• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Company of Heroes 2 |OT| The Motherland is Calling - [Western Front Armies out now]

Sethos

Banned
The problem with the UI is, it's badly designed. It was too big and inefficient in vCoH and so many years later you'd think they could improve on it a bit. It simply does not need to be that big to convey the tiny amount of information that it's serving and they sure as hell could offer some choice.

Help me guys...

I've got 450 hours in MOW:AS just In skirmish.
I'm not really into competitive multiplayer at all, but I loved CoH and still love WW2 stuff in general. Can someone speak on the single player side of things? Is there a dynamic campaign like DoW:Dark Crusade?

eznark

Banned
What specifically did you expect to look better?

For the most part, I think the game looks great. The only things I'm not thrilled with visually are the vehicle and infantry skins. They look a bit too "cartoonish" to me.(especially with the team color and insignia on the vehicles) Hopefully Relic allows mods to be enabled soon. Some are already working on stuff that looks promising.

Animation mostly, I guess. When I got back into PC gaming it was with a nice machine I built myself and Company of Heroes. It blew me away in every respect but especially visually. I was kind of hoping for the same thing here but I feel like the movements are all...hitchier or something I guess? Not really sure. I feel like they missed that last pass of tightening up the graphics in level 4. I don't think it looks bad at all, just that my expectations were probably too high.

The problem with the UI is, it's badly designed. It was too big and inefficient in vCoH and so many years later you'd think they could improve on it a bit. It simply does not need to be that big to convey the tiny amount of information that it's serving and they sure as hell could offer some choice.

Yeeeep I just started playing and this annoys the shit out of me. Reminds me of Age of Empires 3 and its huge ass UI that I just couldn't deal with.

TaroYamada

Yeeeep I just started playing and this annoys the shit out of me. Reminds me of Age of Empires 3 and its huge ass UI that I just couldn't deal with.

not sure how they can reduce the size of the map but the center part could be made smaller and have more efficient use of space.

Wow. I've just realized I've been reflexively building my first buildings up so my units get out faster, CoH-style.

Derp, they come out the back anyways.

Also, it's really funny to me after watching that tournament stream today that Russians seem to be the OP faction; they're an absolute mess when I play them.

TaroYamada

Wow. I've just realized I've been reflexively building my first buildings up so my units get out faster, CoH-style.

Derp, they come out the back anyways.

Also, it's really funny to me after watching that tournament stream today that Russians seem to be the OP faction; they're an absolute mess when I play them.

They aren't all that OP in my view, just the flame haltrack or sniper halftrack, their MG crews are also way too large.

Sethos

Banned
The Russians in their current state are amazing. Start by spamming MG crews, garrison them and / or cover vital corridors and they are extremely powerful - Especially because they are 6 men crews. From the same building you can pump out ATs quickly meaning their light vehicles go down in the blink of an eye or even better, Guard Rifles will just eat light vehicles for breakfast.

Early / Mid-game, I focus solely on getting the T-70. Once you have that out you will be eating up the Germans until they got some mobile AT. The thing tears through infantry squads in no time, is able to capture when promoted and even able to take on a STuG if micro'd right.

Lots of great indirect fire to keep infantry in check, however you just have to be careful late-game versus German armour. If you aren't careful, it will steamroll you. Go go gadget AT mines!

TaroYamada

The Russians in their current state are amazing. Start by spamming MG crews, garrison them and / or cover vital corridors and they are extremely powerful - Especially because they are 6 men crews. From the same building you can pump out ATs quickly meaning their light vehicles go down in the blink of an eye or even better, Guard Rifles will just eat light vehicles for breakfast.

Lots of great indirect fire to keep infantry in check, however you just have to be careful late-game versus German armour. If you aren't careful, it will steamroll you. Go go gadget AT mines!

By the sounds of things though, the balance devs are looking at reducing the size of the MG crews. I imagine they'll eventually nerf sniper accuracy from the halftrack too. The other thing they are probably gonna do is make it so flamethrowers face a nerf on retreating enemies like all other weapons (this should have been a no brainer).

Sethos

Banned
By the sounds of things though, the balance devs are looking at reducing the size of the MG crews. I imagine they'll eventually nerf sniper accuracy from the halftrack too. The other thing they are probably gonna do is make it so flamethrowers face a nerf on retreating enemies like all other weapons (this should have been a no brainer).

They better not go overboard, because right now it's close to the vCoH balance of one team strong at the beginning and the other strong at the end. The Wehrmacht always had a fairly weak early-game ( Well, except the blobbing phase ) but late game they went batshit.

Plus German MG42 crews have a massive firing cone while the Russian's MG crews have barely half that, so you need to micro them a lot more.

TaroYamada

They better not go overboard, because right now it's close to the vCoH balance of one team strong at the beginning and the other strong at the end. The Wehrmacht always had a fairly weak early-game ( Well, except the blobbing phase ) but late game they went batshit.

Plus German MG42 crews have a massive firing cone while the Russian's MG crews have barely half that, so you need to micro them a lot more.

I could see them chopping 1 or 2 crew members off the Soviet MG crew, going with a 5/4 man crew. Sniper accuracy in the halftrack needs to be nerfed though, pure and simple and for the benefit of both sides flamethrowers must not work as well as they do against retreating enemies.

Sethos

Banned
I could see them chopping 1 or 2 crew members off the Soviet MG crew, going with a 5/4 man crew. Sniper accuracy in the halftrack needs to be nerfed though, pure and simple and for the benefit of both sides flamethrowers must not work as well as they do against retreating enemies.

Oh yeah, I can definitely agree on the sniper accuracy. A simple damage reduction would probably be in order instead of a full on miss rate - Just so they don't neuter them completely. And yes, the flamethrowers picking off retreating forces so quickly also needs to be looked at.

If there's one thing from a personal standpoint I'd like to see happen is a reduction in AT gun armour / survivability. It just seems these things can hold up to some of the most crazy stuff. I mean, not to a point where they die by one shot but these are cheap AT guns and when you see a tank need to drive around them and fire 6-7 shots just to make an impact feels a bit off.

They are simply too strong and have a huge fear factor on the battlefield considering they are early game equipment that costs the same as one squad of men basically.

ikioi

Banned
and for the benefit of both sides flamethrowers must not work as well as they do against retreating enemies.

I think the flamethrower vehicles need to be nurfed all around.

They just absolutely decimate infantry in one or two hits.

and given their speed, they can chase and pursue infantry.

antitrop

I think the flamethrower vehicles need to be nurfed all around.

They just absolutely decimate infantry in one or two hits.

and given their speed, they can chase and pursue infantry.
I found this out the hard way in some comp-stomps with Sethos today.
My second ever multiplayer game of CoH and I accidentally run like 7 squad of Infantry into a flame tank and watch them all die. It was awesome.

CoH multiplayer is very unusual, but interesting, to me. My RTS background is mainly WarCraft II, StarCraft, Age of Empires 1, Total Annihilation, and StarCraft II.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Eh, you probably have a better chance of running it than some of us Nvidia users :p Apparently it's leaning in AMD's favour.

Hrrm. It's an iMac so the screen is 1080p. I'm a little loathe to plop down £40 on a game that might not run acceptably even at a non-native resolution :/

I should have been quicker off the mark during the open beta. :'(

DaciaJC

Gold Member

AoE III had a minimal UI option, though. Would that Relic could include the same in CoH2.

TaroYamada

Gave in, bought the Collector's Edition. My shit internet has taken 5 hours and is only 4.9 gb out of 9.7 gb done.

THIS is why I still hate digital distribution sometimes.

Edit: I like the UI though it has superfluous parts and could be cut down a bit but I was really surprised to find folks don't like the font! I thought the font looked pretty nice...

sflufan

Banned
I was wondering if anyone had any insight into what I'm doing wrong in trying to earn Achievement M.04 "Cool Efficiency" -- I've tired the mission a couple of times and just can't seem to earn this one.

The Achievement requirement is to "Take all three German outposts in Mission 4 using only snipers."

Does this mean that I have to:
a) use only the sniper teams to capture the control points (which is what I've done), or
b) use only snipers to conduct the entire assault on the outposts

If it's (b), then I just won't bother with this one!

Thanks for any assistance!

Sethos

Banned
So, would anyone be up for a comp stomp later tonight ( In say, 6-7 hours from the time of this post ) - If we could have a huge game with 4 Players and 4 AI going it'd be great.

So, would anyone be up for a comp stomp later tonight ( In say, 6-7 hours from the time of this post ) - If we could have a huge game with 4 Players and 4 AI going it'd be great.
Where are you based Sethos? I would love to do that, but I will be at work until 5 Central Time which I assume will be too late :/

Sibylus

Banned
I haven't cracked into CoH2 yet outside of the preorder beta, but I would love to comp stomp. Friended who I take to be you on Steam (antitrop being in your friendlist is the tell!).

Sethos

Banned
Based in Europe, Denmark. In 6 hours that'd be 9pm CET, so I could stretch that 3-4 hours if required. I don't turn in that early.

So I'm flexible.

Based in Europe, Denmark. In 6 hours that'd be 9pm CET, so I could stretch that 3-4 hours if required. I don't turn in that early.

So I'm flexible.
Ok...I'll plan on hopping on after work, about 9 hours from now, and check if you guys are up for it. Shoot me a friend request on Steam, should be same as my GAF name.

I would just like to hop back in again, apologize for my earlier spat about Automatch (I'm still right, but I'll apologize, lol) and echo another poster in saying that I think it'd be good to see less negativity and more strategy discussion here.

I guess I'll start it off with arguably the 2 most important issues:

Grenadiers vs Conscripts
Pioneers vs Engineers

I feel that grenadiers are stronger than conscripts, being evenly matched in the very beginning but quickly gaining strength with the LMG42s and veterancy, plus the utility of rifle grenades (remember - don't use them against enemies in cover). That said, while conscripts are the meat of Soviet early play, it's really the 1st building that defines their play. As a CoH player that blows my mind, because it's like getting rifles from the HQ and specializing from there, and yet it works.

Pioneers I feel are flat worse than engineers, but I think it's fine. Engineers just do so much better in cover and especially in buildings. Pioneers lose too much health closing in, and the only situations I've been able to win is where the opponent is simply not paying attention.

[EDIT] On the official forum I see people claiming Grenadiers are much weaker due to molotovs. I disagree with this. I love molotovs as a German player. They are easy to dodge. My only concern is when a lagging member gets the insta-kill critical when the bottle initially bursts. That only happens 10-15% of the time. Meanwhile, all those molotovs mean that I'm not going to have to deal with a flamer or LMG/SMG upgrades.

Raxious

Man, I've been looking at this game for a while, I enjoyed the crap out of the original and saw this one is priced for 30 euros. However I'm reading a lot of performance issues, so I'm not sure if I should buy it now or just wait until these issues get fixed.

Man, I've been looking at this game for a while, I enjoyed the crap out of the original and saw this one is priced for 30 euros. However I'm reading a lot of performance issues, so I'm not sure if I should buy it now or just wait until these issues get fixed.

What's your specs?

Mugaaz

Gave in, bought the Collector's Edition. My shit internet has taken 5 hours and is only 4.9 gb out of 9.7 gb done.

THIS is why I still hate digital distribution sometimes.

Edit: I like the UI though it has superfluous parts and could be cut down a bit but I was really surprised to find folks don't like the font! I thought the font looked pretty nice...

You hate DD because you have bad Internet?

longdi

Banned
I see more Soviet players adopting a mobile turtling strat...mg, mortar, AT guns arty, hard to break through if you up against 3 v 3 in smaller maps.

KiraFA37

I'd love to join, only thing I've done online is 4v4 AI automatch. Steam name is the same as my gaf name.

TaroYamada

You hate DD because you have bad Internet?

It'd be a lot more convenient for me if retail was still a thing and I could just drive 10 minutes to the nearest Toys R Us. I'm not sure whether they had it or not but CE was digital only as far as I'm aware.

Sethos

Banned
Ok...I'll plan on hopping on after work, about 9 hours from now, and check if you guys are up for it. Shoot me a friend request on Steam, should be same as my GAF name.

I'd love to join, only thing I've done online is 4v4 AI automatch. Steam name is the same as my gaf name.

Added you both ( I hope that's you :p ) then we'll see tonight. Marital, just grab a hold of me when you are home and ready. Then I'll see if Kira is online.

Kade

Suddenly, the game runs fine for me. :/

No evidence of patch notes or a driver update either so that's really weird. My computer is in the exact same state it was when the game was running poorly yesterday. Time to have fun at a playable framerate!

TaroYamada

I've had to really turn down my settings, I seem to even remember the beta running better :|.

I have by no means the greatest rig though, GTX 460 1GB, 4 GB RAM & AMD Athlon II X4 3.0 Ghz 645. I still get the feeling it should run better and I hope eventually it does, my RAM appears to be the bottle neck, oddly.

If not I'm upgrading later this year/next year anyways.

Dawg

I still have to buy this game.

I wonder if there will be a small steam sales discount. It's like 29 on G2.

Das-J

Law of the West
Ugg... glad I'm not the only one!

The UI completely turned me off of the Beta. I swung by their booth at E3 to see if they'd improved anything in that regard and one of their reps looked at me like I was crazy when I brought it up.

* Shrug * I'll def. pick it up, but not anytime soon.

Top Bottom