget about it when I think of my top few books, but it definitely shakes them all. Crazy that Arcudi left the BPRD to basically go create his own mythos. A lot of versatility in there too. I think I wrote it before but I really love the way he plays with the telling of myths and legends between the two tribes/races and between himself and the reader. Trade allegedly is scheduled for Dec 22nd here though...such an awkward date. Can't put it on the christmas list, will be way too busy to buy myself.

Cyros

Hey, I'm wondering if you guys can provide some help with a purchasing decision. I'm interested in reading through the 2007-2011 run of Justice Society of America but I'm running into a bit of confusion.

When I look at Comixology it shows JSA: The Next Age as containing issues #1-#4, but then JSA: Thy Kingdom Come Vol. 1 shows issues #1-#6. It's throwing me for a bit of a loop, but then I see on DC's website that Thy Kingdom Come Vol. 1 should actually be issues #7-#12.

If that's the case, are issues #5 and #6 left out of a collected edition? It seems issues #5 and #6 are apart of Lightning Saga cross over with JLA. Does that mean they got stuck in a different collected book?

Seems I'd be better off just buying single issues on Comixology instead of the collected editions.

Best new character: Viv Vision
Best new version of a classic character: Wolverine
Most heroic hero: Ms. Marvel
Most villainous villain: Maria Hill/Carol Danvers
Best team-up: Night Thrasher joing CoC
Most underrated title: Mockingbird
Most outrageous cancellation: Angela/Mockingbird
Best arc: Vision 1st arc
Best solo series: Black Widow
Best team series: Ultimates
Best series Vision:

arkon

The 2016 ComicGaf All-New All-Different Awards

Quote and fill in your votes! ANAD only

Best new character:
Best new version of a classic character:
Most heroic hero:
Most villainous villain:
Best team-up:
Most underrated title:
Most outrageous cancellation:
Best arc:
Best solo series:
Best team series:
Best series:

...sometimes I go a bit over the top
Squirrel Girl to all the above.

8bit

Knows the Score
A special shout out today to 2000AD for reaching it's 2000th prog (not including specials and specially numbered editions). Nice to see art from Bolland, McMahon & O'Neill on the same pages again.

Without this, comics would arguably be a quite different artform today.

http://www.2000adonline.com/post/847

90.jpg

TheFlow

Banned
The 2016 ComicGaf All-New All-Different Awards

Best new character: Viv
Best new version of a classic character: Lauren aka X-23 aka Wolverine
Most heroic hero: Sam wilson
Most villainous villain: Thanos
Best team-up: Power man and Iron fist.
Most underrated title: Doctor Strange
Most outrageous cancellation: nighhawk? believe it is already being cancelled.
Best arc:vision
Best solo series:Black panther
Best series: Power man and Iron fist

Is all of iZombie worth it on the Vertigo sale? (I'm assuming yes)
just read this recently, and now it is one of my favorite runs

TheFlow

Banned
Batman beyond #16. so I have been reading a couple of issues of this to make Batman beyond rebirth make sense.

so apparently there wasn't a big
death
like I thought it was.

Best new character: Gwenpool
Best new version of a classic character: Thor count?
Most heroic hero: Thor
Most villainous villain: Civil War II or Carol Danvers. I seriously can't think of a single villain from ANAD
Best team-up: Wolverine and Gabby and her other clones
Most underrated title: Spider-Woman
Most outrageous cancellation: Ultimates?
Best arc: Vision
Best solo series: Vision
Best series: Vision

TheFlow

Banned
Best new character: Gwenpool
Best new version of a classic character: Thor count?
Most heroic hero: Thor
Most villainous villain: Civil War II or Carol Danvers. I seriously can't think of a single villain from ANAD
Best team-up: Wolverine and Gabby and her other clones
Most underrated title: Spider-Woman
Most outrageous cancellation: Ultimates?
Best arc: Vision
Best solo series: Vision
Best series: Vision

the same ultimates team is still continuing just a new name change and such.

Still going! I'm about 3/4 of the way through the 1946-1948 omnibus. I'm digging all the appearances of little Hellboy.

Yes! Little hellboy is awesome:

I really love the Fiumara Bros work on 1948. They end up pencilling between them pretty much all of the Abe Sapien series. Also I guess you're done all of plague of Frogs?
No more Roger :(
I love the story that comes out of that though where Kate goes to visit the Marquis De Fabre.

Also you reminded me how much I love the 1940s series for the vampire storyline. They seed it out sporadically through the different hellboy books, but I love the vampires in the HB world and their whole shtick. Also just the weird mythology they wind around
Giurescu, Hecate & Ilsa Hapustein
. As if it wasn't obvious haha, you should totally read the BPRD: Vampire book after the 40s stuff. I believe they didn't collect it in that omnibus? because it is a rough plan that that will be a series of volumes unto themselves (there's a 1 on the paperback trade) but it's very much linked hand in hand to the 40s stuff. I used a spoiler back there despite it just being some character's names, just to be safe haha.

Also, especially since you've read HB In Hell already , you should hunt down the midnight circus if you haven't already. Fegredo drawn starring young HB <3 also just this awesome warped take on pinocchio.

MG310

Last NYCC pre-show commission arranged :D

Much less running around Artist Alley first thing in the morning involved this year.

Batman Beyond Rebirth

ok, someone give me a recap of what the heck happened between the end of the tv series and now lol

Only read through DC You and Tim Drake being Batman but I'll try.

A bunch of stuff happened around convergeance time and Brother Eye or whatever the eye dude's name was went to the future and basically destroyed the world while taking over Tim Drake (from the future of now, but the past of Beyond time?)and Terry are in some fight and Terry dies to save the Beyond timeline. Tim is left in the Beyond timeline with Eye still in control of the world and made all the superheroes as some cyborg centinals. Gotham had some cloaking device that kept it hidden until it was taken out but Eye was eventually defeated. We find out Terry never really died because Tim coming to this timeline somehow changed it and since it was saved Terry didn't die? That was never explained well. Tim goes off to ride off into the distance but gets taken by a light or maybe Oz is what I'm thinking.

It was basically a whole lot of stupid and none of that probably makes sense.

TheFlow

Banned
Batman Beyond Rebirth

I liked it overall, and will definitely read at least the first arc. Art is nice, great backstory, and decent writing. now here is what I don't like

-still can't get over the batsuit eyes being red. it is a cool suit, but it throws me off.
-the book does a great job of explaining who terry is and giving batman beyond tv fans a bone. The thing is they don't explain what the hell has been happening in the comic book series honestly. For those who only know terry from tv this is post high school

Now to help people out who haven't read the last run.
Tim drake from a different time was batman while terry was being controlled by the bad guys. They fight and Tim frees him. Tim is now stuck in Terry's world/timeline but decides to go off on an adventure or some sort.

Also woah at that ending. the GOAT is about to return

4/5.

A bunch of stuff happened around convergeance time and Brother Eye or whatever the eye dude's name was went to the future and basically destroyed the world while taking over Tim Drake (from the future of now, but the past of Beyond time?)and Terry are in some fight and Terry dies to save the Beyond timeline. Tim is left in the Beyond timeline with Eye still in control of the world and made all the superheroes as some cyborg centinals. Gotham had some cloaking device that kept it hidden until it was taken out but Eye was eventually defeated. We find out Terry never really died because Tim coming to this timeline somehow changed it and since it was saved Terry didn't die? That was never explained well. Tim goes off to ride off into the distance but gets taken by a light or maybe Oz is what I'm thinking.

This sums it up. honestly for everyone's sanity it is best to ignore most of the previous run.

shingi70

Banned
Teen Titans Rebirth was ace, but...
did Damian really strip them all to change them into costume? lol?
Bizarre concern, I know.

The art is top notch, and this felt like what a rebirth issue should be getting you up to speed with these, characters before leading into the main book.

How old are Garr and Raven supposed to be? I know Starfire is around dick's age and Damien and Kid Flash should both be 13.

TheFlow

Banned
The art is top notch, and this felt like what a rebirth issue should be getting you up to speed with these, characters before leading into the main book.

How old are Garr and Raven supposed to be? I know Starfire is around dick's age and Damien and Kid Flash should both be 13.

kid flash from everything I have seen him in looks more along the lines of 15-16.

Ross61

Around Tim's age.

Batman Beyond Rebirth

I liked it overall, and will definitely read at least the first arc. Art is nice, great backstory, and decent writing. now here is what I don't like

-still can't get over the batsuit eyes being red. it is a cool suit, but it throws me off.
-the book does a great job of explaining who terry is and giving batman beyond tv fans a bone. The thing is they don't explain what the hell has been happening in the comic book series honestly. For those who only know terry from tv this is post high school

Now to help people out who haven't read the last run.
Tim drake from a different time was batman while terry was being controlled by the bad guys. They fight and Tim frees him. Tim is now stuck in Terry's world/timeline but decides to go off on an adventure or some sort.

Also woah at that ending. the GOAT is about to return

4/5.

This sums it up. honestly for everyone's sanity it is best to ignore most of the previous run.

Well, ok then. I'll just take it in stride because that sounds like a lot of craziness.

Looks like Gar, Wally, and possibly Raven are about 15-16, same as Tim. Damian is the youngest one at 13, I believe, and Starfire is about Dick's age, yeah, so like 24.

TheFlow

Banned
Teen Titans:Rebirth

This is how you introduce a team. Give them all their moment in the spotlight. I love the art, and dialog. Garth waking up was priceless. Reminds me of the show, and that is a good thing. Damien is about to clown these fools all day.

easter egg. Starfire's pet from both shows is shown in the apple. kudos.

5/5

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Teen Titans:Rebirth

This is how you introduce a team. Give them all their moment in the spotlight. I love the art, and dialog. Garth waking up was priceless. Reminds me of the show, and that is a good thing. Damien is about to clown these fools all day.

easter egg. Starfire's pet from both shows is shown in the apple. kudos.

5/5

The Silkie?

Well, ok then. I'll just take it in stride because that sounds like a lot of craziness.

It was, I don't know how I kept reading it. By time we knew Rebirth was coming and Terry was going to be Batman again I think I was just waiting to see how they handled it. Tim Drake absolutely sucked as Batman in the book. Each issue was just him being beat up and all of it somehow working out in his favor. They tried to start some story threads with a sudden influx of people wanting to get into the city now that people knew it existed but it was all mostly dropped for bringing Terry back.

I'm hoping Rebirth can go in a good direction at this point.

Top Bottom