• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee Discussion Thread

xezuru

For Marth spacie chaingrabs, pivotgrabbing should be ACTUAL pivot grabs and i shouldn't be jump cancelling right?
Timing is tight, having trouble shrug.

ec0ec0

For Marth spacie chaingrabs, pivotgrabbing should be ACTUAL pivot grabs and i shouldn't be jump cancelling right?
Timing is tight, having trouble shrug.
Like you said, the timing is tight, so you only go for the pivot grab when it is absolutely necessary. Basically, you need it for slightly behind di at low percents. Sometimes you also need it for neutral (no) di at low percents, but depending on percent you can simply delay the grab for the same result. Above a certain percent, you can just dash dance jump cancel grab instead (which is easier :p).

I don't want to search on the internet now, but this came to my mind:

A simple yet usefull "[Marth] Chaingrab On Spacies Tutorial" by Kira: https://youtube.com/watch?v=HSEcRDiOSqk
If i remember correctly, there was a particular moment when the commentary contradicted the video, but you had the video anyway.
Some of the youtube comment probably contain some info with some extra details.

You can complement that with Kadano's marth stuff thread. Scroll down until you find the fox section. There's a table describing how to get the regrab on fox for neutral di depending on percent: http://smashboards.com/threads/kada...#8212;advanced-frame-data-application.337035/

Here's the comment section of the melee reddit about kira's tutorial: https://reddit.com/r/SSBM/comments/3hvkzy/how_to_chaingrab_foxfalco_as_marth/

The comment section on the smash reddit (not the melee reddit) for the same video:
https://reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/3hvkxi/how_to_chaingrab_foxfalco_as_marth_xpost_rssbm/

If you want to find more info, just google "marth chaingrab reddit" or something like that and i'm sure that the will be plenty of threads (as people tend to ask about it) and in the comments there will probably be links to mew2king stuff, smashboards posts, or something xD There's probably going to be more info on smashboards, but it will probably take time to look for it directly (on kadano's thread for example).

EDIT: although pivots are more difficult, they may be usefull even when they are not "neccesary". For example, when you're at very low percents where it is difficult to react to your oponents di a go with the proper option, pivots may allow you to cover more than one option (neutral di + slightly behind di). You still have to guess, as depending on which option you choose, you won't be able to cover other option (di).

Anth0ny

I wonder if nintendo will release a smash bros one day where they sell 6 individual characters a year every other month

they've been experimenting with the "unlocking new content to keep the community excited" model with splatoon, but at least that stuff is free

I feel like it's only a matter of time before they start charging for this stuff

*hugs little baby melee disc*

I wonder if nintendo will release a smash bros one day where they sell 6 individual characters a year every other month

they've been experimenting with the "unlocking new content to keep the community excited" model with splatoon, but at least that stuff is free

I feel like it's only a matter of time before they start charging for this stuff

I kind of feel like half the reason behind the splatoon delivery model was a desire to ship the base game faster. No proof though.

I also think that as long as they are attempting to sell dedicated hardware and smash is one of their most successful flagship releases, it does the system-seller job better as a major event than as a service. Selling a tenth of a game a month for most of a year just doesn't seem like it'd have the same impact as a full game dropping.

EDIT: Unless.... they do a reimagining of smash with heaps of revamped singleplayer and party mode content as the base game and trickle out the character variety in a season pass.... yeah i could imagine that working business-wise but it doesn't seem like it'd jive with sakurai's design philosophies, or the way Nintendo handles its MP games in general, what with how they let the sp in MK and pokemon wither as well.

Tomohawk

I kind of feel like half the reason behind the splatoon delivery model was a desire to ship the base game faster. No proof though.

I also think that as long as they are attempting to sell dedicated hardware and smash is one of their most successful flagship releases, it does the system-seller job better as a major event than as a service. Selling a tenth of a game a month for most of a year just doesn't seem like it'd have the same impact as a full game dropping.

I thought splatoon datamining revealed that most of that stuff was already done.

Anth0ny

EDIT: Unless.... they do a reimagining of smash with heaps of revamped singleplayer and party mode content as the base game and trickle out the character variety in a season pass.... yeah i could imagine that working business-wise but it doesn't seem like it'd jive with sakurai's design philosophies, or the way Nintendo handles its MP games in general, what with how they let the sp in MK and pokemon wither as well.

lets also not forget that we don't know if sakurai will be back for the next smash

I mean he probably will, but you never know. if someone less... insane takes over smash (and I mean that in the best way, he pumps content into his games like no other), we could see some radical changes.

Azure J

Is it weird that I feel like I'd be genuinely interested in this delivery method? More chances for exciting shake ups in character game play and Smash Hype becomes a generation long thing versus one time and a half with DLC.

Is it weird that I feel like I'd be genuinely interested in this delivery method? More chances for exciting shake ups in character game play and Smash Hype becomes a generation long thing versus one time and a half with DLC.

I dunno about you, but I'm not going through all those filler hype posts again.

yes I know I did plenty of that myself

I thought splatoon datamining revealed that most of that stuff was already done.

Some of it was on-disc at the start but I believe a lot of what's been coming out lately was pushed in later updates. it was still discovered via data mining, just not the first batch of it. I have fallen off of my splatoon obsession slightly so i'm not up to date.

lets also not forget that we don't know if sakurai will be back for the next smash

I mean he probably will, but you never know. if someone less... insane takes over smash (and I mean that in the best way, he pumps content into his games like no other), we could see some radical changes.

Yeah i know what you mean. I guess we can take a full survey of what nintendo's other products do this generation and early next to try to predict how it'll go.

So far it actually seems like every other game is giving more per dollar than smash as far as dlc, so at least that part is cause for optimism. MK8 was a solid value. The Hyrule warriors season pass literally gave me more gameplay content than i will ever be able to finish without abandoning all other hobbies. Mario golf 3d was a fair size relative to the base game too.

I don't know if there's any major titles being run purely as a service liike steel diver sub wars so i guess we don't have good predictive power yet.

Anth0ny

the hype would be insane, no doubt

remember the brawl dojo? well instead of hyping up character reveals on the website, we'd be hyping next month's playable character.

dystopian future: smash 5 launches with the original 12 from smash 64 + 4 newcomers, everyone else is paid dlc. a new character is released every month until smash 6 drops.

seems crazy, right? tfw street fighter v is launching with 16 characters

emb

Smash as a service... not something that would make me wanna live on this planet any more. It'd convince me not to buy it at all. I'd just ignore it, unless it had mechanics that were super close to Melee's. Then I'd begrudgingly give away all of my money.

Daouzin

Smash as a service... not something that would make me wanna live on this planet any more. It'd convince me not to buy it at all. I'd just ignore it, unless it had mechanics that were super close to Melee's. Then I'd begrudgingly give away all of my money.

That's what I was thinking. I'm not one to get excited by a particular stage or item or mii outfight. Only characters excite me. The one exception was when they announced Dreamland. That was hella hype.

Again though, that's the Melee love in me. So that could work for me, but only if the game was super close to Melee.

Pappasman

I honestly wouldn't mind smash or any other fighting game launching with 20 characters then releasing like, 4 a year or something. I think its awesome SFV is doing that.

Then you could hype people up by doing a returning character, new character, returning, new, etc. and make it a big mystery and drop hints and stuff. Keep people engaged.

Codeblue

I think the SFV model would do Smash some real good.

I felt like 4 was way too big, and thought the series was due for a reboot with regards to roster size, which is getting so large that it's affecting side content like target tests. I like the idea of them starting with a small roster and slowly filling it over the years and making DLC unlockable.

GamerJM

Banned
That's what I was thinking. I'm not one to get excited by a particular stage or item or mii outfight. Only characters excite me. The one exception was when they announced Dreamland. That was hella hype.

Again though, that's the Melee love in me. So that could work for me, but only if the game was super close to Melee.

I'm in this weird position now where I get hyped for Smash 4 DLC characters even though I don't really play the game. I guess I just like seeing characters I like in Smash, even if I'll probably only play them a little bit and then never touch them again.

Daouzin

If anyone is interested, the hackpack has an official release date now, November 28th.
20XX Tournament Edition - Countdown Trailer

I'm in this weird position now where I get hyped for Smash 4 DLC characters even though I don't really play the game. I guess I just like seeing characters I like in Smash, even if I'll probably only play them a little bit and then never touch them again.

Yeah, I'm the same way. I got hyped for Ryu and Roy, even bought them, but I've probably used Roy for about 20 matches and Ryu for 15 or less.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
There isn't any reason to believe 20XXTE will be used at any major tournaments. As much as people want to think otherwise, the situation isn't any different than PM. Nintendo isn't going to let it happen.

Daouzin

There isn't any reason to believe 20XXTE will be used at any major tournaments. As much as people want to think otherwise, the situation isn't any different than PM. Nintendo isn't going to let it happen.

I think it will be used at ALL major tournaments, but I do believe that the stream set up will be the only one that doesn't feature it.

As far as I can tell all major TOs are super excited about it and are likely to use it to record off stream matches. The difference between PM and the hack pack is that the hack pack just makes Melee better, but the core game is exactly the same. PM is the community's attempt to "fix" or make Brawl "playable," depending on your level of distaste of Brawl. I think it's VERY different.

If Blur or others thought streaming the hack pack would be a big issue I think they would have mentioned that warning by now. JC stays in the loop when it's relevant so I'm sure they've reached out to him regarding it.

Pappasman

Ya as long as the stream runs default melee its all good.

I really want to get my hands on a 20xx mem card. Are they still available?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I think it will be used at ALL major tournaments, but I do believe that the stream set up will be the only one that doesn't feature it.

As far as I can tell all major TOs are super excited about it and are likely to use it to record off stream matches. The difference between PM and the hack pack is that the hack pack just makes Melee better, but the core game is exactly the same. PM is the community's attempt to "fix" or make Brawl "playable," depending on your level of distaste of Brawl. I think it's VERY different.

If Blur or others thought streaming the hack pack would be a big issue I think they would have mentioned that warning by now. JC stays in the loop when it's relevant so I'm sure they've reached out to him regarding it.

The issue is that both use exploits to run custom code. What they do with that custom code doesn't really matter, in either case Nintendo isn't going to be happy with it.

I'd like to be wrong though, having off-stream matches recorded and uploaded would be great.

ChrisD

I honestly wouldn't mind smash or any other fighting game launching with 20 characters then releasing like, 4 a year or something. I think its awesome SFV is doing that.

Then you could hype people up by doing a returning character, new character, returning, new, etc. and make it a big mystery and drop hints and stuff. Keep people engaged.

Replying to this after subject has changed, and as a random poster to boot, but I believe this model just wouldn't have worked on Smash 4 due to the Wii U's point in the market. And now any new Smash games will be in an awkward position where they're coming off the back of 4, with it's what... 50 roster?

I would love for it to happen though. 20~ to start, 6 more each year. A Smash character every other month. Endless hype trains.

Tomohawk

Looks like leffen can't make it to the summit and shroomed is going in his place. Was really looking forward to him vs s2j and the gods.

xezuru

Looks like leffen can't make it to the summit and shroomed is going in his place. Was really looking forward to him vs s2j and the gods.

Super bummer, losing out on pretty much the only consistent godslayer, but more importantly, loosing out on pretty much the most important recent smash personality while typical norwak/cali personalities already take up so much.

Pappasman

PP's Falco is amazing. His spacing and pace of play are so impressive. Nobody else plays like him.

Edit: PPMD Kreygasm wins Canada Cup.

Tripon

Hey guys, I've been making FGC threads on gaming when there's enough tournaments to justify it. I also been including Smash tournaments in my write ups unless another person wanted to make a thread for it.

I know Smash summit is coming up. If somebody wants to either create a thread, or do a write up so I can include the info in the thread for next week, I would appreciate it. If that doesn't happen, I'll try to include as much info as I can, but I can't promise, it'll be the stuff you might be looking for outside of stream schedules, twitch channels, etc.

Thanks.

Tomohawk

I know Smash summit is coming up. If somebody wants to either create a thread, or do a write up so I can include the info in the thread for next week, I would appreciate it. If that doesn't happen, I'll try to include as much info as I can, but I can't promise, it'll be the stuff you might be looking for outside of stream schedules, twitch channels, etc.

Thanks.

Crap I would have loved to do it, but exams are killing me QQ.

The line about The Moon got me. Perfect xD

Ya it was such corny goodness, I want to see more videos like this.

Top Bottom