• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google announces availability of new Chromebook and the Chromebox

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anything that runs Chrome OS will always be able to run Chrome OS.

What makes you think that? Google likes to push boundaries, and at some point they will probably cut off updates for obselete hardware.

They have already run into small fragmentation problems. Cr-48 took extra time to get the Aura update because it's so underpowered. The web can actually be quite demanding on hardware.

PGamer

fucking juniors
Simplicity. Ease of use. One of the best ways to access the web.
I guess, although everyone and their mother already knows how to access the internet on a Windows PC or Mac so I'm not sure how big of a point that is really. Also how exactly is Chrome OS a better way to access the web? Is it superior to the Chrome browser running on another OS?

It's already happening. When was the last time you heard of "this killer Windows app you absolutely must download?" Mobile took the spotlight from web apps for a bit, but things are swinging back towards the web right now as HTML5 matures.
I'd say Diablo III is a pretty killer Windows app, so... two weeks ago? I'm not sure that HTML5 has taken away the focus from mobile but I'm not a developer so I gues I'll have to defer to the experts on this.

Of course, that's the promise of the web. Web apps run on any OS with a competent browser. The appeal of Chrome OS, specifically, is:

- Not being bogged down by legacy cruft and applications, making it boot and run faster.
- Being made this century, meaning it's built with security in mind and doesn't require antivirus protection or any of that other crap.
- Less maintenance required in general; you're always using the latest version as updates install automatically, and you're never required to pay for them.

It's the only computer that gets better over time. If you buy a Windows laptop it's going to get pretty unusable three years from now. A Chromebook? It'll actually be much better than it is today.
Some of this I think is pretty arguable. Windows 7 with an EFI board and SSD already boots extremely fast. Windows 8 is even faster. Unless Chrome OS is instant on or pretty close to it I don't think there's a huge advantage here. As for running faster do you actually have any benchmarks demonstrating this? Considering Chrome OS doesn't have dedicated software really I'm not sure how you actually test it.

Modern versions of Windows, OSX, and Linux were all made this century and are focused on security. Also Windows is the only one that suffers from it to a degree that you would want antivirus software. Do you have any real proof that Chrome OS can't or won't potentially have malware in the future, especially if it actually does become a popular OS?

The update thing is pretty much true for Windows (and I'm assuming OSX) as well. Updates are free and install in the background.

Parts of that last paragraph are pretty much straight up false, at least for a computer literate user. "Windows bloat" is essentially a relic of the XP and earlier days. You only really see it now with people who install a ton of startup crap or get a bunch of malware that slows down the computer. I've run Windows 7 for years without performance degradation. And again, other OSs get updates over time along with the software they use. I'm sure you would agree that a three year old computer today potentially has a much faster web browser than it did originally. Chrome would have been in its infancy while Firefox 4 and IE 9 wouldn't have even been released yet.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
giga said:
Yep. iPads are awesome.

Call me when the iPad browser doesn't blow chunks compared to Chrome.

OK, and maybe some window management stuff from W7.

How much space are we talking, although?

5 GB free. >.> 100 GB for $5/month, and more.

What makes you think that? Google likes to push boundaries, and at some point they will probably cut off updates for obselete hardware.

They have already run into small fragmentation problems. Cr-48 took extra time to get the Aura update because it's so underpowered. The web can actually be quite demanding on hardware.

Cr-48 was pre-release developer hardware, it was never intended to be fully supported.

Do you have any real proof that Chrome OS can't or won't potentially have malware in the future, especially if it actually does become a popular OS?

The chrome web store has already served up malware, and probably will again in the future. Of course, Google removes it once it is discovered, but there are still 0-day exploits because they don't manually review submissions.

http://arstechnica.com/business/2012/03/googles-chome-web-store-used-to-spread-malware/

"When we detect items containing malware or learn of them through reports, we remove them from the Chrome Web Store and from active Chrome instances. We've already removed several of these extensions, and we are improving our automated systems to help detect them even faster." - Google spokesman

Dineren

Banned
It's too bad the touchpad on the chromebook doesn't support more gestures. I've really gotten used to them on my Macbook and it's hard to go back.

Dineren

Banned
I don't necessarily agree with Andrex's assessment of the iOS browser, but calling Chrome OS just a browser seems a bit silly. Even if it's true in practice that Chrome is the only app that runs with the way it is set up it feels like a fully operational desktop OS. It even has a Mac OSX launchpad style app launcher.

giga

I don't necessarily agree with Andrex's assessment of the iOS browser, but calling Chrome OS just a browser seems a bit silly. Even if it's true in practice that Chrome is the only app that runs with the way it is set up it feels like a fully operational desktop OS. It even has a Mac OSX launchpad style app launcher.
…that launches web apps. Literally bookmarks.

Dineren

Banned

That are in practice no different from a native app that requires an Internet connection (even that isn't necessary if the app is built for offine use). There are apps you would have no idea were a webapp if not for the OS you were running. It all depends on how they are made.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I guess, although everyone and their mother already knows how to access the internet on a Windows PC or Mac so I'm not sure how big of a point that is really. Also how exactly is Chrome OS a better way to access the web? Is it superior to the Chrome browser running on another OS?

I meant that more in reference to tablets, although there are obviously some advantages to having an entire operating system dedicated to the browser. They can do some things with the window manager, for instance, that wouldn't be replicable on other OS's.

I'd say Diablo III is a pretty killer Windows app, so... two weeks ago? I'm not sure that HTML5 has taken away the focus from mobile but I'm not a developer so I gues I'll have to defer to the experts on this.

Ah, but games are different. If you're a PC gamer then you shouldn't even be looking at Chrome OS yet.

Hopefully MS pulls their heads out of their butts and adds WebGL to IE so we have a unified way of getting great gaming content in browsers. Until then, though, Chrome already has Native Client and that's getting some pretty serious support (Bastion and From Dust as recent examples.)

As for running faster do you actually have any benchmarks demonstrating this? Considering Chrome OS doesn't have dedicated software really I'm not sure how you actually test it.

Consider The Verge's review. I quote:

"The new Series 5 is powered by a 1.3GHz dual-core Intel Celeron 867 processor and 4GB of RAM, and though those aren't exactly bleeding-edge specs they're more than up to the task of powering Chrome OS. I frequently had Rdio playing in the background, three or four windows open totaling 20 or so tabs, and a handful of site-specific apps running, and the Chromebook never once slowed down. I never even had a tab crash, and I'm all too used to seeing the "this page crashed" frowny face on desktop browsers. The device is also really quiet — there's a fan inside, but I only heard it if I put my ear right up to the computer.

I did eventually get the Chromebook to slow down and stutter a bit, but it required playing Angry Birds and Cargo Bridge simultaneously while streaming three YouTube videos and some Rdio music and having two dozen tabs open in the background. That's not exactly a "real-world" scenario, and for anything like regular use, you shouldn't run into any issue at all. Flash never crashed inside the browser, even on heavy sites like We Choose the Moon — Flash crashes constantly in Chrome on my Mac, and it's almost strange how much better it is in Chrome OS."​

Try doing any of that on another OS running a 1.3 GHz Celeron processor without performance issues. You can't. Since the entire OS is optimized for Chrome, Chrome flies. Other OS's have to worry about dozens of other background processes and native apps. Not so with Chrome OS.

Modern versions of Windows, OSX, and Linux were all made this century and are focused on security.

Their cores are still trapped in the 80s and 90s, however. Well, maybe not Linux distros, those tend to not be squeamish about breaking from the past.

And no, I especially wouldn't say Windows or OS X are "focused on security." Security on Windows means downloading an extra-OS app that always runs in the background, eating resources, trying to protect you from yourself. On OS X the situation is similar, except no one's bothered to make antivirus apps even though the door's wide open. Still, OS X has the benefit of being derived from Unix so the situation isn't a total mess like with Windows.

Do you have any real proof that Chrome OS can't or won't potentially have malware in the future, especially if it actually does become a popular OS?

Malware is something that will always exist on every platform because it hinges on user stupidity. Viruses and other kind of threats, however, I'm confident in saying will never appear on Chrome OS, even if it does become massively popular, due to the way it's architectured.

Parts of that last paragraph are pretty much straight up false, at least for a computer literate user. "Windows bloat" is essentially a relic of the XP and earlier days. You only really see it now with people who install a ton of startup crap or get a bunch of malware that slows down the computer. I've run Windows 7 for years without performance degradation.

And it requires constant maintenance. For the primary users Chrome OS is targeted at for the moment, that's an issue. Most people don't maintain their computers, most people never uninstall anything. For those people, Chrome OS would really make a difference.

Call me when Chrome OS isn't just a browser.

Why would I do that? It's exactly what it should be. I hope it never becomes anything more.

This is also another piece of FUD I've seen come up. A fair amount of Chrome Web Store apps are packaged apps, meaning they include all the assets in the CRX file that downloads. So it supports Web OS-like apps too.

Plus, Chrome apps run with elevated privileges from the get-go. Instead of always asking for your location, Chrome apps list that and are granted permission on the installation dialog. It's not killer functionality but it does highlight the difference between installing a web app and just navigating to it from the URL bar.

giga

That are in practice no different from a native app that requires an Internet connection (even that isn't necessary if the app is built for offine use). There are apps you would have no idea were a webapp if not for the OS you were running. It all depends on how they are made.
Nonsense. I can easily tell which apps on the iPad are real native apps and those that are browsers in an app (like the Facebook app). The native iOS SDK provides a world of difference for apps.

Dineren

Banned
Nonsense. I can easily tell which apps on the iPad are real native apps and those that are browsers in an app (like the Facebook app). The native iOS SDK provides a world of difference for apps.

Well I'm talking about Chrome OS not the iPad. Of course you could tell whether or not an iPad app is native if it launches the browser.

kehs

Banned

Alternatively, the web browser intentionally limits webapps.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
No. Neither does Chrome for Android or IE on WP7.

Chrome for Android doesn't? That's pretty lame. Hopefully that's something they'll finish up for the non-beta release.

IE is pretty much expected. MS hates cool browser standards.

Call me when Chrome OS isn't just a browser.
That's the whole point of Chrome OS.

A web browser as a full OS. No native apps, just web apps.

I don't think it's there yet for casual users, let alone hardcore/power users; but to ask for native apps on Chrome OS is just dense.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
what's the point of having a chrome os and android os?

don't they essentially do the same thing?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Shouldn't be much different from a Chromebook outputting to a monitor I think.

Really want to try out a 550 though. I like the time I'm spending with my mom's OG Series 5 but the build quality is questionable (plastic feels super cheap and the hinge is really weak), plus lately a lot of tabs reload if I go back to them after navigating to a bunch of other tabs in the meantime. Ranges from annoying (most pages) to really fricking annoying (tabs with Flash or music playing or already played.) Probably a memory-conserving thing, I guess they didn't want to go the Windows route of page files and swapping or whatever (although with the SSD that shouldn't have been an issue speed-wise...)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I will DarkFlow!

I... I will...

iXmKp.jpg

kehs

Banned
This cr48 is getting long in the tooth and those that transformer book is temping the shit out of me. Google needs to send me more free shit to use.

DarkFlow

Banned
They let me go after I showed them my galaxy nexus. I live another day! Google was rolling deep. If you see this slowly coming towards your house run.

Zc3fb.jpg

Kalnos

Banned
$450 Samsung 5 500 (new, no 3G) vs $380 Samsung Series 5 3G (old).

Are the new features worth an extra $70 and no 3G? Do both versions support RDP?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
$450 Samsung 5 500 (new, no 3G) vs $380 Samsung Series 5 3G (old).

Are the new features worth an extra $70 and no 3G? Do both versions support RDP?

RDP?

The 550 has better hardware (in terms of quality and specs) that makes running the OS completely smooth, by all accounts. I've been using an original Series 5 for the past two weeks though and it's not bad though. Depends on if you need the spec bump.

Kalnos

Banned
RDP?

The 550 has better hardware (in terms of quality and specs) that makes running the OS completely smooth, by all accounts. I've been using an original Series 5 for the past two weeks though and it's not bad though. Depends on if you need the spec bump.

Remote Desktop. They added official support last I heard and I'd rather not have to use LogMeIn if I don't have to. I find that 99% of the time when I'm not at home I'm just web browsing but being able to remote into my Windows machine is very handy at times.

The new hardware looks great! I would have already bought it if the 3G was at $450.

Will have to sit and think about it some more I guess. :p

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I've never really understood the point of getting a Chromebook. Sure, the concept is interesting in some ways (I'm totally into cloud solutions), but it just seems to me like they can't really do anything. Everything a Chromebook can do, I can do with Chrome on my Windows laptop, right? And on top of that, I can do so many other things that a Chromebook can't do. So it just seems extremely limiting to me, even if it's cheaper. The question then becomes: Is it cheaper enough to make it worthwhile? Not from what I've seen. I'd rather spend a little extra and be able to do 1000x more things on it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Remote Desktop. They added official support last I heard and I'd rather not have to use LogMeIn if I don't have to. I find that 99% of the time when I'm not at home I'm just web browsing but being able to remote into my Windows machine is very handy at times.

The new hardware looks great! I would have already bought it if the 3G was at $450.

Will have to sit and think about it some more I guess. :p

Yeah, all versions of Chrome can use Remote Desktop Beta I believe. Pretty nifty service though I have yet to try it out myself.

Kalnos

Banned
I've never really understood the point of getting a Chromebook. Sure, the concept is interesting in some ways (I'm totally into cloud solutions), but it just seems to me like they can't really do anything. Everything a Chromebook can do, I can do with Chrome on my Windows laptop, right? And on top of that, I can do so many other things that a Chromebook can't do. So it just seems extremely limiting to me, even if it's cheaper. The question then becomes: Is it cheaper enough to make it worthwhile? Not from what I've seen. I'd rather spend a little extra and be able to do 1000x more things on it.

You aren't really who they're targeting right now, is perhaps the best way to put it. The Chromebook is honestly just a device that's ahead of its time. Once/if HTML5 truly takes off it will be an awesome device.

With that said, it should be $100-150 cheaper IMO.

I like the idea of a cheap Chromebox that I can connect to my TV. Apple TV/Roku etc are good but I'd like a slightly stronger feature set. a $150-$200 Chromebox would be amazing.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Google's new Samsung built Chromebook

$250

• 11.6’’ (1366x768) display
  • 0.8 inches thin - 2.5 lbs / 1.1 kg
  • Over 6.5 hours of battery 1
  • Samsung Exynos 5 Dual Processor
  • 100 GB Google Drive Cloud Storage2 with Solid State Drive
  • Built-in dual band Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n
  • VGA Camera
  • 1x USB 3.0, 1x USB 2.0
  • HDMI Port
  • Bluetooth 3.0™ Compatible

http://chrome.blogspot.co.uk/2012/1...paign=Feed:+blogspot/Egta+(Google+Chrome+Blog)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=S95J5BowMmk

https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/devices/landing.html

https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/devices/chromebooks.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom