• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee Discussion Thread

Azure J

lol at this Twitter exchange

Robin Harn ‏@JuggleRob Apr 21
@MacDsmash Considering how often @TSM_Leffen travels to America these days, he should just move here already!

MacD ‏@MacDsmash Apr 21
@JuggleRob @TSM_Leffen as much as we would all love that. he loves Sweden and his GF soooooo RIP

William Hjelte
‏@TSM_Leffen
@MacDsmash @JuggleRob dont forget tap water and healthcare

https://twitter.com/TSM_Leffen/status/590733636623826944

This is so amazing. :lol

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I don't even really have a tag. I just enter as chaosblade and use nothing for the in-game tag.

Maybe one of these days I'll grow into something.

emb

I don't even really have a tag. I just enter as chaosblade and use nothing for the in-game tag.

Maybe one of these days I'll grow into something.
What's wrong with chaosblade as a tag? Seems fine to me.

For a Melee in-game tag, you could use cb or caos or blde. Or c and then draw the little mini sword from the Japanese characters. Then for PM you can just use chaos or blade.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
It's just boring, and corny. 13 year old me would be disappointed to hear that.

Would be nice to have something that is creative, funny, interesting, or have some meaning behind it beyond "I thought it was cool a decade and a half ago."

One thing I do like about it is having blade in the name and not being a Marth user ;D
Those days are long past and my Marth was never anything more than scrubby anyway.

emb

It's just boring, and corny. 13 year old me would be disappointed to hear that.

Would be nice to have something that is creative, funny, interesting, or have some meaning behind it beyond "I thought it was cool a decade and a half ago."

One thing I do like about it is having blade in the name and not being a Marth user ;D
Those days are long past and my Marth was never anything more than scrubby anyway.
Mine's worse, it's just initials. :(

But that's kinda the reason I went with something boring. I wanted to play super safe to make sure I didn't hate it in the next 10 years or whatever. For what's it's worth, chaosblade doesn't seem that bad to me; in general, you're almost always your own biggest critic.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
in general, you're almost always your own biggest critic.

That's true, just wait until I start recording and watching my own gameplay. It will be scathing!

I just need to figure out how to do it, since my capture card doesn't support analog input at all. Thought about getting a Dazzle or something similar but I'd have nothing near my CRT to plug it into.

emb

Came across this and thought people might appreciate it.

"How to "PC Drop" or Turn Around Ledge Grab - Melee"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw9pfO9UORU
I love the way this looks.

I used to try to do it all the time, but I never got consistent with the timing. Nowadays I just haven't even been going for it.

I usually just do a fairly slow wavedash forward (or run cancel?), then dash away from edge to wavedash to edge. I'm not even sure I remember exactly what I'm doing, but I know how to do it via muscle memory at least.

Videoneon

Are the Gods playing in at least one of those ?

Armada (and Android!) and Leffen are at Drommelan in Norway.

Beyond that, no. Mew2King is in Japan (got 2nd in that whack-ass tourney), PPMD is Kreygasm, Hungrybox is bruh and Mang0krey

The offering is quite good this weekend.

Jigolo

Mang0, the only God the really matters, is too busy playing GTAV. Apparently it's his first time ever playing a story based game.

Melee practice < GTA V

He's the only god I follow on twitch. I think it's pretty amazing how well he plays at most tournament's when he actually plays other games like CS:GO and GTA:V (mind you I don't know what the others play)

He's the only god I follow on twitch. I think it's pretty amazing how well he plays at most tournament's when he actually plays other games like CS:GO and GTA:V (mind you I don't know what the others play)

Honestly, only Armada really practices out of the five gods consistently. Hbox just got done with school, M2K plays Smash4, PPMD is missing, and Mang0 does whatever he wants as he only cares about getting that 3VO trophy. That's probably one of the reasons Armada is doing so well, everyone else is just preoccupied with other endeavors.

Shimesaba

Honestly, only Armada really practices out of the five gods consistently. Hbox just got done with school, M2K plays Smash4, PPMD is missing, and Mang0 does whatever he wants as he only cares about getting that 3VO trophy. That's probably one of the reasons Armada is doing so well, everyone else is just preoccupied with other endeavors.

They all practiced like crazy for Evo last year, Mango and Hbox included. If you go back and watch Mango's interviews from last summer he talks about practicing until his hands hurt. He just doesn't put that kind of effort in for other tournaments.

Tripon

Smash 4 ran late yesterday due to only have 7 set ups for a 120+ man bracket and trying to play all of round 3 winners on stream. Yes, all of it, even if it meant people not playing on open set ups. So that meant Melee pools weren't streamed. Melee top 6 should be on the main stream, and they're streaming Top 16 on the 62bit gaming right now.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sure you know already but power shielding the lasers heavily disrupts Falco's laser game, which of course is not always easy to do :p

I can't power shield so it doesn't really help.

And even if I could he uses approaching lasers a lot. I was kind of able to take advantage of that but if I did try to power shield those I'd probably get grabbed a lot.

(Fixed that because it didn't really make sense, lol)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I just noticed in the 20XX training pack, when you select Melee in Vs Mode, and it shows the little "preview" of the character select screen in the box on the right side, all four characters are Fox. Thought that was kind of funny, because I'm pretty sure that isn't in the standard game.

emb

I just noticed in the 20XX training pack, when you select Melee in Vs Mode, and it shows the little "preview" of the character select screen in the box on the right side, all four characters are Fox. Thought that was kind of funny, because I'm pretty sure that isn't in the standard game.
Heh, that's pretty funny. I never noticed.

I just checked the defaults, couldn't make out the first two at a glance, but the last two are definitely Pikachu and Mario.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
RIP Melee practice for the next week. My left thumb is out of commission due to a work accident.

Might attempt to play some anyway but I'm not counting on being able to do anything. My movement is garbage enough without a bad thumb.

any hyp tourneys happening soon?

Useful link for you.

http://www.meleeitonme.com/whens-melee-week-10/

Lol, an ICs main took Lucky's Falcon to one stock. Looked like he tried to trick him by making him think he was a scrubby Peach main then counterpicked to Ice Climbers and got a couple wobbles, plus Lucky SD'd once.

Daouzin

Just got 2nd place at a small local.
caf076a3bf7105f3368ea479ed80b37a.jpg

My fox is getting there, but I still had to use Ganon to win some critical matches

Daouzin

How small was this local?

When I won 2nd place at a PM local I won a $5 giftcard.

Like 40 people. A lot of top players didn't go despite the 250$ pot bonus the tournament organizers added.

Super weird. My goal is to get on the top 10 PR for AZ before EVO. Haven't been active until Sandstorm, but at this tournament I beat 11th twice and 12th I 2-0ed in bracket and I placed higher than 9th. The only guy I lost to is Tai, 4th in the AZ PR.

Was happy about the tournament. A few weeks ago my fox couldn't beat these Shieks and my Ganon definitely couldn't either.

It was extra weird because weeklies get like 50-90 people for Melee pretty regularly.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
Mayhem was pretty great tonight. Westballz (W) v Mango (L) grand finals, Mango reset it (after losing TO FICTION IN WINNERS wtf) and eventually took it. Really turned on the super sayain in the end. Looks like he's finally getting back to that 2 time evo champ form.

What's more exciting is seeing players like Westballz and Fiction catching up. Westballz is playing so much better after he's picking the places his ridiculous swaged out tech skill moments come in to play. So excited to see where the game keeps growing to.

Daouzin

Mayhem was pretty great tonight. Westballz (W) v Mango (L) grand finals, Mango reset it (after losing TO FICTION IN WINNERS wtf) and eventually took it. Really turned on the super sayain in the end. Looks like he's finally getting back to that 2 time evo champ form.

What's more exciting is seeing players like Westballz and Fiction catching up. Westballz is playing so much better after he's picking the places his ridiculous swaged out tech skill moments come in to play. So excited to see where the game keeps growing to.

Yeah, same here. I'll have to catch those matches. Westballz in the mix with the gods would be a real wild card. Glad to hear that Mango won the big bucks, I'll be sad if he doesn't win EVO and bring on the hype.

Top Bottom