• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee Discussion Thread

Codeblue

I hope M2K is just entering Smash 4 if he hasn't gotten his hands looked at. As much as I love watching him play, I'm worried he's doing some irreparable damage every time he picks up a controller.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Went and played against actual, living, breathing people who are decent. Got bodied, but I think I started improving. Had I actually practiced over the last week maybe it would have been less ugly, especially starting out.

Was playing not too far from even with some of the guys in my group by the end. My total inability to edgeguard cost me an awful lot of matches. Most of my attempts to wavedash to the ledge had me air dodging to my doom, which is pathetic since I can do it fine >90% of the time when I'm not pressured. That kind of goes with all of my play though. Easy to look back 5 seconds and say "what the heck was I trying to do?"

Went and played against actual, living, breathing people who are decent. Got bodied, but I think I started improving. Had I actually practiced over the last week maybe it would have been less ugly, especially starting out.

Was playing not too far from even with some of the guys in my group by the end. My total inability to edgeguard cost me an awful lot of matches. Most of my attempts to wavedash to the ledge had me air dodging to my doom, which is pathetic since I can do it fine >90% of the time when I'm not pressured. That kind of goes with all of my play though. Easy to look back 5 seconds and say "what the heck was I trying to do?"

Yeah friendlies and tourney matches help show you what you've got down pat.
Don't worry, the nerves go away after a while!

Westballz dropping out of HTC Throwdown to attend Dreamhack London!

When the dates of two big tournaments clash, it's only natural to follow the money.

Tempo Storm Super Smash Bros. Melee player Weston “Westballz” Dennis has canceled his plans to attend the HTC Throwdown event in San Francisco, California, the player tells the Daily Dot. Instead, he will compete in the recently announced Melee event at DreamHack London. The European event organizer’s first expansion into the Smash series is the most lucrative event in the game's history.

The London event was announced by the organizer last week after a report by the Daily Dot. Unfortunately for several pro players, who are sponsored by HTC, the tournament clashes with the Throwdown event on September 19-20. Others, like Dennis, are free to choose, and DreamHack London has a huge enticement: the biggest prize pool in Melee history at $20,000, nearly double the $12,000 pool at the Throwdown.

DreamHack also confirmed that EVO 2015 champion Adam “Armada” Lindgren and fellow European pro Aaron “Professor Pro” Thomas will attend the event. The event organizer has plans to host Melee as a regular game on its circuit this year with London as its debut tournament.

Dennis’s teammate Jeffrey “Axe” Williamson will compete at HTC Throwdown as planned.

While Dennis may be one of the first pros to jump ship for DreamHack London, he may not be the last. But many of the game's biggest names will likely attend the Throwdown. Due to contractual obligations between their organization’s sponsors and HTC, Cloud9 Joseph “Mang0” Marquez, Team SoloMid’s William “Leffen” Hjelte, and Juan Manuel “Hungrybox” Debiedma are unable to attend the DreamHack event.

http://www.dailydot.com/esports/westballz-htc-throwdown-dreamhack/?tw=es

Westballz is predicted to have a 2nd place finish, which means he will be flown out to Dreamhack Winter, free of charge if he gets top 2. DHW tournament has a 30k prize-pot the biggest in Smash history.

Westballz dropping out of HTC Throwdown to attend Dreamhack London!

Westballz is predicted to have a 2nd place finish, which means he will be flown out to Dreamhack Winter, free of charge if he gets top 2. DHW tournament has a 50k prize-pot the biggest in Smash history.

I thought it was 30k?

ec0ec0

this is pretty random :p

i had never seen the match between wizzrobe and mango at WTFox, although that's not strange, as only on rare occasions i go back to watch top 32 matches. Even when i do, i rarely feel the need to comment about any match in particular. However, there's a short yet ridiculous dash-dance sequence in the wizzrobe vs mango match that i wanted to mention, just in case any other had missed it.

So, you just have to start the following video and watch the first 30 seconds (it happens 28 seconds into the video): https://youtube.com/watch?v=HLAIB2c68iQ

!!!

It's obviously not the first time that i watch mango dash-dancing while his opponent is shielding, but that was particularly scary xD

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Just was at the Smash tourney at PAX towards the end today. I've never even watched a tourney live so it was interesting. Talked a bit to Zero, saw Leffen & Mew2King, and just played Smash 4 friendlies with others. I saw Leffen practicing Melee in front of me, but I didn't dare play a friendly with him considering I haven't played Melee in years and I have no idea how to wavedash, dash dance, etc. I did get to see him murder some poor soul who did eventually face off with him before his match.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I have no CRT right now. Has anyone here spent any time practicing via Nintendon't on a wiiu? How horribly disadvantaged would it make me?

I'd guess it depends on your TV. I felt like it was very slightly off when I tried it, but that might have been placebo. If I used my secondary monitor (VH326H) it might be lagless. I have two CRTs though, so I don't bother with it.

Melee does look beautiful on Wii U though.

Jigolo

VGBC production has been amazing for PAX, I can't wait to see TBH5. The only thing that bothered me was no camera on the players for doubles

TSM getting 3-0'd again

emb

That M2K Leffen set was crazy. Not what I expected at all.

Hope (but doubt) he can pull it off again in grands. I'll stay up for it.

Holy fuck, M2K is going absolutely HAM today in Melee. I really hope he doesn't use this as an excuse to not see a doctor though...

Congratulations to M2K for the win though, it's always good to see him win with how dedicated he is to the game. When he is on, it's a spectacular sight to see.

Anth0ny

THAT'S A 6-0

HOLY CHRIST

winners finals and grand finals m2k today is why he's my favorite player when he's playing his best. dude just wrecks people.

Voliko

Yeah I went to my first local a few weeks ago and got rekt. It felt good to win some friendlies though. My best moment was probably surviving to 200%. At times I was just trying to survive the onslaught during those tourney matches -_-

Jigolo

God damnit. I only watched the first round of top 8 then went to bed.

Will watch the sets later but fuck yes. I wanted M2K to win this tournament

Fuckin' hell, M2K playing like that at a impromptu tourney has me legit shook for this weekend at Paragon.

Speaking of which, my brackets for Melee and PM are A3 and D1, respectively. I have HugS in my Melee pool and SOJ and Axe in my PM pool, but I have byes in both of them so I'm pretty content with the people I'll be facing.

To be honest though, I've put so much more practice into PM than Melee, so I'm glad I have 10AM pools for Melee and 4PM pools for PM. Plenty of time to do my best in one game and get ready for the next.

From my initial research, everyone in my PM pool plays characters that are decent to good matchups for Bowser / Ganon. My goal for Paragon is to make it out of pools and not SD at all during the tournament. I do that way too often at biweeklies.

Top Bottom