• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Company of Heroes 2 |OT| The Motherland is Calling - [Western Front Armies out now]

TaroYamada

Does CoH2 have the same feeling as playing Vanilla CoH1 on Angoville?

No but to be quite honest I prefer the "feel" of CoH2 so far, the units, particularly vehicles feel much tighter in terms of control. The game obviously needs balancing and has a variety of blemishes but in the end I think it could surpass vCoH.

Sibylus

Banned
The vehicle play is a threshold above, really. CoH1's model was always fairly kludgy, especially when it came to moving vehicles en masse and getting them to manoeuvre pragmatically. Pathfinding is a fair bit better in my experience, I can wheel around flotillas of armor without creating a frequent logjam, and being able to tell a vehicle to reverse solves one of the most frustrating issues the original game had (that of your armored vehicles turning around before retreating beyond short distances, even if there was an AT gun zeroed at its exhaust pipe).

I haven't figured out how to vault infantry yet, but I love the snow and everything else. Flanking and grenades and the like feel just as good as they always have.

I haven't figured out how to vault infantry yet, but I love the snow and everything else. Flanking and grenades and the like feel just as good as they always have.
Hover over a fence or other jumpable object, and your cursor will change to an arrow icon indicating you can then perform a vault (which is I think a right mouse click, and if not that then left mouse).

AndyBNV

Nvidia
According to the Steam store page the remaining Collector's Edition commanders are being released today, so hopefully a balance patch will accompany the update.

TaroYamada

According to the Steam store page the remaining Collector's Edition commanders are being released today, so hopefully a balance patch will accompany the update.

Are the supposed optimization issues a problem with Nvidia drivers, or with the game? Some in this thread maintain AMD cards are running the game better, I'm not sure what's true.

DarkFlow

Banned
Man I love me some CoH 1, but IDK I'm not really feeling this one. It's hard to put my finger on it really, I'm just not getting the same joy out of playing it as I STILL do get out of playing CoH 1.

TaroYamada

Man I love me some CoH 1, but IDK I'm not really feeling this one. It's hard to put my finger on it really, I'm just not getting the same joy out of playing it as I STILL do get out of playing CoH 1.

Do you like watching matches? I'd watch some matches, I wasn't as excited for the game in the beta but after the TFN tourney I immediately purchased.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Are the supposed optimization issues a problem with Nvidia drivers, or with the game? Some in this thread maintain AMD cards are running the game better, I'm not sure what's true.

Our team has been looking for ways to improve performance since the game launched. Normally we find something, but obviously can't guarantee anything.

DarkFlow

Banned
Do you like watching matches? I'd watch some matches, I wasn't as excited for the game in the beta but after the TFN tourney I immediately purchased.
Oh I per ordered it months ago and played both the alpha and the beta. Just something about it feels off to me.

Sethos

Banned
Our team has been looking for ways to improve performance since the game launched. Normally we find something, but obviously can't guarantee anything.

Thought you were going to end that sentence with "Normally we find something, but this time we haven't found anything"

Dawg

hey andy

hey andy

is it worth upgrading from a gtx 670 to gtx 770/780? ;-; Sethos makes me feel bad with his Titan SLI.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
hey andy

hey andy

is it worth upgrading from a gtx 670 to gtx 770/780? ;-; Sethos makes me feel bad with his Titan SLI.

To play COH2, or in general? For the former, I'd wait and see what Relic and our team come up with in terms of optimizations.

Sethos

Banned
Andy, on an unrelated note; is it possible to install the 311.15 Quadro drivers with a set of Titans? I tried adding the Titan code to the .inf at the top and bottom, however it still says the hardware is unsupported. Do you have to do something else or am I SOL?

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Andy, on an unrelated note; is it possible to install the 311.15 Quadro drivers with a set of Titans? I tried adding the Titan code to the .inf at the top and bottom, however it still says the hardware is unsupported. Do you have to do something else or am I SOL?

I honestly don't know, I've never messed with Quadro drivers. Is there a particular reason you're trying to use them? We have a new branch out, you know: https://forums.geforce.com/default/...l-windows-8-1-preview-driver-feedback-thread/

Says Win 8.1, but works on 7 also.

Sethos

Banned
I honestly don't know, I've never messed with Quadro drivers. Is there a particular reason you're trying to use them? We have a new branch out, you know: https://forums.geforce.com/default/...l-windows-8-1-preview-driver-feedback-thread/

Says Win 8.1, but works on 7 also.

Because that was the last branch of drivers that actually work with Skyrim ENB. There's also a set of older drivers part of the 'normal' line but a lot of people claim the Quadros are better / smoother.

The new drivers, ENB sun will shine through everything, god rays are wonky and there's AO issues.

EDIT: By the way, tons of people are reporting over on Guru3D that you can't install those 326 drivers because they claim the OS is incompatible, both W7 and W8

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Because that was the last branch of drivers that actually work with Skyrim ENB. There's also a set of older drivers part of the 'normal' line but a lot of people claim the Quadros are better / smoother.

The new drivers, ENB sun will shine through everything, god rays are wonky and there's AO issues.

EDIT: By the way, tons of people are reporting over on Guru3D that you can't install those 326 drivers because they claim the OS is incompatible, both W7 and W8

We're working to fix ENB in the latest drivers; will ping the team on OS incompatibility.

Not sure if you guys know or remember.

Today they are releasing new DLC commanders for both sides.

German Commanders
Storm Doctrine (released July 2nd)
Fortified Armor Doctrine (released July 2nd)
Lightning War Doctrine (released July 2nd)

Soviet Commanders
Armored Assault Tactics (released July 2nd)
Mechanized Support Tactics (released July 2nd)

Sethos

Banned
We're working to fix ENB in the latest drivers

God I love you guys.

Not sure if you guys know or remember.

Today they are releasing new DLC commanders for both sides.

German Commanders
Storm Doctrine (released July 2nd)
Fortified Armor Doctrine (released July 2nd)
Lightning War Doctrine (released July 2nd)

Soviet Commanders
Armored Assault Tactics (released July 2nd)
Mechanized Support Tactics (released July 2nd)

These were available for 'free' to CE buyers or am I talking rubbish?

TaroYamada

Yeah I'm having issue with the 320.x too, was giving me BSODs with Firefox, I was gonna ask Andy about it but I see the team is already aware over at the forums. Hopefully they get a fix.

These were available for 'free' to CE buyers or am I talking rubbish?

Yup, "free" to those of us who paid $x extra (I did), still think it's lame as hell they aren't going to everybody though. I'd really prefer a level playing field.

Dawg

To play COH2, or in general? For the former, I'd wait and see what Relic and our team come up with in terms of optimizations.

Both, actually. I was going to wait for 8xx but I've noticed a decrease in performance lately and I'm a 60fps person so I need to maintain that framerate :p

Borderlands 2 dips under it and GW2 as well, although I've heard some bad things about the Guild Wars 2 engine, especially for nvidia cards. Something about it not using the full extent of the card and being more CPU heavy.

Sorry for going off-topic btw, was just wondering this :)

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Both, actually. I was going to wait for 8xx but I've noticed a decrease in performance lately and I'm a 60fps person so I need to maintain that framerate :p

Borderlands 2 dips under it and GW2 as well, although I've heard some bad things about the Guild Wars 2 engine, especially for nvidia cards. Something about it not using the full extent of the card and being more CPU heavy.

Sorry for going off-topic btw, was just wondering this :)

GW2 is massively CPU bound and we've tweaked the drivers as much as we can.

If you can afford it, sure, upgrade. But if you're the type of person who only buys a new card every few years you might want to wait for our next architecture.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
The Commander system sucks and seems to be around so they can sell extra as DLC, the company/doctrine system in the first was so much better.

Dawg

GW2 is massively CPU bound and we've tweaked the drivers as much as we can.

If you can afford it, sure, upgrade. But if you're the type of person who only buys a new card every few years you might want to wait for our next architecture.

Yeah, I figured as much about GW2. It's strangely optimised tbh, in some areas I easily get 100fps while I have like 30fps in the next questing area... and it's not even filled with players or anything.

And yes, I upgrade quite a lot. Went from GTX275 to GTX 480 to GTX 580 to GTX 670 FTW (which is pretty much a gtx 680) :p

DarkFlow

Banned
The Commander system sucks and seems to be around so they can sell extra as DLC, the company/doctrine system in the first was so much better.
That's relics MO now, look at DoW 2. They nickel and dimed the fuck out of it with pointless DLC.

TaroYamada

That's relics MO now, look at DoW 2. They nickel and dimed the fuck out of it with pointless DLC.

I think you are confusing Relic with THQ, THQ's MO was pointless DLC in their final desperate days. Now they are under SEGA who occasionally has ridonkulous DLC, though less so than THQ.

DarkFlow

Banned
I think you are confusing Relic with THQ, THQ's MO was pointless DLC in their final desperate days. Now they are under SEGA who occasionally has ridonkulous DLC, though less so than THQ.
Relic made DoW 2. Relic also makes CoH 2, both have the same pointless DLC, so no I don't think I'm confusing anything. Two different publishers now, same DLC system.

Sethos

Banned
Yup, "free" to those of us who paid $x extra (I did), still think it's lame as hell they aren't going to everybody though. I'd really prefer a level playing field.

The commanders simply aren't game changing any more like vCoH, I don't see it as a problem.

IpKaiFung

I'll be honest none of the commanders I've seen so far are as good as Guard Motor Coordination which you get at level 1 for the soviets.

Festung Armor, Assault Support or Jaeger Armor for the germans are probably the best ones too and also not paid for.

While I do think it sends out a bad message I also don't think the ones they are offering are worth buying personally.

Sethos

Banned
I agree. It's a bit like the same controverse you get in the yearly Call of Duty thread. "Oh my god, he's level 50 and has access to X gun!" except all the starting weapons are superior, even the stats back that up. Same here, many of the default commanders are just better. The 'DLC commanders' are just mixes of a lot of the available stuff but more focused on certain tasks ... They really aren't that great.

I can see why people don't like the DLC train but there's nothing in said DLC that makes you stronger or better.

I was all excited about the German Spearhead Doctrine commander because of the Tiger ... Until you realize it's beyond useless against Russians due to an overwhelming amount of soft targets in mass numbers. It's too slow to actually be effective against such an enemy. Might as well stick with panthers.

IpKaiFung

at the moment the best bang for your buck tank is the P4, the tiger costs the same as about two of them and the tiger really isn't worth saving for right now.

TaroYamada

Relic made DoW 2. Relic also makes CoH 2, both have the same pointless DLC, so no I don't think I'm confusing anything. Two different publishers now, same DLC system.

Relic was/is owned by THQ/SEGA so dev/pub in this case are part of the same organization. The blame for these DLC policies lies with the suits who approve them in my view, I doubt the Relic devs give two shits about whether these DLC are given out for free, as at the end of the day they get cut the same paycheck regardless.

Jagerbizzle

Neo Member
Relic was/is owned by THQ/SEGA so dev/pub in this case are part of the same organization. The blame for these DLC policies lies with the suits who approve them in my view, I doubt the Relic devs give two shits about whether these DLC are given out for free, as at the end of the day they get cut the same paycheck regardless.

As a dev who worked on both DOW2 and COH2, I can confirm that we were mostly unhappy with the bullshit DLC requests we got from THQ. Sega seemed *way* better after the takeover.

TaroYamada

As a dev who worked on both DOW2 and COH2, I can confirm that we were mostly unhappy with the bullshit DLC requests we got from THQ. Sega seemed *way* better after the takeover.

Can you confirm whether SEGA is pushing for these commander DLCs, or was this something THQ had wanted and SEGA just ended up rolling with it?

TychoCelchuuu

Neo Member
Can you confirm whether SEGA is pushing for these commander DLCs, or was this something THQ had wanted and SEGA just ended up rolling with it?
Even before SEGA acquired Relic, the preorder info for the game mentioned stuff about in-game currency and special commanders, so that has been the plan all along. In fact, since there is no in-game currency, I suspect SEGA might have cut way back on the bullshit.

at the moment the best bang for your buck tank is the P4, the tiger costs the same as about two of them and the tiger really isn't worth saving for right now.
Panzer IV is a great unit, but is still vulnerable to AT guns. For my resources, I would rather buy Panthers. Sure they cost more and take longer to get, but much more worth it to me than a P4.
Even before SEGA acquired Relic, the preorder info for the game mentioned stuff about in-game currency and special commanders, so that has been the plan all along. In fact, since there is no in-game currency, I suspect SEGA might have cut way back on the bullshit.
I would say the writing has been on the wall for years now, ever since Company of Heroes Online came out. I remember being in the closed beta for that and seeing all the different things you could unlock/buy and the relic bucks system they wanted to implement. Glad they didn't end up following that model and went with what we have now.

It might be easier to answer your question if you could elaborate as to what you mean by "feel of vcoh on Angoville".

Well, the basic idea was that the americans had mobile squads which would try to flank the germans and quickly try to cap points and harass points which the germans had not defended well.

By contrast, the germans had weaker starting units, but backed by the powerful mg, and barb wire, they could try to strategically control important points on the map, expanding their range over time, and setting up a powerful late game.

Angoville was a perfect size for this cat and mouse game.. bigger maps made it relatively hard for the germans to "control" the map with their mg's and barb wire etc.

Twinduct

yay local retailer getting stock next week. $35 Boyo!
(South African Prices, PC games go for about 30-35 ... except Blizzard games)

Icefire1424

Any tips out there for dealing with late game armour as the Soviets? Mostly playing against the AI (and yes, I know they "cheat", but I like a challenge), and I've gotten pretty good at defending against the early halftacks and light armour, but when the Panzers start rolling out en masse, I start getting rolled over. Anything to defend against that, or was my mistake in not slowing their expansion early on?

Well, the basic idea was that the americans had mobile squads which would try to flank the germans and quickly try to cap points and harass points which the germans had not defended well.

By contrast, the germans had weaker starting units, but backed by the powerful mg, and barb wire, they could try to strategically control important points on the map, expanding their range over time, and setting up a powerful late game.

Angoville was a perfect size for this cat and mouse game.. bigger maps made it relatively hard for the germans to "control" the map with their mg's and barb wire etc.

Since you mention it, I do get a bit of the "cat and mouse" feel you mentioned in CoH2, albeit for slightly different reasons. I'm becoming more aware of the strengths and limitations of both the Russians and Germans in the game, and success does seem to rely more on capitalizing on those advantages than it did in vCoH. CoH felt more "balanced" to me, wherein both the Axis and Allies both had strong infantry, vehicles and support, as opposed to CoH2, where the strengths and weaknesses are more pronounced. German armor in CoH2 is tough, and Infantry (although comprised of less troops per squad) are more effective than their Russian counterparts. Russian support dominates - artillery and mortars are extremely effective, and the sheer numbers of Russian infantry is an advantage. Not so much in terms of damage capability, but being able to capture an abandoned suport weapon or being able to "merge" conscripts to replace lost crew is pretty invaluable in a pinch. The Russians therefore are almost the underdog - they can't win a fight against the Germans one on one, but are better able to adapt to battlefield conditions to steal a win.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Any tips out there for dealing with late game armour as the Soviets? Mostly playing against the AI (and yes, I know they "cheat", but I like a challenge), and I've gotten pretty good at defending against the early halftacks and light armour, but when the Panzers start rolling out en masse, I start getting rolled over. Anything to defend against that, or was my mistake in not slowing their expansion early on?

Yea, you're on the right track. You need to try and hold the fuel at all costs to prevent the roll out of their tanks. Also, get AT guns out the wazoo, buy SU85s, and use expendable conscripts to scout ahead (the fire range of Soviet stuff is longer than Axis IIRC, so if you can extend your view range you can attack with impunity).

Sethos

Banned
- Mines, mines and more mines.

- AT Guns

- If picked the right commander, Guard's Rifle to button the vehicles

- SU-85

- More mines.

Never really had any problems with German armour, as long as you overwhelm them and stop focusing on soft infantry late game. Panzers are easy to deal with, Panthers are a lot harder and if you've reached this stage of the fight you probably should have moved up quicker.

Plus, always deny Germans fuel points. Doesn't matter if you capture them out of your supply lines, just deny them the points because that is their strongest resource.

Top Bottom