• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee Discussion Thread

FZZ

Banned
Wow the weighted chart for Smash 4's top 30 is eye opening

FmFZSE4.jpg

Comparing it to Melee's just shows the difference between the top players in each game

But you can also see how with Melee it's the top 6 and then a huge drop off. And then with Smash 4 it's ZeRo followed by a huge drop off, Nairo followed by a huge drop off, and Mr. R & Dabuz followed by one last huge drop off. Crazy.

Credit goes to r/smashbros for this lovely data.

Jigolo

Both games peaked at just over 70k.

I came to smash from traditional fighters, but I've kinda fallen off of them in the past year or so (waiting for the SFV hype). Does Smash consistently beat FGC in stream and tournament entry numbers? I don't think I've seen FGC stuff climb that high outside of EVO.
Surprisingly low imo. I was sure it'd be closer to 100k.

20XXTE will have an on screen input viewer.

It just keeps getting better. Too bad it will never be used in major tournaments despite being called "Tournament Edition."

I'm pretty sure our Biweeklies will use it. It's just too good not to.

But yeah, someone will complain about something and then it'll be back to stock Melee.

On that topic, has anyone used Nintendon't + the GC adapter to play Melee / 20XX over HDMI? We did one week with a BenQ monitor and our top players said they'd play on it - they couldn't tell if there was any lag, and it certainly didn't stop them from playing well.

They said it was mostly a placebo effect that they thought there had to be some lag due to the setup, but it felt pretty darn good to me.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'm pretty sure our Biweeklies will use it. It's just too good not to.

But yeah, someone will complain about something and then it'll be back to stock Melee.

On that topic, has anyone used Nintendon't + the GC adapter to play Melee / 20XX over HDMI? We did one week with a BenQ monitor and our top players said they'd play on it - they couldn't tell if there was any lag, and it certainly didn't stop them from playing well.

They said it was mostly a placebo effect that they thought there had to be some lag due to the setup, but it felt pretty darn good to me.

I've done that, but my plasma had a little lag. I have a sufficient monitor that wouldn't (EVO monitor), but I use it for my PC and don't feel like switching it back and forth.

xezuru

Honestly at this point, I just hope 20XX becomes a standard, then it would become the prime counter example to the so many people who are misinformed and instantly jump on the Project M hate train. Cause they literally follow the same modding procedures and dantarion has heavy coding influence in both. That said, if Nintendo could finally stop being pieces of shit and just fully support modding scenarios (and so many other obvious scenarios) such as 20XXTE, we could finally get post-game analysis videos with intractable replays similar in LoL fashion of full break downs.

Edit: On the subject of Smash Summit, I just now am seeing the voting and all that stuff ( was too tunnelvisioned on Genesis teasers), is Tekk supposed to be like the new aggressive mango Jiggs? I think i've seen him play before but don't quite remember, and as of this post he's #1 voted for this round. Personally, besides pity votes I have solid voting preference on n0ne, Kage, S2J, and Ken for the lols.

emb

The Smash Summit voting thing is actually pretty entertaining. For anyone who wasn't playing attention, OverTriforce, Android, and Spud were the ones cut off last night. A shame to see international players dropped, but I doubt they were going to full distance anyway.

These votes fluctuate like crazy though.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Played lots of PM last night with some people. I'd have preferred Melee but those setups had a lot more people and I was comfortable with the group I was in. Started doing pretty decently after a while, going about even with someone who plays a lot more and goes to pretty much all the weekly sessions and monthlies. Still playing Falcon in PM, might stick with him there and use Sheik in Melee.

Started playing worse toward the end though, but I was feeling sick by the time I got home so that might have something to do with it. Still, lots of fun, hopefully I can keep some momentum this weekend.

Also found out why they added a venue fee. Planning a big regional for next year so they need to raise funds for it. Lot of the regulars are also going to Tipped Off 11.

Bakkus

In just a month from now there will be a huge tournament (Eclipse) in my city, Oslo, Norway. Armada and Leffen will show up as they always do when the tournament pot is big here, but also lots of Americans will come. Plup, Axe and Westballz will compete, plus Wobbles and D1 will come to commentate. Hopefully even more notable smashers will announce that they're coming in the next weeks. Can't wait!

In just a month from now there will be a huge tournament (Eclipse) in my city, Oslo, Norway. Armada and Leffen will show up as they always do when the tournament pot is big here, but also lots of Americans will come. Plup, Axe and Westballz will compete, plus Wobbles and D1 will come to commentate. Hopefully even more notable smashers will announce that they're coming in the next weeks. Can't wait!

Yo, go play! Pros are usually willing to warm up by beating us mere mortals.

The day I got 3 stocked in PM by M2K at Paragon LA was pretty great :D

xezuru

4-5 days later, Amazon still on "Will ship soon" on my GC adapter, good stuff.
Hope I can get back into practice quickly, funny enough I feel like I was way better when I was first starting out getting into competitive because at that point my neutral and most other stuff (like it still is) was fuckin terrible, but for some reason I had super crispy platform movement for those first couple months, hopefully without controller johns and getting back into practice I can get some stuff dooooooone.

Edit:
Hax has a short visit to the Smash Practice household and picks DK...
"I think I've located a character worse than Falcon..." - Hax$

Genesis 3 registration update: Melee has passed Apex 2015 Smash 4 for 6th largest Smash tournament of all time, and early bird registration doesn't even close for another 24+ hours!

The Smash Summit voting thing is actually pretty entertaining. For anyone who wasn't playing attention, OverTriforce, Android, and Spud were the ones cut off last night. A shame to see international players dropped, but I doubt they were going to full distance anyway.

These votes fluctuate like crazy though.

Chillin, MacD, ChuDat gone now

on that note, the donation drive is going up really fast, they've already hit level 3 out of 5 total

those 3 levels combined include:
HMW/Phil on the mic
$5000 added to the main prize pool
$2000 doubles tournament
$1600 added to the challenge pool (what's that?)
mirror challenge added to friendlies round
in-depth interviews with Wife
$500 iron man match between the top 4 (single elimination, 5 characters)

that's a lot of stuff

MLG IS THIS WEEKEND?

what the faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack

who's going?

Reddit sez:

"Notable attendees, credit to juddy_96:

Melee: Hbox, M2K, Axe, Nintendude, Wizzrobe, Druggedfox, Chillin, Bladewise, Blea Gelo, Prince Abu

Smash 4: ZeRo, Nairo, ANTi, ESAM, Mr. R, MVD, Ally, M2K, NAKAT, False, Fatality, 6WX, Nick Riddle, Wizzrobe, and several of Texas' best players including Trela, Megafox, Grimturtle, The Wall, Jbandrew, and SaSSy"

Anth0ny

Reddit sez:

"Notable attendees, credit to juddy_96:

Melee: Hbox, M2K, Axe, Nintendude, Wizzrobe, Druggedfox, Chillin, Bladewise, Blea Gelo, Prince Abu

Smash 4: ZeRo, Nairo, ANTi, ESAM, Mr. R, MVD, Ally, M2K, NAKAT, False, Fatality, 6WX, Nick Riddle, Wizzrobe, and several of Texas' best players including Trela, Megafox, Grimturtle, The Wall, Jbandrew, and SaSSy"

thanks!

smash 4 looks fucking stacked but no one is really coming for melee. weird. $10k pot you'd think people would show.

Quenk

IIRC, Mango decided not to go to MLG because it's his son's birthday.

I hope Leffen is getting things sorted out for whenever the next major is. I haven't heard much about his situation lately.

emb

Sounds like Hbox will win MLG for sure. I could see M2K taking one set off, maybe, but not two.

Who knows, hopefully Axe or DruggedFox will break out and just win this one.

thanks!

smash 4 looks fucking stacked but no one is really coming for melee. weird. $10k pot you'd think people would show.
If there's such a thing as too much Melee, I think we have it now. Big House was a couple weeks ago, Summit is in a couple weeks, Dreamhack in another couple. Top players have to be fatigued at least a little trying to make it even to most majors.

Sounds like Hbox will win MLG for sure. I could see M2K taking one set off, maybe, but not two.

Who knows, hopefully Axe or DruggedFox will break out and just win this one.

If there's such a thing as too much Melee, I think we have it now. Big House was a couple weeks ago, Summit is in a couple weeks, Dreamhack in another couple. Top players have to be fatigued at least a little trying to make it even to most majors.

Have we reached the Dota 2 horizon of "too many tournaments"?

W E M A D E I T B O Y S

also for The Smash Summit, level 4 just got unlocked, this includes the following:

Toph and Scar show (maybe they'll do commentary too?)
prize pool bonus increased from $5000 to $8000

edit: Genesis 3 Melee hit 888 entrants! this isn't a Chinese tournament though, so that doesn't mean anything

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Going to go play tomorrow. Going to show up early and warm up, I'm pretty confident I can win some sets if I play as well as I was the other night. Took me 30 minutes or so to really get going while I was there.

This tech chase trainer is pretty neat. Started doing pretty well on it other than mixing up inputs for no tech and tech in place.

Tripon

Is there a thread up for MLG Orlando? Melee is up on: http://tv.majorleaguegaming.com/channel/smash

Also, Summit votes have INSANE fluctuation, looks like n0ne will probably be out, still hoping for in order: Kage, S2J, N0ne, Zhu, ???, Ken
Yeah, I try to include everything, but if anybody wants to create a Smash tournament thread for whatever reason, just pm before hand so I can link it to you instead.

Also, I believe the tournament is in New Orleans.
Tripon made a thread for tournaments happening this weekend:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1125306

Daouzin

Blur linked to this awesome blog about Bombsoldier's legacy and the impact he had onMmelee. It is a really cool read.

http://phantomhit.com/2015/10/bombsoldier/

Oh man, that article took me back. A close friend of mine, that is no longer with us, was Undisput3d. I can't believe he got 9th at FC3!

Also, FC3 was where I beat HugS in a $200 money match.

Such a crazy time and the article captured it perfectly. My close friend is Forward (notable Falco of that era), so we always thought Bombsoldier was over rated. However we were super hyped for those videos.

Edit:

Also, another cool video to link people to:
Why Super Smash Brothers Melee is Unique

MLG top 12

Winners Semifinals
Hbox vs Druggedfox
M2K vs Axe

Losers Bracket
Blea Gelo vs Bladewise
Wizzrobe vs TaylorHJ (who the fuck is this?)
Nintendude vs Lee Martin (so little talent here, a semi-retired Brawl player makes it ayy)
Prince Abu vs Chillindude

FZZ

Banned
I actually wanted to see M2K vs. Druggedfox

The theory that they are the same person robot continues.

Edit: Watching Mayhem and MacD was doing fucking insane stuff with Peach but SFAT ended up winning. Up smash, yay...

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Played bad in PM today.

Happy with my Melee play though, even though I went 2-2. I won both my wins pretty comfortably. First loss was to the #1 seed and the top player in the state. It was ugly, if I could edgeguard better it might have actually been relatively close. Other loss came down to the wire, might have won but if not for being predictable after taking stocks so he was able to get some good punishes off that.

Played tons of friendlies against some of the better players in the region for a while and was doing pretty well. Even played some doubles, granted I was teamed with the best player of the four of us, but we won nearly every game and I feel like I was making a difference, mostly piling on damage or tanking stocks. He was Fox, so he got most of the KOs.

All in all I feel like I'm getting better at punishing by converting off a grab or a hit. Still a mess in neutral and I can't edgeguard, but it's progress. Need to keep going on Wednesdays and practicing and entering the monthlies and I should be able to keep it up.

FZZ

Banned
M2K vs. Axe was the best Melee set of MLG by far

Everything else has been meh. Hopefully we get Druggedfox vs. M2K in loser's now.

jwillenn

Melee HD? How about Melee Mode for Smash 4 instead? Bring in some of the missing stages and cast and Melee-fy the combat...

FZZ

Banned
Melee HD? How about Melee Mode for Smash 4 instead? Bring in some of the missing stages and cast and Melee-fy the combat...

Literally all they need to do is change movement options, ledge mechanics, and change airdodge and hitstun mechanics. Fuck L-Cancelling it's superfluous.

Plus the bigger roster would make things much more interesting.

A man can dream can't he ;_;

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

That would basically amount to making an entirely new game and slapping it into Smash 4 as a mode.

Throwing Melee on the eshop as a VC game would be much faster, easier, and more appealing to Melee players. I honestly think anything else would cause more problems than it would solve.

Daouzin

Literally all they need to do is change movement options, ledge mechanics, and change airdodge and hitstun mechanics. Fuck L-Cancelling it's superfluous.

Plus the bigger roster would make things much more interesting.

A man can dream can't he ;_;

People always hate on L Canceling, and I get why, but L Canceling adds a natural tech skill ramp up on fast characters and it also forces people to have to play better under pressure.

It's a nice barrier between the focused and the nervous. Having a mechanic in the game that forces people to hone their craft while also helping the viewers potentially read into the emotion of the player is kind of cool.

I'd be okay with L Canceling being taken out, but it was in Smash 64 (Z Canceling), that I think it should stay in regarding any new Melee sequel.

Throwing Melee on the eshop as a VC game would be much faster, easier, and more appealing to Melee players. I honestly think anything else would cause more problems than it would solve.

I agree with this, but only because I don't trust Nintendo to actually examine the scene and make something smart. Since I've been in the Melee scene since 2004 and the majority of my friends play Melee I can honestly say that we would LOVE a new Melee and a Melee mode in Smash 4. We always say that if PM was what Brawl would have been than we definitely wouldn't be playing Melee anymore.

We want to move on, but it has to actually scratch the Melee itch. PM does that, it's just a bit janky.

FZZ

Banned
That would basically amount to making an entirely new game and slapping it into Smash 4 as a mode.

Would Melee players be down with the infamous dark hue that all Wii U VC games have?

People always hate on L Canceling, and I get why, but L Canceling adds a natural tech skill ramp up on fast characters and it also forces people to have to play better under pressure.

It's a nice barrier between the focused and the nervous. Having a mechanic in the game that forces people to hone their craft while also helping the viewers potentially read into the emotion of the player is kind of cool.

I'd be okay with L Canceling being taken out, but it was in Smash 64 (Z Canceling), that I think it should stay in regarding any new Melee sequel.

It just ends up becoming something that is better in almost every single option, and all you're doing is inputting a button for no reason.

It just becomes a drag and puts more wear and tear on player's hands. I'm down for more auto-cancelling moves personally, timing a move perfectly so the landing lag is minimal and you're not too antsy with your combos seems much better imo.

Daouzin

L canceling is important. Any scrub picking up fox with auto l canceling would be bad.

Agreed, people act like it's not hard and that there isn't some nuance to it. L canceling against Ice climbers or a shield is different than landing a hit on a character.

Having to work for tech skill isn't a bad thing.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Would Melee players be down with the infamous dark hue that all Wii U VC games have?

Nobody would care. Have you seen Melee setups at tournaments? I doubt ours are any different than anywhere else, you've got dozens of different brand CRTs and the game looks different on each one. Some are super bright and oversaturated, some are dark and dingy looking, others have completely screwed up colors on the corners. Nobody cares though because it's still Melee.

Daouzin

It just becomes a drag and puts more wear and tear on player's hands. I'm down for more auto-cancelling moves personally, timing a move perfectly so the landing lag is minimal and you're not too antsy with your combos seems much better imo.

I get where you're coming from, but I see it as separating the interested from the devoteed and I think it would give fast characters too big an advantage.

Also, why go for L canceling if you're going to edge cancel anyway?

Smash is a momentum based game, requiring L cancels strengths that aspect of the game. You can see it when high level players start flubbing tech skill. Mew2king's mental state isn't what it needs to be for a high level competition and you see that when he competes, you don't need a commentator for that. It's just another aspect of how Melee really does show you a players mind/personality. It also makes super fluid movement and combos more artful.

Low level players miss L Cancels all day. The beauty of Melee is that you really do get better every time you sit down with it, L canceling is just a small component of that, but all of the components might be what makes the game so beautiful.

Nobody would care. Have you seen Melee setups at tournaments? I doubt ours are any different than anywhere else, you've got dozens of different brand CRTs and the game looks different on each one. Some are super bright and oversaturated, some are dark and dingy looking, others have completely screwed up colors on the corners. Nobody cares though because it's still Melee.

Nothing could be MORE true lol.

So perfectly accurate to the scene. I've played Melee friendlies at tournaments off of like 10 inch screens that have been color warped by a magnet.

Top Bottom