• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee Discussion Thread

Thanks for the link! Really cool stuff. Seeing things like the platform pressure part is so incredibly cool to me and makes my brain melt. Things like that SH laser -> shine -> Jump cancel -> shine -> double jump and waveland onto the platform and glide off of it and hit with a Dair is too cool. Hopefully I'll be able to keep up as I play more.

Just remember some of us have been playing Melee since launch, so don't feel discouraged if you get styled on from time to time :p

Anth0ny

looks like this is the current SSBM rank top 10 (in some order):

Armada
Leffen
Mango
PPMD
Hbox
M2K
Axe
Westballz
Plup
PewPewU

can't say I disagree. MIOM will release the order in the coming days. Here's #25-11

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
PPU seems too high, I would probably put Shroomed at 10. Plup also seems hard to place since he did really well at Evo but not too good at Apex.

emb

looks like this is the current SSBM rank top 10 (in some order):

Armada
Leffen
Mango
PPMD
Hbox
M2K
Axe
Westballz
Plup
PewPewU

can't say I disagree. MIOM will release the order in the coming days. Here's #25-11
That's tough to order. Can be broken down into certain groups. Armada no lower than 2, Leffen 1-3, Mango 2-4. Hbox no higher than 3. M2K is undoubtedly 6. PPMD could be anywhere 2-5. PPU is certainly 10. I feel like Axe is probably 7. West and Plup 8-9 in either order.

Tomohawk

That's tough to order. Can be broken down into certain groups. Armada no lower than 2, Leffen 1-3, Mango 2-4. Hbox no higher than 3. M2K is undoubtedly 6. PPMD could be anywhere 2-5. PPU is certainly 10. I feel like Axe is probably 7. West and Plup 8-9 in either order.

I think Plup, Axe and Westballz, but mostly plup and axe could arguably put ahead of M2K because they have a better chance against the top 5 even though M2K bops them.

Anth0ny

I think Plup, Axe and Westballz, but mostly plup and axe could arguably put ahead of M2K because they have a better chance against the top 5 even though M2K bops them.

yeah that's always the weird thing

M2K slaughters non-gods (90% of the time, even he loses to them from time to time), but can't seem to take sets off certain gods, while you have Plup coming in and bodying Mango and Leffen like it's nothing.

Tomohawk

yeah that's always the weird thing

M2K slaughters non-gods (90% of the time, even he loses to them from time to time), but can't seem to take sets off certain gods, while you have Plup coming in and bodying Mango and Leffen like it's nothing.

He really needs to get his hands looked at, I think he would be a solid 6 if he got his punish game back or worked on his neutral.

Also looks like HTC dropping that dough on melee.

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/3h12r2/htc_esports_and_showdown_present_htc_throwdown/

Weird they didn't do this for smash 4, but I guess melee's viewership is what they care about or maybe they just fans.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Messed around with a CPU (gasp) and down throw tech chasing. Opponent was Fox, and I did decent when he teched left or right most of the time. Tech in place and no tech messed me up a lot though (especially tech in place, especially especially when he DI'd behind me), as did DI away+tech away. He goes so far the only way to reach him is a boost grab, which I have fortunately practiced quite a bit, but even with that the reaction has to be really fast, most of the time I'd get hit by the get-up shine.

I also don't do a good job shielding get up attacks.

I like that this has given me something substantial to practice, I really wish I knew about the feature sooner.

xezuru

Why can't someone inherit the spirit of Marth Master.
Marth punish game/edgeguarding is the embodiment of the heart and soul of Melee.

Seems like with m2k losing his royalty, the tiara has noone to be passed down to.
Each marth main/secondary excels at one aspect insanely well but is missing the last 20% chunk that puts it all together.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Found out there is weekly practice/friendlies here Wednesday evenings. Awesome stuff, going to try to go regularly.

Also watched KOKingpin win a Pichu vs Ness tournament set, not something you see everyday.

Looks like Paragon is now officially the biggest PM tournament ever, with its biggest prize pool ever. But... I was told PM was dead!

Totals: Melee: 533, PM: 386, Smash 4: 494

Found out there is weekly practice/friendlies here Wednesday evenings. Awesome stuff, going to try to go regularly.

Also watched KOKingpin win a Pichu vs Ness tournament set, not something you see everyday.

Looks like Paragon is now officially the biggest PM tournament ever, with its biggest prize pool ever. But... I was told PM was dead!

Totals: Melee: 533, PM: 386, Smash 4: 494

Smash 4 beat it at its own major, PM is a dead game confirmed /s

edit: Paragon is also the 8th largest Melee tournament and the 5th largest Smash 4 tournament

The Big House 5 is already ahead of Paragon for Melee though

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
PM3.6 not-beta released. Some interesting changes:

Warioware PM replaced with Wario Land, looks pretty cool.
Bowser's Castle got an alt stage, I assume it's this one.
Couple other stages brought back as alt stages.
Rolls and spotdodges were changed to be consistent across characters, so everyone has the same number of vulnerable frames.
Sheik's throws aren't dumb anymore.
Fox's shine nerf fixed.
Samus/ZSS don't transform during their final smash unless you hold B.
A new announcer that doesn't suck.

Still no Roy alt costume. Lol.
Awakening Roy alt is coming soon and looks awesome.

Should I post the OT I was working on? Not sure how many people will care that don't post here.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
"Less dumb" might be more accurate since they reverted them to 3.5 and not NTSC Melee or whatever. I didn't play it much, but I did like two downthrows while playing against my brother and said outloud "these throws are awful."

PM BOWSER IS BACK, BABY!

SEE Y'ALL LOSERS AT PARAGON!

Tilts
--Linger Hit damage increased (10/9/8 -> 11/10/9) KB uncompensated.

-Up Tilt
--Hand position during animation tweaked further to enlarge Sweet Spot range

-Forward Smash
--Light Armor is now Medium Armor.
--Armor Activates 3 frames sooner, frame 31 -> 28.

-Down Smash
--Reduced Startup 13 -> 7 frames.

-Side Special (Koopa Klaw)
--Aerial momentum reworked to be more consistent with grounded movement.
--Adjusted stick sensitivity on grabs to match regular throw sensitivities.
--Koopa Klaw Forward Throw Angle 74 -> 77, Growth 50 -> 40.
--Koopa Klaw Down Throw added.
--Grounded version is a tech-chase slam.
--Aerial version is a spike.

-Up Special (Aerial Fortress)
--Aerial Mobility altered to aid in Fortress Hogging, 0.02 -> 0.035

-Increased movement on numerous moves to better match 3.5
--Dash Attack
--Dash Grab
--Under 100 Ledge Attack
--Forward and Backwards Rolls
--Tech Rolls
--Tech Roll movement tweaked to be more ambiguous as to which direction Bowser has teched.
--Airdodge positioning adjusted to correct unintentional waveland difficulty

TL;DR:

eZlFcRe.gif

JIoTSQv.gif

GET DUNKED

Pappasman

Armada just won a tournament over Lucky with Shiek.

Not really a fan of some of the PAL differences, but PAL Shiek seems like a much more interesting character.

Edit: is Ike still godlike in PM?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Ike has seen some nerfs in 3.5 and 3.6 but he's still really good.

Then again these days in PM nearly every character could be considered "really good" in the right hands. Only a few characters are notably better or worse than the majority.

Got my current custom music list into 3.6. Swapped a couple primary and alt stages so they would be picked on random select - Melee battlefield (also edited SSS pictures) and Bowser's Castle.

Thinking about doing a Stadium retexture themed for the local group here, like the various ones I've seen on streams. Wouldn't be hard to do if I just dabble with the main platform textures and not anything else.

Mango's combo sense is fucking ridiculous.

http://youtu.be/fuM2uIep3ts

Grokbu, this is what happens when you learn your character and get a feel for the game.

Anyways, sad to hear [A]rmada won't make it to Paragon. One less guy to worry about getting in my way though...

I also love how everyone in my local FB group for PM is freaking out about Bowser now. The command throw has them legit shook.

The Zelda mains are so upset by the nerfs to her up-b. If I had a quarter for every time I tried to time it right and still ate the fire I wouldn't need to go to Paragon. I welcome the change.

emb

Top 6 rankings are out now

1) Armada
2) Leffen
3) Mango
4) PPMD
5) Hungrybox
6) Mew2King
Number 1 isn't released yet. You're making so many assumptions. There's a good chance Armada is 1, but hey, it could be any of the other 7 billion-ish people in the world. It's unfair to them to assume AR is numero uno. (Kappa)

I'm pretty satisfied with the final list actually.

Jigolo

The list is good.

Still salty, fuck Hungry box.

TBH5 is looking to be bigger than APEX from preliminary registered Melee #'s. Not quite sure it will reach EVO numbers but it's going to be gigantic.

The list is good.

Still salty, fuck Hungry box.

TBH5 is looking to be bigger than APEX from preliminary registered Melee #'s. Not quite sure it will reach EVO numbers but it's going to be gigantic.

can't reach Evo numbers, cap is 1024 (while I wouldn't be surprised to see Juggleguy extend this a bit to beat Apex 2015, there's no way he can extend it that far)

Number 1 isn't released yet. You're making so many assumptions. There's a good chance Armada is 1, but hey, it could be any of the other 7 billion-ish people in the world. It's unfair to them to assume AR is numero uno. (Kappa)

I'm pretty satisfied with the final list actually.

You're right. I forgot about FalcoMaster3000.

I've seen so many people salty about Armada over Leffen though. I don't see the issue really... it's the MIOM 2015 Ranking not the MIOM Summer Ranking.

Jigolo

can't reach Evo numbers, cap is 1024 (while I wouldn't be surprised to see Juggleguy extend this a bit to beat Apex 2015, there's no way he can extend it that far)
Didn't even know there was a cap. I thought I read somewhere that they were already close to APEX numbers

PM Paragon Fundraiser shirts arrived!

qY64YJA.jpg

They look so fresh.

Gonna be on netplay for the next hour or so. LucidMomentum, same as my GAF tag.

*Edit* Guys. GUYS. Bowser is OP now. I hate to say it as a Bowser main since 3.0, but he really is. Like, if you're medium weight Koopa Klaw -> Forward Throw -> Fair -> Fair -> Follow up is a thing now. I just took a Roy from 30% to death with that string ending it with an uair as he jumped out of the second fair hit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDnu0tplwcw

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Was going to go play Smash tonight, but the weather is nasty and my tires are crap. Really need to get new ones, maybe tomorrow since I'm off.

Suppose there are always CPUs to tech chase in 20XX. And I could probably play my brother tonight. And my nephew but that wouldn't amount to much.

Daouzin

He really needs to get his hands looked at, I think he would be a solid 6 if he got his punish game back or worked on his neutral.

Also looks like HTC dropping that dough on melee.

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/3h12r2/htc_esports_and_showdown_present_htc_throwdown/

Weird they didn't do this for smash 4, but I guess melee's viewership is what they care about or maybe they just fans.

Yeah, Melee just has too many more viewers. Also, I loved the Dreamhack announcement. I hope that means higher prize pools are on the way for Melee.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Why, but why, must Dreamhack and HTC Throwdown be on the same date?!

I was seriously considering going to Dreamhack but if even the top euros aren't gonna be there it's not gonna be very hype. Plus it will get less attention.

Incidentally, we've been keeping on our weekly meetups (and biweekly tourney). One last night in TLV had 14 entrants which is fantastic. I didn't get last place this time (respectable 9th)!

Why, but why, must Dreamhack and HTC Throwdown be on the same date?!

I was seriously considering going to Dreamhack but if even the top euros aren't gonna be there it's not gonna be very hype. Plus it will get less attention.

Incidentally, we've been keeping on our weekly meetups (and biweekly tourney). One last night in TLV had 14 entrants which is fantastic. I didn't get last place this time (respectable 9th)!

Yeah I figure since HTC was announced first I'll focus on that. Dreamhack will be around later.

Nice! Our Biweekly is tonight, the last one before Paragon. We usually have 40 or so entrants for Smash 4, 30 for Melee, 25-30 for PM, and 10-12 for Smash 64. You start to notice the same few people getting top 5, but it can always vary due to a lot of us being close in skill.

With that being said, I am not sleeping on anyone tonight in PM. Last night I went undefeated on Netplay, ranked up to silver, and 3 stocked a guy 3 times after he changed his tag to my tag + "gay" to try and put me on tilt.

I am in tournament mode for the next two weeks, and I'm shooting for top 8 in PM at Paragon.

Melee players:

Here's a good Marth tutorial on Spacies chaingrabs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSEcRDiOSqk

Top Bottom