• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee Discussion Thread

also

Banned
Finally managed to watch the M2K-Leffen sets and, man, those matches were so hype. After winning the Fox ditto he just steamrolled Leffen, he really needed the confidence boost. He was a bit less consistent with Sheik in GF but his Marth edguaring was just so strong. He didn't get everything but he was miles above his recent performances.
Long live the king!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I went to my first local a few weeks ago and got rekt. It felt good to win some friendlies though. My best moment was probably surviving to 200%. At times I was just trying to survive the onslaught during those tourney matches -_-

I've been to some tournaments and actually did better, but that's because the people I was playing generally weren't as good (and I had practiced prior to going). I guess it makes sense the people who go to the weekly sessions and practice against each other are going to be better than the people who just go to monthly tournaments.

Or in my case, go to one tournament every 3 months, but hopefully that will get better.

I've been to some tournaments and actually did better, but that's because the people I was playing generally weren't as good (and I had practiced prior to going). I guess it makes sense the people who go to the weekly sessions and practice against each other are going to be better than the people who just go to monthly tournaments.

Or in my case, go to one tournament every 3 months, but hopefully that will get better.

The funny thing is, while our biweekly top 8 is usually the same people, you see upsets from time to time as placements will change occasionally. What ends up happening though, is you may fall into traps of learning the person more than the character matchup. For example I know my friend's ways of edgeguarding, but that doesn't mean all players who main that character do the same thing.

That's why majors are nice from time to time, as they help you with that truly "random" tournament experience. I only know 2 people in my pools and I've been given brief info on all the others. Can't wait to see if I'm good enough to hold my own outside of my local town.

GamerJM

Banned
I'm hyped for my biweeklies to start back up in a few weeks. I'm curious if I'll do any better now that I can actually do stuff like L cancel, shorthop, shield drop, wavedash more consistently, and powershield some.

Jigolo

I'm so disappointed in myself for missing those matches live. I would have loved to see the chat blow up, lol

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Also @ PAX, Zero was actually giving Leffen some tips on how to play against Hugs the night before. Was amusing to listen to.

Zero: "Hopefully you don't mind me giving you Melee advice although I know you have a lot more techskill than me, but I did pretty well against Hugs when...".

Trying to see whether Leffen followed the advice Zero gave now when watching the match lol.

Edit: I think he did what Zero suggested to be honest. One was to somewhat camp Samus out a bit and force the opponent to approach. The second was something about being able to roll behind Hugs and Hugs not reacting... it's maybe to roll behind Hugs as soon as you hear the grab noise? I see Leffen did that once in the set.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Oh!

Well I might be going, it'll be my first tournament if I do.
Well, I'm definitely going now! You should come too and we'll have a tiny gaf meetup!

I've only ever been to the local tournies here (10-20 people) and I do pretty badly in those, but it's mostly to have fun and learn, anyway.

Azure J

Why can't someone inherit the spirit of Marth Master.
Marth punish game/edgeguarding is the embodiment of the heart and soul of Melee.

Seems like with m2k losing his royalty, the tiara has noone to be passed down to.
Each marth main/secondary excels at one aspect insanely well but is missing the last 20% chunk that puts it all together.

I want this put on a plaque that I can have hanging on my corner office wall in the future. :lol

@Pappas: Why are you even humoring that drivel?

Edit: Anyone have a link/timestamp to the M2K vs Leffen match from PAX? I have been absolute garbage at keeping up with events.

I want this put on a plaque that I can have hanging on my corner office wall in the future. :lol

@Pappas: Why are you even humoring that drivel?

Edit: Anyone have a link/timestamp to the M2K vs Leffen match from PAX? I have been absolute garbage at keeping up with events.

I'm just gonna remind you that Paragon LA is this weekend :p

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I swear I'm going to go insane if I keep reading people saying competitive Melee uses glitches.

Sounds like any Smash thread on GAF outside this one.

I'm just gonna remind you that Paragon LA is this weekend :p

You mean that PM tournament? It's automatically irrelevant because it has PM, let me know when Big House is a week away.

Glad I'm off Sunday to watch the brackets.

Also relevant to Smash, it looks like Dolphin added homebrew support for the game list. Which is really cool and should eliminate any need to create Project M ISOs for folks who play on PC.

sinxtanx

mfw Paragon this weekend

FqO80B9.gif

mfw Paragon this weekend

MFW playing in it:

c2e7347072b6319c873e95d95b431f01537fade7664745380ffb73616582ec35_1.gif

It's awesome because I get paid Friday, have both Friday and Monday off, and get to spend the day before in L.A. doing stuff before settling down to play and watch some awesome Smash.

So hyped for the first PM major in ages, it feels like.

Also last night was the first of two pre-practice sessions for Paragon with the locals. Some of the guys were nice enough to go through all my pool matches and play chars I'm not familiar playing against to get me up to speed. I feel pretty confident now.

I haven't practiced Melee as much as PM, but I could still hold my own in the Melee sets I played so I'm just going to use the Melee pool as a way to get used to the Major jitters and get it out of my system before PM.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Got to go play some Melee tonight. Only got a handful of games against decent players though. Got four stocked by j00t in my second game of the night, wish I played him more because I think I could have started doing better.

Eventually just started playing a guy who didn't seem to know much more than what the buttons did, and he was playing with a broken controller. At that point I wasn't really getting anything out of playing I couldn't get from CPUs (arguably less with 20XX tech/DI) and I found out I was parked illegally (lol), so I just left.

Reminder that Paragon is on the 5th.

It's looking very stacked.

Most known entrants being

Mango, Leffen, Hungrybox, Mew2King, Plup, Axe, Westballz, PewPewU, Shroomed, Lucky, SFAT, Silent Wolf, MacD, S2J, HugS, Wizzrobe, DruggedFox, Colbol, Nintendude, Fly Amanita, Bladewise, Cactuar, Gahtzu, Professor Pro, Tafokints, Blea Gelo, Reno, Ken, Zhu, Chillindude, Laudandus, ChuDat, Tai

A pre-Paragon mini PM tournament is also happening. Not sure if there's a PM thread so I'll just post it here. Featuring: Lucky, TLoc Oracle, Drinking Food, IPunchKidsz, Westballz, Professor Pro

http://www.twitch.tv/socalprojectm

Azure J

It's weird how PM is listed under Brawl now on Twitch. I guess that's better than "Moon."

Ohhhh, so that's what my stream channel was getting hit with that time I tested out PM on it. :lol

That said, hyped for Paragon. Haven't done the full monster experience in a while. :p

sinxtanx

I just assume it's twitch that doesn't want to have to feature PM on the front page when it inevitably gets a fuckton of views during top 8

emb

After all these years I just noticed I didn't have the Crazy Hand trophy. I mean, I knew back then, but I had forgotten. At the time I sucked too bad to manage, but now it's not too bad. Fox's shine kinda breaks the multiple opponent parts, and his laser breaks Bowser. Mario/Peach is probably the hardest of it all, lol.

Also I never realized that gravity was funky on the fighting wireframe adventure mode stage.

Looked through my special messages after grabbing the trophy. I had all the characters by the 8th of December '01, but then slacked off with everything else... didn't get all the stages or see Celebi until mid-March '02. Then had one in 2007 and one in 2013 for 4995 and 10000 vs matches. Then one now for trophies. So nostalgic to just chill out and play this game's single player stuff.

So when's Paragon? <.< Wasn't there going to be a PM thing before it?

After all these years I just noticed I didn't have the Crazy Hand trophy. I mean, I knew back then, but I had forgotten. At the time I sucked too bad to manage, but now it's not too bad. Fox's shine kinda breaks the multiple opponent parts, and his laser breaks Bowser. Mario/Peach is probably the hardest of it all, lol.

Also I never realized that gravity was funky on the fighting wireframe adventure mode stage.

Looked through my special messages after grabbing the trophy. I had all the characters by the 8th of December '01, but then slacked off with everything else... didn't get all the stages or see Celebi until mid-March '02. Then had one in 2007 and one in 2013 for 4995 and 10000 vs matches. Then one now for trophies. So nostalgic to just chill out and play this game's single player stuff.

So when's Paragon? <.< Wasn't there going to be a PM thing before it?

Paragon starts in 1 hour 45 minutes

remember PM randomly moved to hitbox at the last minute

I'm fine with Hitbox, but has PM already happened? I was asleep all day yesterday, so I dunno what's going on. If it happened, who won?

when he says paragon starts today, he means the entire event has not yet begun in any way. nothing at all has happened yet. i think pools will be on starting in about an hour, and top 64 will be tomorrow.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Man, the PM stuff at Paragon sounds crazy. Apparently a bunch of setups just happened to mess up, and there is a lot of speculation that they switched to Hitbox because Twitch didn't want it streamed on their site.

Seems like Twitch is doing more to damage PM than Nintendo is. Wouldn't be a bad thing if PM streamers as a whole made the jump to Youtube or Hitbox.

and the compendium reached the level 1 goal!

that's a $500 pot bonus for Melee singles and +128 to the Melee singles cap (goodbye Apex 2015), and a 2nd Melee stream

emb

and the compendium reached the level 1 goal!

that's a $500 pot bonus for Melee singles and +128 to the Melee singles cap (goodbye Apex 2015), and a 2nd Melee stream
Nice. Hope that thing gets even bigger. Wish I was going. ;__;

when he says paragon starts today, he means the entire event has not yet begun in any way. nothing at all has happened yet. i think pools will be on starting in about an hour, and top 64 will be tomorrow.
Gotcha. When I heard it was a pre-event, I assumed it was all happening well before the tournament proper got going. Looks like the streaming is going now with friendlies though. hitbox.tv/azpm

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Nice. Hope that thing gets even bigger. Wish I was going. ;__;

Gotcha. When I heard it was a pre-event, I assumed it was all happening well before the tournament proper got going. Looks like the streaming is going now with friendlies though. hitbox.tv/azpm

AZPM is the secondary stream I think, Project M Central should be the main one.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
LucidMomentum said he will be there, not sure about any other GAF people.

Fantasy Smash for Big House doesn't start until the 20th? That's what I was looking forward to.

Top Bottom