• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee Discussion Thread

J@hranimo

Banned
He joked one time that if he wins Evo for Smash 4, he would try to focus on Melee and get really good at that. Hope was kinda serious <.< Dude is super smart.

I actually hope he does get serious with Melee, because he's pretty much mastered Smash 4. I want to see him level up in Melee and become the
7th
Smash God. He can definitely do it given some time.

emb

My brother messed with that Crazy Marth game. He got 220 on laser on his third try...
I tried it for around 10 minutes... best I could do was 140. :(
I actually hope he does get serious with Melee, because he's pretty much mastered Smash 4. I want to see him level up in Melee and become the
7th
Smash God. He can definitely do it given some time.
Maybe. I dunno, some people are pretty good at Melee too, and I feel like he was somewhat focused on it during that period where PM was popular, Brawl was declining, but before Smash 4 was out. If nothing else it'd be nice to see Smash 4 GFs at majors that were actually competitive. So far Zero has been stomping those like they were locals.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

I think if he was more serious about Smash and had some better people to practice against and learn from he could be legit good. He can react so fast and when he hits his punishes they are so on point. His Roy (PM) and Falco (Melee/PM) can tear me to pieces when he's going.

Of course that kind of works both ways. We're both really momentum-heavy and our matches tend to not be close, one of us usually wins by a pretty solid margin.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven

Maybe. I dunno, some people are pretty good at Melee too, and I feel like he was somewhat focused on it during that period where PM was popular, Brawl was declining, but before Smash 4 was out. If nothing else it'd be nice to see Smash 4 GFs at majors that were actually competitive. So far Zero has been stomping those like they were locals.

I don't think Zero has "mastered" Smash 4. He's way above and beyond the pack, but by no means he can't get better at Smash 4. I'm sure if he let his guard down, someone would catch up real fast. Btw, have Nairo & Zero played against each other in a tourney setting or only in friendlies?

NEO0MJ

I don't think Zero has "mastered" Smash 4. He's way above and beyond the pack, but by no means he can't get better at Smash 4. I'm sure if he let his guard down, someone would catch up real fast. Btw, have Nairo & Zero played against each other in a tourney setting or only in friendlies?

Plus, he only won because of Diddy! :mad:

/s

Though I do wonder what he'll do without him. I feel the nerf-axe is gonna fall hard on the chimp.

Tripon

A couple of online tournaments and once in L.A. for Final Battle, back in January.

Revven

Well, this weekend is I'm Not Yelling and the final count for entrants is 330 -- Leffen, Armada, and Mang0 are all going to be there as well. I can't wait.

Expect a tournament thread for it, too.

Hey Revven are you making a thread for I'm Not-

Well, this weekend is I'm Not Yelling and the final count for entrants is 330 -- Leffen, Armada, and Mang0 are all going to be there as well. I can't wait.

good

wait where can I view the entrants?

Daouzin

Nice, I know what I'll be doing this weekend.

Linkhero1

I booted up Melee for the first time in 8 years. I've never been competitive before and I really want to get into it now. Better late then never eh? Any guides or helpful tips for a newbie? So far I'm practicing SHFFL and Wavedashing. Anything else I should know or practice? I've decided to main Marth and possibly Falco.

emb

I booted up Melee for the first time in 8 years. I've never been competitive before and I really want to get into it now. Better late then never eh? Any guides or helpful tips for a newbie? So far I'm practicing SHFFL and Wavedashing. Anything else I should know or practice? I've decided to main Marth and possibly Falco.
If you're looking for things to practice, check out the techniques here:
http://www.smashlounge.com/#tech

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Look for a local scene to play with. You can only do so much by yourself and with CPUs. Playing and learning with some more experienced players can help you a lot, people who have been playing for a while can offer you some specific advice to help you improve and eliminate bad habits.

And if you're not using it, check out Melee 20XX.

Oh, and a couple other "basic" advanced techniques you might want to think about are jump canceled grab (really easy to learn, just roll the stick to the up position as you grab) and DI/SDI.

Linkhero1

Thank you guys. I joined my local scene's Facebook group. Going to post there later and see if there are any smashfests going on in my area.

xezuru

Wak's How to Play is pretty much the go to for starting out.
For getting deeper into Marth, PewpewU's Youtube channel has been doing alot for more technical/advanced aspects. As well as Zhu/Catuar's Smash Practice channel.

Other than that, I wholeheartedly recommend trying Netplay if your computer/internet can run it, get in there and play with people.

Linkhero1

Lol my work blocked smashlounge 10 mins after accessing it. -__-

Wak's How to Play is pretty much the go to for starting out.
For getting deeper into Marth, PewpewU's Youtube channel has been doing alot for more technical/advanced aspects. As well as Zhu/Catuar's Smash Practice channel.

Other than that, I wholeheartedly recommend trying Netplay if your computer/internet can run it, get in there and play with people.

Great stuff. How reliable is Netplay? Is there any noticeable lag?

xezuru

Lol my work blocked smashlounge 10 mins after accessing it. -__-

There's obviously delay because you're playing online, but if you're playing someone within same region (same state to simplify in example) with both your computers running Dolphin smooth, the lag you experience can be so minimal it can semi-pass as offline. I mean honestly in a good connection in region, I image you can't be loosing more than a frame or two in delay, a far far imagined idea from Brawl Wii Online.

Shimesaba

Netplay is fine, but don't treat it as a replacement for going out to tournaments in person if you have a local scene.

Re: techniques, shffling and wavedashing are probably the most important two to get down first, and Falco and Marth are both strong choices for a new player, so you're all set there.

With Marth especially, you'll also want to work on dashdancing. With Falco, you'll want to incorporate short hop lasers (+ turnaround) to stuff (ftilt/grab/etc) and waveshines next. While you're still learning to waveshine, doing wavedashes straight down out of shine is a little bit easier and will let you get better followups than just jumping out of the shine.

xezuru

Played PM for the first time in a couple months with my busted controller.

My spacing and DI are definitely disgustingly bad, the waves of a buster.
Amongst all my rust and garbage play, atleast I got a triple hard knee combo.

Speaking of PM, NorthWest Majors has Project M on their line of games, it's not a Smash Exclusive tournament, but it airs at the end of April, I think, so if you enjoy PM show your support.

Shimesaba

PPU training to be the replacement M2K? ;)

Welcome to 2015, PewPewU is a better Melee player than M2K now :V

For real though PPU's movement just gets better every tournament. M2K wishes he could play the neutral like that. I think if PPU had played around the between-stocks invincibility better, he would've taken that set over Leffen.

Azure J

I hate that PewPew is using white Marth. Default Marth is the only Marth. :p

Geez that match started off fucking nuts.

Videoneon

So this is sort of old news, but I thought I'd just post it here and see if there were any thoughts

https://twitter.com/Poor_Zhu/status/586901587026714624

Took second at Temple Weekly 4 going all Fox. Feels more comfortable than Falco overall. Sorry B I R D B O Y S but it might be happening.

flaco =( Of all the characters for this to happen to, it's weird to see Falco sort of fall off like this, even if only slightly so

But if anything, it just means that Zhu will dual main spacies. Who are the high level Falco solo mains left? Zanguzen? Frootloop? Larry Lurr? It's hard for me to think of Westballz as a solo Falco main

Jesus, this match from INY is crazy:

lol, I posted the same match above you.

I watched Leffen beating Kira like it was the usual for him, and then here comes PPU with the Marth straight out of a PPMD combo video. Shit was so hype, especially when you could see Leffen waking up at the end of game 2.

Lazulic

So this is sort of old news, but I thought I'd just post it here and see if there were any thoughts

https://twitter.com/Poor_Zhu/status/586901587026714624

flaco =( Of all the characters for this to happen to, it's weird to see Falco sort of fall off like this, even if only slightly so

But if anything, it just means that Zhu will dual main spacies. Who are the high level Falco solo mains left? Zanguzen? Frootloop? Larry Lurr? It's hard for me to think of Westballz as a solo Falco main

is it 20XX yet

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
At least after INY we know Armada shouldn't be dropping the Peach anytime soon, she won him the tourney.

PM putting up for Big House 5 too. KO kingpin basically said he would do whatever it takes to get PM there (offered to TO it and everything) and put up $500, now a ton of other people are following his lead and offering money and support.

Daouzin

Not sure if you guys have been following the AZ tournament about to happen. It's going to feature all 6 gods and is going to have a pretty big turnout.

Entrants
Melee: 230
PM: 111
Smash 4: 145

MVG SandStorm:
http://www.mvgsandstorm.com/

Entrants #s including cross game info:
Melee: 230, PM Share: 51, Smash 4 Share, 19
PM: 111, Melee Shares: 50, Smash 4 Shares: 18
Smash 4: 145, PM Shares: 19 , Melee Shares: 20

I don't think my Fox is ready for any tournament with more than 100 people going to it, but I'll have Ganon as my back up.

lol, I posted the same match above you.

I watched Leffen beating Kira like it was the usual for him, and then here comes PPU with the Marth straight out of a PPMD combo video. Shit was so hype, especially when you could see Leffen waking up at the end of game 2.

Sorry, I checked the posts directly above me, but was too hype to check properly apparently.

Jigolo

CCjBE95UgAIGcHM.jpg:orig

Revven

Not sure if you guys have been following the AZ tournament about to happen. It's going to feature all 6 gods and is going to have a pretty big turnout.

Entrants

MVG SandStorm:

I don't think my Fox is ready for any tournament with more than 100 people going to it, but I'll have Ganon as my back up.

I'll be making a thread on it like INY, dun worry about it.

Josh5890

Entrants

MVG SandStorm:

Sorry, I checked the posts directly above me, but was too hype to check properly apparently.

It doesn't say on the website when the tournament is. Unless I missed it.

FZZ

Banned
Just reminding everyone to watch the hypest set of I'm Not Yelling top 8, second only to Grand Finals.

PPU training to be the replacement M2K? ;)

Welcome to 2015, PewPewU is a better Melee player than M2K now :V

For real though PPU's movement just gets better every tournament. M2K wishes he could play the neutral like that. I think if PPU had played around the between-stocks invincibility better, he would've taken that set over Leffen.

I just wanted to chime in to say that it is fucking obvious that M2K's neutral game with his Marth isn't that good, he admits it himself. But the fact that his punish game from 2007 outclasses PPMD's and PewPewU's speaks volumes of how good he is at making you pay for fucking up.

It's sickening.

Daouzin

I'll be making a thread on it like INY, dun worry about it.

I'm not sure if you've made the thread yet, but there will be a Salty Suite on Friday that will be streamed. I think they are still setting up matches though.

MVG said:
Hey, guys! I'm pleased to announce that there will be a Salty Suite the Friday night before Sandstorm.

Here is our current lineup:
A Falco Round-Robin featuring PC Chris, Westballz, and our very own AXE and Forward!

Mac D vs MEDZ

Silly Kyle vs Gahtzu

The action will be live-streamed on
http://twitch.tv/mvg_league/

Top Bottom