• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Company of Heroes 2 |OT| The Motherland is Calling - [Western Front Armies out now]

Raytow

Ugh sounds like the DOTA2 community, well that seals the deal, only coop or vs against my brother and a few friends fan of the genre.

Sanjay

Played skirmish, one with and one without another human player by my side. It's ok, better than it was in Alpha at any rate. Maybe it just takes some getting used to but I can't shake the feeling that the game is much less "responsive" and this has nothing to do with framerate or anything else. It just feels like I have less control over everything, and I'm having trouble putting it into words.

Well I had the same feelings too, so I installed COH again to see how it felt in comparison and it was night and day. There is definitely a delay in issuing commands compared to the old COH where its instant, but guys this could be a gameplay tweak as units in the eastern front where its cold would realistically have a delay bringing out that visceral realism to units, maybe I have to have a body warmer to get rid of this? maybe dlc.

The poly count on the models is much much higher, the texture resolution on everything is much higher, the particle system is more complex, there's weather. Of course you already know all this, but are getting on the internet hyperbole bandwagon for some reason.

You're better then that. Stop it.

I just checked COH and nope your wrong except the high poly count for troop units which you can only notice when your zoomed in so that's a redundant feature.

I could not get Fraps to work in COH for some reason so had to use Steam:-
http://steamcommunity.com/id/sanjay/screenshots/

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So out of curiousity are you guys who are stressing over the benchmark actually playing the game?

The situation and camera angles in the benchmark are specifically designed to stress your system, the actual game runs considerably better.

cripterion

So out of curiousity are you guys who are stressing over the benchmark actually playing the game?

The situation and camera angles in the benchmark are specifically designed to stress your system, the actual game runs considerably better.

I played a game with a random vs standard AI. We got mopped. I haven't played since the alpha so I need to get better acquainted with the units/upgrades.
And yeah I realize most of the posts are about the game's performance and not about the gameplay but it's hard to ignore all that stuff when the game won't even run if I play VLC on my 2nd monitor and try to launch the game on the other (wife is watching Gossip Girl so basically can't run the game).

derExperte

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Man I feel like an insane scrub-tier player, me and my buddy got smeared on the normal difficulty co-op challenges last night. Was playing Soviet scenarios. I know because of how the game is that Soviets can be like a meat grinder but oy vey, it was tough as hell. Great fun.

Corto

"Yes, there is snow. Snow is apparently the fundamental gameplay fact of the Eastern Front. The snow doesn’t always happen. It only happens on certain maps. On those maps, your guys will take damage if you don’t put them in houses or near fires. You know the micromanagement you save by not having to actively capture flags? So much for that. Sometimes the snow slows down your dudes unless you manually path them along a road. Sometimes there’s a blizzard and you can’t see very far. Sometimes a tank falls through the ice on a frozen river. There’s a reason most micromanagement intensive RTSs like Company of Heroes don’t bother with variable weather. It’s the same reason Command & Conquer stopped having random lightning strikes destroying your units."

Sure, snow doesn't always happen. Snow falls only on winter maps. Go figure. Northern hemisphere seasonality and history aside, the design decision signals that when fighting in winter you should expect snow. Sometimes you might take your chances, and choose to strike hard and fast, hoping to chase your opponent out of territory before a blizzard arrives. You can snuff as many fire pits as possible to ensure he falls back when the storm hits. Sometimes you plan for the blizzard phase with a slow start, and hope to capitalize on your unprepared opponent. Suddenly halftracks, underutilized in COH, have their place, carting flamethrower crews around to burn Germans out of their winter garrisons. Point is, the mechanic encourages us to make meaningful choices that strawman arguments won't acknowledge.

Same for "Sometimes a tank falls through the ice on a frozen river." Sure, sometimes you choose to accept the risk of crossing a frozen river's cracked ice with a 60-ton tank in a blizzard blitzkrieg, and sometimes you choose to target the same ice with artillery (or preemptively set explosive charges) to deliberately drop that tank, but that's far from "tanks sometimes fall through ice," no matter how determined you are to use the language of randomness when dismissing it as irrelevant.

And is the revision to capture point area actually about reducing micro? Don't you need to direct a unit to the area whether the destination is the flagpole itself or the area around it? And how does this new rule set not encourage competent players to micro even more -- laying mines, seeking strong cover, patching up halftracks, placing mgs, etc -- as they cap?

And since the storm predictably puts emphasis on all-weather units, isn't it freeing up player RAM to focus on effective units during that period while the rest sit inside, around fires, or retreat? We all know reviews are unavoidably subjective and anything else is dishonesty. While I appreciate the winter map mechanics, I'd personally prefer fewer storms per match. But there's a big difference between dressing up the fact that you aren't having fun, and examining and explaining why.

Thanks for taking the time to write that. You addressed some of the points that made that Tom Chick review read more like a hyperbolic rant than a review for me.

cripterion

http://www.computerbase.de/news/2013-06/company-of-heroes-2-im-leistungstest/

So it runs almost 50% faster on a 7870 than on my 660 (without AA). I hope there's a bug somewhere, this is ridiculous. But I guess it's well deserved punishment for going green after 15 years, damn.

Gaming Evolved indeed.

And this game is in serious need of AA @1080P but seeing as it's already running so poorly... gotta deal with the jaggies.

Will probably try the campaign tomorrow, I feel like a noob getting manhandled by the AI. I used to roll with the brits in COH, was more of a "defensive style" of player so I guess I have to revise my strategies for this one.

Tak3n

Banned
you dont realise how good the computer is on hard, was in a 4vs 4 and we looked like losing, one of the players quit, AI took over, and literally destroyed the map, ended up with 8000 more damage than everyone else

we went from being on 145 points, to winning easily

Hate to to put another "game is poorly optimized" post to the pile but its true.

For some reason even after OCing my i5 to 4.5GHz I didn't get any fps gains whatsoever, I guess it at least got me to stop putting it off and actually doing it.

Settings that I'm using
A253672E8076165541A728B133B7EBF823C924D1

Results

Running on a single GTX 670

Quirah

matchmaking system is awful. i am just 1 level and matched with 30+ guys two times. i played 5 games and won 3 of them. multiplayer is good as always imo.

Icefire1424

So this can probably be considered venting, but after going 0 for 4 in Skirmishes against Normal AI last night (with a useless AI teammate), I REALLY wish AT and MG units would turn to face an enemy actively engaging them. Yes, I know it's on me for not micromanaging faster, but still seems a bit silly that a flanked or enveloped MG / AT unit just sits there and gets shot up if I don't immediately turn them to face the threat. Kinda irked me in CoH, would've thought units having the initiative to do this on their own wouldn't be a huge game breaker. But I digress.

...still getting my ass kicked as the Ruskies, just not as badly. Getting to the point where I'm at least taking a whole pile of dead Nazi's with me anyways.

Volodja

So this can probably be considered venting, but after going 0 for 4 in Skirmishes against Normal AI last night (with a useless AI teammate), I REALLY wish AT and MG units would turn to face an enemy actively engaging them. Yes, I know it's on me for not micromanaging faster, but still seems a bit silly that a flanked or enveloped MG / AT unit just sits there and gets shot up if I don't immediately turn them to face the threat. Kinda irked me in CoH, would've thought units having the initiative to do this on their own wouldn't be a huge game breaker. But I digress.

...still getting my ass kicked as the Ruskies, just not as badly. Getting to the point where I'm at least taking a whole pile of dead Nazi's with me anyways.
This would probably open up the possibility for the enemy to trick your mgs and ats into redeploying (which is not exactly istant) with a bait on one side and then attacking them from the side you left open which is actually the one you originally setup to defend.
It would basically take the positioning aspect away from your control for units whose positioning is too important .

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Doesn't matter, they could still have the same hidden rating as you, or were the best match when you queued.

Icefire1424

This would probably open up the possibility for the enemy to trick your mgs and ats into redeploying (which is not exactly istant) with a bait on one side and then attacking them from the side you left open which is actually the one you originally setup to defend.

'Tis an excellent point, that. Like I was saying, not a big deal by any sense of the word, just a minor frustration :p.

...doesn't really become an issue mid to late game anyways when I can get a couple units fielded with intersecting fields of fire, just always seems that one unit will somehow get way around my flank and catch my poor machine gunners completely off guard early in the fray.

longdi

Banned
Single player any good in this or is it all about co-op and multi?

SP imo is more sucky than Coh1. Does not have the old RTS feel. Relic made it more like an action RTS for a better term. Planning and counter are less needed. Levels play out faster, think of conscripts spamming if you will.

longdi

Banned
Give AMD and their users a break guys, time for us to have the sunshine.

With vysnc off, single 7970 overclocked. Game Evolved title?
relic00003jlspy.jpg

Icefire1424

Levels play out faster, think of conscripts spamming if you will.

Funny you say that - wonder if that was an intended mechanic within the game, or supposed to be more reminiscent of the Russian "Not a Step Backwards" doctrine from the war - when Conscript spamming pretty much WAS their primary tactic.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
SP imo is more sucky than Coh1. Does not have the old RTS feel. Relic made it more like an action RTS for a better term. Planning and counter are less needed. Levels play out faster, think of conscripts spamming if you will.

The campaign feels worse then the first but the theatre of war stuff is actually fantastic.

Spookie

It gets more tactical later on in the game thankfully.

zugzug

Your level has nothing to do with matchmaking.

fun way to kill your community.

luls I watched a stream last night poor Euro level 40 something matched into a 3v3 match his two teammates were level 1 and 2, one person said it was his first multi match ever. The streamer wasnt' terribly upset on stream he knew new players had to start somewhere. The problem was his opponents team were all higher than level 40. So unless his opponent team queued as a 3 man team(which I don't know if you can do in multi) matchmaking royally fucked the streamer over by matching him with two very low levels instead of pitting the two low levels opposite each other instead of on same team against 3 players higher level than the one experienced player.

Like Ikuu said, levels mean nothing. I got loads for playing against the AI and working my way through the SP. I'm rank 19 and am likely complete shit in MP.

Perhaps, but it is a fair indication of those who have played the game a lot since release, and will perhaps know the maps and what they're doing (as well as unlocked abilities). So, it's still a bit silly that it doesn't at least attempt to match levels close together.

Spookie

Perhaps, but it is a fair indication of those who have played the game a lot since release, and will perhaps know the maps and what they're doing (as well as unlocked abilities). So, it's still a bit silly that it doesn't at least attempt to match levels close together.

Eh the SP plays fairly differently from MP. It's not as bad as Starcraft 2 SP & MP but there is a considerable difference.

Eh the SP plays fairly differently from MP. It's not as bad as Starcraft 2 SP & MP but there is a considerable difference.

I guess, but again that's a strange issue too. You level up from playing and unlock 'bonuses' for units for playing too. So If someone buys this game 6 months down the line and tries MP straight away and their first experience is against a maxed out person with full unlocks... that's a bit shitty.

I guess war isn't fair, but hey.

Tak3n

Banned
I guess, but again that's a strange issue too. You level up from playing and unlock 'bonuses' for units for playing too. So If someone buys this game 6 months down the line and tries MP straight away and their first experience is against a maxed out person with full unlocks... that's a bit shitty.

I guess war isn't fair, but hey.

agreed, but if the person has been playing for 6 months, would probably feel a little pissed off if a guy who just got it had exactly the same unlocks as him...

Also it is easy countered, just dont play 1v1, I never do as it makes you feel like crap, as you get steam rolled by skilled players...

and 4v4 is a hoot, and I have yet to see anyone get nasty with a player in 4v4 because they dont know what to do

agreed, but if the person has been playing for 6 months, would probably feel a little pissed off if a guy who just got it had exactly the same unlocks as him...

Also it is easy countered, just dont play 1v1, I never do as it makes you feel like crap, as you get steam rolled by skilled players...

and 4v4 is a hoot, and I have yet to see anyone get nasty with a player in 4v4 because they dont know what to do

Well yes, and I think that's the point someone was making. It's silly that matchmaking doesn't actually take any of this into account and just throws everyone into the mix.

Sethos

Banned
No way in hell does the unlocks nor the locked commanders turn the tide of the battle. Level is not even a slight indication of skill. People just seem to be blowing it out of proportion.

That was a by-point to the issue that people playing the first game are playing against people who have played countless games, which I think is an issue.

Well it's kinda cool that the MG and AT crews that usually have 3 people, the 2 standbyers have pistols and will shoot at you a little bit but don't do much damage at all. Imagine that a tank was about to roll up, if you're given the order to stay put, if you turned at the enemy behind you youll get flanked from the front. Just like war to follow orders.

zugzug

It's very possible for someone to play quite a lot of games and have the same ranking range as a new player.

http://community.companyofheroes.com/forums/company-of-heroes-2-discussion/topics/XP-How-it-works talks about XP and how they might make it visible in the future.

I really wish they had copied some of the "eSport" features from Dota, let me see what my friends are doing when I'm in-game and let me spectate them.

Dood I'm with you, not trying to be antagonizing. It just sounds like a poorly coded system and poorly implemented matchmaking.

Pretty much everyone on Gaf should agree playing against Bots and earning exp and levels in a game should never equate to anything remotely to be matching anything in multiplayer.

Same problem with COH1 people creating smurf accounts to tromp same level people. But now in COH2 there simply is no matchmaking? And as I asked earlier in this thread no way to make smurf accounts in game part two.

I mean its the same dumb thing any theme Park MMO with PvP atm....allowing high levels to one shot greys and when people complain about it being told perhaps you shouldn't be on a pvp server. WTF that Dev or anyone advocating it as legimate pvp = fired. Unless your game is called Shadowbane, or styled like that where it was known.

Aselith

It's very possible for someone to play quite a lot of games and have the same ranking range as a new player.

http://community.companyofheroes.com/forums/company-of-heroes-2-discussion/topics/XP-How-it-works talks about XP and how they might make it visible in the future.

I really wish they had copied some of the "eSport" features from Dota, let me see what my friends are doing when I'm in-game and let me spectate them.

They don't even have custom controls. I don't think they're capable of such complexity.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I mean its the same dumb thing any theme Park MMO with PvP atm....allowing high levels to one shot greys and when people complain about it being told perhaps you shouldn't be on a pvp server. WTF that Dev or anyone advocating it as legimate pvp = fired. Unless your game is called Shadowbane, or styled like that where it was known.

But the level doesn't prove a thing, their matchmaking is going off a hidden rating.

Sethos

Banned
I wish developers would stop using ranks / numbers in general, because people never ever get the fact they are meaningless. Same shit with every Call of Duty thread or any game for that matter, "Oh he's higher rank, he must be better" except they are a useless number, they tell you NOTHING. A low rank will imply they haven't played it very much but what if the guy behind that account is a vCoH veteran, what if that guy played in the Alpha, what if they guy trained on another account, what if that guy is a developer, what if that guy ...

Stop it, just stop it.

Once people have been placed and seeded in their matchmaking, you might see more evenly matched games that STILL aren't based on the little useless number next to their names.

Top Bottom