• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee Discussion Thread

Thanks didn't know it was being voted on. I wonder how their going to convince people to do the crewbattles, people seem to skip out on them.
Compendium levels also pump money into the pot for the crew battle. I forget what it's at now.The top level will be pretty high if the thingmakes it

level 7 completed, it's just the Tafokints+Melee analyst desk though

so...do they plan on having new rewards after level 10?

edit: this is the last day of registration, Melee is currently over 1300 and Smash 4 is currently over 500

Tomohawk

Saw the 20XXTE replay trailer and makes me wonder if it would be possible to retrieve the position and animation states of characters on screen and use that in a separate program with maybe custom or smash 4 models, so for viewers at least melee HD would exist. I can see a lot of hurdles in developing such a program though.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Saw the 20XXTE replay trailer and makes me wonder if it would be possible to retrieve the position and animation states of characters on screen and use that in a separate program with maybe custom or smash 4 models, so for viewers at least melee HD would exist. I can see a lot of hurdles in developing such a program though.

I've seen some people suggest having it added to PM, since modifying Brawl's replay system is apparently exceedingly difficult.

Replays+Dolphin is already going to provide that effective Melee HD though.

level 8 and 9 completed ($1000 Smash 4 singles pot bonus, non-esports commentary for Melee, $2000 Melee singles pot bonus, overnight Smash 4 ballroom), and apparently now there's levels 11-15!

remember that the pot bonuses aren't cumulative though, so the Melee singles bonus is only $2000 right now (and Smash 4 at $1000)

FZZ

Banned
Ppmd is streaming on twitch right now if any of you are interested

Apparently he's gonna talk about the big house

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
YO TBH5 is HYPE AS FUCK already.

I legitimately need that PPMD vs Mang0 Winner's or Grand Finals. They haven't faced once in 2015.

So MLG New Orleans will have both Melee and Smash 4, $10000 prize pool for each game (I find it funny how it's less than the $15000 for MLG Anaheim, but at least it's for two games now), and a tentative 256 player cap per game.

also The Big House 5 schedule:
TBH5_TourneySchedule_091615.png

Anth0ny

So MLG New Orleans will have both Melee and Smash 4, $10000 prize pool for each game (I find it funny how it's less than the $15000 for MLG Anaheim, but at least it's for two games now), and a tentative 256 player cap per game.

also The Big House 5 schedule:

you know, I always wanted to go to an MLG

but I'm busy that weekend. shit. new orleans sounds like fun.

all 6 gods showing up to big house 5 would be crazy. they might as well stay for mlg, too. autumn of smash?!?

Jigolo

So happy TBH5 times are all in EST (Michigan FTW). Even if the tourney does run late, it won't be finishing at 2-3 AM like most west coast tourneys

emb

you know, I always wanted to go to an MLG

but I'm busy that weekend. shit. new orleans sounds like fun.

all 6 gods showing up to big house 5 would be crazy. they might as well stay for mlg, too. autumn of smash?!?
This fall has definitely been stacked. We've had P@X, HTC, Dreamhack, and now MLG all announced out of nowhere with big prize pools. Plus Paragon. And BH5 looks like it's going to be one of the highlights of the year.

other fun facts for The Big House 5:

56/100 of the MIOM top 100 are attending, I believe this, Apex, and Evo are the only tournaments this year with at least half

1320 Melee singles entrants, 516 Smash 4 singles entrants (so Smash 4 did need its first cap increase....barely; Melee went through two full cap increases and ate into a decent chunk of its 3rd)

Pappasman

I'm seeing a lot of backlash to MLG. The event last year was a TOing disaster and many players said it was a bad experience. I wonder if all those who said they won't return will stick to their words.

emb

I'm seeing a lot of backlash to MLG. The event last year was a TOing disaster and many players said it was a bad experience. I wonder if all those who said they won't return will stick to their words.
It was a pretty bad viewing experience at times too.

"It's not barbecue without the right ingredients. Oh, and cheddar!"

Though the early pro pools and the spectacle of the finals were impressive.

I quintuple shined for the first time in a real match O_O tech skill~~

I haven't practiced Melee in like 2 months. I was amazed I didn't go 0-2 at paragon.

Meanwhile, my PM skill is improving I feel. My characters suffer from awful neutral options, so I'm working on getting the most out of my movements and not getting baited so much.

As fun as paragon was, it doesn't beat the friendliness and coziness of our small biweeklies. I'm going to start working on power rankings for our area too. We've been without them far too long.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
HTC Throwdown is going to be hype, but I super want to see that yung MVG Sandstorm rematch. Weston vs Adam for all the marbles. Haven't seen Armada's Fox or Peach since Evo *_*

lol right? I broke that dude's shield then completely messed up my punish haha.

sounds like a typical new age player, got all tech skill no fundamentals Kappa

also The Big House 5 compendium finally hit level 10, which is the mini-documentary by Last Stock Legends

...they should at least throw some pot bonuses to Smash 4 at level 11/12, come on now

Azure J

So guys, does anyone here know how I'd go about streaming Melee with the Elgato HD60? I've got a Smash itch and I'm curious to find out if there's some way I could do as much with this setup of mine. I tried Project M a while back but still had things to fiddle with in Dolphin.

non-esports commentary for melee? what does that mean?

also this happened

God damn, Luigi's the best.

lol right? I broke that dude's shield then completely messed up my punish haha.

Hype so real you get lost in it sometimes. That is truly the worst. :lol

Beats

So guys, does anyone here know how I'd go about streaming Melee with the Elgato HD60? I've got a Smash itch and I'm curious to find out if there's some way I could do as much with this setup of mine. I tried Project M a while back but still had things to fiddle with in Dolphin.

What are you playing Melee on? Dolphin, a Wii/Wii U, or Gamecube? If you're using Dolphin then you should be able to use something like OBS to stream the game window.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Nintendont on Wii U if that is an option. I think that might be lagless if you have a fast enough HDTV or monitor.

Otherwise, you would honestly be better off getting some dedicated hardware for capturing Melee than trying to use a HDMI-only capture card. You can buy a decent composite/S-Video USB "video grabber" and some extra cables for a lot less than the hardware to properly deal with HDMI. I use a Diamond VC500 but there are a lot them and I don't know which are the best.

Then I have a Monoprice Wii component+s-video cable. Composite to the TV, s-video for capturing, Wii sends signal through both so no video splitter needed. For audio you can use some cheap Y splitters, then you just need the RCA cables to go to the TV and capture dongle.

Can't help much on the software side if you want to stream. I don't, so I record uncompressed with Virtualdub and then compress afterward with Handbrake.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going to prove that there is a such thing as a dumb question.

How do you try?

I feel like I knowingly make sub-optimal decisions. For example, I had an opponent standing on stage, waiting for my get up option. I could have shino stalled to force him to give me some space and attempted an invincible get up, I considered it, very briefly, before going nah, roll up the ledge.

They wavedash back, fsmash, RIP Sheik.

Same thing happens in neutral. Consider some options for a situation and end up going with "just dash attack" and get punished super hard for it.

emb

How do you try?

I feel like I knowingly make sub-optimal decisions. For example, I had an opponent standing on stage, waiting for my get up option. I could have shino stalled to force him to give me some space and attempted an invincible get up, I considered it, very briefly, before going nah, roll up the ledge.

Same thing happens in neutral. Consider some options for a situation and end up going with "just dash attack" and get punished super hard for it.
My take on this: there are a lot of options in most situations. All have different risk/reward. All may have different timings and leniencies. The game happens fast.

When you're considering what to do, the options are coming to mind really quickly, and you have increasingly little time to decide. You might start to doubt the timing for whatever seems optimal, your execution, or your opponent's upcoming choice. As your decision cycles through options, you hit the point where you have to decide. Immediately after deciding and starting to carry it out, you keep thinking about the options. Time moves on a couple frames, and you keep getting updated information about the situation. Before it feels like the interaction is even beginning, the effect of hindsight is already kicking in.

Sorry, I accidentally wrote a bunch of words for what's probably a dumb answer. Tl;Dr: you're probably subconsciously processing additional information that leads you to one decision or the other, and hindsight may start earlier than we realize while playing.

It's hard to think about this game and play it at the same time. This game is just hard in general.

emb

Eleven just knocked Silent Spectre into losers in like... the first round of pools. Or at least really early.

Anth0ny

How do you try?

rub sweaty hands on jeans between stocks, re adjust glasses

you are now trying

emb

Other than Armada's matches, top 16 of Dreamhack looks like it's gonna be pretty hype.

Winners side right now has:
Professor Pro vs Amsah
Ice vs Android
Tekk vs Westballz

Did anyone else see that super cringeworthy HTC commercial on stream? Wtf was that shit.
Really awkward, awful commercial. But I guess we're talking about it now; that matters a little in marketing, right?

I barely get what it was supposed to advertise though. Just the HTC brand name? idk. I saw the one guy with a new phone. Guess I need to get the new HTC phone, Kappa.

emb

Great stuff from Druggedfox!

Also, Frootloop beat MacD and HomeMadeWaffles beat Plup. The winner of Plup/MacD is about to play Mango in losers.

Top Bottom