• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee Discussion Thread

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
lols now the viewer numbers are going up

edit: if Hbox makes it all the way to grand finals just to lose, he really will be Melee's version of Dabuz

Based on losers finals, this is looking like some Nostradamus posting.

Wow, can't believe M2K turned that match around.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Figured Mango would take it, but M2K looked good too most of the time.

M2K keeps talking about PM on the VGBC stream and it is hilarious. Most people had probably turned off the stream at that point. Toph kept trying to interrupt him and change the subject and M2K just kept bringing it up.

He also said he prefers PM to Smash 4 (and was kind of negative on Smash 4 in general), but I'm pretty sure he has said that before.

Pappasman

I've said it before and I'll say it again. When he's playing on point, M2K is the best Melee player hands down.

He also said he prefers PM to Smash 4, but I'm pretty sure he has said that before.
Ya he cited the same readon I have. The neutral really isn't great.

Mango was playing very solid. Can't be too upset when you lose to him when he's playing like that. To be honest with the way he and everyone else was playing at this tournament I think the only other person I could say with confidence that would of won is Armada.

I'm glad Mango and M2K are playing good again.

Figured Mango would take it, but M2K looked good too most of the time.

M2K keeps talking about PM on the VGBC stream and it is hilarious. Most people had probably turned off the stream at that point. Toph kept trying to interrupt him and change the subject and M2K just kept bringing it up.

He also said he prefers PM to Smash 4 (and was kind of negative on Smash 4 in general), but I'm pretty sure he has said that before.

GimR terrified of losing that splatoon ad money.

Tomohawk

Mango looking good.

Why didn't M2K change from Marth? He always does this.

I think he explained why he does it, saying he feels more consistent with marth. Maybe he could try shiek or fox, but he was so close with marth that its hard for me to question him.

Finally home from Paragon!

So, some pics:

To start, we arrived on Friday after spending the afternoon in L.A. going to the museums. Saw Endeavor which was pretty baller.

If you're ever in the area, Meea's hotdogs are on point:

0OzIZz1.jpg

We got to the Double Tree and it turns out it was the staging area / hotel for most of Nocturnal Wonderland's attendees as well, so it was fun trying to figure out who was there for Smash and who was there to rave. But the evenings were filled with people opening up their rooms for practice sessions with whoever came by.

We spent most of Friday night playing with some Canadian and NY players in PM, while our room hosted Smash 4 with a couple setups.

Saturday I got down there early to help with PM setup because they were short on CRTs and the setups VS provided didn't have PM so the community stepped up with our setups:

tHXj7MW.jpg

mq4pZy8.jpg

OCBgfBo.jpg

5GHzXBE.jpg

And things got going pretty well, despite the 3 hour delay. I had Melee pools first, which I was happy about because I don't practice Melee as much as I do PM.

I went 1-2 in Melee, beating a Fox first before losing to two Peach dittos that I clearly was outplayed in. I didn't SD and I didn't go 0-2, so I was content with that. A couple of our Melee and PM players made it to finals of their pools, but none of us could seal the deal and make it out. I think all in all we had 5 or so of our 15 players almost made it out.

Our Smash 4 players mostly got DQ'd after a couple matches due to the quality of TOs varying greatly from pool to pool. Some would give you a 5 minute warning, others would DQ you if they called your name once and you happened to be in the bathroom. But that's how it goes with volunteer TOs. Someone from our group always misses their matches at majors, so I'm surprised people hadn't learned.

We got lunch at this amazing corner deli:

WLjtTUl.jpg

And came back for the last few PM and Melee pools, including my PM pool. I went 2-2 in PM, with my run ended by none other than SOJ, the PMDT member. I was unfamiliar with the Ness matchup I had for game 1, but games 2 and 3 I won handily. Game 4 was vs SOJ, and his Ganon wasn't having any of my Bowser shenanigans but we went 50/50, right up until the last stock of game 3. I should've up smashed instead of forward smashed, but hindsight is 20/20. He lost to the Ness player who beat me right after, so once again I was content with my performance.

WQHM7Qz.jpg

Sunday we helped M2K warm up for PM:

Mb2YEem.jpg

Helped SOJ record new PM crowd chants:

3Tb1zrE.jpg

And hyped up the top 8 for all 3 games:

lm8jWBu.jpg

S9Ognxj.jpg

lX7IBkZ.jpg

In between playing friendlies and just shooting the breeze with all the players.

I had a ton of fun and would do it again in a heartbeat if another major so close to home happens. In the meantime, I'll have to find more biweeklies / monthlies nearby to attend.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
M2K placed under police watch, Gimr about to go commit a murder lol

That was a whole lot of M2K sending people PMs while playing PM (Pure Marth) dittos and discussing PM (Paper Mario) followed by how much time he's been dedicating to PM (practicing mathematics.) What a guy.

I wanted to tweet to VGBC and M2K something like "Thanks for helping me discover Project M, it's awesome." But I realize that would be kind of a dick thing to do.

I wanted to tweet to VGBC and M2K something like "Thanks for helping me discover Project M, it's awesome." But I realize that would be kind of a dick thing to do.

DO IT. THE PM JANK MUST FLOW.

One of our Kern County players took quite a liking to PM over the weekend. He plays mainly Melee, but after an afternoon of friendlies he remarked that it felt super smooth.

Pappasman

Yo that hot dog looks good af

Unfortunately, the plastic came off of my oldest GC controller's analog stick. I cut the shit out of my thumb playing on it the other day and said enough is enough. I don't suppose anyone here has any suggestions on how to fix it?

Yo that hot dog looks good af

Unfortunately, the plastic came off of my oldest GC controller's analog stick. I cut the shit out of my thumb playing on it the other day and said enough is enough. I don't suppose anyone here has any suggestions on how to fix it?

Meea's > Pink's. The buns fit the dogs, it's all homemade, and the place was small yet plenty comfortable with the nice little patio area.

Also, check these out:

http://www.gaminggenerations.com/store/gamecube-controller-analog-replacement-p-2530.html

Sure they may not be 1st party, but like NES controllers it'll work well enough that you probably won't notice.

The Big House 5 compendium update: level 2 has been reached! This means Vinnie is going, the regional crew battle will have 4 teams and a $500 pot bonus, and the Wii U singles cap will be raised by 128 (...although I wonder if it can even reach 512 tbh).

FZZ

Banned
Why are so few Smash 4 players signing up for TBH5?

Turn out has been great for literally every other tourney usually equaling or exceeding Melee.

Kids probably started school and ain't on summer break anymore Kappa

Pappasman

ec0ec0

whenever i touch my gamecube, i play with a controler with the same problem. I've been using it for years lol

I may as well comment on mew2king...

If i were any of you, i wouldn't get to excited for mew2king:

"My strategy is to NOT play so my fingers last longer. And smash4 doesn't really do nothin much to em. It is hard to be consistent or improve in melee (or be at late 2013/early 2014 level) with that strat tho, but it's the safest/best i can do"

So, his "strategy" for his hand problems is not touching melee/PM outside of tournaments, or at least not playing much. However, when he does play at tournaments, he probably plays hours and hours of fox (between melee, PM, friendlies/practice sessions) aside from all his other sets. Sometimes he's just fine. That makes me think that his hands could probably recover (at least significanlty) if he actually went to the doctor + use some weeks/months? doing whatever they tell him to do.

Fanfiction aside, he won't stop. There's going to be a lot of money to win in the next months. Mew2king will keep playing, maybe playing/practicing more :/ The fact that there's going to be a big PAL tournament at the end of the year is probably not going to help either. I mean, he won't be able to rely as much on sheik in the PAL version (specially on matchups outside of space animals where sheik uses down throw for everything :p), and his marth looks far from "perfect" right now.

Mew2king was complaining about this hands not much ago. If all he's doing about it is playing less, there's no reason to believe that hand pain can't come back. This will be specially true if he feels the need to start playing a little more.

p.s. more people need to go doctor mario against him in tournament.

The Big House 5 compendium hit level 3! That brings Waffles and Phil over for commentary (presumably), adds $500 to the Wii U singles pot and increases the Melee singles cap another 128, to 1280 which it will hit before Wii U singles reaches 512.

On a different note, HTC Throwdown capped? 387 singles entrants

also

Banned
That really is amazing. Puts the replay system of Brawl and Smash 4 to shame. Makes me wonder how big the replays are going to be. It probably only saves user inputs so it shouldn't be to big. It will be fun to compare how many more inputs are in a high level match bersus regular ones.

double post because it's not like anyone else posted since then

The Big House 5 compendium hit both level 5 and 6, which means Javi and Ice are getting flown over for Melee, the Melee and Smash 4 singles caps are raised another 128 each (bringing the caps to 1536 and 768 respectively), VGBC Instant Replay is here, the Melee singles pot bonus is now $1000, and lastly the crew battle has been expanded to 8 teams and a $5000 prize pool.

also, Dreamhack Austin has Melee, which is nice

Tomohawk

double post because it's not like anyone else posted since then

The Big House 5 compendium hit both level 5 and 6, which means Javi and Ice are getting flown over for Melee, the Melee and Smash 4 singles caps are raised another 128 each (bringing the caps to 1536 and 768 respectively), VGBC Instant Replay is here, the Melee singles pot bonus is now $1000, and lastly the crew battle has been expanded to 8 teams and a $5000 prize pool.

also, Dreamhack Austin has Melee, which is nice

What are the teams for crew battles.

What are the teams for crew battles.

I think they are being voted on. Not sure though.

They are being voted on by the people donating money to the thing. if you go on the compendium stage and scroll all the way down you can see the current rankings and how many teams are currently in.

right now it's

midwest
socal
norcal
europe
florida
md/va
tristate
canada

in that order. the southwest and new england look close enough to the bottom ranks that there's a chance things might shuffle around -for example i'm pretty sure tristate was ahead of md/va last time i looked, so swings do happen, though that matters less now that we're up to 8 crews.

Tomohawk

They are being voted on by the people donating money to the thing. if you go on the compendium stage and scroll all the way down you can see the current rankings and how many teams are currently in.

right now it's

midwest
socal
norcal
europe
florida
md/va
tristate
canada

in that order. the southwest and new england look close enough to the bottom ranks that there's a chance things might shuffle around -for example i'm pretty sure tristate was ahead of md/va last time i looked, so swings do happen, though that matters less now that we're up to 8 crews.

Thanks didn't know it was being voted on. I wonder how their going to convince people to do the crewbattles, people seem to skip out on them.

Top Bottom